2020-2021 Oakland (Beaumont)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I continue to be impressed with the response times of the admissions office!

For anyone who doesn't want to skim through past threads(ie. me) , the admissions committee will continue to meet on the 1st, 3rd, and 5th Wednesdays of the month, and the majority of the time, applicants are reviewed at the next scheduled Admissions Committee meeting after their respective interview date. Decisions will then be communicated at the end of that respective week (i.e. sometime between Wednesday and Friday following the 1st/3rd/5th Wednesday of the month).
Just wondering, does that mean all Sept interviewees will be notified in Oct? I know they mentioned they start releasing decisions on Oct 15th
 
I continue to be impressed with the response times of the admissions office!

For anyone who doesn't want to skim through past threads(ie. me) , the admissions committee will continue to meet on the 1st, 3rd, and 5th Wednesdays of the month, and the majority of the time, applicants are reviewed at the next scheduled Admissions Committee meeting after their respective interview date. Decisions will then be communicated at the end of that respective week (i.e. sometime between Wednesday and Friday following the 1st/3rd/5th Wednesday of the month).
Thank you for this info! We know that acceptances won't be released until mid-October, but does this mean that waitlistings and post-interview rejections will be released prior to that time? I only ask because I interviewed on 9/4 and so, according to this timeline, I should have heard something between Wednesday and Friday of last week, but never did.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wondering, does that mean all Sept interviewees will be notified in Oct? I know they mentioned they start releasing decisions on Oct 15th
Given that October 1st is a Thursday, the first Wednesday of October is the 7th and the third October is the 21st. Though I hope to hear back on the 15th, I highly expect for them to not have their first meeting until the 21st and communicate decisions on the 22nd/23rd ( which means they haven't decided the A/Waitlist, R, but don't quote me on this)

The way they made it sound was that they try to get through as many applicants from the interview dates prior to that session as possible in that 1 Wednesday session, but it may get pushed to the next session because of other reasons (a reviewer is absent/runs out of time, but then that person is usually reviewed at the following meeting). In short, it depends on if your reviewers are there for the meeting and on time.

So they'll probably try to push through as many of the earlier interviewers as possible to notify in the first round and extras/unable to be reviewed will be pushed to the meeting on November 4th.

For reference and because I'm neurotic, I looked at the past thread and found:
II on 8/29, 9/6, and 9/13- more or less given decisions on 10/17 (Thursday after the 10/15 deadline)
II on 10/4- were given decisions on 10/31
II on 10/11- decisions on 11/4 and 11/21
II on 10/25- decision on 11/25 (and one person from 10/4 but presume they were a special case)

for our own reference to this year, I think it's safe to presume that 9/6, 9/11 (was there an II on 9/11?), and 9/18 will be in the first round (but of course this is all speculation and who really knows)
 
Given that October 1st is a Thursday, the first Wednesday of October is the 7th and the third October is the 21st. Though I hope to hear back on the 15th, I highly expect for them to not have their first meeting until the 21st and communicate decisions on the 22nd/23rd ( which means they haven't decided the A/Waitlist, R, but don't quote me on this)

The way they made it sound was that they try to get through as many applicants from the interview dates prior to that session as possible in that 1 Wednesday session, but it may get pushed to the next session because of other reasons (a reviewer is absent/runs out of time, but then that person is usually reviewed at the following meeting). In short, it depends on if your reviewers are there for the meeting and on time.

So they'll probably try to push through as many of the earlier interviewers as possible to notify in the first round and extras/unable to be reviewed will be pushed to the meeting on November 4th.

For reference and because I'm neurotic, I looked at the past thread and found:
II on 8/29, 9/6, and 9/13- more or less given decisions on 10/17 (Thursday after the 10/15 deadline)
II on 10/4- were given decisions on 10/31
II on 10/11- decisions on 11/4 and 11/21
II on 10/25- decision on 11/25 (and one person from 10/4 but presume they were a special case)

for our own reference to this year, I think it's safe to presume that 9/6, 9/11 (was there an II on 9/11?), and 9/18 will be in the first round (but of course this is all speculation and who really knows)
I interviewed on the 18th, but I know that there was an interview day on the 11th.
 
