2020-2021 Minnesota, Twin Cities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is that even a thing? I researched about it and I haven't seen any school offered deferred acceptance for those who is in the waiting list. Deferred acceptance works for accepted students. I might be wrong but I wish there is deferred acceptance at this point tbh.
You are right! Accepted students are sometimes offered deferrals if a class is overfilled. Michigan has done this as well as at least two other schools (can't remember which ones) I saw a while back. I talked to a DO program faculty member who said his program also does it for waiting list candidates who are local.

Im not sure why Minnesota would keep 30+ people on an alternate list when others were released weeks ago. Hopefully we can all receive a verdict on our status soon as I believe orientation starts tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Not that this helps anyone feel better, but I did hear there are students at Minnesota who were accepted 2-3 days before classes started. I was told this by staff as well as friends of students. I don't mean to potentially give people false hope on this forum but just being transparent about what I've heard.

Reactions: 1 users
You are right! Accepted students are sometimes offered deferrals if a class is overfilled. Michigan has done this as well as at least two other schools (can't remember which ones) I saw a while back. I talked to a DO program faculty member who said his program also does it for waiting list candidates who are local.

Im not sure why Minnesota would keep 30+ people on an alternate list when others were released weeks ago. Hopefully we can all receive a verdict on our status soon as I believe orientation starts tomorrow.
Orientation starts on Friday, and classes start on 8/24.

We got a somewhat threatening email that our spot in the class would be rescinded if we didn’t check into orientation by Monday, so there’s definitely a chance that some spots open up.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve been on waitlists before and I’ve never seen a MD school accept students from the waitlist as deferrals for next year’s class. Students already accepted to the program can choose to defer but that’s it. The med schools shorten the waitlist when they are close to start of classes since it makes no sense to hold onto 80+ people at that point. They likely just cut the list in half.

Reactions: 2 users
At this point, unless you are under 5 away from getting accepted off the waitlist you can be confident that you aren’t getting in this year and need to move forward with this next application cycle. Your money to reapply hasn’t been wasted.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got the Rejection email. Not surprised but I wanna thank everyone on this thread who helped me answer my questions. Goodluck everyone! Xoxo

• Care
Reactions: 4 users