2020-2021 Minnesota, Twin Cities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
any news this week?

my app is almost ready to submit but still holding out hope for minnesota...

Members don't see this ad.

any news this week?

I saw 11 more were added to the FB page 😩
I suspect we won’t see much for movement until more CTE deadlines for other schools come.

I saw 11 more were added to the FB page 😩
I suspect we won’t see much for movement until more CTE deadlines for other schools come.
People may not have joined the Facebook group until they decided which school they were going to commit to or they just got around to joining since we are entering summer and they need to start thinking about getting ready for classes. New Facebook group members doesn’t necessarily mean there’s been waitlist movement. So there maybe more acceptances still to come.

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't think there's been any new acceptances since 5/10 reported here... granted, we are a small subset of applicants. if anyone has been newly accepted since, please let us know when & the date you interviewed? :)

any news this week?

You might want to submit to AMCAS with just 1 school sooner rather than later. You'd pay 170$ now, which would be wasted if you get in, but at least you'd know for sure you'd be verified on time.

Reactions: 5 users
You might want to submit to AMCAS with just 1 school sooner rather than later. You'd pay 170$ now, which would be wasted if you get in, but at least you'd know for sure you'd be verified on time.
absolutely. im polishing it up and i'll submit in the next day or two so i'll still be in the first batch. going to act as if it was an R from minnesota and move onto the next course of action

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Hey all, I posted a bunch here last cycle but found the forums too stressful this year. I got an A May 9. Interviewed Feb 9.

Having been rejected last year with what I thought was a strong application I know how brutal this is for those still waiting.

You can do this, just take the next right step.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Hey all, I posted a bunch here last cycle but found the forums too stressful this year. I got an A May 9. Interviewed Feb 9.

Having been rejected last year with what I thought was a strong application I know how brutal this is for those still waiting.

You can do this, just take the next right step.
What did you do different this year compared to last year?

What did you do different this year compared to last year?

TLDR: I'm a unique case (over 30 Veteran) but suggest networking hard to find research/clinical opportunities in unique places.

I did a lot of networking trying to find opportunities I could pursue. My job is very employee friendly and they connected me with our research department. I ended up with a publication as a result. I also spoke to some doctors at the VA about research opportunities but nothing came of that. I did recently see a payed research intern position on usajobs.gov, the federal governments job site. In fact, there's always some interesting jobs popping up there.

I also volunteered with the Medical Readiness Corp, though not a lot because their events were held during the work day.

I took a upper level humanities course and received an A, I had waited to fulfill this prereq because I figured my 2000 level from my alma mater was good enough. With COVID I decided this was a good use of time since in person clinical and shadowing evaporated for non- certified individuals (like myself). I did all this while planning a wedding to another MN resident which I used in the secondary question about why MN. We both love MN and staying here was really important for us.

On the other hand I actually applied later this year than last and ended up interviewing much later (interviewed Sep 2019 then Feb 2021).

I have some suspicions about why I got accepted this year that are pretty unique.

I was rejected post interview in the first batch of rejections last cycle. I kinda wonder if my MN resident status, which I claimed, had lapsed. I lived in NC for 12 years but since I was an active duty service member and then a student my residency never changed. I did have about 6 months between graduating and moving back to MN that may have made me a non-resident.

Just wanted to let you all know that I interviewed on 2/25 and was just placed on the waitlist! :) I am OOS. Another testament that the Twin Cities is holistic! Sending positive vibes to everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to let you all know that I interviewed on 2/25 and was just placed on the waitlist. Sending positive vibes to everyone!
Someone I know who interviewed 3/4 was just waitlisted also

• Care
Hey everyone, I just got an R this afternoon. Interviewed 2/2, WL on 4/20, Minnesota resident. U of M TC was the only school I applied to this cycle. Of course I'm disappointed, but at least now I have closure and can focus on this next application cycle.

I only found this forum a few weeks ago, but I am so glad that I did. As a nontrad, I have felt very alone during this process so getting to see others going through the same things felt really validating. You guys have been awesome, and I wish you all the best on your journeys to medicine :)

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
When do y'all think that the 3/10 interviewees will hear back? I'm hoping sometime this upcoming week....

!!!!! just got the acceptance call an hour ago!

i was NOT expecting that!

(also can whoever has the hookup please DM me the info to join the various groups? i need to move on housing lol)

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
!!!!! just got the acceptance call an hour ago!

i was NOT expecting that!

(also can whoever has the hookup please DM me the info to join the various groups? i need to move on housing lol)
Congrats!! When did you interview?! Were you placed on a WL?

oops yes sorry, i interviewed on 2/23, was placed in the "Wait List category" on 5/20, and received the acceptance call like one hour ago

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 8 users
oops yes sorry, i interviewed on 2/23, was placed in the "Wait List category" on 5/20, and received the acceptance call like one hour ago
Congratulations!!!!!! It must feel like such a weight is lifted.

