2021-2022 Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
+1. Interviewed on 10/11. I’m so exc

Just got of the phone with Dr. Chan! Accepted to Class of 2026! Super excited!
We might be future classmates, congrats!!! I got the A this Saturday as well. Still can't believe it.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
I got the call on Saturday ya'll!! I'm gonna be a doctor!!! Good luck to everyone who has interviewed or is interviewing soon. For reference, I interviewed 10/04 and received the call almost exactly a month from my interview. I'm IS and URM, huge upward trend, and average MCAT.
Congrats! LM just for reference?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! LM just for reference?
Thanks! LM 64. I did have a good app tho, great LORs, activities, and personal statement. This just goes to show LM score isn't a great determinant. For everyone out there, don't get discouraged. Med schools care more about who you are and as cliche as it sounds, your story.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Current MS1 here happy to answer any questions anyone may have!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Current MS1 here happy to answer any questions anyone may have!
Hey there! UUSOM is my top choice, and I just landed an on-campus Research Technician job for UUSOM. Personal story is strong with a MCAT 511, sGPA 3.63, and cGPA 3.73, but I've not heard a peep from admissions.

Do you think it's too late in the cycle to hope for an interview?

I didn't have many community service hours to speak of, as I had to work 2-3 jobs to support myself during college. Not sure if admissions views things holistically.

Hey there! UUSOM is my top choice, and I just landed an on-campus Research Technician job for UUSOM. Personal story is strong with a MCAT 511, sGPA 3.63, and cGPA 3.73, but I've not heard a peep from admissions.

Do you think it's too late in the cycle to hope for an interview?

I didn't have many community service hours to speak of, as I had to work 2-3 jobs to support myself during college. Not sure if admissions views things holistically.
Hi! Congrats on the new research position. Sounds like it will be a great experience.

The waiting game sucks. When did you submit your application/complete your secondary? Is this your first year applying?

UUSOM usually interviews into February. If people on this thread are still receiving interview invites, ask what available dates they have to choose from and that should give you a good idea about timeline.

They do use a holistic approach, yes. Everyone has a unique situation.

• Care
Hi! Congrats on the new research position. Sounds like it will be a great experience.

The waiting game sucks. When did you submit your application/complete your secondary? Is this your first year applying?

UUSOM usually interviews into February. If people on this thread are still receiving interview invites, ask what available dates they have to choose from and that should give you a good idea about timeline.

They do use a holistic approach, yes. Everyone has a unique situation.
You're a kind, kind soul. Much appreciated! It's fantastic experience. I plan to submit an updated CV/resume through the school's portal, noting this experience.

This is my first year applying; I applied early-July, being verified mid-August. Secondary received on 08/17/2021, completed on 08/27/2021. The waiting game does suck; worse, I've heard we should "give up" in November, come Thanksgiving without news. Great to hear that doesn't strictly apply to UUSOM.

The holistic approach is great to hear of! Thank you for taking time from your busy schedule to answer. :) What do you like most about UUSOM so far?

You're a kind, kind soul. Much appreciated! It's fantastic experience. I plan to submit an updated CV/resume through the school's portal, noting this experience.

This is my first year applying; I applied early-July, being verified mid-August. Secondary received on 08/17/2021, completed on 08/27/2021. The waiting game does suck; worse, I've heard we should "give up" in November, come Thanksgiving without news. Great to hear that doesn't strictly apply to UUSOM.

The holistic approach is great to hear of! Thank you for taking time from your busy schedule to answer. :) What do you like most about UUSOM so far?
FYI the U does not accept updates

FYI the U does not accept updates
Thanks for this addition! You're right, they don't accept updates. However, under their secondary's "Additional Documents" tab, they do allow you to upload your CV/Resume. I think that's as close to an update as can be achieved.

It couldn't hurt to pursue clinical volunteering/community service opportunities during your gap year just in case you need to reapply. If you find something you enjoy doing too, it could be a great use of time for a few hours/week.

Yeah, no problem! I appreciated when people did it while I was applying - so any way I can give back.

Sounds like you submitted everything early which is good. The admissions process can be kind of hit/miss sometimes. I’m sure there’s a lot of great candidates that end up not getting interview invites, etc.

I do know that the U really likes re-applicants and I was a re-applicant. I’m not sure what sort of work experiences you had - were they clinical?

I think it’s great that you are still doing things to contribute to your application. If you do have time now for some volunteer work, as mentioned below it would be a nice addition to your app if you end up having to apply again (which may not be the case). But it’s hard to give specific advice like that without seeing the whole picture.

I love the U! I went to the U for undergrad too. The professors are great, and there’s so many great resources available for students. I’ve heard that finding a mentor physician can be very helpful for medical students early on, and the U does a great job of providing ample opportunities for you to find one and even has an entire website for students to get connected with physicians. There’s SO many hospitals close by and always opportunities for shadowing and research. The atmosphere is collaborative and professors/faculty are always asking for feedback and they actually listen to what the students are saying and make modifications.

Members don't see this ad :)
II this afternoon. OOS. Shook.

Reactions: 1 users
II this afternoon. OOS. Shook.
Ahh that's amazing! Do you mind sharing LM and ~complete date? I would love to go to the U - I've got a huge community in salt lake, as my partner lived there for many years. I don't have residency myself, though:( Fingers crossed, stoked to hear you got an invite!

Anyone have any advice for Kira Interview prep??
Just do the practice questions that are available before you record your actual interview and you'll be okay! Something I did too was just look up common scenarios online for KIRA related questions. Good luck!

would it hurt to submit a letter of interest/update?

Just got the call from Dr. Chan! So excited! I interviewed 10/25

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know if they have started rejecting or waitlisting people from ID After IIs?

Does anyone know if they have started rejecting or waitlisting people from ID After IIs?
I am pretty sure that if you don't hear a yes within the first month or so, that you are let known in March if you have been rejected or waitlisted, that includes Idaho students I believe.

Reactions: 1 users
I am pretty sure that if you don't hear a yes within the first month or so, that you are let known in March if you have been rejected or waitlisted, that includes Idaho students I believe.
They accept people all throughout the cycle though, and in March. I think they take their favorites earlier on in the cycle.

It doesn’t really seem like they accept that many people in March who had earlier interviews

For anyone who has gotten an II in the last couple weeks, what were the available interview dates? Are they still in December or are they already scheduling into January/February?

EDP interviewed 9/20, wasn’t accepted early, haven’t heard anything since 10/1.. anyone else?

Also has anyone been waitlisted or rejected yet?

EDP interviewed 9/20, wasn’t accepted early, haven’t heard anything since 10/1.. anyone else?

Also has anyone been waitlisted or rejected yet?
I don't think the U waitlists or rejects anyone until March 15th, you might have to wait a while...

Lol how bad does my application have to be to not get an interview from the school I graduated from?

Why do you say that
I just always hear that they accept the majority in March but just looking at past threads it seems way more like the minority is accepted later. Idk if there are stats on that but I’ve never actually seen that be the truth. Plus we know if we aren’t accepted quick after the interview we don’t stand out a ton. Idk tho who knows

Do you have a good bit of research and service and above a 500 on MCAT?
518 mcat with over 600 hours of clinical volunteering and 2000+ hours of clinical work. Have only around 250 hours of research though.