2020-2021 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
pre II R lolz. i just wanna hear good news

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Pre-II R. OOS with strong ties. Complete late August

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-II R complete mid Aug. Best of luck to all.

Last edited:
  • Care
Pre-II R LM 80s OOS complete 8/7 (submitted 7/10 though)

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Pre-II R, complete 8/14, IS, MCAT 510, cGPA 3.4, sGPA 3.7, non-trad, ORM. Literally live in Brooklyn decently close to the school. This one hurts :(
Actually me too, pretty similar stats as well.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
I've heard a lot of polarizing opinions on downstate...a lot of prospective students on here describe it as their "dream school" and I'm curious as to why that is. In your experience, do a lot of students enter downstate with excitement but then are quickly disillusioned?
I think it's more so students are excited at the prospects of attending med school in "the city" and downstate is a realistic option for many students who can't get into Cornell, NYU, Mt Sinai, Columbia. The only other option that is not super competitive like those previously mentioned is Einstein. There are several students in my class who chose Downstate over Einstein I think because they prefer BK over the Bronx. The other thing I head attracts people to Downstate is the culture between students here. That is the one thing Downstate does right, the students and residents they pick are usually not extreme gunners so that makes the dynamic much more laid back. But that makes sense because no gunner with multiple options would make Downstate their #1.

Can a prospective student who has interviewed already briefly describe what the interview day schedule is like? I see it starts at 2PM EST and there is a writing assignment but other than that not sure what to expect. Thanks in advance!

does anyone know which month downstate is in for scheduling interviews? I think someone mentioned late March/early April before, but not really sure :/ also, when do they stop interviewing?

Is SUNYD's interview season almost over? I dodged this R wave but was complete in early July and haven't heard a thing from them.

Reactions: 1 user
Joining the pre II R wave. Does anyone know if they offer feedback?

• Care
Yikes got that big R. OOS but live here now and desperately wanted to stay :( 512 MCAT, 4.93 GPA, 1000+ Clinical hrs, ima go crawl under a rock :, )

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone complete october 15 onwards heard anything back yet? II or R or anything lol

I survived yesterday's R wave.... still feel like I am waiting for the inevitable.

Unfortunately, I didn’t survive the wave. Rejected yesterday :(

• Care
  • Sad
Can a prospective student who has interviewed already briefly describe what the interview day schedule is like? I see it starts at 2PM EST and there is a writing assignment but other than that not sure what to expect. Thanks in advance!
For me, it was just a ~50 minute interview with a faculty with the writing assignment due at 5PM EST. That's the entire day. The info sessions and student interviews are on separate days.

I interviewed yesterday for MD/PhD. I definitely had a different day because we started at 8:45 AM and went until 4 PM. Writing assignment was the same though. Not bad at all. Just a paragraph that you can probably write in under 10 mins. I had five faculty interviews and a research presentation, but all the interviews were very conversational and relaxed.

Pre-II R, in-state, application complete 9/2
MCAT 514, cGPA 3.56 sGPA 3.6

Broke my heart a little since it's looking more and more like I'll be going to school OOS (did undergrad out of state and I'd prefer to be closer to home after that experience), but I'm hanging in there and hoping for NY Med to pull through!

• Care
Pre-II R, in-state, application complete 9/2
MCAT 514, cGPA 3.56 sGPA 3.6

Broke my heart a little since it's looking more and more like I'll be going to school OOS (did undergrad out of state and I'd prefer to be closer to home after that experience), but I'm hanging in there and hoping for NY Med to pull through!
Were you notified today or yesterday?

Lol I got II from all the NY state schools EXCEPT DOWNSTATE DOWN THE STREET! I didn’t get an R yesterday, but I’m currently giving them the stink-eye everytime I walk outside.

• Wow
  • Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed today, not sure it went that well and i’m OOS which also doesn’t help, but hope I get in!

Does anyone know when acceptances are released?

Interviewed today, not sure it went that well and i’m OOS which also doesn’t help, but hope I get in!

Does anyone know when acceptances are released?

last year I believe they went out Feb 19th

Anyone else interview w a faculty member and then not get the email to interview w a student?

Anyone else interview w a faculty member and then not get the email to interview w a student?
My student contacted me about a week after the faculty interview.

