2020-2021 UT Medical Branch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know roughly how many pre-match offers UTMB sends out? (Or like a proportion of the class they fill through the pre-match?)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know roughly how many pre-match offers UTMB sends out? (Or like a proportion of the class they fill through the pre-match?)
It varies from year to year, but still the majority of students match on regular TMDSAS Match day. Don't be discouraged if you didn't prematch.

It varies from year to year, but still the majority of students match on regular TMDSAS Match day. Don't be discouraged if you didn't prematch.
Honestly, if you take a look at the number of people in the FB group, exclude the number of admin/current medical students and factor in the new prematches from the December interview cohort that will be added in the coming weeks, it looks like UTMB has prematched something close to its full class size (230)...

Maybe this school loses at least half its prematches to the match? No one knows lol...

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, if you take a look at the number of people in the FB group, exclude the number of admin/current medical students and factor in the new prematches from the December interview cohort that will be added in the coming weeks, it looks like UTMB has prematched something close to its full class size (230)...

Maybe this school loses at least half its prematches to the match? No one knows lol...
That's also true, I was just thinking about that. I mean, factoring in a good amount who may likely end up going somewhere else that also plays into it.. but ultimately it's all a mystery.

Reactions: 1 users

remember also Facebook groups include a bunch of upperclassmen and admins

Reactions: 4 users

I was wondering if it was possible that UTMB prematches over the size of their class and hopes for a 40-50% yield rate? Like in 2018 the data shows they accepted 455 students which was pretty similar to the number of students accepted by other Tx schools, but it doesn't make sense to me how their accepting so many people unless they prematch way over 230 because pretty much everything gets sorted out in match.

Reactions: 1 user
I was wondering if it was possible that UTMB prematches over the size of their class and hopes for a 40-50% yield rate? Like in 2018 the data shows they accepted 455 students which was pretty similar to the number of students accepted by other Tx schools, but it doesn't make sense to me how their accepting so many people unless they prematch way over 230 because pretty much everything gets sorted out in match.
The total number of offers you quote (455) would include prematch offers for those who end up attending and those who don’t, as well as offers made from the WL in the months after match. It is too simplistic to think that they make all those 455 offers in the prematch phase.

The total number of offers you quote (455) would include prematch offers for those who end up attending and those who don’t, as well as offers made from the WL in the months after match. It is too simplistic to think that they make all those 455 offers in the prematch phase.
Yea I understand that I just didn't understand how there could be so much movement during match. Like if they only prematched 230 then there'd have to be 200 people who drop UTMB and they'd accept 200 more through match to get those kind of numbers. MSAR shows only 10-15 people get off the waitlist, I have no idea either but the only thing that would make sense to me is if they prematch at least 300+. Thanks for the insight!

Yea I understand that I just didn't understand how there could be so much movement during match. Like if they only prematched 230 then there'd have to be 200 people who drop UTMB and they'd accept 200 more through match to get those kind of numbers. MSAR shows only 10-15 people get off the waitlist, I have no idea either but the only thing that would make sense to me is if they prematch at least 300+. Thanks for the insight!
I highly doubt it’s only ever 10-15 people who get off the waitlist (Even tho they say that). Dr. K (admissions dean @ Long) said their school has around 50 people or more taken off their waitlist every year (it averages around that), so I assume UTMB would also make similar offers more or less , but who really knows tbh it’s all a mystery as you said haha.

Reactions: 4 users
The 455 figure seems reasonable from multiple years of data I've seen for this school. I would guess that most mid-tier state schools need to accept something close to double the class size to guarantee it gets filled up. I've seen the prematch 300+ theory in a few places, but I'm confused as to how they could prematch that many and assume that they can lose over 40-50 percent of the seats through the match without overfilling the class, unless they prematch a reasonably high number of high stat applicants that hold prematch offers at higher-ranked schools....guess we will need to wait and see!

I highly doubt it’s only ever 10-15 people who get off the waitlist (Even tho they say that). Dr. K (admissions dean @ Long) said their school has around 50 people or more taken off their waitlist every year (it averages around that), so I assume UTMB would also make similar offers more or less , but who really knows tbh it’s all a mystery as you said haha.
I've seen the 10-15 figure reported by UTMB and the MSAR. I was under the assumption that they purposefully reported a conservative figure to avoid getting people's hopes up lol. But even then, 50 is a little bit on the higher end. Hard to say!

Im so close to losing it I cant wait until March LMFAO like good grief just tell me yes or no so i can retake the MCAT and reapply smh

• Care
Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question, do we have to setup our own school accounts (email and myStar)? Or is this initiated by the school admin?

Quick question, do we have to setup our own school accounts (email and myStar)? Or is this initiated by the school admin?
They’ll send you all the info. No one has received it yet and it should come by mid-end January

Im so close to losing it I cant wait until March LMFAO like good grief just tell me yes or no so i can retake the MCAT and reapply smh
Sameee I just want to know 😔
Sending virtual love to both of y'all, I'm in the same boat.. Trying to make mental peace with both outcomes by meditating and thinking of all the fun things I could do in my year off if I don't get accepted this cycle.

