2020-2021 Minnesota, Twin Cities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Happy CTE day everyone!

Hope we see some movement for the WL folks :giggle:

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
Anyone happen to know whether or not the class is full? I was hoping they would email us today with an update.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone happen to know whether or not the class is full? I was hoping they would email us today with an update.
Somebody asked at our interview and she said with each deadline (PTE, CTE) it’ll take a few days to update the list. So it makes sense IF there are openings that you wouldn’t see immediate movement.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Somebody asked at our interview and she said with each deadline (PTE, CTE) it’ll take a few days to update the list. So it makes sense IF there are openings that you wouldn’t see immediate movement.
Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Saw your username with a post and thought it was going to be THEE post 😩. Hope news comes this week!!!
Sorry! 😔 Im the same way, every time I get a notification Im hopeful, then quickly disappointed. I hope we know something this week as well.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Random thought: I am happier at around #40 than I think I would be around #15. I'm at peace with having to reapply because I'm 99% sure I'm not getting in. Being so close and yet so far like those of you at the top of the list would wreck me mentally (even more so than this process already has :lol:).

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Random thought: I am happier at around #40 than I think I would be around #15. I'm at peace with having to reapply because I'm 99% sure I'm not getting in. Being so close and yet so far like those of you at the top of the list would wreck me mentally (even more so than this process already has :lol:).
I had this exact same thought! 😂

Reactions: 2 users

feels so good to be in the 80's 😏💅

Reactions: 3 users
feels so good to be in the 80's 😏💅
Lol after getting this email from Crystal on July 1st, I lost hope 💔 yall better reapply instead of waiting to hear back.

"Thank you for your email. Today is the CTE deadline for those that currently hold a seat in the class. I anticipate very little to no movement at this point. Sorry I do not have more favorable news. Please let me know if you have additional questions."

• Care
  • Wow
Lol after getting this email from Crystal on July 1st, I lost hope 💔 yall better reapply instead of waiting to hear back.

"Thank you for your email. Today is the CTE deadline for those that currently hold a seat in the class. I anticipate very little to no movement at this point. Sorry I do not have more favorable news. Please let me know if you have additional questions."
Oh wow! That’s unfortunate to hear. I wish they would send out an email if the class is truly full with every person committed. I definitely was expecting to see some movement, especially with later CTE deadlines and so many schools still pulling from waitlists and making decisions.

I feel a bit frustrated tbh; it seems as though they were/are aware that there was going to be little to no WL movement. So, why have a WL that goes into the 80s+? That's just giving people false hope. Very uncool.
I definitely agree with this! On the bright side, I'm taking this as them saying "we would take you if we had more room." I think that's a decent compliment, and if you interview earlier this next cycle they'd have no reason not to take you.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
I know this probably doesn’t say much but I also received the same email the other day upon asking for an update. “Thank you for your email. Great question. July 1st was the final deadline for accepted applicants to deny their offer of admission. At this time, we have had very little movement and based on what I am seeing I do not anticipate we will have a significant number of students withdraw. I am sorry I could not write with more favorable news.” Still possibly suggesting there might be a small amount of movement but idk, seems to be the same response as the very beginning. I guess we will see🤷🏽‍♀️

• Care
I know this probably doesn’t say much but I also received the same email the other day upon asking for an update. “Thank you for your email. Great question. July 1st was the final deadline for accepted applicants to deny their offer of admission. At this time, we have had very little movement and based on what I am seeing I do not anticipate we will have a significant number of students withdraw. I am sorry I could not write with more favorable news.” Still possibly suggesting there might be a small amount of movement but idk, seems to be the same response as the very beginning. I guess we will see🤷🏽‍♀️
Even if there is little movement, I hope they provide an update tomorrow. 🙏

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Just got the secondary for the new cycle's application. They said "Once slots have filled we will stop making interview offers." So at least this whole sh*tshow won't happen again!

• Care
Just got the secondary for the new cycle's application. They said "Once slots have filled we will stop making interview offers." So at least this whole sh*tshow won't happen again!
Do you know if U of MN is requiring the mcat or not this year?

Is anyone else frustrated that U of MN still hasn’t updated their waitlist movement voicemail since 06/28?

• Care
  • Hmm
Is anyone else frustrated that U of MN still hasn’t updated their waitlist movement voicemail since 06/28?
Yes!! Every week that goes by makes me feel more and more like a complete idiot that I applied. Im trying to think of all the people I can help in medicine to keep hope alive. 😔

• Care
This is my first time commenting on this thread or SDN in general, and I just want to say thank you to each and every one of you. You all have given me hope and strength, and we've been on this journey together. I am at #6 (original #11) on the ranked list. I understand and share in your frustrations, but let's remember that this cycle was new and tumultuous for us and UMN. I am sure many lessons have been learned since. I think there are two possible reasons why we haven't received an update post-CTE deadline:

1. Their class is simply full. If this is the case, I hope they tell us plainly and quickly because the CTE deadline was the last hope for significant waitlist movement. Anything after would almost entirely depend on deferments, which are rare. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I HIGHLY doubt that every accepted student committed on 7/1 to explain why they haven't updated the list since 6/28.

