2020-2021 Wright State (Boonshoft)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does Wright accept update letters?
If it's still the same as last year, you are able to upload an update to their portal ONCE. I think you can upload multiple files at this one time (e.g., transcript and a PDF letter), but you can only submit once. After submitting your one update, you are barred from providing any further updates to the school.

Last year I uploaded my updated transcript to their secondary site early on to show that I met their pre-reqs after they told me they couldn't accept it over email. Later in the cycle I tried to send them a letter of interest. Their portal locked me out of uploading it since I had already uploaded my transcript so I tried to email my letter to them... They emailed me back saying they would not read my letter of interest since I had already used my one upload.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you answer "yes" to the question "Is this your first medical school application cycle?" does that weigh against you negatively? Also, if it takes you longer to submit a secondary due to personal reasons (i.e. over a month) would you say it's a long shot since they think you're no longer interested in their program?

Can't speak for your second question but for the first question, think about it logically. Why would it look bad? You're just applying to medical school, lol. Everyone starts off with a "first application"
EDIT: It's also my first cycle ;)

My bad I phrased that wrong. I believe they ask if you've applied to medical schools in a previous cycle and was wondering if you say yes to that if it will weigh negatively against you. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
My bad I phrased that wrong. I believe they ask if you've applied to medical schools in a previous cycle and was wondering if you say yes to that if it will weigh negatively against you. Thanks.
If anything, I think answering that you are a reapplicant puts you at a slight disadvantage because they expect to see a significant improvement in your application since your last cycle.

If you answer "yes" to the question "Is this your first medical school application cycle?" does that weigh against you negatively? Also, if it takes you longer to submit a secondary due to personal reasons (i.e. over a month) would you say it's a long shot since they think you're no longer interested in their program?
I think this is one of the ongoing myths of SDN. Of course, in an ideal world, submit once, make it your only shot and land the A. However, 60% of applicants don't get that acceptance call.

Not even just by program, but by individual reviewer, there will be a vast disparity in the opinion on reapplicants. If you're a reapplicant, you have to say yes. The question is not whether they "weight that against you negatively". The question is "have I done enough since my last application to show a. interest/competency in medicine, b. capacity for improvement, and c. self-reflection on weaknesses?"

Don't stress about having to apply, again. A large portion of the pool has to. Speak to how you've improved or further confirmed your interest in medicine and if you get a reviewer that frowns on reapplicants, then it is what it is. Hopefully there is another one of your applications reviewed by an adcom that believes in the AAMC Core Competencies and sees reapplying as capacity for improvement.

Remember, the posters on SDN are not representative of the entire applicant (nor matriculant) population.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
What definition does Wright State use for non-traditional student?
Did you ever find this? I also am trying to figure out if I can argue I'm nontrad based on my 2 gap years and major

Did anyone receive a confirmation email after submitting the secondary? I submitted almost a month ago and have not heard anything back from them

Did anyone receive a confirmation email after submitting the secondary? I submitted almost a month ago and have not heard anything back from them

I submitted my secondary a few days before July 30th and received a complete email on July 30th once I completed the competencies activity and secondary application. I would double-check if you have completed the competencies activity because they were pretty adamant about having that done before being considered complete.

ted almost a month ago and have not
I submitted my secondary a few days before July 30th and received a complete email on July 30th once I completed the competencies activity and secondary application. I would double-check if you have completed the competencies activity because they were pretty adamant about having that done before being considered complete.
Thanks! Yeah everything was complete except for the optional additional documents. I just sent the admissions office an email letting them know.

Does anyone know if we can consider a stipended research/fellowship position "paid employment" for the question
"If you had paid employment during the summers after matriculating (entering) college, how many summers did you work?"

Does anyone know if we can consider a stipended research/fellowship position "paid employment" for the question
"If you had paid employment during the summers after matriculating (entering) college, how many summers did you work?"
I would, got a check in the bank for it.

I also consider it as paid employment since you were getting paid for your research work.

anyone get an II? hopefully we hear something later this week or next week!

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone get an II? hopefully we hear something later this week or next week!
was wondering the same thing, last year's Interview Invites were out last week. maybe its the pandemic that's slowing it down this cycle. Hopefully they start sending them out soon!

Hey there, did you end up getting a confirmation? It's been a week since my submission and I have yet to hear back!
Not the person you were originally applying to but I got a confirmation email after submitting my secondary pretty soon afterwards- maybe like 12 hours? So it might be worth it to double-check or follow up on it. (I also didn't submit any supplemental documentation)

Hey there, did you end up getting a confirmation? It's been a week since my submission and I have yet to hear back!

