2020-2021 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats!! Still waiting for my first IS II :’) how many dates were available?
Thank you, and I am sure you will get one soon! I am actually OOS. Also, I think there were about 5 dates in March available. So there is still time! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone have an idea of the typical time frame to hear back after an interview?

I interviewed early November and I am just waiting to hear back at this point. I was thinking of sending a update letter with stuff that I talked about during my interview day, but was not mentioned in my primary or secondary. Is this necessary? Or have they probably already made a decision on my application? Thanks!
i'm in the same bout with early NOV. i was wondering if i should send in a letter of intent or even CURRENT LOR's from the job i've been working at. just wanted to add on to visits4 question, what do you guys think about update letters and LOR's!?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an II in the beginning of December and my interview is finally coming up first week of February, just wondering if anyone knows if those who are interviewing in the beginning of Feb will still be in that wave of acceptances?
I interviewed last year in early February and did not hear back until May. I know others who interviewed in February and January were not included in the first wave. So, the chances of being in the first wave of acceptances is low, but never impossible. You never know with Downstate. The wait is hard but hang in there and best of luck!

Also, I'm an M1 at Downstate and if anyone has any questions, I'm more than happy to answer them if I can. Just DM me. Best of luck everyone! Wish you all the best.

Reactions: 3 users
Super sorry if a million people asked this already, but whats up with this writing assignment? Do we get it on the day of the interview and must complete it by 4pm the same day or do we get it in the days before our interview? (my interview date is 1/26)

Super sorry if a million people asked this already, but whats up with this writing assignment? Do we get it on the day of the interview and must complete it by 4pm the same day or do we get it in the days before our interview? (my interview date is 1/26)

I got mine on the morning of my interview date and they had us complete it by 4pm. Mine was very simple and stress free, took me like 5 minutes to actually complete it and just 20-30 mins to read over my answer a million times and make small corrections because I’m slightly neurotic. Don’t worry about it at all.

Reactions: 1 users
U get it the morning of and have till 4pm to submit on the portal.

I got mine on the morning of my interview date and they had us complete it by 4pm. Mine was very simple and stress free, took me like 5 minutes to actually complete it and just 20-30 mins to read over my answer a million times and make small corrections because I’m slightly neurotic. Don’t worry about it at all.

U get it the morning of and have till 4pm to submit on the portal.

thanks!

I interviewed today at SUNY Downstate. I was complete mid September, received II on 11/25 and interviewed today 1/19/21. Definitely feel it went well and really enjoyed my interviewer. If you guys have any other questions feel free to PM me.

So what are we thinking, another month for decision to start rolling in?! Interviewed in September, feels like 2 years ago lol

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Just withdrew my application and interview spot after receiving an acceptance at my top choice. Good luck to whoever gets it, and to all you future doctors!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an interview invite! only dates available were in March. Completed in November. Just hoping the late interview isn't a detriment to me

Just got an interview invite! only dates available were in March. Completed in November. Just hoping the late interview isn't a detriment to me
Congratulations! I don't think it should be a detriment, I interviewed a week ago and was told about 8/10 weeks to hear back and there are plenty of people here that interviewed MUCH earlier than I did who are still waiting.

Congratulations! I don't think it should be a detriment, I interviewed a week ago and was told about 8/10 weeks to hear back and there are plenty of people here that interviewed MUCH earlier than I did who are still waiting.
Thanks! On the one hand that’s good but on the other hand it’s a struggle to wait so long.

Does anyone know if people who interviewed at the very beginning of January are also supposed to hear back on 2/15? If not, what's the timeline for them?

is there on campus housing? do most students live on campus or off campus?

