2020-2021 Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That last post is directed towards Daikon, but also:

Does anyone have any tips on how to write that re-applicant essays when like, not much happened for you this past year?

For me I did a lot more shadowing, and took more post-bacc classes, but that's kind of it. I mean I had a new clinical position lined up, but you know, pandemic and what not.

same position as you. I just spoke about mynew classes and shadowing but unfortunately not much has happened! This covid19 :/

Members don't see this ad.

I totally missed that they suggested turning in the secondary within 2 weeks. I got my secondary like a month and a half ago lol. I work 60 hours a week and am depressed as **** so I'm being really slow about secondaries. Is it even worth it to submit at this point??

Reactions: 1 user
I totally missed that they suggested turning in the secondary within 2 weeks. I got my secondary like a month and a half ago lol. I work 60 hours a week and am depressed as **** so I'm being really slow about secondaries. Is it even worth it to submit at this point??
I felt that. If you have the money, I say F-it and throw your app in. What's the worst they're gonna do, say no? You're already going to have a nope if you don't apply. Shoot your shot; you got this :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I'm a reapplicant. First time around, I submitted by primary at the end of SEPTEMBER, got a secondary and left it alone. I casually checked the due date and it was like Oct 17th. I saw this the on the night of Oct 16th. I hadn't prewritten anything! Still got an interview invite like two weeks later.

I say go for it.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm a reapplicant. First time around, I submitted by primary at the end of SEPTEMBER, got a secondary and left it alone. I casually checked the due date and it was like Oct 17th. I saw this the on the night of Oct 16th. I hadn't prewritten anything! Still got an interview invite like two weeks later.

I say go for it.
Thank you!! I will! :)

Thank you!! I will! :)

Often times schools request two weeks not because they won't look at your application if you're over but because they want to keep a steady flow of applications coming in. That is, they extend 1,000 secondaries each week and request them to be returned within two weeks so they get roughly 1,000-2,000 secondaries turned in each week rather than a few hundred for a month and then 5,000 in a week or something (which would result in adcoms sitting around not doing much for a month and wasting precious time to review apps).

From my sources, the two week is more important for the out-state applicants but again really depends on your screener!

Did anyone get the “Future warrior MD” email? Seems like an auto populated email but still happy that they are keeping me informed.

Did anyone get the “Future warrior MD” email? Seems like an auto populated email but still happy that they are keeping me informed.
I did and I didn't even apply here. Got too excited and thought it was an interview invite from one of my schools. :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question on the "what resources/programs" essay:

I applied last year. Obviously I have to write new essays, right? But is it okay if I talked about the same programs I talked about last year?

Because they really are ones that I would love to be involved in.

Again, different essays, just same programs/resources mentioned.

Last edited:
Quick question on the "what resources/programs" essay:

I applied last year. Obviously I have to write new essays, right? But is it okay if I talked about the same programs I talked about last year?

Because they really are ones that I would love to be involved in.

Again, different essays, just same programs/resources mentioned.
Just be you. If those programs are what you are passionate about, write about them again. :)

Up to 7100 applications on the tracker, apparently still no II.

Up to 7100 applications on the tracker, apparently still no II.

According to someone here. IIs were pushed till Sep. 9th at the earliest. I imagine they, like many schools, are still working out the details of how it’d go and how they want to incorporate VITA into their admissions process.

Alternatively maybe they’ll review the entire( or 90%) applicant pool before sending interviews and send them all at once.

According to someone here. IIs were pushed till Sep. 9th at the earliest. I imagine they, like many schools, are still working out the details of how it’d go and how they want to incorporate VITA into their admissions process.

Alternatively maybe they’ll review the entire( or 90%) applicant pool before sending interviews and send them all at once.
What is VITA?

What is VITA?
Basically AAMC’s way of adapting to COVID by providing medical schools with a generic video interview application. Think video CASPer that gets sent to all participating schools

Is anyone else refreshing this thread/WSU portal/email ad nauseam hoping to hear II's started?!

