2020-2021 University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Which cohort are you? I'm seattle. I waited less than two weeks, maybe a week and a half including the Thanksgiving holiday. But I know there aren't anymore interview dates between Dec 17 and something like Jan 18 so they probably won't send out those schedules for a while.
Ah. That makes sense. I am also Seattle and got the II 11/30.

Members don't see this ad.

OOR and have an interview next week. Any tips? Their interview page is great but also has a lot of content to review. Just wanting to make sure I focus on the right things :)
Hi! I had my interview last week and think it went fairly well. I would say review the uwmed bioethics page (https://depts.washington.edu/bhdept/ethics-medicine) it was super helpful in terms of the big topics that ethical situations fall under. I would also say review your primary and secondary as they can ask anything about that as well as your why medicine/why physician answers. Lastly, I would say be yourself! They are just trying to get to know you better 'in person' as they loved you enough on paper to want to interview you!

Best of luck and congrats on your II !!! :)

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
OOR II received! Secondary submitted early Nov.
would someone who’s already interviewed be willing to chat? :)

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For those of us that interviewed last week, when should we expect a response from UW?

UM Miller has laid out how they score applicants (how much each part of the overall app is worth... like how many points your MCAT, GPA, extracurriculars, secondary, personal statement, and interview impressions warrant) and they offer acceptances to those with the highest scores. Does UWSOM score applicants in this way?

For those of us that interviewed last week, when should we expect a response from UW?
i'm thinking by the end of this week since the email after the interview i got last week stated that we should hear something at the end of this week. pretty fast turnaround!

Just got an II. I am OOS (not part of WWAMI). Kind of confused by this Seattle and spokane cohort stuff. How do you guys know which cohort you are a part of?

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Just got an II. I am OOS (not part of WWAMI). Kind of confused by this Seattle and spokane cohort stuff. How do you guys know which cohort you are a part of?

You designated which site you’d like to interview for on your secondary. If you go to the applicant portal and click on the “Secondary” tab that info should be available to you.

Congrats!! If you are OOR (out of region) then you are assigned to Seattle. Spokane is only an option for WA residents.

Reactions: 2 users
You don't just apply to UW. You apply to one of their 6 locations and "compete" against the other applicants to that cohort for admission.

"All regional applicants are considered as a cohort, which means they are compared to other applicants from that particular pool (Montana applicants are compared to other Montana applicants, for example). Washington residents may interview as part of the Seattle or Spokane cohort, depending on their preferred site for the Foundations Phase. Washington applicants who prefer to spend their Foundations Phase in Spokane will also be considered as a cohort. These applicants will be compared to other Spokane interviewees rather than to the entire Washington applicant pool. Interview assignments will be made based on the applicant's preference in the secondary application." Admissions Interview | UW Medicine

"OOR applicants are only considered for the Seattle class. " Acceptance Statistics | UW Medicine

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Congrats!! If you are OOR (out of region) then you are assigned to Seattle. Spokane is only an option for WA residents.
Thank you! So should I disregard what others said about designating which location I chose in my secondary because I never was given the opportunity to choose a location? And so since I'm from California, I am automatically assigned to Seattle, correct?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! So should I disregard what others said about designating which location I chose in my secondary because I never was given the opportunity to choose a location? And so since I'm from California, I am automatically assigned to Seattle, correct?
That's correct. OOR applicants are automatically considered for the Seattle location :)

For those OOR that already heard back post interview, how long did it take them to get back to you all?

Hi everyone!!

I just want to say good luck to all that are applying/interviewing whether here at UW or elsewhere too! I am interviewing for the Spokane Cohort in late January and would love to chat to someone who has either interviewed there this year/last year or who is a student there :) I was provided with a few emails of current students to reach out to - which I will be doing soon but would love additional insight as well!

Please let me know if you're willing to chat :)

Thank you :)

For those who have already interviewed, how long did your interview last? I'm having a hard time locating how much time should be allocated/expected for the interview. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi everyone!!

I just want to say good luck to all that are applying/interviewing whether here at UW or elsewhere too! I am interviewing for the Spokane Cohort in late January and would love to chat to someone who has either interviewed there this year/last year or who is a student there :) I was provided with a few emails of current students to reach out to - which I will be doing soon but would love additional insight as well!

Hi there! I'm happy to answer some questions, feel free to PM me. I interviewed there this year.

Hi everyone!!

Feel free to PM me :)

anyone else feeling super anxious for tomorrow

• Care
anyone else feeling super anxious for tomorrow
+1 not sure if tomorrow is to early to hear back since I interviewed this week but still nervous 😳

• Haha
+1 not sure if tomorrow is to early to hear back since I interviewed this week but still nervous 😳

I feel you. Kind of guessing that those of us who interviewed this week might have a longer wait due to the holidays. Fingers crossed!!!

I feel you. Kind of guessing that those of us who interviewed this week might have a longer wait due to the holidays. Fingers crossed!!!
I know that was my worry, although I saw last month people who interviewed on 11/18 got the call on 11/24. So maybe next Tuesday for us?!

I know that was my worry, although I saw last month people who interviewed on 11/18 got the call on 11/24. So maybe next Tuesday for us?!

I'd definitely be okay with that!

Just interviewed here today... petty low stress and all interviewers were very friendly :)

Reactions: 7 users
Hi everyone!!

Feel free to PM as well. I'm a current MS2 so I can help in answering questions you have.

• Love
My EXCOM member called me 30 minutes ago!! I got accepted!!! I am so grateful and happy I can't even think straight! AhhH!!! Good luck to everyone during this cycle and if you have any questions feel free to PM me!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 17 users
My EXCOM member called me 30 minutes ago!! I got accepted!!! I am so grateful and happy I can't even think straight! AhhH!!! Good luck to everyone during this cycle and if you have any questions feel free to PM me!
Awesome, congratulations! 👏
When did you interview & at which site?

Accepted, Seattle campus. Interviewed 12/10, in state.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
Accepted, Interviewed 12/8, Seattle, OOR

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
Interviewed 12/7 for Seattle. I was told I’d hear back by the end of this week (the week of 12/18), but still haven’t received any news... I’ve been monitoring my email (including spam folder) and the UWSOM portal, but nothing...

Interviewed 12/7 for Seattle. I was told I’d hear back by the end of this week (the week of 12/18), but still haven’t received any news... I’ve been monitoring my email (including spam folder) and the UWSOM portal, but nothing...
I got accepted via phone call but did not get an email or any changes in the portal. They said that official status updates would go out early next week

I got accepted via phone call but did not get an email or any changes in the portal. They said that official status updates would go out early next week
So is it a bad sign that I didn’t receive a phone call?

11/17 Interview for Spokane Cohort, just got the Acceptance call! Hope to see some future classmates on the thread :)
After your 11/17 interview, were you given an expected timeline of when you'd hear back? Or did you receive a SUC email initially and then an acceptance phone call later on?