2020-2021 Temple

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am also interested in seeing if there’s an accepted students page. Hoping the link gets posted in this thread or we get an email or something?
I’m in the st Luke’s gang and would really like to get some more info before matriculation
If there's general info you need about St Luke's I'm happy to help or put you in touch with someone who can. I would guess there's not an accepted students page yet, but I can look into getting something set up for you all. My first year a "LKSOM Class of XXXX" page didn't get set up until May or June.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
If there's general info you need about St Luke's I'm happy to help or put you in touch with someone who can. I would guess there's not an accepted students page yet, but I can look into getting something set up for you all. My first year a "LKSOM Class of XXXX" page didn't get set up until May or June.

Do you know if they're still interviewing for the St. Luke's campus? Grew up in Bethlehem so pretty surprised and bummed that I haven't heard from them.

Do you know if they're still interviewing for the St. Luke's campus? Grew up in Bethlehem so pretty surprised and bummed that I haven't heard from them.
By rule, Temple School of Medicine/Katz must have all their available seats filled by 3/15/21. Any interviews are likely to be for waitlist cushion beyond that. There is a fair amount of waitlist movement. The 2020 average MCAT score of Katz SOM was 512 which is a heavy factor and puts everyone on an entirely equal footing as opposed to the challenge of comparing GPAs from schools and areas of studies of different rigor. Katz also has some preferred pre-requisites. There was an option upon application to select a Preferred Campus. Essays/Personal Statements for Beth/Katz that focus on a rural medicine mission may be more likely to get an II in particular is the applicant's direct patient contact and volunteerism have a rural medicine proven component. Good luck, there is still hope, stay positive and things will work out for you. It is a tough cycle, even for applicants with high stats that have checked all the other boxes. I think Temple got somewhere around 16,000 applications this year.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did some digging, and Decisions in Feb/December, both came out on Tuesdays, 12/8 and 2/9, do we think we could hear this coming Tuesday 3/9? Or since they said "mid March" maybe 3/16? Purely speculatory, but I know they said committee meets every Friday, so crossing my fingers they reviewed apps from this week too for this release.

Reactions: 1 user
By rule, Temple School of Medicine/Katz must have all their available seats filled by 3/15/21. Any interviews are likely to be for waitlist cushion beyond that. There is a fair amount of waitlist movement. The 2020 average MCAT score of Katz SOM was 512 which is a heavy factor and puts everyone on an entirely equal footing as opposed to the challenge of comparing GPAs from schools and areas of studies of different rigor. Katz also has some preferred pre-requisites. There was an option upon application to select a Preferred Campus. Essays/Personal Statements for Beth/Katz that focus on a rural medicine mission may be more likely to get an II in particular is the applicant's direct patient contact and volunteerism have a rural medicine proven component. Good luck, there is still hope, stay positive and things will work out for you. It is a tough cycle, even for applicants with high stats that have checked all the other boxes. I think Temple got somewhere around 16,000 applications this year.

Appreciate this, thank you!

Did some digging, and Decisions in Feb/December, both came out on Tuesdays, 12/8 and 2/9, do we think we could hear this coming Tuesday 3/9? Or since they said "mid March" maybe 3/16? Purely speculatory, but I know they said committee meets every Friday, so crossing my fingers they reviewed apps from this week too for this release.
my guess would be more like 3/16 but fingers crossed foe this Tuesday!!!

I uploaded a post-II update on the secondary portal but it isn't reflected on the tu portal. Should I also email them or is that overkill? Has anyone had this experience?

Appreciate this, thank you!

So do you think all interview dates after March 15th are solely for the waitlist, and no A's will go out beyond then? If that's the case, that kinda sucks. I know some schools over accept applicants because of anticipated waitlist movement. When I scheduled my interview for the 18th, I believe there were at least four other interview dates through the end of March.

