2020-2021 Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If any current students are lurking..

1. Can you expound a bit on the preclinical curriculum? What is the typical weekly schedule like? What is the division between PBL & lecture? How many mandatory sessions / hours are there per week?

2. Any thoughts on the facilities for the school (preclinical) or affiliated hospitals?

3. How is this area of Detroit? What are some misconceptions about it? What are some of the negative aspects about it? Is it possible to live outside the city easily?

4. What is research like there? More clinical or basic emphasized? Competitive?

UGH My credit card got declined, is this just me or is it the website?

Members don't see this ad :)
"During the stress of the pandemic, what was the one thing you learned about yourself? How has that affected your outlook on the role of medicine?"

Does anyone else feel like these two questions don't connect? Like they're asking how a personal trait has affected my outlook on the role of medicine? I'm just a little confused on what they're trying to get at here. Would really appreciate some input.

Lol, my honest response that fits the theme perfectly is that I'm pessimistic about the future of humanity given that the public doesn't trust the medical community.

Reactions: 4 users
Does this secondary allow for an optional text box for IAs or allow for updates after submission? To make a long story short, I have pre-written all my secondaries but still waiting for my primary to be reviewed (hopefully in a few more days!), but when I submitted my primary I indicated I had no IAs because what I thought were not violations actually were. After talking to a few admissions departments I have learned my best bet is to 1)email the admissions office and dean of admissions, 2) explain in the optional text box why I did not report it on my primary, and 3)update my application with the details if allowed.

Therefore, does this secondary have an optional text box or allow for resubmission where I would have the opportunity to explain this situation?

looks like the application tracker (via WSU's admissions website) has been updated for this cycle :cyclops:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 11.13.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 11.13.36 AM.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 357
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely not one on mine, I just checked. You gave me a mini heart attack tho as I am a reapplicant haha. This is my first time applying to Wayne State tho, so maybe that's it.

Definitely not one on mine, I just checked. You gave me a mini heart attack tho as I am a reapplicant haha. This is my first time applying to Wayne State tho, so maybe that's it.

Yea that might be it. I applied to Wayne last time and on the left panel under Application, there is a category "Repplicant" (under Questions). I guess AMCAS let them know this isn't my first time talking the school and they set it up that way for me?

Reactions: 1 user
Yea that might be it. I applied to Wayne last time and on the left panel under Application, there is a category "Repplicant" (under Questions). I guess AMCAS let them know this isn't my first time talking the school and they set it up that way for me?

Word count? Is is suspicious I haven’t gotten my secondary yet...

Lol, my honest response that fits the theme perfectly is that I'm pessimistic about the future of humanity given that the public doesn't trust the medical community.
I put that I'm optimistic and hopeful for the healthcare system. Hopefully they like both angles lol.

Has anyone confirmed which questions are the correct secondary questions for this year? Trying to pre-write!

Has anyone confirmed which questions are the correct secondary questions for this year? Trying to pre-write!

yes

During the stress of the pandemic, what was the one thing you learned about yourself? How has that affected your outlook on the role of medicine?

Are empathy and sympathy the same? Please discuss their importance in the practice of medicine.

Describe what specific opportunities/resources are offered at Wayne State University School of Medicine that you plan to utilize as a medical student, and why?

each 1000 characters

I put that I'm optimistic and hopeful for the healthcare system. Hopefully they like both angles lol.
also struggling to answer this question in a coherent manner...other two were enjoyable to write this one is blah

Reactions: 1 users
The Wayne website is a little confusing... can someone clarify for me if Fabric of Society, Humanistic Medicine, and WayneSOM LEAD programs are still being offered? Or did these programs end with the class of 2021?

Reactions: 2 users
The Wayne website is a little confusing... can someone clarify for me if Fabric of Society, Humanistic Medicine, and WayneSOM LEAD programs are still being offered? Or did these programs end with the class of 2021?

following bc was wondering the same thing. I'm leaning more towards the idea that the programs are ending with 2021 tho :/

"During the stress of the pandemic, what was the one thing you learned about yourself? How has that affected your outlook on the role of medicine?"