Reactions: 6 users
all 7,000+ of us ahahah
Truly curious to see how big the wave of IIs will be when it finally comes, especially given the use of VITA and how they will be giving out 1.5 more interviews for the same number of slots (source is someone up above in the earlier part of the thread)

Now I can't shake that message earlier in the thread about how WSU sends II's late in the day. Also not thrilled about VITA and the increased interviews! At least their old post-II rate was good, at around 50%, so the increased interviews should only bring it down to around 33% -- which is very normal for many schools.

Now I can't shake that message earlier in the thread about how WSU sends II's late in the day. Also not thrilled about VITA and the increased interviews! At least their old post-II rate was good, at around 50%, so the increased interviews should only bring it down to around 33% -- which is very normal for many schools.

I thought vitas were sent Thursday am?

I thought vitas were sent Thursday am?
Thought VITA was sent anytime but I think TabbyTuxy meant IIs are sent to us in the evening (since schools have to let us know they’re giving us an interview invite). So like they would send Wednesday evening or Friday evening or whatnot

Thought VITA was sent anytime but I think TabbyTuxy meant IIs are sent to us in the evening (since schools have to let us know they’re giving us an interview invite). So like they would send Wednesday evening or Friday evening or whatnot
VITA invites are sent on Thursdays

VITA invites are sent on Thursdays
I thought this was only the case after you received an initial one? I haven't been invited to do VITA at all and was under the impression my first invite would come any week day, and the updated list on Thurs.

I thought this was only the case after you received an initial one? I haven't been invited to do VITA at all and was under the impression my first invite would come any week day, and the updated list on Thurs.
I think that’s right. I have two VITA schools and didn’t get another invite, only the initial. I was just clarifying to the previous poster that the VITA invite doesn’t come at any time, only Thursdays.

I very much so recommend practicing MMI questions recorded beforehand. I don’t think I smiled once during mine and really struggled to make eye contact. Its very awkward when there isn’t a human face to be talking to.

I think that’s right. I have two VITA schools and didn’t get another invite, only the initial. I was just clarifying to the previous poster that the VITA invite doesn’t come at any time, only Thursdays.

I very much so recommend practicing MMI questions recorded beforehand. I don’t think I smiled once during mine and really struggled to make eye contact. Its very awkward when there isn’t a human face to be talking to.

Is it plausible to think that they could even send the II and then later send VITA?

Thanks for the clarification and the tips!

Edp students havent been interviewed yet.. do any current WSU students know what is going on !?! I called and admissions says the oct 1 stands. Getting a bit nervous

Last edited:
Edp students have yet to receive any news pertaining to interview... do any current WSU students know what is going on !?! I called and admissions says the oct 1 stands. Getting a bit nervous

Last year, EDP applicants found out a few days before oct 1 I think

About whether or not you would be interviewed?? Don’t they have to decide by oct 1 if you are accepted or now??

About whether or not you would be interviewed?? Don’t they have to decide by oct 1 if you are accepted or now??

My bad, I assumed you’ve had interviews already.

That’s correct, EDP applicants heard back for acceptance/waitlist a few days before oct 1.

Surprised you have not had interviews yet. Hope it comes soon.

Edp should hear back real soon, my friend who did edp but got sick got a refusal already for lack of mcat!

UPDATE: If you’ve done VITA and are invited by another school, AAMC sends a follow-up email on Thursday with a list of all requesting schools.

I'm sorry y'all, they keep pushing II dates back and I have no clue why. Apparently there’s logistical issues.

It’s crazy!! Like at least send out a letter letting us know what’s going on... feeling very much in the dark. For non edp students it sucks they keep delaying it but they will get to you eventually!! October 1st is coming up soon and edp hasn’t even been interviewed or told what is going on.

We really appreciate you keeping us posted.

No problem at all. I was in your shoes not so long ago and totally understand how incredibly frustrating this process is. I will do whatever I can to help ease that anxiety for y’all.

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
No problem at all. I was in your shoes not so long ago and totally understand how incredibly frustrating this process is. I will do whatever I can to help ease that anxiety for y’all.
Thank you! Definitely appreciate the updates!