2020-2021 UT Southwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For people in the last wave of II, was your earliest interview date in October? want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does the high stat auto-interview apply to people who are OOS or is it on TX residents?
In State. Most OOS interviewees may have better stats than that since they are very selective in terms of limited slots they have available for OOS (only 20+ can be admitted).

Reactions: 1 user
Are you saying that the auto-invite is only for instate? I think wysdoc said anybody. Or are you saying it is just a higher cut off?

Do you have any idea what their OOS stats are like? I see on their website for incoming class its 3.89/517. My GPA is lower than that, but my MCAT is higher.
@wysdoc and I are not necessarily saying different things.

There are close 190 seats for in state with some seats allocated for JAMP (I am not sure there are any other combined programs left).

For these seats they interview several hundred people, starting with auto invites with a certain GPA/MCAT followed by more interviewees in group II (review of the full application). They keep calling people until the interview slots are over and so if someone falls in group 1 they have almost a guaranteed interview while in group 2 it is until the slots last.

For OOS, it works a bit differently. UTSW has a top tier reputation and many great applicants from OOS might apply (you have to assume there is a much larger group of OOS applicants who can meet group 1 threshold requirements - Texas only has 10% of national population). So if 500 people apply from OOS who meet or beat 3.89/517 or some combination of the two that adds up to a higher LizzyM number, they are still competing for 100+interview slots and 23 spots. So this is my reasoning to suggest OOS has different or probably higher criteria. Once interviewed, they can only admit 23 and need people to drop off to offer the seat to any one else even if they find 90% of students qualified from OOS pool.

wow congratulations!! i am so relieved to see stats almost exactly the same as mine - what hope you have given me :')

Thanks! I honestly didn't expect it because of my stats and the fact that my secondary essays kinda sucked, but I guess you never know!

Howdy II received!! 1st of my life!! Completed on 7/12. TX Res. URM. Non-trad(ish). Definitely low stats for this school. DM me if ya wanna know anything else :)

Reactions: 1 users
Any OOS applicants with good gpa/mcat not getting an II? Saw someone with the same stats as me also OOS get a group one II from the interview tracker.

Any OOS applicants with good gpa/mcat not getting an II? Saw someone with the same stats as me also OOS get a group one II from the interview tracker.
Remember interviews will be going on from now until January. If you have great credentials you have a chance, and there will be many more interview invitations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you get to know if you received an auto II or a full-screen II, or are people just speculating based on stats?
Usually the autos receive an interview invite within a few weeks. The initial rounds are filled by auto II. So if someone applied in May but received a II now, it might be a full screen.

If someone applied beginning of the month and received a II, it is an auto since this is the 4th month of application and there are 3 months of candidates to review.

Reactions: 2 users
OOS II this morning!!
LM 74 complete 8/17

II! First one of my cycle! In state/URM/LM 67. Secondary submitted mid August.

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone have an idea as to how their interview selection process works? I'm seeing people submitting in August getting interviews and I submitted back in early July... :(

Does anyone have an idea as to how their interview selection process works? I'm seeing people submitting in August getting interviews and I submitted back in early July... :(
Group 1 gets called based on GPA/MCAT scores. I suspect there are some institutional preferences for URMs who get called quickly in addition to group 1.

Does the interview date we choose matter? Is earlier always better for example?
If you have been called for an interview, choosing the earliest date is always better if you dont have a conflict since you expect to be called for other interviews.

Group 1 gets called based on GPA/MCAT scores. I suspect there are some institutional preferences for URMs who get called quickly in addition to group 1.
Thanks for the response, I am just really worried because they've sent out a lot of interviews and their dates are getting filled up really quickly :(

Thanks for the response, I am just really worried because they've sent out a lot of interviews and their dates are getting filled up really quickly :(
What are the current dates?

The only interview date for which there may not be result before the match date is in January (based on last year). Everyone interviewed before January usually has a shot at being admitted before match. Many are admitted during or after match.

Nov and Dec 1st week.
It looks like dates have been changed for this year that I have not taken into consideration. There used to be one week in January but now there is a whole month and match has been pushed to Mid February.

