2020-2021 Texas Tech, Lubbock

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You know, after recalling what the meangreenraider mention about the curriculum for their masters program, they are at a huuuuuuge advantage over MS1s coming in fresh. And then when you have the pressure of passing with honors and all that, it's more stressful than it needs to be.
2 people warned me about this, one of them who is currently an MS3 at Tech, and another MS2.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it’s worth mentioning that they switched pre-clinical grading to pass/fail during Covid and when I asked during my interview they said that they are considering keeping it that way (although I can’t know how seriously they are considering it of course). Here’s to hoping they do!
This is true! The MS1s & MS2s this year are doing a true P/F, no rank due to COVID. I obviously don't have a 100% for sure answer, but I had heard that it may stay P/F but ranked. Thus, your transcript would just show P/F, but you would be ranked within your class for AOA & your dean's letter/MSPE. Like I said, just something I had heard, so who knows for sure.

Reactions: 1 users
This is true! The MS1s & MS2s this year are doing a true P/F, no rank due to COVID. I obviously don't have a 100% for sure answer, but I had heard that it may stay P/F but ranked. Thus, your transcript would just show P/F, but you would be ranked within your class for AOA & your dean's letter/MSPE. Like I said, just something I had heard, so who knows for sure.
From the interview I do recall that they mentioned they were most likely going to continue the P/F this coming year due to the ongoing pandemic

Members don't see this ad :)
From the interview I do recall that they mentioned they were most likely going to continue the P/F this coming year due to the ongoing pandemic
I actually got the opposite impression. The students and staff I asked said they were going to go back to P/F with rankings since covid vaccines will allow for in class examinations.

I actually got the opposite impression. The students and staff I asked said they were going to go back to P/F with rankings since covid vaccines will allow for in class examinations.
Sorry, I forgot to add the ranking component. I also understood that internal ranking would be back on but with P/F

Does anyone know how many acceptances the school offers?

Yeah the HSC has been great about getting all of us vaccinated! I actually got my 2nd dose of the Moderna vaccine on Monday & I think most of the MS1s & MS2s have been vaccinated, or at least gotten the first dose.

I was in an information session a few months ago, and the Dean specifically said they aren't giving that type of information out. Are we 100% sure the info on US News is correct?

Didn’t get an interview but got the email this morning to set up my eraider account. Tech stop playing me haha

• Care
I was in an information session a few months ago, and the Dean specifically said they aren't giving that type of information out. Are we 100% sure the info on US News is correct?
They may not be giving it out as the cycle progresses, but the information from US News matches several other sources that I've compared it to for other schools. For example, I've compared it to MSAR and multiple school-specific sites (for other schools). It's also what @TheDataKing used here.

Members don't see this ad :)
They may not be giving it out as the cycle progresses, but the information from US News matches several other sources that I've compared it to for other schools. For example, I've compared it to MSAR and multiple school-specific sites (for other schools). It's also what @TheDataKing used here.
You're awesome and I hope you matriculate!

Didn’t get an interview but got the email this morning to set up my eraider account. Tech stop playing me haha
If you don't know already, that email doesn't mean anything. It is sent to all interviewees and has no indication of your odds of acceptance.

I apologize for that. The 365 is IS acceptances. Here's all the data. https://premium.usnews.com/best-gra...-tech-university-health-sciences-center-04112

ApplicantsInterviewsAcceptancesMatriculants
Total3,5411,032411180
In-State2,978884365162
Out-of-state5631484618
Women1,79252822395
Minority1,89757519892
I've always wondered about something with these numbers: are Texas residents going through the match that WOULD HAVE been given an acceptance here but chose to go elsewhere/ had another school ranked higher that they were accepted to and thus were never told that they would have gotten into a school counted among the acceptances? If not, the number could be lower than the real chance in state students have of getting in after interview. Does that make sense?

I've always wondered about something with these numbers: are Texas residents going through the match that WOULD HAVE been given an acceptance here but chose to go elsewhere/ had another school ranked higher that they were accepted to and thus were never told that they would have gotten into a school counted among the acceptances? If not, the number could be lower than the real chance in state students have of getting in after interview. Does that make sense?
That is an incredible question. I’d also be curious to know the answer to that.

