2020-2021 Texas Tech, Lubbock

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Send a letter if you are offered a WL spot.
Also, they may not let you know that you are on a WL right after Match Day (might take a couple of weeks). Why? National Resident Match Day is coming up on March 19th and the med schools do have a lot going on supporting their current MS4 students to and through the match for residencies.
The schools will need a little time to see who ended up matched to their class, who ended up elsewhere, and who they want to put on their WL.
Has there ever been a time where tmdsas accidently leaked the match results? Or set them out earlier than March 5 at 8am?

Members don't see this ad.

Has there ever been a time where tmdsas accidently leaked the match results? Or set them out earlier than March 5 at 8am?
No system-wide leaks that I have ever heard of!

However, some schools will email you an acceptance offer after midnight. Out of the last 4 years, a few schools did this but last year no schools did (I stayed up till midnight with y'all for nothing!)

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
No system-wide leaks that I have ever heard of!

However, some schools will email you an acceptance offer after midnight. Out of the last 4 years, a few schools did this but last year no schools did (I stayed up till midnight with y'all for nothing!)
You also stayed up with us on the first day of prematch offers, which was equally uneventful, but it was so kind! You're always so helpful! Thanks for having our backs!

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not even part of the match, and I am getting nervous for all of you. Good luck to everyone that interviewed and is IS!

Reactions: 3 users
I interviewed here. Does anyone know what percent of students at TTUHSC fail/drop out?

I interviewed here. Does anyone know what percent of students at TTUHSC fail/drop out?

Failing/dropping out doesn’t reflect much about the medical school than it does about the individual. The majority of medical schools want their students to succeed but of course if other things are happening outside the school I.e relationships, family, sickness then it’s hard for medical schools to really be involved. Although I am aware some schools allow students to postpone a semester or year to deal with their issues.

All in all, that’s a useless statistic and you shouldn’t start school with failure in mind.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think the school releases that number publicly, but it is a very small number. The average for all US MD schools is only around 1-2% for academic reasons. I would definitely not stress dropping out for academic reasons before you even begin. Go in, work hard, and use the resources the school offers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
I went to undergrad at TTU and grad school at the HSC. I was waitlisted here and ultimately rejected 2 years ago, and I’m gonna be so sad if I don’t match tomorrow :( I have acceptances out of state and am super grateful for that, but I’m just trying to stay a red raider.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
The failure rates are actually higher. So at TCOM for instance like 7-8% fail out from year 1. But they get to repeat a course or year or whatever so their actual failure rates are lower because they give chances for remediation and to repeat a course over summer, or the whole year. That's why the official failure rate is lower than the actual failure rate which can be up to 7-10% at many US medical schools.
Yes, there are more than 1-2% of students that fail, but I was specifically referring to the percentage that "fail/drop out" which is different than just failing.

I went to undergrad at TTU and grad school at the HSC. I was waitlisted here and ultimately rejected 2 years ago, and I’m gonna be so sad if I don’t match tomorrow :( I have acceptances out of state and am super grateful for that, but I’m just trying to stay a red raider.
Did you do their masters program? Did they say why they waitlisted? I thought everyone who did that got in?

How can you postpone a semester. Seems it'd have to be a year.

The same way you can postpone a year ( join someone else’s class). Or is there something I am missing.

Are FMAT people people told earlier than match day people or do you match FMAT the same time as match day?

Are FMAT people people told earlier than match day people or do you match FMAT the same time as match day?
I was told about my acceptance to FMAT when I pre-matched :) I don’t know if they announce FMAT acceptances with the match 🤔

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told about my acceptance to FMAT when I pre-matched :) I don’t know if they announce FMAT acceptances with the match 🤔
Do you think that I'd you didn't pre-match and get into FMAt, that it's safe to assume I didn't make the cut for FMAT?

Good luck. What master's program did you do? Why do you think you did not get in 2 years ago, did you ask them?