2. There was a good amount of waitlist movement and they are working on acceptance packages (financial aid, logins, class scheduling...etc) before calling students or sending updates. That process takes time depending on the number of students getting off the waitlist. I sincerely hope this is the case.

Either way, I sent an email to the Admissions Director, and I will update you guys if I hear anything back. Good luck, and whatever the outcome is, be proud that you made it this far, and don't give up!

• Care
Hi all - we just received a class list, and there are 175 incoming students listed, including MSTP. Unfortunately, I think this means the class is full. Sorry to not write with better news.

• Sad
Reactions: 8 users
Hi all - we just received a class list, and there are 175 incoming students listed, including MSTP. Unfortunately, I think this means the class is full. Sorry to not write with better news.
Thank you for letting us know. Wishing everyone the best moving forward💙

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
I just realized the hotline was updated yesterday. #3 is now #1 and more alternate list folks dropped.

• Care
Isn’t that the same position that was previously reported?
I don't believe so. #2 posted they were admitted so the assumption was there, but the hotline was not updated to reflect that update right away

Hey quick question about the humanities/social science writing prerequisite course. So I do not have a designated course that is writing intensive on my transcript, but I was wondering if a Spanish course about Spanish culture that had a 10+ page double spaced final essay and eleven 3.5 page double spaced essays throughout would fulfill this requirement. I have emailed the admissions department, but I was wondering if anyone here has any insight! I am just unsure because I do not know if foreign language counts or if they mean 10 page single or double spaced...aghh! Thank you!
Have you gotten an answer for this?

"It was a pleasure to interview you for the MD program. Your application to date has been on the ranked Alternate List. Your application has received its final review by the Admissions Committee. Regrettably, we will not be able to offer you a seat in the 2021 entering class." Did everyone on the WL get this email?

• Care
  • Wow
"It was a pleasure to interview you for the MD program. Your application to date has been on the ranked Alternate List. Your application has received its final review by the Admissions Committee. Regrettably, we will not be able to offer you a seat in the 2021 entering class." Did everyone on the WL get this email?
I have not received an email yet but that doesn't mean I won't. What time did you receive this?

I did 🥲... I just wanted to send hugs 🤗 and much Love 💕 to all my fellow applicants for the 2020-2021 cycle, whether or not you had a successful cycle, whether or not you are accepted to your top choice, we all share an unprecedented experience during this past cycle. It can only make us all stronger!

• Care
yup got that same email. Did they close the ranked waitlist? I didn’t think they re reviewed applicants once they were ranked.

yup, i got that email too. i suppose that means they've *basically* finalize their class, except for maybe the top 5 WL spots just in case students drop last minute. proud of all of us on the WL who made it this far! here's to a cycle that fulfills us this next year. lets get it ganggggg

• Care
I didn't get this email. Did anyone else haven't received this email?

So, some of us still have hope?
Im not sure but here's my theory--If the first 20-25 alternate list candidates do not receive the email today, I am hoping they offer us a deferral slot for next year's class. Other schools have done it but that's me being ridiculously optimistic. The odds of 25 people dropping between now and the first day of classes isn't likely so why else would they hold on to us?

Im not sure but here's my theory--If the first 20-25 alternate list candidates do not receive the email today, I am hoping they offer us a deferral slot for next year's class. Other schools have done it but that's me being ridiculously optimistic. The odds of 25 people dropping between now and the first day of classes isn't likely so why else would they hold on to us?
That would be awesome. I'm ok with deferral acceptance haha

• Care
That would be awesome. I'm ok with deferral acceptance haha
Same here! The only reason I have that theory is I have yet to talk to/see a post on this forum from someone who received the email and was in the first 25-30 slot. I could be wrong though. We will just have to wait and see. 🙏

• Care
honestly a deferral slot would be a dream come true. I really hope that's the case.. but would they really give deferred acceptances to top 40?
Great point and I have no clue! Just trying to figure out why they would keep that many people on the list a week before orientation.....

• Care
did anyone else who is still on the WL lost access to login the supplemental application?

really hoping for deferred acceptance at this point.
Is that even a thing? I researched about it and I haven't seen any school offered deferred acceptance for those who is in the waiting list. Deferred acceptance works for accepted students. I might be wrong but I wish there is deferred acceptance at this point tbh.