Reactions: 5 users
Sending virtual love to both of y'all, I'm in the same boat.. Trying to make mental peace with both outcomes by meditating and thinking of all the fun things I could do in my year off if I don't get accepted this cycle.

Change your profile pic btw

Should we have hope for another wave if we missed this one?

• Care
those waiting for prematch waves - it looks like waves go out on Fridays, and several last fall went out out Tuesdays as well. it's anyone's guess when those waves will stop before the match. others have reported that the last known interview date was 15Jan, so it's reasonable to speculate that there may be another wave next week and/or the week after.

those waiting for prematch waves - it looks like waves go out on Fridays, and several last fall went out out Tuesdays as well. it's anyone's guess when those waves will stop before the match. others have reported that the last known interview date was 15Jan, so it's reasonable to speculate that there may be another wave next week and/or the week after.
There is some evidence on these forums that suggests that UTMB isn't necessarily prematching people in order. Someone yesterday prematched with a November interview and people from last week's wave interviewed in December. I even saw someone get a prematch in December after a September interview, with some November interviewees included in that wave.

Do you think at this rate, September/October folks will need to wait till the match to have some shot of acceptance?

There is some evidence on these forums that suggests that UTMB isn't necessarily prematching people in order. Someone yesterday prematched with a November interview and people from last week's wave interviewed in December. I even saw someone get a prematch in December after a September interview, with some November interviewees included in that wave.

Do you think at this rate, September/October folks will need to wait till the match to have some shot of acceptance?

To clarify, it's not that UTMB doesn't match people in order but rather that they are much more open to revisiting applications from past dates to determine decisions. For example, other schools such as UTSW have it where there are only three-four main prematch waves and if you don't get in the wave with your respective interview dates, it's near impossible to prematch otherwise. On the other hand, UTMB continuously reviews so for example, I got a prematch a week after my interview, but I have a friend who took 3 months. Of course chances are that the longer it takes, the more times they probably reviewed and said "lets table it for later", so the odds probably do go down after some time. In about two weeks however, then yes September/October folk need to wait till match (and all other applicants too) for a shot.

People that sent update letters, did you email it or upload to the portal?

Does anyone think I should send in a letter of intent right now (the interview was in December) or wait until after Match Day?

Does anyone think I should send in a letter of intent right now (the interview was in December) or wait until after Match Day?
Do it now, remember that a letter of "intent" should only be sent to one school.
I'm not sure how much one comes into play at any Texas school, but if you do send one the time is before they decide on you.

Any advice on what to do after sending a Letter of intent? I sent one on Dec 23 to the assistant dean for admissions and haven't seen anything yet. I would normally assume he probably read it and added to my application but when I check AMP nothing is there :( My friend sent a letter of interest (not intent) and he uploaded it to her amp within 12 days. I double-checked the email and everything and it is correct, should I send it again to another admissions person or not worry about it?

Last edited:
Any advice on what to do after sending a Letter of intent? I sent one on Dec 23 to the assistant dean for admissions and haven't seen anything yet. I would normally assume he probably read it and added to my application but when I check AMP nothing is there :( My friend sent a letter of interest (not intent) and he uploaded it to her amp within 12 days. I double-checked the email and everything and it is correct, should I send it again to another admissions person or not worry about it?
Let it be. It will be office staff/assistants uploading stuff to your portal and they are likely to do this in intermittent batches.

Let it be. It will be office staff/assistants uploading stuff to your portal and they are likely to do this in intermittent batches.
I think we can upload it to the portal directly? Are we advised to email it then rather than upload it?

do any of you think those of us who interviewed in January (my date was 01/08) have a chance of being pre-matched before pre-match offers stop or do you think its unlikely since we are cutting it pretty close to the cut off date?

also congrats to everyone who has pre-matched thus far!

Finally got the physical acceptance letter in the mail todayy

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 17 users
Anyone accepted over one month ago and still waiting for their mail? :(

Does anyone know if there is a specific Biology Lab that they want when the requirements say 2 credit hours of formal Biology lab? Does that only include Intro to Biol Labs?

What attire did y'all where to the in person preview day? I know it says casual + college spirit in the email, but still not entirely sure what to wear. Would a slacks, dress shoes, and a college polo work? Did anyone wear a blazer?

What attire did y'all where to the in person preview day? I know it says casual + college spirit in the email, but still not entirely sure what to wear. Would a slacks, dress shoes, and a college polo work? Did anyone wear a blazer?
on the day I went everyone worse chill stuff. Jeans, shirts, jackets. I didn’t see anyone dress business casual or like formal. I personally wore jeans & my schools spirit shirt

on the day I went everyone worse chill stuff. Jeans, shirts, jackets. I didn’t see anyone dress business casual or like formal. I personally wore jeans & my schools spirit shirt
Alright, sweet! Definitely going to be dressing more casual, thanks!