2020-2021 Oakland (Beaumont)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone attended the 9/4 interview? What was your experience?
I attended the 9/4 interview! Kind of a long day, but so awesome. Everyone was very welcoming and I was very impressed with the school, curriculum, and community feeling. The interviews were conversational and nothing to stress much over. A few required questions from each interviewer and after that just a very engaging conversation! Good luck with your interview :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
I attended the 9/4 interview! Kind of a long day, but so awesome. Everyone was very welcoming and I was very impressed with the school, curriculum, and community feeling. The interviews were conversational and nothing to stress much over. A few required questions from each interviewer and after that just a very engaging conversation! Good luck with your interview :)

Thank you so much!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Any estimates on what Oakland's post-interview acceptance rate is? MSAR says that 67 in-staters matriculated from 150 interviews last year, but one would assume that many more than 67 were accepted. I know they also do rolling admissions, so earlier IIs likely have a greater chance as well. Super excited to be interviewing here, but can't help but wonder what my chances are!

Reactions: 1 users
I work full time, and it seems like they have a panel prior to interview day that starts at 4 pm. Should I request an additional day off to attend this panel. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Any estimates on what Oakland's post-interview acceptance rate is? MSAR says that 67 in-staters matriculated from 150 interviews last year, but one would assume that many more than 67 were accepted. I know they also do rolling admissions, so earlier IIs likely have a greater chance as well. Super excited to be interviewing here, but can't help but wonder what my chances are!
At interview day last year, they said everyone has roughly a 50/50 chance of acceptance

Reactions: 4 users
So I got an application complete email back in mid August but today I randomly logged into my portal and saw that my recommendation letters were only marked received a few days ago....did anyone else notice this with their application?

So I got an application complete email back in mid August but today I randomly logged into my portal and saw that my recommendation letters were only marked received a few days ago....did anyone else notice this with their application?
Have you added more schools to your primary application recently?

Have you added more schools to your primary application recently?

O....yup! Does this mean the recommendation letters get resubmitted every time I feel neurotic and apply to more schools? :wideyed:

O....yup! Does this mean the recommendation letters get resubmitted every time I feel neurotic and apply to more schools? :wideyed:
It probably just “refreshes” your app. I doubt it will be noticed by any adcom.

Yap, I noticed It as well. But it didn’t happen like that with other schools (I wonder). But I got complete email lot earlier, so I don’t think it will make a difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
For any current OUWB students/ alumni (hopefully still) lurking: How would you describe OUWB’s focus on population/public health?
Hi, current M4 here! Throughout your first two years you take a longitudinal course on promotion and maintenance of health which is the brunt of our population/public health training! First year focuses a lot on population statistics and how to calculate them. Second year you got more "thematic" type topics (i.e. refugee health). Did you have any more specific questions?

If anyone currently at the school is lurking in here, can you give me the gist of what the school really values? Would you say there’s an emphasis on serving the community and enhancing awareness of diverse populations or is it more research based? Thanks!!!
I would say you get a decent amount of both at OUWB. I would say OU itself leans more towards serving the surrounding community but that with Beaumont being such a large institute you get the benefit of great research opportunities too depending on what you're interested in.

But overall, I would say more emphasis on community -- especially our own medical school community. So beyond serving the local community, there's a huge emphasis on how you as an individual will contribute to the learning environment of your peers, etc. You will hear from a lot of students that the sense of community within the medical school is what draws people to the medical school.

Reactions: 3 users
Does everyone get the OUWB admissions webinar invite I'm assuming?

I would say you get a decent amount of both at OUWB. I would say OU itself leans more towards serving the surrounding community but that with Beaumont being such a large institute you get the benefit of great research opportunities too depending on what you're interested in.

But overall, I would say more emphasis on community -- especially our own medical school community. So beyond serving the local community, there's a huge emphasis on how you as an individual will contribute to the learning environment of your peers, etc. You will hear from a lot of students that the sense of community within the medical school is what draws people to the medical school.
Can you speak a little about PRISM? Do you find it helpful? Do you work with the same group/mentors throughout all four years? The website description makes it sound like PRISM "does it all!" with topics ranging from financial planning to preparing for residency interviews, etc.

I guess I am just looking for a bit more context into how you interact with this program in your daily life as a student.

I also got the email about the webinar info, I'm pretty sure it's sent out to everyone who took the MCAT or has indicated interest in Oakland Beaumont lmao

Even if you didn't it's not a big deal, as long as you aren't rejected, you're still in the game! We've got this y'all <3

Hi, current M4 here! Throughout your first two years you take a longitudinal course on promotion and maintenance of health which is the brunt of our population/public health training! First year focuses a lot on population statistics and how to calculate them. Second year you got more "thematic" type topics (i.e. refugee health). Did you have any more specific questions?
this sounds amazing. I would love to have a medical education that incorporates this. I hope I hear back soon...

Would it be okay to refer to this school as OUWB or should it be OUWB School of Medicine?

Can you speak a little about PRISM? Do you find it helpful? Do you work with the same group/mentors throughout all four years? The website description makes it sound like PRISM "does it all!" with topics ranging from financial planning to preparing for residency interviews, etc.