I think what you're saying is that a student who matched to a school that they ranked higher than Lubbock would never know that they would have been accepted to Lubbock, even if Lubbock ranked that student at the very top of its student list. If that is what you mean, then I don't see how that situation would mean that "the number could be lower than the real chance in state students have of getting in after interview". Let's walk through an example.

Student "A" interviews at five different schools and ranks them 1-5. The schools are very impressed with student "A" and each ranks them first on their student lists. This means that student A would match at whichever of the five schools that he ranked first, which happens to be school 1. At this point, I think you're saying that student A doesn't know they "would have been given an acceptance" and isn't "counted among the acceptances". While it is true that they aren't counted as an acceptance, it's misleading to say that they should be. The 4 acceptances that were taken by student A in this example are just moved down the student list and given to someone else. This means that the total number of acceptances is the same and is independent of how the rank choices of schools and applicants. This also means that the real chance of a student getting in post-interview is equal to the total number of realized/actual acceptances divided by the total number of interviewees.

Another way to think of it is that the total number of seats available has nothing to do with rankings. If there are 10,000 applicants and 3,000 interviewees vying for 1,000 seats available at all Texas schools, the total number of unique students that can be accepted is 1,000 (assuming everyone accepted attends at least one school). There might be some students with ten acceptances and some students with only one acceptance. Even if the total number of "acceptances" (not accepted students) is 2,000, there are still only 1,000 seats available. The total number of unrealized acceptances does not at all affect the chances of an interviewee getting accepted to a school. It would still be 1,000/3,000 (33%).

Last edited by a moderator:
I think what you're saying is that a student who matched to a school that they ranked higher than Lubbock would never know that they would have been accepted to Lubbock, even if Lubbock ranked that student at the very top of its student list. If that is what you mean, then I don't see how that situation would mean that "the number could be lower than the real chance in state students have of getting in after interview". Let's walk through an example.

Student "A" interviews at five different schools and ranks them 1-5. The schools are very impressed with student "A" and each ranks them first on their student lists. This means that student A would match at whichever of the five schools that he ranked first, which happens to be school 1. At this point, I think you're saying that student A doesn't know they "would have been given an acceptance" and isn't "counted among the acceptances". While it is true that they aren't counted as an acceptance, it's misleading to say that they should be. The 4 acceptances that were taken by student A in this example are just moved down the student list and given to someone else. This means that the total number of acceptances is the same and is independent of how the rank choices of schools and applicants. This also means that the real chance of a student getting in post-interview is equal to the total number of realized/actual acceptances divided by the total number of interviewees.
So what I'm wondering is, if I wanted to know my chance of being able to go here if this is my first choice, wouldn't my chance actually be higher than acceptances/ interviews because this doesn't factor in the number of people that chose a different school, leaving the formula acceptances/(interviews- people who went elsewhere) and giving me a better chance? This might mean, for example, that the chance at UTSW was much closer to the acceptances/ interviews while the chance at SHSU was further away from that number, and a school like Tech, which is wonderful but further away from the majority of Texans, would be somewhere in the middle.

So what I'm wondering is, if I wanted to know my chance of being able to go here if this is my first choice, wouldn't my chance actually be higher than acceptances/ interviews because this doesn't factor in the number of people that chose a different school, leaving the formula acceptances/(interviews- people who went elsewhere) and giving me a better chance? This might mean, for example, that the chance at UTSW was much closer to the acceptances/ interviews while the chance at SHSU was further away from that number, and a school like Tech, which is wonderful but further away from the majority of Texans, would be somewhere in the middle.
Where you rank your school increases the likelihood of you attending there, but it doesn't increase the chance of you getting accepted there. Let's assume you are ranked 200 on their student list. If you rank them first, you will obviously matriculate here before you matriculate to any other school, but it doesn't increase your odds of them moving down 200 spots on their list.

Where you rank your school increases the likelihood of you attending there, but it doesn't increase the chance of you getting accepted there. Let's assume you are ranked 200 on their student list. If you rank them first, you will obviously matriculate here before you matriculate to any other school, but it doesn't increase your odds of them moving down 200 spots on their list.
I'm not advocating for playing games with the rank list. People need to rank schools based on their preferences and trust the match to sort it out. This is not actually about an individual person as much as it is people in aggregate and thus being able to use the formula acceptances/interviews as an accurate metric for chances to be accepted to a school. The likelihood of UTSW having to move 200 spots down their list is much less than the likelihood that SHSU would have to (assuming no yield protection and roughly equal size classes, which isn't reality but is easy for thought purposes).