• Care
I have an update from admissions: "The Admissions Committee is holding their last meeting this week and will have decisions to all remaining applicants by early/middle of next week."

Hope this helps someone. It certainly helps me!

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
I have an update from admissions: "The Admissions Committee is holding their last meeting this week and will have decisions to all remaining applicants by early/middle of next week."

Considering the late February and March interview dates that have yet to hear back, that's guaranteed to be over 100+ applicants that they're going to be making decisions on. I don't know how many applicants they decide on per meeting, but if they're just piling up everyone together and comparing over 100+ applicants in this one last go, that's....if not at the very least, quite a bit unfair for the remaining applicants......

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Considering the late February and March interview dates that have yet to hear back, that's guaranteed to be over 100+ applicants that they're going to be making decisions on. I don't know how many applicants they decide on per meeting, but if they're just piling up everyone together and comparing over 100+ applicants in this one last go, that's....if not at the very least, quite a bit unfair for the remaining applicants......
I hear you, I think it's less than 100 though, they had approx. 100+ left to review a month ago based on someone I talked to from the school.

Do we think this means the ranked list will be out next week? If everyone is scored when they're reviewed I feel like it would make sense....

Do we think this means the ranked list will be out next week? If everyone is scored when they're reviewed I feel like it would make sense....
Maybe, I certainly could have asked that question. Im also wondering if there are any seats available for direct accept since we are getting closer to CTE deadlines for schools.

Does UMN Twin Cities Campus has a GroupMe? If so, does anyone know how many admitted students are presently in it? I am wondering if this is a good way to estimate how full the class for Twin Cities Campus is. 🙂

Does UMN Twin Cities Campus has a GroupMe? If so, does anyone know how many admitted students are presently in it? I am wondering if this is a good way to estimate how full the class for Twin Cities Campus is. 🙂
Yes, there’s a GroupMe! There are currently 114 admitted students. Since it’s not one of the official groups that are shared by admissions, I think there are certainly some people who aren’t in it though.

Yes, there’s a GroupMe! There are currently 114 admitted students. Since it’s not one of the official groups that are shared by admissions, I think there are certainly some people who aren’t in it though.
Thank you for the information ! 🙏🏼☺️

I hear you, I think it's less than 100 though, they had approx. 100+ left to review a month ago based on someone I talked to from the school.
I hope it's less than 100 now. But my interview day seemed to have close to 60-70 people. Quite honestly, I don't know. I just don't think piling the remaining applicants together for one last comparison is fair to the applicants.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
I hope it's less than 100 now. But my interview day seemed to have close to 60-70 people. Quite honestly, I don't know. I just don't think piling the remaining applicants together for one last comparison is fair to the applicants.
Agree with you 100%! At this point, Im just believing that fate will take over and if I am meant to be accepted during this cycle, it will work out. It's the only way to maintain my sanity at this point after waiting for what feels like a year to receive a decision. I will be 34 next month so it's hard to wait and be old, knowing that if I don't get in this cycle, I'll probably be in my late 40s/close to 50 by the time I see a patient on my own. 😂

Sending positive vibes to everyone still waiting! Im rooting for you all! 🙏

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
Agree with you 100%! At this point, Im just believing that fate will take over and if I am meant to be accepted during this cycle, it will work out. It's the only way to maintain my sanity at this point after waiting for what feels like a year to receive a decision. I will be 34 next month so it's hard to wait and be old, knowing that if I don't get in this cycle, I'll probably be in my late 40s/close to 50 by the time I see a patient on my own. 😂

Sending positive vibes to everyone still waiting! Im rooting for you all! 🙏
Haha I feel you because I’m right there with you as far as age goes 🤪. Non-trad brings a lot of positives but the age thing can feel a bit awkward. But at the end of the day we’d still have decades doing what we love in medicine.

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
When do they usually release acceptances during the week??
Usually earlier in the week, same for rejections. Waitlist decisions are usually Wednesday-Friday. This is only based on what I have seen posted though and there have been exceptions.

Usually earlier in the week, same for rejections. Waitlist decisions are usually Wednesday-Friday. This is only based on what I have seen posted though and there have been exceptions.
Alright. Best of luck then to everyone still waiting if results are released this week.

Reactions: 6 users
What are the chances of getting off the waitlist at this point in the cycle? I’m holding on to hope cos I really like UM but this is brutal.

What are the chances of getting off the waitlist at this point in the cycle? I’m holding on to hope cos I really like UM but this is brutal.
I feel like this year is just so unpredictable. They could take 0 more, they could take 20 more before the first day of classes.

Rejected from U of M several minutes ago via email. Best of luck to the rest of you.

• Care
Reactions: 13 users