Does anyone know if people who interviewed at the very beginning of January are also supposed to hear back on 2/15? If not, what's the timeline for them?
I believe so, my understanding was that they interview all their students then send out decisions. If not, then it'll be rolling but you'll probably hear soon!

does anyone think we could get decisions in the beginning of Feb 😫 I’ve waited 3 months I’m anxious

Do we know who our interviewer will be before the start of our interivew? Or is it a surprise day of

Do we know who our interviewer will be before the start of our interivew? Or is it a surprise day of
i knew the name of mine. They sent an email with instructions for the day of interview and the name was in the email

what do you guys think about sending new LOR's from current things we are doing in our gap year? this is pre-II

what do you guys think about sending new LOR's from current things we are doing in our gap year? this is pre-II
I don't think they would accept. They only accepted 2 LOR, don't think they'd want more. Updates are good tho

I don't think they would accept. They only accepted 2 LOR, don't think they'd want more. Updates are good tho
thank you for the response but sorry i meant POST-II !!!!What do you guys think?

OMFG!!!! GOT AN II TODAY!!! this is my first II of the cycle, super non-trad with an MCAT that was literally 10 points below my practice tests, wanted to crawl into a hole, but there's still a chance!! Wasn't able to schedule until APRIL though, echoing some of the earlier sentiments about this not hurting my chances. I genuinely would love to go here, love their mission and what I've heard from current students who go there/friends who have matched into great programs coming from Downstate. GAH

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
How strict is the two week VITA deadline? Been sick with Covid lol

How strict is the two week VITA deadline? Been sick with Covid lol
I had read it was highly suggested to do it within the two weeks so i did mine with Covid and the covid confusion was evident

I had read it was highly suggested to do it within the two weeks so i did mine with Covid and the covid confusion was evident
Thank you! I’ll try to power through lol also does the vita time stamp when you submit? if I’m on the west coast and have the vita to submit for an east coast school, do I have until my midnight or midnight of the east coast school?

Hey all, I was wondering if you guys think the VITA interview is super important. My regular interview went well, but I’m not sure if I’m happy with how the VITA went... hope it doesn’t make or break it for me.

Hey all, I was wondering if you guys think the VITA interview is super important. My regular interview went well, but I’m not sure if I’m happy with how the VITA went... hope it doesn’t make or break it for me.
On a scale of 1-10, I think it’s 2. The regular interview is the most important as it has always been. Schools are still tryna figure out how vital VITA is and might not even be that important for committee review.

Does early February for decisions mean it could be 1/2/2021? hehehehe I've waited for four months...

• Care
Does early February for decisions mean it could be 1/2/2021? hehehehe I've waited for four months...
Last year decisions were released on Feb 19th (the third Wednesday of the month)

I totally feel that way! Waiting since October 🙃. I hope it will be earlier than last year cuz feb 19 is not “early February” lol

• Care
  • Haha
I totally feel that way! Waiting since October 🙃. I hope it will be earlier than last year cuz feb 19 is not “early February” lol
Looks like Med schools have different meanings for some words or terms.
for ex:
early = whenever
Late = whenever
4-5 wks = 4-5 months.
Holistic = MCAT + GPA only

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Also can anyone explain how getting results works? Are they releasing decisions in order of when you interviewed?? Or like everyone who interviewed before feb?? Sorry I’m so confused 😭

Also can anyone explain how getting results works? Are they releasing decisions in order of when you interviewed?? Or like everyone who interviewed before feb?? Sorry I’m so confused 😭
I believe all decisions so far are sent around feb15 but don’t hold me to it

i hope early February means in two days days:) the anxiety that has infiltrated my body in the past week is crazy.

Anyone get the email about asking to confirm interest in an interview? are we supposed to only respond if we want to withdraw?

Anyone get the email about asking to confirm interest in an interview? are we supposed to only respond if we want to withdraw?
I think it’s to make sure if you want to participate in the interview! It’s a good thing to receive, wish they sent me one hha

I did too, I think we're supposed to respond back confirming that we are interested in an interview if we are.

Hmm, I wonder if a lot of people are canceling interviews. I hope other schools are having the same issue... (specifically the ones I haven’t heard from).

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I did too, I think we're supposed to respond back confirming that we are interested in an interview if we are.
Actually never mind, it's worded super weird but I don't think we respond back unless we want to withdraw

Actually never mind, it's worded super weird but I don't think we respond back unless we want to withdraw
The subject line makes it seem like we should reply if we're interested, but then the actual message tells us to only let them know if we want to withdraw... so of course I'm overthinking every possible move I could make right now lollll