2020-2021 Northwestern (Feinberg)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it an appropriate time to send a letter of intent?

I was interviewed in October and got deferred in November. Feinberg is my absolute dream school, and I have already sent them 2 long update letters/letters of continued interest (in October and January). Would a letter of intent be too much given how much I have already said to them?
What do you have to lose at this point so might as well try

Members don't see this ad.

Are they still interviewing at this point? Not sure if they silent R. Pre-II
that would depend... to the people who have recently received II, when was the last date available? If it has past this date, then I would most likely say GG

that would depend... to the people who have recently received II, when was the last date available? If it has past this date, then I would most likely say GG
I don’t remember exactly but the last date I recall seeing when scheduling was in mid Feb (maybe around Feb 19-ish)!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What's the post II acceptance rate here for OOS? The 2018 chart says like 70+% but I distinctly remember it saying 50ish%...

Do y'all think this percentage is in line with deferred apps too?

What's the post II acceptance rate here for OOS? The 2018 chart says like 70+% but I distinctly remember it saying 50ish%...

Do y'all think this percentage is in line with deferred apps too?
I’ve always heard closer to 50%

The interview times on the schedule are all in CST, right?

Does every interviewee get an invite to Virtual Chat with the Office of Diversity? For those who went, how was it like? I'm a queer/low-income applicant and I'm trying to figure out what this event is and if it would be helpful to go.

Does every interviewee get an invite to Virtual Chat with the Office of Diversity? For those who went, how was it like? I'm a queer/low-income applicant and I'm trying to figure out what this event is and if it would be helpful to go.
I attended! It was really low key and friendly. It’s a great opportunity to learn more about Northwestern’s diversity initiatives. I don’t think they are evaluating candidates in any way during the sessions. It’s informational and friendly!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m pretty sure they only send you the invite if you’re URM, queer, etc. I did it a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it! They basically assigned me two students who shared my identity and we talked about NW, housing, culture, etc. Don’t feel obligated to go as it’s not judged at all - just a friendly chat.

I attended! It was really low key and friendly. It’s a great opportunity to learn more about Northwestern’s diversity initiatives. I don’t think they are evaluating candidates in any way during the sessions. It’s informational and friendly!

I’m pretty sure they only send you the invite if you’re URM, queer, etc. I did it a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it! They basically assigned me two students who shared my identity and we talked about NW, housing, culture, etc. Don’t feel obligated to go as it’s not judged at all - just a friendly chat.

Agreed that we are not evaluating you during these sessions. They are incredibly relaxed and happen pre-COVID as well. Pre-COVID, ODI pays for dinner at a local restaurant for a group of URM applicants + URM students and we chat about Feinberg, life, current events etc off campus. ODI sends out a list of students who are interested and we volunteer to do the events. So on the student end, we love doing them when we can and we do not evaluate you AT ALL during this time. The only time students are evaluating you is during your M4 interview. You would have to do something pretty EGREGIOUSLY bad in order for a student to go out of their way to report you.

I went to one of the queer student ones and it was so fun. I totally recommend going! The current students were really fun and definitely made me excited about the environment at Feinberg for queer students.

Agreed that we are not evaluating you during these sessions. They are incredibly relaxed and happen pre-COVID as well. Pre-COVID, ODI pays for dinner at a local restaurant for a group of URM applicants + URM students and we chat about Feinberg, life, current events etc off campus. ODI sends out a list of students who are interested and we volunteer to do the events. So on the student end, we love doing them when we can and we do not evaluate you AT ALL during this time. The only time students are evaluating you is during your M4 interview. You would have to do something pretty EGREGIOUSLY bad in order for a student to go out of their way to report you.

I went to one of the queer student ones and it was so fun. I totally recommend going! The current students were really fun and definitely made me excited about the environment at Feinberg for queer students.
Thank you all! I signed up for a session. Looking forward to it! :D

Just came here to say Northwestern >>> UChicago

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Anyone have the inside scoop on if second look will be in person or virtual? I know a few other schools have already moved to virtual...

Anyone have the inside scoop on if second look will be in person or virtual? I know a few other schools have already moved to virtual...
One of my interviewers emailed me this week and said it would be virtual

can confirm
Disappointed, but not surprised. I like Northwestern a lot but I’m not from the Midwest and never been to Chicago so this makes the decision a little tougher

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know when is the last MSTP interview here? Or when the deferred people will hear anything?

Is Fine-Berg still giving out any more of those II's?

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone who recently got an II know when their last interview date is? Just out here waiting to see when they might start giving decisions again

Anyone who recently got an II know when their last interview date is? Just out here waiting to see when they might start giving decisions again
I believe next round of decisions is Feb 26

I interviewed in January and they said the next round of decisions will be in late February.
Is this just for Dec-Feb interviews with everyone else hearing back in March? Cuz my deferral email says March, with no mention of Feb

This is kinda random but the financial aid website says "All financial aid application materials must be submitted by March 1, 2021 (or, if admitted after this date, within five days of admission)." so I'm hoping that they will release all decisions before March

Would you guys say sending a post II LOI at this point is worth it given decisions are late Feb?

Would you guys say sending a post II LOI at this point is worth it given decisions are late Feb?
i think it's worth it, i feel like it would make sense for the committee to meet at least a couple of times between now and end of feb

Does Feinberg accept update letters/letters of interest pre II?

For those who are wondering, I received an email from a member of the admissions committee that I’ve been in contact with that Feinberg is behind in their admissions and the admissions “season” has been extended a few weeks into March. So, if you have no received an interview yet, there is still hope!

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 15 users
For those who are wondering, I received an email from a member of the admissions committee that I’ve been in contact with that Feinberg is behind in their admissions and the admissions “season” has been extended a few weeks into March. So, if you have no received an interview yet, there is still hope!
Are you sure this was for the MD program? I had sent an update letter earlier this week and when I called to confirm where I needed to address the letter they'd intimated that it was coming down to the wire for decisions.

How many students in general get accepted in March after getting deferred?

Has anyone received the email we are supposed to get with the Net ID which we need to verify if our financial aid documents are complete?

Are you sure this was for the MD program? I had sent an update letter earlier this week and when I called to confirm where I needed to address the letter they'd intimated that it was coming down to the wire for decisions.
I am 100% positive. This is for MD. I just don’t think this is as widespread knowledge and they’re being hush about it. I’m assuming the extension is really for those applicants who they were more on the fence about that they didn’t want to outright reject.

Has anyone received the email we are supposed to get with the Net ID which we need to verify if our financial aid documents are complete?
I was wondering this too! I haven't received the Net ID email or any confirmation emails for submitted financial aid documents. Hopefully it'll come soon!

How many students in general get accepted in March after getting deferred?
I believe someone earlier in the thread said the rate is similar to regular post II acceptance rate.