2020-2021 SUNY - Upstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II received yesterday, IS Complete late July

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Are there any current students/anyone that knows their primary focus or anything key they appreciate to highlight during the II like research etc.?

Members don't see this ad :)
did anyones payment fee take awhile to show that it was paid? Still waiting on that and its been a week or so.

Anyone know how to submit the payment after you submit the secondary? My application got moved to the "Processed Applications" section but I do not see a way to submit the Supplemental Application Fee.

Hi, for anyone who was approved for FAP, did you just forward the email from AAMC which says your fee waiver has been approved to the SUNY Upstate admissions office to get a waiver for the secondary app?

Hi all! Do we know for certain that the interview is virtual? I see things about virtual info sessions and and campus tours, but nothing about the actual interview other than it's two 20-25 minute interviews with a staff member and student. I just realized this as my interview is on Monday 9/14, and I'm currently working in Colorado. Definitely won't be able to travel to Syracuse next week...
II on 8/13, IS, 3.92/515 Complete 7/26.

Hi all! Do we know for certain that the interview is virtual? I see things about virtual info sessions and and campus tours, but nothing about the actual interview other than it's two 20-25 minute interviews with a staff member and student. I just realized this as my interview is on Monday 9/14, and I'm currently working in Colorado. Definitely won't be able to travel to Syracuse next week...
II on 8/13, IS, 3.92/515 Complete 7/26.
Yes it is virtual I confirmed it with the admissions office.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone had an II already? Curious as to what the virtual II will be like and how they'll approach it in terms of questions, etc. and if it is blind or not.

i submitted my secondary yesterday and my fee but when i click on processed applications and my application for fall 2021, i dont see it marked as received in either the secondary or the fee??

i submitted my secondary yesterday and my fee but when i click on processed applications and my application for fall 2021, i dont see it marked as received in either the secondary or the fee??
This happened to me. My secondary fee is still not marked as complete.

Anyone know how to submit the payment after you submit the secondary? My application got moved to the "Processed Applications" section but I do not see a way to submit the Supplemental Application Fee.

Did you reach out to admissions about this? I have the same exact issue. I got timed out while looking for my credit card and when I logged back in, my application was marked as "processed" and I received a secondary received email. Didn't submit my $110 payment yet.

Hi, for anyone who was approved for FAP, did you just forward the email from AAMC which says your fee waiver has been approved to the SUNY Upstate admissions office to get a waiver for the secondary app?
would also like to know

Members don't see this ad :)
would also like to know

that's what I did - literally pressed forward on the email and wrote a message saying hi i'm so and so and this is my fee waiver. they marked everything received a few days later.

did people actually fill the 1800 for the specialty question? I have a couple ideas and I am thinking I will just pick one I am considering but idk if I have that much to say about it...

II this morning! Complete 7/22, LM 73, OOS, no ties, ORM

Reactions: 5 users
did people actually fill the 1800 for the specialty question? I have a couple ideas and I am thinking I will just pick one I am considering but idk if I have that much to say about it...

Mine was 1300 and I have lots of experience in that field/pretty sure that's what I want to do. It should be like 50 words imo since most pre-meds don't know for sure.

II just now!! IS, ORM, complete 8/14

First available date was 11/18 and the next one was in December

Same, that's what I had to sign up for but I'm def going on the waitlist for something earlier!

Reactions: 1 users

Question for you (and others with interviews)! Are you counting the complete date of their last email notification or the initial one? Like I got one complete email on 8/14 but then another one on 8/18 because I think they had a mess up

Question for you (and others with interviews)! Are you counting the complete date of their last email notification or the initial one? Like I got one complete email on 8/14 but then another one on 8/18 because I think they had a mess up
The initial, I also got one 8/14 and another 8/18

Submitted my secondary 9/10, complete 9/11. Looks like they are moving faster now.

I have an interview with Upstate this Wednesday, which I have been preparing for quite some time, and I literally just read that they are no longer using MMI but rather two traditional interviews.

Does anyone know when Upstate made this decision? I gotta get new glasses..

I have an interview with Upstate this Wednesday, which I have been preparing for quite some time, and I literally just read that they are no longer using MMI but rather two traditional interviews.

And did anyone already attend their 'Meet and Greet' session?

Was this stated in their email? I didn't read anything about it changing

Was this stated in their email? I didn't read anything about it changing
In their emails they never mentioned anything, but on the MSAR it always said (and still says) that they use MMI.