December
  • Interviews Continue
    Application review and interviews continue
January
  • Interview Season Ends
    Interview season ends in late January
  • Late January
    Pre-match offer period ends
February
  • Mid February
    Deadline to rank schools of preference in TMDSAS admissions match

II just now! Complete 8/31 (so I'm assuming auto-invite). LM77

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
are you instate? you should have made it.
Yes; I have also received an ii from UTMB, so I don't think I have any red flags or problems with CASPER (at least I hope not). If it helps, my MCAT was a retake (07/23/2020)

Yes; I have also received an ii from UTMB, so I don't think I have any red flags or problems with CASPER (at least I hope not). If it helps, my MCAT was a retake (07/23/2020)
Did you receive the score on that date or did you take on that date? Not always sure how they treat retakes.

• Wow
Did you receive the score on that date or did you take on that date? Not always sure how they treat retakes.
That was the date of my retake. My score was released on 08/06/2020, and TMDSAS marked it as received on 08/08/2020. I completed the UTSW secondary on 07/31/2020, so I may have been marked complete then due to my previous MCAT.

That was the date of my retake. My score was released on 08/06/2020, and TMDSAS marked it as received on 08/08/2020. I completed the UTSW secondary on 07/31/2020, so I may have been marked complete then due to my previous MCAT.
If you are wiling to reveal, what was your previous score?

If it is below 515, I suspect you have not gotten credit for your new score yet.

519 and within that range GPA. Submitted 8/2x. No II yet so it doesn't look like I'm in group 1.
If you submitted only in the last two weeks, it may not have been triggered yet (your numbers are definitely in the ball park at 75 or 76 for instate). They also issue so many together at a time when they open up a date or two.

If you submitted only in the last two weeks, it may not have been triggered yet (your numbers are definitely in the ball park at 75 or 76 for instate). They also issue so many together at a time when they open up a date or two.
I was complete middle of July but my casper transmitted middle of August.

Last edited:
I think it may be higher - I have a 3.9, 517, and didn't get an auto-invite.

I'm 3.6x 524 IS (where 0 < x < 5). I am unsure if I was an auto II or not (but leaning towards yes because my application wasn't even complete by the time they sent me my II b/c my committee letter wasn't in). Secondary complete 7/2, II received 8/10, App complete 8/14. I have a feeling that they might be going off of some LizzyM type metric cutoff.

I have a feeling that they might be going off of some LizzyM type metric cutoff.

I think this too. I have 3.8x (lower end) and 522 IS. Alternatively, there may be an MCAT cut-off at 518 :confused: (someone posted earlier about receiving an auto-invite w 518).

I'm 3.6x 524 IS (where 0 < x < 5). I am unsure if I was an auto II or not (but leaning towards yes because my application wasn't even complete by the time they sent me my II b/c my committee letter wasn't in). Secondary complete 7/2, II received 8/10, App complete 8/14. I have a feeling that they might be going off of some LizzyM type metric cutoff.
Did you attend a top 20 school?

I hope your right. I don't exactly know how their system works but ofmiceandwomen submitted 8/31 and already has II. Maybe there is some issue that needs to be manually signed off on or something.

I hope your right. I don't exactly know how their system works but ofmiceandwomen submitted 8/31 and already has II. Maybe there is some issue that needs to be manually signed off on or something.
It depends on what each of you are considering complete. The way group 1 is defined, they are not waiting on everything to be complete only that your application is in (they dont even need recommendations).

I am reading @ofmiceandwomen's posts and it sounds like they were given a Fulbright. It is something which get an interview at most medical schools.

It depends on what each of you are considering complete. The way group 1 is defined, they are not waiting on everything to be complete only that your application is in (they dont even need recommendations).

I am reading @ofmiceandwomen's posts and it sounds like they were given a Fulbright. It is something which get an interview at most medical schools.
Ah, that's two things I didn't consider. Their algorithm must be a bit more complicated than just LizzyM. We already know they take into account URM status, so it wouldn't surprise me if other factors like Fullbright are taken into consideration as well.

For me, TMDSAS transmitted on 8/21 (including all LOR) and the secondary was sent shortly thereafter. I'll give it another week before I lose hope.

Thanks for the reassurance.

Just to make sure, do yall have this at the top in your secondary portal?
Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 12.28.47 PM.png