Good luck. What master's program did you do? Why do you think you did not get in 2 years ago, did you ask them?
I did an MPH. I never looked into it but I’m assuming it was because my MCAT was 500 and my GPA was around 3.52. I have really good EC/ leadership/ research/ scribe experience so I figured it came down to that (was honestly surprised I interviewed at all). But I retook my MCAT and got a 510, plus I’ve had a 4.0 in grad school so I’m hoping this time I’ll be accepted!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I did an MPH. I never looked into it but I’m assuming it was because my MCAT was 500 and my GPA was around 3.52. I have really good EC/ leadership/ research/ scribe experience so I figured it came down to that (was honestly surprised I interviewed at all). But I retook my MCAT and got a 510, plus I’ve had a 4.0 in grad school so I’m hoping this time I’ll be accepted!
That is a nice comeback story! Nice job.

like many others, i’ve been checking this thread for reassurance and a supportive environment and truth be told, that’s all i’ve received. one thing that i think we can all agree on is that we need closure despite how we have been coping with this anticipation, or how comfortable we may have gotten with it (though tonight may not be so comforting haha).

i want to thank every one of you for your contributions to this board. i hope to look back one day at this thread and laugh at how we all ended up getting a DO, MD or whatever after our name. best of luck.

• Care
Reactions: 15 users
That is a nice comeback story! Nice job.
Thank you 🥺 Tech was still the only med school in Texas I heard from though! Literally all of my other interviews were out of state. I’ve lived here my whole life but it appears Texas doesn’t want me.

Do you think that I'd you didn't pre-match and get into FMAt, that it's safe to assume I didn't make the cut for FMAT?
I honestly have no idea, but I do know that they leave some seats open in the FMAT class because they accept applications for FMAT again during the fall of MS1 year! I wish you the best of luck tomorrow! :)

How did it go?!
i personally didn’t match, but congratulations to everyone who did, you guys will make great doctors!! i’m proud of your hard work and dedication.

• Care
any OOS hear back yet? Is it likely that we’ll even hear back today?

Didn’t match, Tech is dead to me (not really please let me in)

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
any OOS hear back yet? Is it likely that we’ll even hear back today?
We likely won't hear back until well later this month. At least that is what I am guessing. Last year, many OOS were WL in early March, but Match Day was pushed back significantly, so I think we will too. It takes time for schools to schools to reassess who didn't match and who to put on their WL. They also have to deal with the the Residency Match Day as @wysdoc pointed out.

We likely won't hear back until well later this month. At least that is what I am guessing. Last year, many OOS were WL in early March, but Match Day was pushed back significantly, so I think we will too. It takes time for schools to schools to reassess who didn't match and who to put on their WL. They also have to deal with the the Residency Match Day as @wysdoc pointed out.
but why? We’re competing for a whole set of different seats?

Didn’t match but congrats to everyone who did! Hopefully this isn’t the end

• Care
but why? We’re competing for a whole set of different seats?
I don't know why. All I know is that the majority of OOS movement on last year's thread was in early March to the WL. In early May, a lot of OOS WL got accepted.

I don't know why. All I know is that the majority of OOS movement on last year's thread was in early March to the WL. In early May, a lot of OOS WL got accepted.
Is that the same for all Texas schools or just Lubbock?

Is that the same for all Texas schools or just Lubbock?
To be honest, I have no idea. I just read the entire thread of Lubbock for last year and pretty meticulously tracked OOS mentions/commenters. I didn't interview at another TX school, so I didn't research them at all.

No Match. Can schools see how you ranked them ?

• Care
No Match. Can schools see how you ranked them ?
  • "Participating schools do not have access to the applicants’ school preference rankings.
  • Admission decisions at the participating schools are independent of the applicants’ school preference rankings because the schools have no knowledge of the applicants’ rankings."

Does anyone know how many people tech usually takes off the waitlist every year for IS?

Does anyone know how many people tech usually takes off the waitlist every year for IS?
I don't have an official number, but the MSAR advisor report says that they typically accept 20 people off the waitlist of 50 people. (Not everyone is automatically placed on the WL post-II.) That gives a post-WL acceptance rate of 40%. However, there were at least 6 OOS students who were accepted off the WL last year (at least they claimed it on SDN), so there were less than 14 IS accepted students from the WL. That would mean 14/50 or roughly 28% for post-WL, IS movement. If we assume that not everyone uses SDN, then it is likely that there are more than 6 OOS students accepted off the WL. If that number was 50%-100% higher, the IS movement could be as low as 11 or 8 seats only, which would give you a 16%-22% chance of getting off the WL once you're put on as an IS applicant.

These are obviously just estimated though and it will vary each year.