However, if you log onto their secondary portal, click on the interview page, it then says they use 2 traditional, 20-25 minute interviews

In their emails they never mentioned anything, but on the MSAR it always said (and still says) that they use MMI.

However, if you log onto their secondary portal, click on the interview page, it then says they use 2 traditional, 20-25 minute interviews
Yikes this is news to me too. I thought they were somehow doing virtual MMI.

One of the few OOS state schools that showed me love, good luck to all of the applicants!

just noticed that too rip

I confirmed with Admissions this morning that the interview is 2 traditional, 20-25 minute interviews

@adamir154 @bigfish123 @inked.cuse @Archemia

Hello, they made the switch from MMI to traditional interviews due to COVID. The MMI-style format was not conducive to virtual interviews.

Best of luck on your interview day!

This question is designed to gauge applicant interest but I can't imagine it plays a significant role in most, if any, AdCom members.
You certainly don't have to fill this question. As a general rule: Whenever filling out applications, be honest and succinct.

Is the Virtual meet and greet session with video on, etc?

Complete today, submitted Aug 21st

Just got a we have received your application email today after a complete email back on august 21st. Is this normal to get multiple emails?

Reactions: 6 users
Just got a we have received your application email today after a complete email back on august 21st. Is this normal to get multiple emails?

Literally the 4th complete email I’ve gotten. What r they doing

Reactions: 5 users
I just got an email subject line “SUNY Upstate - Application Status” and it said:

“Thank you for applying to SUNY Upstate Medical University! Your application has been received!

Please allow two business days for your application to be processed and register in your checklist as having been received.

Now that your application has been submitted, if any changes or updates arise that you would like the committee to consider, you may upload relevant documents by logging into your MyUpstate account. The upload section will appear at the bottom of the page when you log in. Examples of relevant updates might include information pertaining to new grades and/or experiences (research/volunteer/community service/paid employment etc.).

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us at [email protected] or 315-464-4570.”

...even though I got an application complete email on 8/14. My heart jumped when I first got it thinking I got an II! Anyone else?

Reactions: 8 users
I just got an email subject line “SUNY Upstate - Application Status” and it said:

“Thank you for applying to SUNY Upstate Medical University! Your application has been received!

Please allow two business days for your application to be processed and register in your checklist as having been received.

Now that your application has been submitted, if any changes or updates arise that you would like the committee to consider, you may upload relevant documents by logging into your MyUpstate account. The upload section will appear at the bottom of the page when you log in. Examples of relevant updates might include information pertaining to new grades and/or experiences (research/volunteer/community service/paid employment etc.).

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us at [email protected] or 315-464-4570.”

...even though I got an application complete email on 8/14. My heart jumped when I first got it thinking I got an II! Anyone else?

Also received this and am pretty confused. I submitted application in August and received 3 complete emails prior to this one. Can anyone speak to this odd application status email?? Also, is there a place to check what this current status may be

YES! I got the same exact one! And got the same application complete email on 8/14 (for the graduate school) and 8/18 (for the school of medicine). I'm wondering if this is just an internal error

Reactions: 2 users
+6ish for the 4th iteration of a complete email. My heart also skipped, but I thought it was an R since it just said status haha. Sounds like almost everyone got it?

I got an II maybe a week ago and got this email too FWIW
+6ish for the 4th iteration of a complete email. My heart also skipped, but I thought it was an R since it just said status haha. Sounds like almost everyone got it?
YES! I got the same exact one! And got the same application complete email on 8/14 (for the graduate school) and 8/18 (for the school of medicine). I'm wondering if this is just an internal error

Also received this and am pretty confused. I submitted application in August and received 3 complete emails prior to this one. Can anyone speak to this odd application status email?? Also, is there a place to check what this current status may be

received a complete email aug 18th and today just got a "application has been received" email lol what

Hi! I have an upcoming interview with Upstate and I am a bit confused about the format. The interview page says the format is 2 traditional 20 min interviews. However, on the PDF for the meet and greet sessions, they say its an MMI interview.

Does anyone know what the actual interview format for Upstate will be?

Hi! I have an upcoming interview with Upstate and I am a bit confused about the format. The interview page says the format is 2 traditional 20 min interviews. However, on the PDF for the meet and greet sessions, they say its an MMI interview.

Does anyone know what the actual interview format for Upstate will be?
Traditional. MMI was before, they just didnt change the PDF

Called Upstate, it was an error and they said to disregard the email lol

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Ya'll they sent it again. They Wild'n out rn! Just sent an II already. I know you want to.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users