Yeah if you could influence getting a FB page sooner than later that’d be great. Going to St Luke’s and would like to start looking for potential roommates and place to live.
The schools generally may do a Face Book Page much later in the cycle. 50% of current acceptances will choose not to attend Katz. Yield rate considered. Some very, very, lucky applicants have multiple acceptances and some may get their preferred choice later in the cycle when the person in the ladder rung above them chooses to decline and then the dominos flow through when they in turn decline. Katz is an incredible program, can't imagine where they go. Additionally, isn't Facebook kind of..... so yesterday, and a profession that prides itself in HIPPA and privacy, Facebook has limited privacy :>

So do you think all interview dates after March 15th are solely for the waitlist, and no A's will go out beyond then? If that's the case, that kinda sucks. I know some schools over accept applicants because of anticipated waitlist movement. When I scheduled my interview for the 18th, I believe there were at least four other interview dates through the end of March.
Also wondering this :(

Also wondering this :(
Do not worry about it. All you need is to go and ace the interview .You do not know if there is a waitlist movement by the time they make a decision about your application. I have a couple of waitlists where I was told that straight up that I did well and I will be placed on the waitlist, high priority waitlist. GO AND KNOCK THE INTERVIEW OUT , FAM!!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The schools generally may do a Face Book Page much later in the cycle. 50% of current acceptances will choose not to attend Katz. Yield rate considered. Some very, very, lucky applicants have multiple acceptances and some may get their preferred choice later in the cycle when the person in the ladder rung above them chooses to decline and then the dominos flow through when they in turn decline. Katz is an incredible program, can't imagine where they go. Additionally, isn't Facebook kind of..... so yesterday, and a profession that prides itself in HIPPA and privacy, Facebook has limited privacy :>
Do not worry about it. All you need is to go and ace the interview.You do not know if there is a waitlist movement by the time they make a decision about your application. I have a couple of waitlists where I was told that straight up that I did well and I will be placed on the waitlist, high priority waitlist. GO AND KNOCK THE INTERVIEW OUT, FAM!!

Knew it was likely next week anyway, but assuming no post-II decisions today? Those update via TU portal we scheduled interview on and email? or just portal update for decision? Also estimates on time of day I know it seemed A's came out first then CC list? Just so I know how long to panic check my email next week.

Do not worry about it. All you need is to go and ace the interview .You do not know if there is a waitlist movement by the time they make a decision about your application. I have a couple of waitlists where I was told that straight up that I did well and I will be placed on the waitlist, high priority waitlist. GO AND KNOCK THE INTERVIEW OUT , FAM!!
+1

A bunch of my classmates are waitlist admits. There's a lot of movement. One of them got called up like 2 weeks before orientation, so keep your head up. Once you get that II you're on equal footing and it all comes down to being yourself and both of you seeing if Temple is a good fit.

+1

A bunch of my classmates are waitlist admits. There's a lot of movement. One of them got called up like 2 weeks before orientation, so keep your head up. Once you get that II you're on equal footing and it all comes down to being yourself and both of you seeing if Temple is a good fit.
Mighty Quinn, is the following in the ballpark? (11,346 applicants, for 220 seats, with 483 accepted for the MD Class of 2019) thus 263 applicant's accepted did not attend leaving opportunity for waitlist movement as some of the waitlist acceptances may also not attend. Clearly an acceptance today is preferred to a waitlist, but the waitlist is not an entirely poor place to be with the 483 acceptances given for 220 seats?

how exactly do decisions get released? portal/phone/or email?

Brace yourself boys! 3/16/2021 is coming .

Hi Guys! I submitted my secondary in September and still haven't heard anything. Have they ghosted me or is there still a chance for their interview? Also, do they accept update letters?

Hi Guys! I submitted my secondary in September and still haven't heard anything. Have they ghosted me or is there still a chance for their interview? Also, do they accept update letters?
Updates are accecpted, I sent one in Dec and one last week

Wondering if I should send an LOI this week or April 1st.

