2020-2021 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed here over a week ago and still have not heard anything from the current students to schedule a peer interview, did this happen to anyone else? Did anyone reach out to admissions to let them know of the delay? Not trying to have my application withdrawn
Email the admissions team

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Im a little confused? I’m reading all the emails, and I don’t see anywhere that there’s a peer interview? i just got the link for the staff interview

Hi there. I interviewed in September and have been waiting f o r e v e r to hear back. These past nine days have been especially anxiety filled. This might be a silly question, but will they send out emails with the decisions? Or just by letter? I would assume both, but who knows.

Good luck everyone who's waiting like me! On Downstate or otherwise.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there. I interviewed in September and have been waiting f o r e v e r to hear back. These past nine days have been especially anxiety filled. This might be a silly question, but will they send out emails with the decisions? Or just by letter? I would assume both, but who knows.

SAMEEE. I'm pretty sure email is sent out.

Reactions: 1 users

It's via email. They'll email you telling you to check the portal. I think decisions will come out either next Monday or Tuesday. Probably Tuesday since Monday is a federal holiday. Fingers crossed for everyone here!

• Wow
I'm dying with this waiting. I just want to know. Worst part is I interviewed mid January and the chances of me actually getting a response in the first wave is probably .00001%. Meanwhile I have friends accepted to plenty of other schools that let them know within two weeks of their interview. ANYWAYSSSSS....Stay positive guys :)

Reactions: 3 users
I'm dying with this waiting. I just want to know. Worst part is I interviewed mid January and the chances of me actually getting a response in the first wave is probably .00001%. Meanwhile I have friends accepted to plenty of other schools that let them know within two weeks of their interview. ANYWAYSSSSS....Stay positive guys :)
I interviewed yesterday so I have an even smaller chance but all we can do is hope! 🤞🏻

IS pre-II R just now :’). Had high hopes for downstate but I guess nawwwwt

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
It’s getting closer 🥺🥺 judgement day

• Wow
Members don't see this ad :)
When decisions come out, do they also send post-II Rs the same day?

When decisions come out, do they also send post-II Rs the same day?
Likely sometime next week! Hopefully they send out decisions for everyone who has interviewed so far :)

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Likely sometime next week! Hopefully they send out decisions for everyone who has interviewed so far :)
Are we sure it's going to be next week? It's supposed to be February 15th but I feel like many things are slightly delayed this cycle. And last year's first acceptances were on February 18th.

Edit: February 18th

Last edited:
Are we sure it's going to be next week? It's supposed to be February 15th but I feel like many things are slightly delayed this cycle. And last year's first acceptances were on February 19th.
I think they try to get out some decisions by the 19 because that is when the Choose Your Medical School Tool opens

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone! Question: just finished interviewing and Downstate student reached out that day. Is the peer-to-peer just casual for asking questions... or is it also like an interview/ will they report back / will it affect my consideration?

Hi everyone! Question: just finished interviewing and Downstate student reached out that day. Is the peer-to-peer just casual for asking questions... or is it also like an interview/ will they report back / will it affect my consideration?
Consider it an interview; the committee has said they weigh the student convo almost as much as the faculty interview.
The student asks you a couple of standard interview questions.

Are we sure it's going to be next week? It's supposed to be February 15th but I feel like many things are slightly delayed this cycle. And last year's first acceptances were on February 18th.

Edit: February 18th
Last year Feb 15 was on a weekend.

I recently got an interview this week and is it just VITA? Or is there another portion of the interview where I talk to someone

I recently got an interview this week and is it just VITA? Or is there another portion of the interview where I talk to someone
There is also an interview with a professor or MD, and then you will schedule an interview with a student after that. Congrats on the II

I guess, my Valentine did not show up this year..... #stillwaiting.....

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 9 users
Interviewed here on October 7th and this is my top choice school. Waited for this week to come for the last 4 months! Really hope they stick with their Feb. 15th timeline by at least giving us the first wave of decisions by this Friday. The wait has been brutal

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
Interviewed here on October 7th and this is my top choice school. Waited for this week to come for the last 4 months! Really hope they stick with their Feb. 15th timeline by at least giving us the first wave of decisions by this Friday. The wait has been brutal
heyyyy i interviewed here 10/8 and same. made myself forget about it until i checked this thread just now and realized decisions are coming out this week. cue anxiety

• Care
Interviewed 1/7. Nervous as hell as this is the only school out of 4 others that I got an II. PLZ GAWD

And good luck to all the other people that are waiting for decisions I hope we all get accepted

last year decisions came out 10:30...assuming time stays the same I'm gonna guess today isn't the day? ):

Went thru this process last year team. There is no rhyme or reason to when decisions come out.

• Sad
  • Okay...
i saw "SUNY DECISION" in my email and my heart started racing.... realized it was actually Upstate and a rejection.... lets hope this doesn't happy with my #1 here lol

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 12 users
i saw "SUNY DECISION" in my email and my heart started racing.... realized it was actually Upstate and a rejection.... lets hope this doesn't happy with my #1 here lol
are you me? Hoping for good news for both of us :)

• Care
are you me? Hoping for good news for both of us :)
we are in the same boat let's hope for some great news. ive been filled with EXTRA anxiety since the first day of February

LOL that's exactly what happened to me earlier today.

• Haha
Just a heads up pretty sure downstate is closed today because of presidents day. Sorry to be a buzzkill haha but dont think decisions will happen today

Ik a MS who did some peer-to-peer interviews last cycle, said that it's more to make sure you aren't a robot etc. Adcoms listen to what the MS says, but most MS will mark you well as long as it wasn't disastrous.

I screwed up.

I got an II 1/21 and only today realized that I hadn't completed the VITA; I just finished it and submitted it (They specified a 2 week deadline for VITA, it's been 4 weeks).

Is this likely to affect my chances at Downstate? Is it worth sending an email to the admissions office apologizing?

• Care
I screwed up.

I got an II 1/21 and only today realized that I hadn't completed the VITA; I just finished it and submitted it (They specified a 2 week deadline for VITA, it's been 4 weeks).

Is this likely to affect my chances at Downstate? Is it worth sending an email to the admissions office apologizing
Hey there, I went through something similar. I wouldn't worry about it.

I had a technical issue with my VITA and had to retake, and the process for retaking was painstakingly long. I ended up being like 4 weeks late for this school, but the issue was never brought up.

That said, I can't be 100% sure because I am still waiting for a decision from this school. I just don't think bringing it up to attention won't really serve you well, especially since it's a school that assigns something for you to turn it in on time (i.e. writing about that picture).

Interviewed 1/7. Nervous as hell as this is the only school out of 4 others that I got an II. PLZ GAWD

And good luck to all the other people that are waiting for decisions I hope we all get accepted
Woah, you only applied to 4 schools? Balls of steel right there, I got my fingers crossed for us!

Woah, you only applied to 4 schools? Balls of steel right there, I got my fingers crossed for us!
Lol yeah because of family circumstances I had to apply within state. Same GL to you too

Alright, I’m ready for a decision

• Haha
Reactions: 16 users
Will today be the day? Stay tuned 😬

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Did anyone get anything yet

• Sad
I have a good feeling downstate gang is gonna get good news soon! fingers crossed for everybody here 🤞

• Care
Reactions: 5 users