Reactions: 5 users
Didn’t match either. Praying for waitlist and some good movement. Hope you all are hanging in there with any bad news and congrats to those who matched!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Didn't match, live in West Texas. Still hopeful on getting wait listed and accepted. Will start working on my letter of intent. Congrats to everyone who got in. How stressful! Also working on contingency plans for a gap year. ERRGH!

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
  • "Participating schools do not have access to the applicants’ school preference rankings.
  • Admission decisions at the participating schools are independent of the applicants’ school preference rankings because the schools have no knowledge of the applicants’ rankings."
Thanks @SmellGud ! That's a relief.

• Care
I don't have an official number, but the MSAR advisor report says that they typically accept 20 people off the waitlist of 50 people. (Not everyone is automatically placed on the WL post-II.) That gives a post-WL acceptance rate of 40%. However, there were at least 6 OOS students who were accepted off the WL last year (at least they claimed it on SDN), so there were less than 14 IS accepted students from the WL. That would mean 14/50 or roughly 28% for post-WL, IS movement. If we assume that not everyone uses SDN, then it is likely that there are more than 6 OOS students accepted off the WL. If that number was 50%-100% higher, the IS movement could be as low as 11 or 8 seats only, which would give you a 16%-22% chance of getting off the WL once you're put on as an IS applicant.

These are obviously just estimated though and it will vary each year.

Thank you for this information. Do you know when we will know if we are on the waitlist? I did not match.

Didn't match. Already blew $70k+ in post bacc coursework in high level coursework (with ~A average) + solid ECs + ~509-511 MCAT. Nothing else I could do to improve my app. Process is entirely arbitrary. Probably will go into a different career as I'm nontrad. Felt the interviewer entirely dismissed my history from the moment the interview started and asked me why not become a nurse. Disrespectful.

My conclusion from the process is that unless you have or come from $$$, you're at a severe disadvantage. I only recommend this process if you come from an upper middle class or higher background.

Did you apply to DO schools?

Thank you for this information. Do you know when we will know if we are on the waitlist? I did not match.
I don't know about the waitlist. I know some OOS students were waitlisted in early March of last year, but Match Day was pushed back this year and I doubt we will hear back about a WL at the same time as last year.

Just matched!! Loved this school, but will be giving up my spot for a school closer to home, so I hope my spot goes to one of you lovely people :)

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
Just matched!! Loved this school, but will be giving up my spot for a school closer to home, so I hope my spot goes to one of you lovely people :)
I'm kinda confused. If you matched, you're an IS resident. Don't you have to go to whatever school you matched to? I know you can get exceptions but they have to go through the director of TMDSAS, right?

"In the unusual event that an accepted applicant requests to withdraw from the matched school and instead enroll in a lower ranked school from which they were withdrawn via the match, the following procedures must be followed:
  • As soon as the medical school is contacted, the applicant should be referred directly to the TMDSAS director.  The medical school(s) should not provide counsel/advice to the applicant or make any special arrangements.
  • The TMDSAS director will immediately contact the applicant to determine what they are seeking and why and to ask the applicant to provide a written statement detailing their request.
  • TMDSAS will mediate between the applicant and the medical schools to resolve the matter as quickly as possible.  To protect the integrity of the match, it will be up to the matched medical school to release the student before any offer of acceptance to a lower ranked school can be issued."

This is from last year's thread...

"I feel like a lot of y’all want a lot of information ASAP, but we should all know that’s not really how this process works lol. Anyway, to put your minds at rest (at least a little bit) I went through my emails from last year and found the waitlist emails sent to me. I got them over a week after match day (at the very earliest), so just know they won’t come immediately. Tech’s specifically bears no real info in the email itself, besides telling you you’re on the list. Here ya go."

Adjustments.jpg
"

From what I can see in last year's thread, Match Day was 02/03/2020 and the alternate/waitlist was sent out on 03/06/2020. That's a difference of 32 days. The year before that, Match Day was 02/01/2019, and the first WL were sent on 02/22/2019. That is a difference of 21 days. The year before that, Match Day was on 02/01/2018, and the first WL were sent on 02/23/2018. That is a difference of 22 days. Based on this data, I think we should expect to hear back around 3-5 weeks from now (roughly sometime between 03/26/2021 and 04/06/2021). All WL were sent on a Friday, so I'm guessing it will be 3/26/2021 or 04/02/2021.

Someone, please correct me if I am wrong or you get word from the admissions office of when we should expect to hear back.

Last edited by a moderator: