2020-2021 Minnesota, Twin Cities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m a little confused about the PTE and CTE dates: was most waitlist movement expected to come then or are we still awaiting that movement?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m a little confused about the PTE and CTE dates: was most waitlist movement expected to come then or are we still awaiting that movement?
My understanding was, significant movement could happen around both dates. I think the most popular movement that is discussed on this forum is the alternate list/CTE deadline.

Someone please correct me if Im way off here!

My understanding was, significant movement could happen around both dates. I think the most popular movement that is discussed on this forum is the alternate list/CTE deadline.

Someone please correct me if Im way off here!
People have to narrow down to one acceptance by April 30th. Then July 1st, people with acceptances need to remove themselves from all waitlists (I believe). So I think that it would just cause a lot of people to drop off of the waitlist

Members don't see this ad :)
People have to narrow down to one acceptance by April 30th. Then July 1st, people with acceptances need to remove themselves from all waitlists (I believe). So I think that it would just cause a lot of people to drop off of the waitlist
Yep that was my understanding! I know people from my interview day who were on multiple waitlists so anything can happen.

i am (not so) patiently waiting for a call. i have answered two robo calls today with too much enthusiasm to just be disappointed about my car's extended warranty.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I'm guessing whoever in top 20 is IS. Anyone on the waiting list who is OOS and made it top 20?

I understand that MCAT has been optional throughout the admission evaluation process. Is MCAT required prior to matriculation?

Reactions: 1 user
I understand that MCAT has been optional throughout the admission evaluation process. Is MCAT required prior to matriculation?
Nope! This cycle the mcat was waived completely for those who hadn’t taken it.

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone with any updates? waiting game getting to me again :(
I got update from patel this morning that they are anticipating little movement between now and matriculation. Since you are #5, I'm guessing you have a great chace, but that's just my guess.

• Hmm
  • Care
Reactions: 2 users
I got update from patel this morning that they are anticipating little movement between now and matriculation. Since you are #5, I'm guessing you have a great chace, but that's just my guess.
Little movement as in little to no movement, or do they anticipate movement but just not as much as in previous years?

Little movement as in little to no movement, or do they anticipate movement but just not as much as in previous years?
No clue! On my previous email to patel, I mentioned that they were accepting 30-50 candidates off the waitlist previous cycles, and I asked her if they anticipate same or more movement compared to previous cycles. Her response was "little movement"

• Hmm
No clue! On my previous email to patel, I mentioned that they were accepting 30-50 candidates off the waitlist previous cycles, and I asked her if they anticipate same or more movement compared to previous cycles. Her response was "little movement"
I don’t even know how to feel. 😩 definitely trying to stay positive but dang.

• Care
I JUST GOT THE CALL -- I'm literally shaking

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 15 users
Any updates? Any thoughts or news? I know I get stressed out when it gets too quiet in here so I thought I’d start our thread for today lol. Still sending positive vibes everyone’s way🤞🏼💙

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Hi! First of all, thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to post this! I'm just wondering, where did you get the 30-70/ 65-70 numbers from? I'm unfortunately seeing that the numbers are closer to 10-40 people are taken off the waitlist based on previous threads. Ofc, I really hope your numbers are accurate.
Not OP, but I am also familiar with the 30-70 stat. I think these may have been the numbers listed in MSAR for typical WL movement, but I can’t verify since I’m no longer subscribed.

I do think the 30-70 stat may include people taken off the WL prior to the creation of the alternate list. With how late the list came out this year + reports on the thread of communication with admissions, it looks like movement is going to be very low from this point on.

Not OP, but I am also familiar with the 30-70 stat. I think these may have been the numbers listed in MSAR for typical WL movement, but I can’t verify since I’m no longer subscribed.

I do think the 30-70 stat may include people taken off the WL prior to the creation of the alternate list. With how late the list came out this year + reports on the thread of communication with admissions, it looks like movement is going to be very low from this point on.
Just based on seeing last years thread it looked like people from the ranked list in particular were pulled in the 60’s but I agree it sounds like this year it will not be the case.

Edit* I also looked through previous years’ threads and it seems like last year had unusually high movement from the ranked list.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! this thought kind’ve cheered me up a little bit but I know we had someone from this thread accepted this week and, the hotline has not yet been updated to reflect that. So, I was thinking, there could have been significant or a small amount of waitlist movement that just hasn’t been updated yet so that could potentially mean some good news is to come...idk just was thinking haha.

• Love
Hey everyone! this thought kind’ve cheered me up a little bit but I know we had someone from this thread accepted this week and, the hotline has not yet been updated to reflect that. So, I was thinking, there could have been significant or a small amount of waitlist movement that just hasn’t been updated yet so that could potentially mean some good news is to come...idk just was thinking haha.
I was thinking the exact same thing!

• Care
Does anyone know if it will be too late to apply for loans if accepted after a certain point, or is funding available year-round? I believe it will be too late for financial aid but I might be wrong about that..

Does anyone know if it will be too late to apply for loans if accepted after a certain point, or is funding available year-round? I believe it will be too late for financial aid but I might be wrong about that..
Admissions said that as long as you completed your FASFA, aid would be available.

Thank you so much!
Found it!

Financial Aid / Scholarship Advice: 1) Complete your FAFSA, add UMMS as one of your schools; 2) Consider student jobs/research assistantships as they pay for part of your tuition (anywhere from 25%-100%) and also provide a stipend, there are positions already posted and they recommend students start networking now; 3) Once you are accepted, you can ask about your financial aid qualifications and apply for anything available at the University; 4) The admissions office does award full rides, 50% (2 years), and smaller scholarships and these are "rolling awards" that start now and will likely end by July 1st, there's a specific criteria for each of these awards (not necessarily just based on merit) as they are based on the donors recommendation; 5) The financial aid office has their own process for scholarships, you can reach out to them directly about those awards

• Care
Found it!

Financial Aid / Scholarship Advice: 1) Complete your FAFSA, add UMMS as one of your schools; 2) Consider student jobs/research assistantships as they pay for part of your tuition (anywhere from 25%-100%) and also provide a stipend, there are positions already posted and they recommend students start networking now; 3) Once you are accepted, you can ask about your financial aid qualifications and apply for anything available at the University; 4) The admissions office does award full rides, 50% (2 years), and smaller scholarships and these are "rolling awards" that start now and will likely end by July 1st, there's a specific criteria for each of these awards (not necessarily just based on merit) as they are based on the donors recommendation; 5) The financial aid office has their own process for scholarships, you can reach out to them directly about those awards
This is beyond helpful thank you so much!

• Care
I emailed admissions inquiring about how frequent the waitlist would be updated just so I can stop calling the hotline every few seconds lol...but I wanted to share that in their response they mentioned there would be “limited movement” from the waitlist and while I wait I should prepare to reapply...I know before they did say there would be “little movement” so this isn’t much of an update, but I thought I’d share what I heard.

does this mean hopefully there will be some movement after this date? asking for a 100 friends. lol
I hope there will be! There are schools that have already started orientation and others who have CTE dates at the end of July so who knows what will happen!

• Care
  • Love
If we are on the waitlist we don’t have to do anything to our AMCAS application do we? Like there’s no commitment option for us until you’ve been accepted right? I just want to make sure I don’t miss anything.

• Care
If we are on the waitlist we don’t have to do anything to our AMCAS application do we? Like there’s no commitment option for us until you’ve been accepted right? I just want to make sure I don’t miss anything.
Nope! You’re good to go for now.

• Love