Does anyone else feel like these two questions don't connect? Like they're asking how a personal trait has affected my outlook on the role of medicine? I'm just a little confused on what they're trying to get at here. Would really appreciate some input.

Agreed! I showed my sister this question (she's an English major), and she also agreed that this question makes no sense. If the pandemic helped me realize that I am a resilient person, why would that affect my outlook on the role of medicine? I'm about to straight-up say that it didn't change my outlook on the role of medicine lol

If anyone has any other perspective on how to approach this question, I would truly appreciate your input.

Last edited:
Agreed! I showed my sister this question (she's an English major), and she also agreed that this question makes no sense. If the pandemic helped me realize that I am a resilient person, why would that affect my outlook on the role of medicine? I'm about to straight-up say that it didn't change my outlook on the role of medicine lol

If anyone has any other perspective on how to approach this question, I would truly appreciate your input.
I'm glad I'm not the only one struggling with this one! It's holding me up from turning in this secondary.

I agree as well. I spoke about how I learned I work best on a schedule and now I have no idea how to talk about me implementing a schedule in my life has affected my outlook on medicine. I wonder if it would be bad to say it didn't change my outlook and then talk about how what you learned will translate into your medical career? Or if that's going off topic?

The email said to turn the secondary in 2 weeks so that'll be Thursday for me, so hopefully, I figure out something to say by then lol

Reactions: 1 users
Does this secondary allow for an optional text box for IAs or allow for updates after submission? To make a long story short, I have pre-written all my secondaries but still waiting for my primary to be reviewed (hopefully in a few more days!), but when I submitted my primary I indicated I had no IAs because what I thought were not violations actually were. After talking to a few admissions departments I have learned my best bet is to 1)email the admissions office and dean of admissions, 2) explain in the optional text box why I did not report it on my primary, and 3)update my application with the details if allowed.

Therefore, does this secondary have an optional text box or allow for resubmission where I would have the opportunity to explain this situation?
Hey I had this same problem when applying last cycle. I sent emails explaining the situation and documents of the IA to all my schools a month aft
Gotta be secondaries. MSAR says they get over 9,000 applications per year. OVER 9000!
It counts primary applications, it's just slow and unreliable in how it's updated. The one for the previous cycle topped out around 10k or so.

Anyone know when interviews invites start rolling out

Ultimately, this cycle is strange and we don't really know. But for
2019-2020: 7/5 for secondary release, 8/9 for interview
2020-2021: 7/13 for the first secondary, so potentially mid August for interview if they're following the same plan? They have an info session coming up so will likely ask then

Ultimately, this cycle is strange and we don't really know. But for
2019-2020: 7/5 for secondary release, 8/9 for interview
2020-2021: 7/13 for the first secondary, so potentially mid August for interview if they're following the same plan? They have an info session coming up so will likely ask then
Do you have the link for the info session coming up? What day/time?

If I have yet to take my MCAT (scheduled for 8/14) but I have my primary verified and LORs in, should I submit the primary to Wayne State or wait until I get my score back? =/

If I have yet to take my MCAT (scheduled for 8/14) but I have my primary verified and LORs in, should I submit the primary to Wayne State or wait until I get my score back? =/
They won’t review your secondary until your MCAT score come back so you could go ahead and submit or just wait until your score comes back

If any current students are lurking..

1. Can you expound a bit on the preclinical curriculum? What is the typical weekly schedule like? What is the division between PBL & lecture? How many mandatory sessions / hours are there per week?

2. Any thoughts on the facilities for the school (preclinical) or affiliated hospitals?

3. How is this area of Detroit? What are some misconceptions about it? What are some of the negative aspects about it? Is it possible to live outside the city easily?

4. What is research like there? More clinical or basic emphasized? Competitive?

Greetings! Current M2 at WSUSOM and I'm happy to help :)

1) Preclinical is very lecture-driven, where you have maybe about 3-4 lectures a day depending on the unit. Unfortunately, each week is pretty variable as some weeks you may have gross anatomy lab, histology lab, clinical skills, or a group based learning activity, so it's important to keep an eye on the calendar. You may have 1 PBL a unit, but gross anatomy, histology, and clinical skills are all done in a small group together. M1 has more mandatory sessions than M2 does, especially because of all the labs. I was on campus probably 4 days a week for at least an hour each time (and I commute 60 minutes, so yikes).

