2020-2021 Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any other folks not only don’t have a secondary, but don’t have their AMCAS verified? There was a mistake in how my transcripts were submitted, and now I have to wait an additional three weeks...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Any other folks not only don’t have a secondary, but don’t have their AMCAS verified? There was a mistake in how my transcripts were submitted, and now I have to wait an additional three weeks...
prewrite!! you got this

Members don't see this ad :)
How are you all answering "During the stress of the pandemic, what was the one thing you learned about yourself? How has that affected your outlook on the role of medicine?" its like 2 different questions.......? thank you in advanceeee

How are you all answering "During the stress of the pandemic, what was the one thing you learned about yourself? How has that affected your outlook on the role of medicine?" its like 2 different questions.......? thank you in advanceeee

Just relate whatever you learned about yourself to medicine. First paragraph can be about what you learned, second relate to medicine

Reactions: 1 users
Current M1 here! Just wanted to wish all of you guys good luck, and remember the app cycle is long! It isn't over until they tell you it is. I remember being frustrated not getting any II's in the beginning. My Wayne II was in January and they took me off the waitlist 2 weeks before classes started. Don't give up on your dreams, you all got this!

• Care
Reactions: 21 users
Anyone doing EDP receive any information after submitting secondaries?

Current M1 here! Just wanted to wish all of you guys good luck, and remember the app cycle is long! It isn't over until they tell you it is. I remember being frustrated not getting any II's in the beginning. My Wayne II was in January and they took me off the waitlist 2 weeks before classes started. Don't give up on your dreams, you all got this!
thank you for the much needed reminder :)

On another note, we're at 5,387 applications as of 8/16/2020 o_O

More people are applying this cycle than ever.
Curious to see if they exceed their 9.9k apps from last year. And with the uncertainty and increased competitiveness each year, it makes sense that there'd be more applicants

• Wow
thank you for the much needed reminder :)

On another note, we're at 5,387 applications as of 8/16/2020 o_O

Isn’t that number actually quite low considering applications have been transmitting to schools since end of July... last year the number of applications was way higher by end of August if I remember correctly ( could be wrong though).

If anything I feel like less people will apply this year due to late mcats, potential retakes that would cause them to apply super late in the cycle and missing prerequisite classes due to Covid.

Anyone doing EDP receive any information after submitting secondaries?
Nope, also if you would like I made a EDP groupchat on groupme with a couple other members. DM me if you want to join!

Isn’t that number actually quite low considering applications have been transmitting to schools since end of July... last year the number of applications was way higher by end of August if I remember correctly ( could be wrong though).

If anything I feel like less people will apply this year due to late mcats, potential retakes that would cause them to apply super late in the cycle and missing prerequisite classes due to Covid.

Seems to be a bit fewer ppl this year. Based on last year's thread by July 30th 5389 ppl had submitted an application. Just assume that it's because of the verification delay. So it will likely be about the same this year.

They also sent first II aug 2nd. So, I think, just as amcas opened up 2 weeks later, they are just pushing things 2 weeks ahead. Based on that logic, the first II will be out this week.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Wayne State University

Secondary Prompts 2020-2021:

During the stress of the pandemic, what was the one thing you learned about yourself? How has that affected your outlook on the role of medicine?

Are empathy and sympathy the same? Please discuss their importance in the practice of medicine.

Describe what specific opportunities/resources are offered at Wayne State University School of Medicine that you plan to utilize as a medical student, and why?

each 1000 characters
is this with spaces?

Has anyone's status changed besides your application is ready on your portal? Mine hasn't I'm just curious if it updates or not

Has anyone's status changed besides your application is ready on your portal? Mine hasn't I'm just curious if it updates or not
+1 for application status being ready. complete on 7/15.

Do any of the other MD/MPH applicants who received last year's prompts know if we are being processed on the date we submitted the original responses or the submission date of the revised secondary? I noticed the email said it would not affect us, but I can't imagine a completion date in August rather than July would be neutral in terms of applicant numbers, etc.

Some quick notes from their webinar today:
the first interview will be Sep 2 and they'll be usually on M, W, F
the first invites will be sent out late next wk
they anticipate interviewing more ppl this cycle (1200-1500)

• Love
Reactions: 17 users

Thank you for the info!!

Where did you find out about the webinar? Do you know if there will be more?