Given that October 1st is a Thursday, the first Wednesday of October is the 7th and the third October is the 21st. Though I hope to hear back on the 15th, I highly expect for them to not have their first meeting until the 21st and communicate decisions on the 22nd/23rd ( which means they haven't decided the A/Waitlist, R, but don't quote me on this)

The way they made it sound was that they try to get through as many applicants from the interview dates prior to that session as possible in that 1 Wednesday session, but it may get pushed to the next session because of other reasons (a reviewer is absent/runs out of time, but then that person is usually reviewed at the following meeting). In short, it depends on if your reviewers are there for the meeting and on time.

So they'll probably try to push through as many of the earlier interviewers as possible to notify in the first round and extras/unable to be reviewed will be pushed to the meeting on November 4th.

For reference and because I'm neurotic, I looked at the past thread and found:
II on 8/29, 9/6, and 9/13- more or less given decisions on 10/17 (Thursday after the 10/15 deadline)
II on 10/4- were given decisions on 10/31
II on 10/11- decisions on 11/4 and 11/21
II on 10/25- decision on 11/25 (and one person from 10/4 but presume they were a special case)

for our own reference to this year, I think it's safe to presume that 9/6, 9/11 (was there an II on 9/11?), and 9/18 will be in the first round (but of course this is all speculation and who really knows)
Haha this is great, thanks! Best of luck to you 🙂
 
Do most students here drive a car to commute?
This was asked in my interview day and pretty unanimously yes, you need a car to commute. The three rotation hospitals are between 20-45 minutes from Oakland's campus. Additionally, most students tend to move closer to the main hospital, Beaumont - Royal Oak, in their 3rd/4th years.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
for those who interviewed early september and told that they were going to get a phone call october 15th- was it october 15th exactly or the week of?
 
Yes/no. They phone call for acceptances, email if they can’t reach you by phone for acceptance and email for waitlist/rejection
is there a certain date they do this? like if they told us october 15 will it be on that day or the week of?
 
is there a certain date they do this? like if they told us october 15 will it be on that day or the week of?

For anyone who doesn't want to skim through past threads(ie. me) , the admissions committee will continue to meet on the 1st, 3rd, and 5th Wednesdays of the month, and the majority of the time, applicants are reviewed at the next scheduled Admissions Committee meeting after their respective interview date. Decisions will then be communicated at the end of that respective week (i.e. sometime between Wednesday and Friday following the 1st/3rd/5th Wednesday of the month).
^^^
 
Yes/no. They phone call for acceptances, email if they can’t reach you by phone for acceptance and email for waitlist/rejection
damn. that is kind of intense, finding out you got accepted over the phone. i wonder if they talk at all about your decision, like if you are going to accept the admission offer or not, during the phone call
 
damn. that is kind of intense, finding out you got accepted over the phone. i wonder if they talk at all about your decision, like if you are going to accept the admission offer or not, during the phone call
probably not. from interview day, seems like they understand that students dont accept these offers on the spot.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
do we know what dates are getting booked for interview spots right now? still in 2020 i hope?
 
Hello everyone! So I submitted my secondary application 8/3, but rewrote MCAT on 9/5 and just received my score 9/23. Would you consider my application to be submitted 8/3, or 9/23 in this case? Does anyone else have a similar experience? Just trying to figure out if no II at this point means I have been dismissed :')
 
Hello everyone! So I submitted my secondary application 8/3, but rewrote MCAT on 9/5 and just received my score 9/23. Would you consider my application to be submitted 8/3, or 9/23 in this case? Does anyone else have a similar experience? Just trying to figure out if no II at this point means I have been dismissed :')
I'd say 8/3 is complete date. But never consider it dismissed. If a school wants to reject you, they will immediately. They don't procrastinate in doing so. If you're waiting months, it usually means they're still considering you
 
IS applicant here, seems like they are primarily interviewing OOS right now to me? There don't seem to be many IS getting interviews.
 
OOS and silence since 8/20

This is my undergrad school and they seem relatively quiet still, so they should hopefully start sending more II soon in general for IS and OOS. They take a good amount of OOS from Cali not sure what state you are OOS from
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When we get the complete email that means we are done correct?

I see they date for my letters is 10/4 but I submitted in August so I’m confused. I also haven’t added any schools so it’s not that explanation

Complete should be fully done.

Regarding the letters' date, sometimes the date that shows up is when the school's secondary portal downloads or receives it from your primary application. This happened to me to even though I submitted my letters in July.