They confirmed receipt and that they’ll add it to my file, but no interview (yet)

I have the same question as the person below, because I uploaded all of my updates to the portal and never received confirmation

I have the same question as the person below, because I uploaded all of my updates to the portal and never received confirmation
I uploaded my Dec update to the portal, but emailed my second update to the adcom address. I feel very strongly about Temple so I emailed them a quick blurb in addition to the update letter.

II today! Only 3 dates available in March when I checked. Top school choice so i’m very excited!

Does anyone know if at this point interviews would just be for waitlist spots?

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
II today! Only 3 dates available in March when I checked. Top school choice so i’m very excited!

Does anyone know if at this point interviews would just be for waitlist spots?
Congrats! and sadly, nobody knows (have asked too), but based on how many A's get offered in their "Mid-March" release date, which we speculate to be the 16th, can probably get a better guess cause if no one/very few get A's then it's probably all WL movement from here, but I'd imagine they over-accept a lot and there are still A's out there just based on other similar schools, but Temple could do it totally different, who knows.

Congrats! and sadly, nobody knows (have asked too), but based on how many A's get offered in their "Mid-March" release date, which we speculate to be the 16th, can probably get a better guess cause if no one/very few get A's then it's probably all WL movement from here, but I'd imagine they over-accept a lot and there are still A's out there just based on other similar schools, but Temple could do it totally different, who knows.
It may be against the rules to "overbook" a class. Medical Schools are only allowed to provide acceptances for the number of seats they have available and their acceptances that are still outstanding must by rule equal the number of seats available by March 15th. It is likely between March 15th and the date of matriculation some of the outstanding acceptances will be declined by applicants (yield rate) that have found a better fit for them at another school, thus applicants will be selected off the waitlist for acceptance.

It may be against the rules to "overbook" a class. Medical Schools are only allowed to provide acceptances for the number of seats they have available and their acceptances that are still outstanding must by rule equal the number of seats available by March 15th. It is likely between March 15th and the date of matriculation some of the outstanding acceptances will be declined by applicants (yield rate) that have found a better fit for them at another school, thus applicants will be selected off the waitlist for acceptance.
Unless Temple is unique, most schools accept a number that is above class size initially, then as it falls below their number of seats available, they accept off of a WL, at least that's how a couple of the schools I've been accepted to do it, but maybe they're the ones that do it oddly. So I don't think there's a rule preventing medical schools from doing that. Maybe Temple specifically though. but agreed, I imagine plenty of WL movement especially since people didn't have to travel to interview. Having to have a full class by March 15 versus being unable to accept more than class size are two different things though.

Unless Temple is unique, most schools accept a number that is above class size initially, then as it falls below their number of seats available, they accept off of a WL, at least that's how a couple of the schools I've been accepted to do it, but maybe they're the ones that do it oddly. So I don't think there's a rule preventing medical schools from doing that. Maybe Temple specifically though. but agreed, I imagine plenty of WL movement especially since people didn't have to travel to interview. Having to have a full class by March 15 versus being unable to accept more than class size are two different things though.
You are correct, I used the term matriculants and acceptances interchangeably and they are distinct, thanks for catch and the correction! They must at least equal the number of seats with acceptances by March 15th, but can go over as long as the acceptances do not become matriculants. I think when they actually have more matriculants show up than LCME allowed seats for their school they have to file for some type of special increase in allowed class size. Thus the necessity of associated agony of the wait - while on the waitlist to help balance acceptances, to matriculants to seats. Congrats on the multiple acceptances you noted.

II today , only date available is March 25th

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Let's manifest these A's this Tuesday!!!!!!
lmaooo AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA'S

Reactions: 6 users
lmaooo AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA'S
i like ur energy

is the next decision date for st lukes also tomorrow?

What time do decisions normally release? I saw on past days, A's usually hit first, then WL? at least for a couple it seemed that way. Also wonder if the CYMS will show beforehand. I know OSU does

My CYMS like weirdly just changed - is this an A?
What time do decisions normally release? I saw on past days, A's usually hit first, then WL? at least for a couple it seemed that way. Also wonder if the CYMS will show beforehand. I know OSU does