I guess I am just looking for a bit more context into how you interact with this program in your daily life as a student.
I personally enjoy PRISM. About once a month the first three years you regularly meet with the same students and mentor. You do monthly activities often decided on by your group so game days, potlucks, etc. I would say PRISM is what you make of it. Some students take issue with "mandated wellness" but to each their own. I enjoy having a physician mentor that doesn't evaluate me weigh in on topics such as choosing specialties, debt, personal statements, etc. My mentor is also someone who I can complain to about things I don't necessarily like in the curriculum and they are able to take it to administration to share our thoughts without it coming from us directly. It's nice to get together with a variety of classmates too and catch up and just talk about anything without there being pressure to perform. As a fourth year, it's been nice to see how everyone in my group has grown over the last four years.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I personally enjoy PRISM. About once a month the first three years you regularly meet with the same students and mentor. You do monthly activities often decided on by your group so game days, potlucks, etc. I would say PRISM is what you make of it. Some students take issue with "mandated wellness" but to each their own. I enjoy having a physician mentor that doesn't evaluate me weigh in on topics such as choosing specialties, debt, personal statements, etc. My mentor is also someone who I can complain to about things I don't necessarily like in the curriculum and they are able to take it to administration to share our thoughts without it coming from us directly. It's nice to get together with a variety of classmates too and catch up and just talk about anything without there being pressure to perform. As a fourth year, it's been nice to see how everyone in my group has grown over the last four years.
Thank you for the response! I can see why they promote PRISM on their websites so heavily, it sounds like a great program! Surely it contributes to the unique “Oakland community” that we hear so much about from current students/faculty.

I definitely echo what was said about PRISM. It's what you make out of it and some people do have the issue with "mandatory wellness" but that's usually only if they don't like the activity their group planned for that session or if they don't like talking about life. I absolutely love my PRISM group and my mentor. Some of the activities have been kind of meh, but I can't complain about catching up with everyone, especially since we don't see each other often now as M3s.

Has anyone received any post-interview decision correspondence from OUWB? In our interview on 9/4, Dean Kallenberger mentioned they would be sending the wait-listings out within a few days, but they never mentioned the timeline for R's. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!! :)

How long did it take to hear about interviews? My top choice and i was complete by 8/20

I was complete on 7/31 and received my II on 8/28, so it was about a month for me. If that trend continues, you should be hearing something soon! Best of luck! :)

• Care
Does OUWB send out the interview link beforehand or do you log in through the admissions portal? I have an interview in a few weeks but there was no information provided in the email. Should I look out for another email with a link?

Does OUWB send out the interview link beforehand or do you log in through the admissions portal? I have an interview in a few weeks but there was no information provided in the email. Should I look out for another email with a link?
they send you an email 24 hours before the interview with a link to the WEBX

Don't follow the month rule with regards to hearing back! It all depends on who you were assigned to review your application unfortunately. A lot of clinicians volunteer their time and unfortunately some take A LOT longer than others. I was complete by memorial day when I applied and didn't get an II until i think November.

Reactions: 6 users
The interview confirmation email says the diversity & inclusion panel is informal, so I am guessing there isn't really a dress code? For those who attended prior to your interview was anyone dressed professionally or was it chill?

The interview confirmation email says the diversity & inclusion panel is informal, so I am guessing there isn't really a dress code? For those who attended prior to your interview was anyone dressed professionally or was it chill?
It was really chill, but I still decided to dress up for it.

has anyone that applied late August heard anything from them?

I'm working and I'm not sure if I can request two days off to attend this panel. Would you recommend that I still try to attend this before the interview?
the panel was in the evening and i think it was only 1 hour after work. and no you dont have to dress up- you dont even put your video on, you probably wont even talk .

the panel was in the evening and i think it was only 1 hour after work. and no you dont have to dress up- you dont even put your video on, you probably wont even talk .
It starts at 4 pm, and I end work at 4:30 PM. Do you think it's important to attend? I feel like not being in attendance portrays some sort of attitude that I might not care...

It starts at 4 pm, and I end work at 4:30 PM. Do you think it's important to attend? I feel like not being in attendance portrays some sort of attitude that I might not care...
To be honest, I do not recall if any of the students who led the panel discussion were even present on the actual interview day, so I am not sure if your absence would count against you. I can definitely understand your concern about how you not being present would come across, though, so would there be a way for you to simply request to leave work just an hour or two early that day instead of taking the full day off?

no you dont have to attend and in fact at the beginning of the panel they said (either staff or students) that our attendance and today's panels and question asking had NOTHING to do with impacting our interview day or interview results. so there's that. i believe them bc it was very chill and low key and the point of the diversity panel is to make everyone feel comfortable about the school and esp in the times we live in now. #BLM.

I continue to be impressed with the response times of the admissions office!

For anyone who doesn't want to skim through past threads(ie. me) , the admissions committee will continue to meet on the 1st, 3rd, and 5th Wednesdays of the month, and the majority of the time, applicants are reviewed at the next scheduled Admissions Committee meeting after their respective interview date. Decisions will then be communicated at the end of that respective week (i.e. sometime between Wednesday and Friday following the 1st/3rd/5th Wednesday of the month).

Reactions: 3 users