Where did you find out about the webinar? Do you know if there will be more?
I got an email about their different webinars and I signed up for this interview one that's going on right now. They said it'll be recorded but I don't know if it'll be available on their site or anything

I got an email about their different webinars and I signed up for this interview one that's going on right now. They said it'll be recorded but I don't know if it'll be available on their site or anything

The other ones thus far have recordings posted on the events page so hopefully they'll do that for this webinar as well

Dont worry they get posted a few hours later. Should hear back soon.

You’re the MVP of the day. Also does this mean that the post acceptance rate will be lower 0.0

Reactions: 2 users
Do any of the other MD/MPH applicants who received last year's prompts know if we are being processed on the date we submitted the original responses or the submission date of the revised secondary? I noticed the email said it would not affect us, but I can't imagine a completion date in August rather than July would be neutral in terms of applicant numbers, etc.

My page is not evening allowing me to submit the response to the new prompt. Are you having this issue? I have emailed admin, they started they will extend my app deadline, but that does not fix the problem. Getting fraustrated.

Application tracker updated this morning up to nearly 6000 apps in

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
My page is not evening allowing me to submit the response to the new prompt. Are you having this issue? I have emailed admin, they started they will extend my app deadline, but that does not fix the problem. Getting fraustrated.
So, I just rechecked (clicked) the certify/submit box. It was very underwhelming in regards to seeming like I had resubmitted my application. I did not receive any confirmation that I had resubmitted, and the only way I was able to verify that I had resubmitted was by clicking the application status page and seeing the new submission date in August..............

Have you tried using a different browser? I am using Google Chrome.

So, I just rechecked (clicked) the certify/submit box. It was very underwhelming in regards to seeming like I had resubmitted my application. I did not receive any confirmation that I had resubmitted, and the only way I was able to verify that I had resubmitted was by clicking the application status page and seeing the new submission date in August..............

Have you tried using a different browser? I am using Google Chrome.

They responded. Apparently, there was a deadline attached to my application for re-submission the 2021 prompts (however, this was not stated in the email they sent). They were able to extended the deadline and I finally submitted it. Thanks for the help. Good luck on your app.

Fingers crossed for II's today per that poster's webinar notes! I can't believe their first interview is Sept 2 and they only are scheduling beginning this week.

Reactions: 2 users
Fingers crossed for II's today per that poster's webinar notes! I can't believe their first interview is Sept 2 and they only are scheduling beginning this week.

Since the interviews are through video, the time between II being sent out and the actual interview will likely be shorter.

Since the interviews are through video, the time between II being sent out and the actual interview will likely be shorter.
Still for people that work full time, some notice makes a huge difference.

Idk EDP should have heard from now!

probably pushed it back. With setting up online classes for current students the cycle is definitely delayed

probably pushed it back. With setting up online classes for current students the cycle is definitely delayed

They send interview invites way into the weeee hours. So until its tomorrow, they ain't pushed nothing back - forgive how I said that. Felt necessary lol.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
So I should be getting a secondary like next week *sobs*

Does anyone know what the re-applicant prompt is? Already finished the main ones, but can't seem to find the re-applicant one anywhere in this thread. Character count would be appreciated too.

So I should be getting a secondary like next week *sobs*

Does anyone know what the re-applicant prompt is? Already finished the main ones, but can't seem to find the re-applicant one anywhere in this thread. Character count would be appreciated too.
What academic, employment, volunteer experiences have you been engaged in since your last application to medical school? How does your current application differ from your previous application?

- 1500 characters bruh bruh

What academic, employment, volunteer experiences have you been engaged in since your last application to medical school? How does your current application differ from your previous application?

- 1500 characters bruh bruh

Thanks! But also, how does the first part of that question differ from the second part???

Thanks! But also, how does the first part of that question differ from the second part???
From how I see it, the first question is EC specific while the second may focus on things like coursework/MCAT, rewrites, shadowing, etc.

Interviews have been pushed back to September 9th at the earliest
Really appreciate the update! So I guess we can anticipate II's going out any time now.

Are others using contractions for these prompts? They are so short idk how not to.

Are others using contractions for these prompts? They are so short idk how not to.

Yes, if I used them, then I made sure I was consistent throughout the entire secondary for that school.

From how I see it, the first question is EC specific while the second may focus on things like coursework/MCAT, rewrites, shadowing, etc.

Definitely see the first question being EC specific with employment/volunteer, but academic also make it feel like that portion is coursework/MCAT oriented too?

That last post is directed towards Daikon, but also:

Does anyone have any tips on how to write that re-applicant essays when like, not much happened for you this past year?

For me I did a lot more shadowing, and took more post-bacc classes, but that's kind of it. I mean I had a new clinical position lined up, but you know, pandemic and what not.