2) WSU is pretty good when it comes to pre-clinical facilities to work in. Detroit Receiving loves having students over to shadow or work in the ER, we have like 15 student run free clinics that you can volunteer at which is nice. Particular shout-out to St. John's/Ascension as I was born there so represent

3) Midtown Detroit is ok, but as a women I do not feel safe anywhere in Detroit except on campus or the hospitals. Rent is hella expensive, so I would suggest living in Grosse Point if you can as rent tends to be cheaper. You will need a car regardless of whether or not you live close to campus as some requirements are off campus, so if you invest in a car, I would suggest living in the suburbs. Yet, rent is very expensive even in the suburbs, so choose wisely

4) I'm working in a radiology research lab right now that scans MS patients for brain lesions, so that's cool. Your academic counselor has a huge Xcell sheet of doctors doing research in the hospitals (split up by specialty, if you have one in mind) and you just cold call them until someone answers. Research is not competitive unless you are looking for Derm, then it's hella competitive. There's also a research elective you can take during your first and second years that pairs you up with someone doing research and you work on your own project together if you're interested, but I think the MPAC (political action elective) is the best :p

LMK if you have any more questions

Reactions: 3 users
Greetings! Current M2 at WSUSOM and I'm happy to help :)

1) Preclinical is very lecture-driven, where you have maybe about 3-4 lectures a day depending on the unit. Unfortunately, each week is pretty variable as some weeks you may have gross anatomy lab, histology lab, clinical skills, or a group based learning activity, so it's important to keep an eye on the calendar. You may have 1 PBL a unit, but gross anatomy, histology, and clinical skills are all done in a small group together. M1 has more mandatory sessions than M2 does, especially because of all the labs. I was on campus probably 4 days a week for at least an hour each time (and I commute 60 minutes, so yikes).

2) WSU is pretty good when it comes to pre-clinical facilities to work in. Detroit Receiving loves having students over to shadow or work in the ER, we have like 15 student run free clinics that you can volunteer at which is nice. Particular shout-out to St. John's/Ascension as I was born there so represent

3) Midtown Detroit is ok, but as a women I do not feel safe anywhere in Detroit except on campus or the hospitals. Rent is hella expensive, so I would suggest living in Grosse Point if you can as rent tends to be cheaper. You will need a car regardless of whether or not you live close to campus as some requirements are off campus, so if you invest in a car, I would suggest living in the suburbs. Yet, rent is very expensive even in the suburbs, so choose wisely

4) I'm working in a radiology research lab right now that scans MS patients for brain lesions, so that's cool. Your academic counselor has a huge Xcell sheet of doctors doing research in the hospitals (split up by specialty, if you have one in mind) and you just cold call them until someone answers. Research is not competitive unless you are looking for Derm, then it's hella competitive. There's also a research elective you can take during your first and second years that pairs you up with someone doing research and you work on your own project together if you're interested, but I think the MPAC (political action elective) is the best :p

LMK if you have any more questions
Follow up for number 3!

Would you recommend living on campus? I saw there are some graduate dorms. Do medical students do that? My dad grew up in Detroit and also has concerns about me living in the city.

ALSO, I was born at St Johns too! What a coincidence

Follow up for number 3!

Would you recommend living on campus? I saw there are some graduate dorms. Do medical students do that? My dad grew up in Detroit and also has concerns about me living in the city.

ALSO, I was born at St Johns too! What a coincidence
There are many options for you to live "on campus" (air quotes because WSUSOM campus is separate from WSU main campus). University Towers is a popular on campus housing option for med students that comes with parking and is only a 5 minute walk to Scott Hall (the main building of SOM). If your pops is concerned, my personal feeling is that I would feel safe walking from U Towers to campus (or its attached 3rd party apartment complex, Studio One Apartments), but that's probably about it. The parking will help you later in M2 when you need to drive to your continuity clinic each week.