Actually, Ive been so busy I dont think I ever got one and never followed up with them.. maybe I should email them. Thanks for the reminder

Actually, Ive been so busy I dont think I ever got one and never followed up with them.. maybe I should email them. Thanks for the reminder
Yeah I submitted a month ago and never got a confirmation email until I reached out to them 2 days ago. They sent the confirmation email within 24 hrs but I'm worried if this delayed my app

Reactions: 1 users
I just got my confirmation email. Hopefully your application will be in the system stamped with the time you submitted it...
Thank you for sharing, can I ask how I long it took to get the complete email after submission?

Interviewing here this upcoming Wednesday! Super excited but also semi-freaking out. Anyone else?? Feel free to message me! :) For reference I am an EDP applicant and I received my interview invite today (Friday) and only had the option to pick either this upcoming Wednesday or November 11th or later.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Interviewing here this upcoming Wednesday! Super excited but also semi-freaking out. Anyone else?? Feel free to message me! :) For reference I am an EDP applicant and I received my interview invite today (Friday) and only had the option to pick either this upcoming Wednesday or November 11th or later.
Good luck! Let us know how it goes :)
Anyone know when they’ll start sending out II’s for regular decision?

Hi! Lurker needing some advice here haha. I submitted my secondary quite some time ago but just realized I forgot to include loose ties to Ohio/the Dayton area (parent used to work in Dayton, I lived near Columbus very briefly when I was younger). Do y’all think not including these pretty loose ties will make a difference? Should I try to get this information to them somehow? Appreciate any advice!

Hi! Lurker needing some advice here haha. I submitted my secondary quite some time ago but just realized I forgot to include loose ties to Ohio/the Dayton area (parent used to work in Dayton, I lived near Columbus very briefly when I was younger). Do y’all think not including these pretty loose ties will make a difference? Should I try to get this information to them somehow? Appreciate any advice!
Have you already used up your letter of intent? If not, I believe you can always add this info to your letter of intent along with anything else your currently doing(work/job/tutor...).

Have you already used up your letter of intent? If not, I believe you can always add this info to your letter of intent along with anything else your currently doing(work/job/tutor...).
Not sure what people’s obsession is with writing letters of intent. This was brought up earlier on the thread... it’s foolish to send a letter of intent before interviewing. Unless Wright is the only school you’re applying to, no one should send a letter this prematurely.

Reactions: 5 users
Not sure what people’s obsession is with writing letters of intent. This was brought up earlier on the thread... it’s foolish to send a letter of intent before interviewing. Unless Wright is the only school you’re applying to, no one should send a letter this prematurely.
I haven't looked into wright state specifically, but several schools accept Update Letters, which are totally different, and that could definitely be mentioned in one of those, I've had advisors and adcoms say now isn't too early to send updates (E.g. I submitted primary app May 30, but had a great summer medical job + new leadership roles in service org that I wasn't able to mention in secondaries, so they recommended I submit an update whenever I had the chance). So if Wright accepts updates, I would think it would be fine to send an update on anything new and then close it with something about your ties to Dayton/how your new experience ties with the program if possible. (once again, I'm a fellow applicant, so I could be wrong, but from my experience, nothing is wrong with showing some interest in an update letter)

I haven't looked into wright state specifically, but several schools accept Update Letters, which are totally different, and that could definitely be mentioned in one of those, I've had advisors and adcoms say now isn't too early to send updates (E.g. I submitted primary app May 30, but had a great summer medical job + new leadership roles in service org that I wasn't able to mention in secondaries, so they recommended I submit an update whenever I had the chance). So if Wright accepts updates, I would think it would be fine to send an update on anything new and then close it with something about your ties to Dayton/how your new experience ties with the program if possible. (once again, I'm a fellow applicant, so I could be wrong, but from my experience, nothing is wrong with showing some interest in an update letter)
To add to this, just make sure you don't accidentally use the update docs option on their application portal..... I recall another user who submitted a transcript update and wasn't able to submit a letter of intent through it because they already used it for the transcript.

Reactions: 3 users
Did you have a financial need in college that required you to take out educational loans? is this just asking if we have school loans? I am not disadvantaged status but i have loans so I put yes but now I'm wondering if I should have put no?

Did you have a financial need in college that required you to take out educational loans? is this just asking if we have school loans? I am not disadvantaged status but i have loans so I put yes but now I'm wondering if I should have put no?
I was in the same situation as you, but I put yes.

when do you guys think OOS will hear back about IIs?

I was complete the first week of August, hopefully they start sending more out soon. I know this thread has ben relatively quiet lately.
Thank you. I was complete on the third week of August. Hopefully it’s on a way.