All interviewees? I didn’t get it.
Some people who interviewed fairly recently have not gotten it yet. I couldn't tell you why you didn't get it, but I do know that the admissions office says that it means nothing as far as getting accepted post-II.

I know this has been discussed already but couldn't find it in the thread...TT Lubbock is not accepting letters of intent right?

I know this has been discussed already but couldn't find it in the thread...TT Lubbock is not accepting letters of intent right?
They told me that they were due at the end of November. They said they would still technically accept them, but that they won't upload them to your application or guarantee that the adcoms will read them unless they were submitted by November.

@wysdoc so at this point do schools already know who they are going to match? Why does it take two weeks for the match system?
Sometimes they will have one last committee meeting to talk over more recent interviewees. Their prematched guys will be on the top of their list but they still have to put other guys in order and submit to TMDSAS

Sometimes they will have one last committee meeting to talk over more recent interviewees. Their prematched guys will be on the top of their list but they still have to put other guys in order and submit to TMDSAS
Any sort of timeline for those who are OOS?

Last edited:
Any sort of timeline for those who are OOS? Are they sidelined until after match day then brought back up in future committee meetings?
Last year, there was a bunch of OOS movement in early March. A lot of people got waitlisted around Match Day. Then, many of them got accepted in early May.

Is there any OOS got an acceptance letter from TTUHSC?

Is there any OOS got an acceptance letter from TTUHSC?
Yes. Someone on this thread reported getting an out-of-state acceptance in October.

Yes. Someone on this thread reported getting an out-of-state acceptance in October.
did they sent out any OOS acceptance after January 2021 or will they be doing it after the match day? Thank you for responding!

did they sent out any OOS acceptance after January 2021 or will they be doing it after the match day? Thank you for responding!
From what @SmellGud and I have determined it’ll likely be March or May for OOS. I had a buddy get an A in October and he emailed them to withdraw. They are likely busy with match day and then will make OOS decisions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
anyone else counting down the days until match day?

As we get closer to Match Day, I just want to remind everyone to not freak out if they don't match or don't hear back about the WL. This cycle will obviously be different than previous ones, but past SDN threads show that it can take anywhere from a week to a month for WL notifications to come out after Match Day.

As we get closer to Match Day, I just want to remind everyone to not freak out if they don't match or don't hear back about the WL. This cycle will obviously be different than previous ones, but past SDN threads show that it can take anywhere from a week to a month for WL notifications to come out after Match Day.
Don't bring that bad juju on me! We all matching in here!!!!!

• Haha
Does anyone know how many total acceptance offers are given out to OOS students based on previous years?

Does anyone know how many total acceptance offers are given out to OOS students based on previous years?
There can technically be up to 18 OOS matriculants because 90% must be IS and the class size is 180. Last year, there were 46 OOS acceptances (according to US News), so that means that 28 OOS students were accepted but chose not to matriculate. I'd wager that number stays fairly consistent each year.

Edit: Found some sources for this. I found the following post-II acceptance rates from several sources/years.

31.1%
43.8%
40.4%

Reactions: 3 users
Good luck to all of you IS this weekend with the match !

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
So if you don't get matched on March 5, should you send a letter if you're interested in going here?
I would wait until you are notified that you are on the waitlist. Otherwise, you might come across as desperate.

I would wait until you are notified that you are on the waitlist. Otherwise, you might come across as desperate.

But we are desperate
giphy.gif

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 13 users
So if you don't get matched on March 5, should you send a letter if you're interested in going here?
Send a letter if you are offered a WL spot.
Also, they may not let you know that you are on a WL right after Match Day (might take a couple of weeks). Why? National Resident Match Day is coming up on March 19th and the med schools do have a lot going on supporting their current MS4 students to and through the match for residencies.
The schools will need a little time to see who ended up matched to their class, who ended up elsewhere, and who they want to put on their WL.

Reactions: 3 users