I uploaded an update to the portal. Would it be too much to send an email asking if they received it?

I uploaded an update to the portal. Would it be too much to send an email asking if they received it?
I emailed them but they send out a computer generated answer that doesn’t even answer ur question so it’s useless lol. Attaching is fine imo

Hi,
Does anyone know what SUNY downstates post-interview acceptance rate is?
Also, has anyone sent a letter of intent to them? I’m wondering if I should send one since it is my first choice.

Got an II in the beginning of December and my interview is finally coming up first week of February, just wondering if anyone knows if those who are interviewing in the beginning of Feb will still be in that wave of acceptances?

Got an II in the beginning of December and my interview is finally coming up first week of February, just wondering if anyone knows if those who are interviewing in the beginning of Feb will still be in that wave of acceptances?
Looking at last year's thread, it seems the first wave consisted of September - December interviews only.

Last year, my friend interviewed at Downstate in January. I think he heard back in May or something like that.

Just got an II today; I'm one of the guys who got a secondary invite in October after initially being told that my MCAT was too old and I wasn't eligible.

Only available dates were the second week in March.

Obligatory Stats: Jewish ORM, In state, 517 MCAT, 3.55 cGPA, 3.37 sGPA

Hi guys

First year at Downstate here. Just wanted to wish y'all good luck. If you have any questions feel free to PM me :)

Jumping on the pre-II R train, complete 7/22. Saw it coming but still stung just a tad. Good luck everyone :)

• Care
Hi guys

First year at Downstate here. Just wanted to wish y'all good luck. If you have any questions feel free to PM me :)
Hi! I’m just genuinely curious about what your thoughts are regarding the previous criticism in this thread about Downstate from another student. It’d be nice to get multiple students perspectives regarding such pretty harsh criticism.

Hi! I’m just genuinely curious about what your thoughts are regarding the previous criticism in this thread about Downstate from another student. It’d be nice to get multiple students perspectives regarding such pretty harsh criticism.
Im not familiar with other criticism in this thread. Can you summarize it?

Im not familiar with other criticism in this thread. Can you summarize it?
Current student at Downstate. I wish I had someone who would have spoken to me candidly about downstate when i was applying and inquiring. If you are not aware with the culture at downstate I would really encourage you to think twice about coming here. Everything is very 'figure it out on your own.' Research opportunities are minimal, mentorship is minimal, financial support is minimal. Everyone who goes here seems to just be ok with it because we're too far in but hopefully this will deter some of the rest of you from attending if you have other options. My only frame of reference of course is my UGrad institution of course which had its imperfections but this place is just something else. Feel free to PM me for specifics.

Update: This is based on preclinical years so far. I have not started clerkship which is apparently what sets Downstate students apart from others. Take what I say with a grain of salt and do your due diligence to investigate.

Another development has led me to vent on this forum. Sorry but this place is too much. The registrar is denying a tuition adjustment (that amounts to thousands of dollars) because of delays in submitting documents. Many of these documents required government appointments that were closed for months due to the pandemic, and their arrival was further delayed because of the postal service fiasco. This school's administration does not care about their students. You can feel it from the moment you walk in for your interview, and that never goes away. You can interpret this as a desperate attempt of one student who has been spurned and is trying to tarnish their school's reputation, but the sentiment of most of my classmates mimics mine but they would rather go quietly than stir the pot.

Other occurrences that show there is a culture of disregard for patients and students that goes up to hospital admin. Four Fired SUNY Downstate Surgeons Sue, Claim Retaliation for Whistleblowing

I agree that Everything is very 'figure it out on your own.' and Research opportunities are minimal But I dont agree about the minimal mentorship and the faculty not caring. The faculty might be a disorganized mess at times lol but they really do care about our success and they have really gone out of their way several times to accomodate the students

I interviewed early November and I am just waiting to hear back at this point. I was thinking of sending a update letter with stuff that I talked about during my interview day, but was not mentioned in my primary or secondary. Is this necessary? Or have they probably already made a decision on my application? Thanks!

• Sad
Is the formal interview day you schedule in addition to the VITA ?

Just got a II! Complete 10/3! Only saw March dates available!