2020-2021 Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Wisconsin

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Received, Yes same prompt as last year plus COVID prompt (200-300 words)

Both optional:

1. In a paragraph (200-300 words), please share how COVID-19 impacted your application in the following domains:
  • Academic
  • Volunteer
  • Research
  • Work
  • Personal Life
Topics to address might include the public health lessons and health care insights learned from the pandemic, creative ways in which you were able to serve your community during the crisis, or any hardships (economic, health, or other) you faced due to the virus or its mitigation efforts (e.g. social distancing, quarantine).

2. The Admissions Committee takes many factors into consideration when reviewing your application. A successful applicant is frequently one who communicates what makes them exceptional and why they will become an outstanding physician. You are invited but not required to provide additional information in this essay. Some applicants tell us about hardships and challenges that they have faced in their lives and how these experiences have helped them become caring and compassionate individuals. Other applicants use this space to emphasize a particular passion they have related to their future career in medicine. If you are not a resident of Wisconsin, you may want to tell us why you are interested in the University of Wisconsin or about a special connection that you may have to our state or people who live here. Our goal is to gain insight into you as a unique applicant. You may include anything in this essay that you feel is relevant. (Limit response to 500 words.)

Reapplicants:

Individuals who are reapplying are required to submit a statement indicating what has changed since the previous application to the UW School of Medicine and Public Health MD or MD/PhD program (e.g., additional academic work, new letters of recommendation, work and volunteer experience, life changes, etc.). Please limit your response to 500 words.

Reactions: 1 users
For the "Residency application" page on the app, it keeps saying it's not complete? I'm OOS, so I'm not a resident of WI, what do I do for that page?

Does University of Wisconsin pre screen secondaries or do they send them to everyone who applies?

Reactions: 1 user
Does University of Wisconsin pre screen secondaries or do they send them to everyone who applies?
According to MSAR data, they send secondaries to "Selected applicants who meet our minimum requirements of a 3.00 gpa and an MCAT score of 500." Which is big sad because I have not taken the MCAT yet, rip.

Does it say MCAT not received for anyone else? I took the MCAT last year lol. Submitted earlier today and everything else is in except that. Only school that's been showing this error for me.

Does it say MCAT not received for anyone else? I took the MCAT last year lol. Submitted earlier today and everything else is in except that. Only school that's been showing this error for me.
Same for me! I've not had this problem with any other school. I'm planning on checking throughout the day tomorrow and then emailing if it still says missing

For the "Residency application" page on the app, it keeps saying it's not complete? I'm OOS, so I'm not a resident of WI, what do I do for that page?
I am having the same issue. I am unable to submit the application because of this. Do you think it would be worth emailing them?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you open the residency questionnaire the first question asks if you are a resident. If you say no you can just submit the questionnaire and the application will let you complete it.

If you open the residency questionnaire the first question asks if you are a resident. If you say no you can just submit the questionnaire and the application will let you complete it.
It's still not letting me submit.

It's still not letting me submit.
I just spoke with the admissions office. They said they are aware of the issue and that it should be resolved by the end of the week at the latest!

I just spoke with the admissions office. They said they are aware of the issue and that it should be resolved by the end of the week at the latest!
Would you mind sharing how you contacted admissions? I've looked for a phone number and email and couldn't find one. My application shows it was submitted, but I was submitting it when the page was having problems. Just want to make sure that it went through.

Would you mind sharing how you contacted admissions? I've looked for a phone number and email and couldn't find one. My application shows it was submitted, but I was submitting it when the page was having problems. Just want to make sure that it went through.
Absolutely! The phone number for UW School of Medicine and Public Health MD Admissions is: 608-263-4925. Email: [email protected].
Hope that helps!

Absolutely! The phone number for UW School of Medicine and Public Health MD Admissions is: 608-263-4925. Email: [email protected].
Hope that helps!
Sorry I misspoke on the wrong thread! I was not able to submit the application for this school for anyone wondering. Also I had the phone number, but the email is apparently an invalid email. I sent an email to them, but I got an error reply that said "address not found"

Any one able to complete the residency application part now?

Could any current students be available to answer these questions?

1. What is your typical weekly schedule like? In a given week, how many times are you required to attend events like PBL / lab? I'm assuming that lecture attendance is not mandatory, and that they are recorded and posted (?) Woulda appreciate any and all thoughts on the curriculum.

2. What do you think about Madison? I heard there's bad traffic lol. Truly how bad is the winter?

3. Any thoughts on the facilities for the school (preclinical) or affiliated hospitals?

1. What is your typical weekly schedule like? In a given week, how many times are you required to attend events like PBL / lab? I'm assuming that lecture attendance is not mandatory, and that they are recorded and posted (?) Woulda appreciate any and all thoughts on the curriculum.

