-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 UCLA (Geffen)
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
all the notifications popping up in the thread have me palms sweatin
Same :’)all the notifications popping up in the thread have me palms sweatin
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted1087877
welp see everyone next week! Maybe they’ll start giving out A’s with the Geffen
It’s too early to give up! They sometimes don’t come until after 4pmwelp see everyone next week! Maybe they’ll start giving out A’s with the Geffen
Looks like today is not the day. Every two weeks means next week might be the big day.
Anecdotally, I know 2 people who separately received As last week and the week prior. Closer to 5-6pm PST than 4pm.Looks like today is not the day. Every two weeks means next week might be the big day.
mitochondriapowercell
Full Member
When did they interview?Anecdotally, I know 2 people who separately received As last week and the week prior. Closer to 5-6pm PST than 4pm.
Lol don’t do that. don’t give us collective hope.Anecdotally, I know 2 people who separately received As last week and the week prior. Closer to 5-6pm PST than 4pm.
JanWhen did they interview?
mitochondriapowercell
Full Member
Is it just me or does it feel like way more January people have been accepted than earlier interviewees
It might be because earlier interviewees have been blocked to release at once as to not spook early people who haven't heard back for a while (seeing some others now are).Is it just me or does it feel like way more January people have been accepted than earlier interviewees
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
medstressed
Full Member
what dates in January did they interview?Anecdotally, I know 2 people who separately received As last week and the week prior. Closer to 5-6pm PST than 4pm.
ducks_are _the best
Full Member
emailed FA--- said scholarships will be given out next week during calls
D
deleted1076167
did they specify if this would be just for newly accepted students or include those who got accepted in December and January?emailed FA--- said scholarships will be given out next week during calls
ducks_are _the best
Full Member
I think everyone---they didnt specifydid they specify if this would be just for newly accepted students or include those who got accepted in December and January?
hopefulpremed14
Full Member
what do you mean blocked to release? like they already threw us early people out but just never told us lolIt might be because earlier interviewees have been blocked to release at once as to not spook early people who haven't heard back for a while (seeing some others now are).
D
deleted1076167
Emailed FA and they said all admitted students meaning those that are waiting for a decision and those who were already admitted are in the running for the Geffen. They also said decisions will be our “early this week”.
D
deleted1076167
Also I want to say the admissions committee and the scholarship committee are two completely different groups and both have long processes and decisions to make separately. So if you haven’t heard back yet it could be due to your application already being accepted and then moved to the scholarship committee for consideration!
Oh Lord, now the anxiety isn't going to start Wednesday night, it's going to be here the whole weekEmailed FA and they said all admitted students meaning those that are waiting for a decision and those who were already admitted are in the running for the Geffen. They also said decisions will be our “early this week”.
D
deleted1076167
Sorry Geffen scholarship offers not admission decision will be out early this week according to FAOh Lord, now the anxiety isn't going to start Wednesday night, it's going to be here the whole week
D
deleted1087877
Have they put anyone on the WL yet?
I'm a little confused on this. I know they released As with Geffen in February last year for some who interviewed early but haven't they already released As for a number of fall interviewees even if the scholarship committee hadn't decided yet? So why would they wait on some but not others to let them knowAlso I want to say the admissions committee and the scholarship committee are two completely different groups and both have long processes and decisions to make separately. So if you haven’t heard back yet it could be due to your application already being accepted and then moved to the scholarship committee for consideration!
D
deleted1076167
I’m also confused by this as my friend last year interviewed in August but didn’t hear back till February and got the Geffen. She believes it took so long to hear back because of the scholarship committee. This year seems to be completely different however, I know they had a 20% increase in applications so maybe that’s caused the delay. Either way I’m fairly certain A + scholarship offers will go out this week like my friend received last year.I'm a little confused on this. I know they released As with Geffen in February last year for some who interviewed early but haven't they already released As for a number of fall interviewees even if the scholarship committee hadn't decided yet? So why would they wait on some but not others to let them know
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I remember seeing a couple people report being put on the waitlist. I want to say in Dec/Jan?Have they put anyone on the WL yet?
mitochondriapowercell
Full Member
I don't remember there being WL yet, but there have been rejections
Traveller398
Full Member
I also think that no WL have been reported here this year. There was a wave of post-II rejections in early Jan and I believe 5-6 were reported here but no WL as far as I can remember.
D
deleted1087877
Makes me think that some of us who havent heard in a long time may be put in an internal WL? i remember someone also said that admissions might be only admitting top applicants from each date which also makes sense to me
CastIronKing
Full Member
If every accepted student is considered for the Geffen, wouldn't the scholarship committee need the final list of all accepted students to determine scholarships? If so, that makes me think this could be THE week for all decisionsSorry Geffen scholarship offers not admission decision will be out early this week according to FA
I guess this means Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday? Considering it's already 3:30pm PST- maybe tomorrow?!Emailed FA and they said all admitted students meaning those that are waiting for a decision and those who were already admitted are in the running for the Geffen. They also said decisions will be our “early this week”.
Haven't been on this chat for a while but isnt there the rule that by march 15, schools need to have accepted at least their class size? Maybe I'm just picking out random facts.
medstressed
Full Member
Has anyone heard anything yet tonight?
I believe that's just a recommendation for schools, not a hard requirementHaven't been on this chat for a while but isnt there the rule that by march 15, schools need to have accepted at least their class size? Maybe I'm just picking out random facts.
During my interview day they said that you can get accepted and receive the scholarship at the same time or even months after because those decisions are made by different committees. I also remember them saying not to worry about decision timeline because (talking about admissions) the applications are reviewed in “no specific order”. Not sure how that works but that statement specifically caught my attention.I apologize if this has been addressed, but is UCLA Geffen going to be notifying people of scholarship awards at the same time as their acceptance now? (That is, for people who interviewed but have not yet heard back regarding A/W/R).
studentloans4ever
Full Member
@someone! Idk when you interviewed, but I also heard that about the "no specific order" during mine (1/11)During my interview day they said that you can get accepted and receive the scholarship at the same time or even months after because those decisions are made by different committees. I also remember them saying not to worry about decision timeline because (talking about admissions) the applications are reviewed in “no specific order”. Not sure how that works but that statement specifically caught my attention.
Mine was a different day so they definitely repeated it. No idea what it means but it keeps my hopes up haha@someone! Idk when you interviewed, but I also heard that about the "no specific order" during mine (1/11)
Yes, you can send them updates anh time. Though they prefer if you upload this as soon as possible so it is available to the committee when they review your file.does anyone know if they accept update letters post interview?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh man 🙁 during my interview they told us not to send any updates so I have been sitting here since September without adding anything to my application. Do you guys think it's too late to send them my updates? I have had a few publications that I could write to them about.Yes, you can send them updates anh time. Though they prefer if you upload this as soon as possible so it is available to the committee when they review your file.
My approach recently has been 'what do you have to lose' - worst case they don't look at it!Oh man 🙁 during my interview they told us not to send any updates so I have been sitting here since September without adding anything to my application. Do you guys think it's too late to send them my updates? I have had a few publications that I could write to them about.
They told me to not send any when I checked a few months after interviewing because most likely a decision has already been made.
Anyone feeling they’re releasing Geffen today?
CastIronKing
Full Member
I've learned to not trust my 'feelings' about anything this application seasonAnyone feeling they’re releasing Geffen today?