Just want to note that I am a woman who is very not intimidating and I have lived in Detroit (Midtown) and felt safe walking around most of the time. I personally was not out after dark much at all, but many days I would walk from Midtown (WSU campus) to Downtown and back without any problem. Your comfort will probably depend a lot on your background -- people from big cities won't likely be fazed, but my friends from more rural and suburban areas expressed feeling more uneasy. Neither is "right."

Downtown and Midtown are also rapidly gentrifying. While I hate that fact and what it means for Detroiters, it also means that property companies and other community stakeholders have a vested interest in making these areas as safe and appealing as possible for potential new gentrifiers/residents. This has all picked up recently, so today's Detroit looks quite different from even several years ago.

Just wanted to add another perspective so no one feels scared off. Take it with a grain of salt!

Edit: I agree that the areas around many of the hospitals are not very safe. I'm just speaking to living in Midtown/Downtown.

Reactions: 5 users
Reapplicant. I emailed admissions inquiring about the secondary application and they informed me that it was sent to my email on July 13th. However, I cannot find this in my inbox or spam. I've requested a new secondary be sent and am wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

Reapplicant. I emailed admissions inquiring about the secondary application and they informed me that it was sent to my email on July 13th. However, I cannot find this in my inbox or spam. I've requested a new secondary be sent and am wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

I am a reapplicant and I was able to get their secondary. HOWEVER, when I tried to create my portal, I could never get the link to reset my password or any of that. I also later found out other schools had sent me secondaries and I never received them, neither in my spam folder. I ended up having to change my email on AMCAS and so far, looks like no problems.

Has anyone received an II here yet? on MSAR it says they'll start sending II in July 2020 with interviews beginning in August

I am a reapplicant and my secondary application from wayne state got sent to an email address that I used in a previous cycle. Last cycle I used my school-associated email to apply, and this year I used a personal one. For some reason Wayne's was the only application that still got sent to my school-associated email. Thought I'd mention this in case the same could've happened to you!

I am a reapplicant and my secondary application from wayne state got sent to an email address that I used in a previous cycle. Last cycle I used my school-associated email to apply, and this year I used a personal one. For some reason Wayne's was the only application that still got sent to my school-associated email. Thought I'd mention this in case the same could've happened to you!
Same. I used my school email last year but no longer have access to the account. I will email back and inquire! Thank you!!

Has anyone received an II here yet? on MSAR it says they'll start sending II in July 2020 with interviews beginning in August
I just went to their website and it looks like they are an application tracker that shows how many interviews have been requested. Looks like none right now, but I think they are using VITA before they send out actual II. Here is the link https://www.med.wayne.edu/admissions

I just went to their website and it looks like they are an application tracker that shows how many interviews have been requested. Looks like none right now, but I think they are using VITA before they send out actual II. Here is the link https://www.med.wayne.edu/admissions
Wow its crazy that they show the number of applications submitted and interviews sent. Obviously its still really early, but they have like 1/3 the number of applicants they had last year according to msar. Do you know if they update this regularly?

ya verified on 7/25 but no ties to michigan

I got a secondary, was verified earlier than that date and I'm OOS with no ties to michigan. It was likewise my understanding that they send it to everyone so maybe you'll be in the next batch since 7/25 wasn't TOO long ago. Not to mention, they now have to start looking over more than just the primary. Might be a little slower

Wow its crazy that they show the number of applications submitted and interviews sent. Obviously its still really early, but they have like 1/3 the number of applicants they had last year according to msar. Do you know if they update this regularly?
I only saw they were showing the number of applicants the other day, but it looks like the number of applicants has increased since I last looked.

Anyone who applied EDP want to make a groupchat of some sort? DM if you are down!!

Did the secondary question confusion ever get sorted out? Is it definitely the empathy/sympathy prompt?

Did the secondary question confusion ever get sorted out? Is it definitely the empathy/sympathy prompt?
yes it did. it is definitely that question. I originally had last years prompt and I emailed them and they said that it was an error and changed the prompts to the new ones