2. What do you think about Madison? I heard there's bad traffic lol. Truly how bad is the winter?

3. Any thoughts on the facilities for the school (preclinical) or affiliated hospitals?
Not a current student, but I did a college visit at Wisconsin during high school, right after they had a huge snow storm. It was bitterly cold and the streets were hella slushy/icy, so be prepared to invest in some good outer gear and snow boots. The traffic wasn't too bad imo, since as a student you likely won't be driving many places anyway if you are on campus most of the time.

Not a current student, but I've lived in Madison forever. It's a beautiful city (I'm a little biased) that sits between two lakes, and it's lovely in summer despite the mosquitos. Because of its positioning, pre-COVID, there were a lot of great concerts. Good restaurants, although the ethnic food can get pretty Americanized. If you're living on campus, you won't want to drive. Parking is a nightmare, and it's not worth it. The winters are bad - two years ago it was -60 F, and it's usually heavy snow and pretty cold. I don't mind it, but if you end up here, definitely pay $$$ for good winter boots and a coat.

The hospital is really nice, and it's a really pretty institute of medical research. It's an outstanding place for biochemistry research. Some of the buildings look awful though. They're renovating the athletic facilities, if that is important to you.

Reactions: 1 users

Went here for undergrad, so I can answer #2 and kind of #3.

I'm from LA and I loved it and so did my other friends from California. The winters are usually only bad in December and January, but its a lil different every year. People like to vastly overstate how cold it gets here, idk why. It's like they want to brag haha. My senior year was the year the midwest had that crazy winter storm and they had to cancel classes because it got so cold, but that was my only bad cold experience. But honestly just buy a nice parka and boots and you won't even feel the cold.

Coming from LA, I wouldn't say there is ever traffic in Madison except when there is construction. Just like anywhere, it slows down a lil during peak hours like lunch and 5-7 pm, but it's never stop-and-go or anything like that. Parking is only a nightmare in the city itself, but you'll probably have parking at the school and anywhere you live if it's on the outer parts of the city. If you want to live more in the city, I don't recommend having a car unless you got mulah cause parking is expensive as hell. Also, public transportation in Madison is pretty great.

Also, the campus is very nice and there are tons of things to do and places to eat. Also lots of great study spots. lots of cool cafes and libs. I even snuck into the medical school lib occasionally when I was studying for my MCAT, it was beautiful haha.

I volunteered in one of the hospitals and knew some of the med students, the hospitals here were great. Besides all being pretty nice aesthetically and tech-wise, my experience was that the healthcare workers (nurses/EMTs/CNAs) in Madison, in general, were all super nice and cared about their jobs. This is in contrast to my experiences working in LA, where it really seems like very few people at the lower rungs of healthcare want to do their jobs or show any compassion to patients.

Went here for undergrad, so I can answer #2 and kind of #3.

I'm from LA and I loved it and so did my other friends from California. The winters are usually only bad in December and January, but its a lil different every year. People like to vastly overstate how cold it gets here, idk why. It's like they want to brag haha. My senior year was the year the midwest had that crazy winter storm and they had to cancel classes because it got so cold, but that was my only bad cold experience. But honestly just buy a nice parka and boots and you won't even feel the cold.

Coming from LA, I wouldn't say there is ever traffic in Madison except when there is construction. Just like anywhere, it slows down a lil during peak hours like lunch and 5-7 pm, but it's never stop-and-go or anything like that. Parking is only a nightmare in the city itself, but you'll probably have parking at the school and anywhere you live if it's on the outer parts of the city. If you want to live more in the city, I don't recommend having a car unless you got mulah cause parking is expensive as hell. Also, public transportation in Madison is pretty great.

Also, the campus is very nice and there are tons of things to do and places to eat. Also lots of great study spots. lots of cool cafes and libs. I even snuck into the medical school lib occasionally when I was studying for my MCAT, it was beautiful haha.

I volunteered in one of the hospitals and knew some of the med students, the hospitals here were great. Besides all being pretty nice aesthetically and tech-wise, my experience was that the healthcare workers (nurses/EMTs/CNAs) in Madison, in general, were all super nice and cared about their jobs. This is in contrast to my experiences working in LA, where it really seems like very few people at the lower rungs of healthcare want to do their jobs or show any compassion to patients.
#3 is really interesting and encouraging to hear! The hospital I volunteered at near my undergrad had a horrible environment, people who worked there seemed to hate their lives and wish they could be anywhere else. The one positive influence I met there was actually a nurse technician who went above and beyond for her job; all the other nurses and doctors had terrible attitudes and would complain about patients around the front desk area.

