2020-2021 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone know to what extent it reflects poorly on an applicant not to speak in the information session? my interview i think went really well but i just felt like speaking during the info session or asking questions not only made me very anxious but was rare among participants in my group. it was just a few very vocal applicants going back and forth with the current students. i hope its not a huge red flag. it certainly didnt seem like a big deal.... thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know to what extent it reflects poorly on an applicant not to speak in the information session? my interview i think went really well but i just felt like speaking during the info session or asking questions not only made me very anxious but was rare among participants in my group. it was just a few very vocal applicants going back and forth with the current students. i hope its not a huge red flag. it certainly didnt seem like a big deal.... thoughts?

I’m I sure hope not. I couldn’t make mine due to work but I interviewed there last year so hoping it doesn’t reflect bad on me :(

Reactions: 1 user
I couldn’t do the information session either
I also hope it won’t effect me that much

It won't, the info session is completely optional, but highly recommended

Do acceptances come via phone call or email? Is anyone aware? Sorry if this has been answered already!

welp, I just had my interview and I think I totally messed up one question - but he was very nice and it was super conversational, especially at the end. yay! it was my first one!

During our info session they said they send an email at the end of the week, I didn’t receive one? Did anyone get an email

Would submitting secondaries now be too late?
Last year I submitted secondary around mid February and I got an interview around Mid April. To be fair, I did get waitlisted and never got an A, but I definitely think you could at least get an interview depending on your stats

Members don't see this ad :)
So for the "different backgrounds" question on the secondary, can like, different professional backgrounds count?

Would submitting secondaries now be too late?

Like @NateGentry12 said, I don't think it would be! Not to mention things have been kind of weird this year with the pandemic, and I (hope) schools will be empathetic to people getting things in late this year.

Last year I submitted secondary around mid February and I got an interview around Mid April. To be fair, I did get waitlisted and never got an A, but I definitely think you could at least get an interview depending on your stats
this is good to know. I do have higher stats than their avg, so hopefully I will be okay. Thanks

does anyone know if the school accepts pre-II nonacademic updates?

So for the "different backgrounds" question on the secondary, can like, different professional backgrounds count?
I think it can as along as it shows a pervious experience/ life that is different from yours. Could be from a different set of belief, race, culture ,education......

I've seen a lot of people struggle with the diversity question, they seem to think it only applies to race. What it actually applies to is experiences and activities that make you stand out, and make you unique when compared to others.

Hi! I sent in some early applications this cycle, and am thinking about sending in a second round of apps.. is it too late to apply? If anyone has any insight on my chances, any advice is appreciated! I have a LizzyM score of 62.5, strong extracurriculars, and letters from 2 MDs & professors that should be strong. Any advice? I am an OOS application (from NC). Thanks!

Does anyone know about the Arkansas campus? I interviewed October and waiting to hear back. Mcat is below 500 but I do have some strong ECs, research , and letters including one from a. DO. Was a pretty early interview so was just wondering if anyone had any insight

Does anyone know about the Arkansas campus? I interviewed October and waiting to hear back. Mcat is below 500 but I do have some strong ECs, research , and letters including one from a. DO. Was a pretty early interview so was just wondering if anyone had any insight
What do you want to know?

My chances of getting an A lol I think the interview was fine. Straightforward questions.
From what I’ve read they have a pretty high Post II acceptance rate. So if you’ve been given an interview your chances are good. We should be hearing back mid November

I've been complete since like late July and haven't heard anything. I did retake the MCAT in September though. Is anyone else on the same boat?

What do you want to know?
I have a 498 MCAT and they accepted me in the first batch of acceptances. 3.57 cGPA, 3.60 sGPA, 3.90 grad GPA. I am from Arkansas though, so probably had something to do with it.

Reactions: 2 users
I've been complete since like late July and haven't heard anything. I did retake the MCAT in September though. Is anyone else on the same boat?
I’ve been complete since mid June and haven’t heard anything. Didn’t retake later or anything so they’ve had all my stuff since mid June

I’ve been complete since mid June and haven’t heard anything. Didn’t retake later or anything so they’ve had all my stuff since mid June
Same. Idk if this means we are basically out of the race or do you think we still have a shot?

Same. Idk if this means we are basically out of the race or do you think we still have a shot?
I’d say we still have a shot. I’ve seen schools I’ve applied to give IIs to people who applied around the same time as me in the past week or two. So at this point in the process I’d still be hopeful until I get an official R

Reactions: 1 users
Just fyi, to maybe give everyone some peace of mind, if you don't hear anything from NYTICOM, it is NOT a silent R. They will continue to reassess applications throughout the cycle, every four weeks. Do not worry if you haven't heard anything since the interview, it means you're still in the running for a spot!

Reactions: 4 users

I’ve been complete since June but retook the MCAT 7/31. I sent NYIT an update when the score came out mid-August, and they confirmed receipt of the update. Haven’t heard anything since. 3.69 cGPA, 3.80 sGPA, MCAT 499 —> 510. Legacy.

Is the interview blind or does the interviewer have access to your primary + secondary and ask questions from both pieces of your application? Sorry if this has been answered already!
I interviewed for NYITCOM OW location and my interviewer had access to my secondary but not my primary. I'm not sure if she knew my stats or not. Good luck!

My interview experience wasn't perfect
Do you think I should send an update letter and a letter of interest, with an apology for the issues I had communicating with the interviewer?

I’m in a similar boat, except I interviewed in september. I didn’t get an acceptance in October but the next round will likely come out nov 13th, fingers crossed!

I’m in a similar boat, except I interviewed in september. I didn’t get an acceptance in October but the next round will likely come out nov 13th, fingers crossed!
How do you feel your interview went? And was it Arkansas campus

How do you feel your interview went? And was it Arkansas campus
Yes, Arkansas. My interview went really well. I was hopeful for an October acceptance, but I didn’t get one. I’m really hoping to hear back this month.

Yes, Arkansas. My interview went really well. I was hopeful for an October acceptance, but I didn’t get one. I’m really hoping to hear back this month.
Fingers crossed for both of us, i interviewed 10/19.

09/02/2020 - Interview Invite
09/09/2020 - Interview
10/02/2020 - Accepted at Jonesboro

Decent GPA and MCAT

Anyone else for sure going to the NYITCOM Jonesboro? I’d love to get in touch with the class of 2021 and maybe even plan for a social next year before classes start.
I am 100% going to NYIT-Jonesboro!

What day of the week did the last round of acceptances come out (Jonesboro campus)? Trying to figure out when we should expect potential acceptances for those of us who interviewed in mid October :)

What day of the week did the last round of acceptances come out (Jonesboro campus)? Trying to figure out when we should expect potential acceptances for those of us who interviewed in mid October :)
Last few years it’s been around November 13

If you interviewed today (11/5), when would we hear back on our decisions?

I’m guessing mid december

it was dec. 12th based on last year. I’m waiting to so constantly looking at past threads lol

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else super nervous for next week?

Reactions: 3 users