Are you still having issues? I still haven't been able to complete the residency application section/submit my secondary.
Yup, still cannot complete the residency application.

Emailed them Friday, just got this back:

"Thanks for contacting us! We are aware of this issue, and fortunately, you are not the only applicant running into this problem! We are working with our IT team and Registrar's office to get this fixed ASAP. We will follow up with you as soon as the issue is resolved."

Does this secondary allow for an optional text box for IAs or allow for updates after submission? To make a long story short, I have pre-written all my secondaries but still waiting for my primary to be reviewed (hopefully in a few more days!), but when I submitted my primary I indicated I had no IAs because what I thought were not violations actually were. After talking to a few admissions departments I have learned my best bet is to 1)email the admissions office and dean of admissions, 2) explain in the optional text box why I did not report it on my primary, and 3)update my application with the details if allowed.

Therefore, does this secondary have an optional text box or allow for resubmission where I would have the opportunity to explain this situation?

haha sorry this is not even relevant to this thread, I'm just so curious, how do you already have WLs if you're not a reapp?? (from your signature)
Oh I didn’t realize my signature was still there! I’m a reapplicant but first time applicant to Wisconsin

Hi, M2 here! Hope I can help you get some of your questions answered.

1. As a disclaimer I am not sure how applicable our experience M1 year will be to you given the current situation surrounding COVID-19. Our typical week was as follows:
Mondays we have one mandatory class called PaCE where we work as a team to go through a clinical vignette, and establish learning objectives which we will come back together and answer later in the week (1 hour).
Tuesdays/Wednesdays are typically 8-12 with varying lectures/medium group activities. Typically, unless otherwise listed these are not mandatory though you are incentivized to go because often they start off these sessions with a "quiz". This quiz cannot penalize you, but you can accumulate up to 5% credit to offset the weight of the final exam.
Thursdays we have PaCE again this time for two hours where we discuss the learning objectives we had decided upon on Monday.
Fridays we have class 1-5 again almost always optional attendance.

Aside from this, some weeks we have anatomy lab (typically 3 hours) and/or clinical skills (typically 2 hours) or Preceptor (4 hours). Preceptor is once a month, and the # of anatomy labs/clinical skills varies depending on the block you are in.

2. I am a big fan of the city of Madison, but I really think your perspective on this city will depend on where you are relocating from. I don't think the traffic is too bad in comparison with other places I have been, in fact its really only during rush hour when things will get backed up. The medical school is a mile or two west of the heart of downtown so it is easier to find parking/drive around on this side of town. Parking downtown is inconvenient but not impossible in my opinion, and the lots by the school are free after 4:30 so I usually drive to the school to study in the evenings. Winters are brutal, but depending on how you commute to class I wouldn't anticipate spending all that much time outdoors. I concur with what others are saying in investing in a coat, scarves, gloves etc. if you don't already have them.

3. I have no point of reference to compare UW Hospitals/Clinics since I also went to undergrad here so this hospital system is where the bulk of my pre-med experiences occurred. I will say I have yet to have a negative experience with any of the hospitals/staff. The space where we have our classes, the Health Sciences Learning Center, is where I spend the majority of my time. Some spaces are shared with other health professions students, but there are several of designated study spaces for only medical students. The building is fairly new (2010~ I think?), the simulation lab was updated in the last 2/3 years as were the student lounges, and the small/medium group rooms.

Feel free to reach out or let me know if you have any other questions.

-FB

Reactions: 3 users
Oh I didn’t realize my signature was still there! I’m a reapplicant but first time applicant to Wisconsin
I am also a reapplicant but first-time applicant to Wisconsin. I haven't submitted yet, but did your secondary include the required reapplicant essay even though it's your first Wisconsin application?

For OOS applicants, do we need to fill out the residency application as the last step before submitting the secondary. It obviously won't let us skip it, so I was wondering if the issue is that it needed to be filled out.

I am also a reapplicant but first-time applicant to Wisconsin. I haven't submitted yet, but did your secondary include the required reapplicant essay even though it's your first Wisconsin application?

The prompt is "Individuals who are reapplying are required to submit a statement indicating what has changed since the previous application to the UW School of Medicine and Public Health MD or MD/PhD program (e.g., additional academic work, new letters of recommendation, work and volunteer experience, life changes, etc.). Please limit your response to 500 words."

So if you didn't apply to Wisconsin previously it doesn't seem to apply to you

For OOS applicants, do we need to fill out the residency application as the last step before submitting the secondary. It obviously won't let us skip it, so I was wondering if the issue is that it needed to be filled out.
Yup it needs to be filled out