2021-2022 Einstein

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @Shazthepaws for sharing this year's questions!
This list looks overwhelming, but notice that you only need to write if you answer "yes" to a question, and your essay will be the last question.

2021-2022 Einstein Secondary Essay Prompts
If you answer any of the questions below as “yes”, please explain in up to 3000 characters:

1. I have taken time off from school between high school and college.
  2. I have taken time off from school during my undergraduate years.
  3. I have taken at least a year off from school since college graduation, including this year that I am applying.
  4. I have taken and received credit for online science core courses (e.g. chemistry, biology, organic chemistry, physics and mathematics) that were taken prior to the Covid Pandemic (earlier than Spring 2020)
  5. I have applied previously to medical school.
  6. I have submitted an AMCAS application to Einstein previously.
  7. I am/was a graduate student in the Sue Golding Division of Albert Einstein College of Medicine.
  8. I was accepted to medical school previously but did not attend.
  9. I was previously enrolled in medical school.
  10. I can attest that I have fulfilled the Albert Einstein College of Medicine COMPETENCIES (http://www.einstein.yu.edu/educatio...pplication-procedure/course-requirements.aspx) for admission. If you answered, "no" to the above question, please explain. For example, if you plan to take pre-medical course work in the coming summer, fall, or spring, please list the courses and tell us when and where you will be taking them. If your answer was, "yes," please write “NA” in the box below. (3000 characters)
  11. I will have a Baccalaureate Degree by the time I matriculate into medical school.
  12. I am presently holding a deferral from another medical / graduate / professional school.
  13. I have received a grade of "F" during my college/graduate school years.
  14. I have received a grade of "D" during my college/graduate school years.
  15. I have received a grade of "W" during my college/graduate school years.
  16. I have received a grade of "I" during my college/graduate school years.
  17. As an undergraduate, I transferred from one college to another.
  18. I have been the recipient of a warning notice for a non-academic issue that did NOT result in a disciplinary action.
  19. I have been subject to a disciplinary action and/or administrative action, expunged or not, while an undergraduate or graduate student.
  20. I currently have disciplinary charges pending.
  21. I have been prohibited or suspended from practicing in a professional capacity because of alleged misconduct.
  22. Please tell us the year Parent/Guardian received their highest academic degree, the name of that degree and the name of the school. If high school or less, please write "high school or less."
  23. If you were employed during the academic year, other than during winter and summer breaks, please write the number of hours you worked per week, and tell us what you did and why you were employed.
  24. Please provide your Race as you indicated it on your AMCAS application
  25. Please provide your Ethnicity as you indicated it on your AMCAS application
  26. If you indicated, above, that you will have, "Two individual letters (up to 5 are allowed)," please provide the names, titles and institution of your letter writers; please use a separate line for each. Please note that one letter must be from your major and your second letter from a science faculty member (two science letters from two different faculty members in the same department is acceptable). If this does not apply to you, please write “NA” in the box below.
  27. If you are a Post-Baccalaureate student (not a Master’s Degree student), please indicate whether a letter or statement of “Good Standing” been included in your letter packet? If “yes,” please indicate the name, title and school from which the letter has been submitted. If “no,” please indicate when such a letter or statement will be uploaded to the AMCAS Letter Writer. If this does not apply to you, please write “NA.”
  28. Did you take your last science course more than 5 years ago?
  29. If you have an Undergraduate Pre-Professional Advisory Committee at your college or university, and have chosen NOT to request a letter from that Committee, please tell us why not.
  30. Have you worked in basic or clinical research at Einstein/Montefiore?
  31. Have you participated in an Einstein/Montefiore Pipeline Program during high school, college or after?
  32. If you answered "yes" that you have worked with us here at Einstein/Montefiore, will a letter from an Einstein/Montefiore faculty member be included in your evaluations? Please tell us the name, title and department of the letter writer.
  33. Multiple questions on Family connections to the school
  34. Anything else you would like to share with us? (4000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Could you post the prompts?
A bunch of yes/no questions about your academic history, family members affiliated with Albert Einstein, and employment with 3000 characters to explain if needed. Only full-fledged essay prompt is below. @wysdoc

1. Please use this space to tell us anything about yourself that you would like us to know. If you do not wish to write anything, please write “NA.” (4000 characters limit)

Reactions: 1 users
This is probably a silly question, but what's the difference between the "provide Race" and "provide Ethnicity" questions? I identify as Filipino-American, so do I put that for both?

How much do you think we need to write for the 3000 character ones? I had prewrote these and previous years only needed 100 words. Do you guys think that 1500 ch + would be sufficient?

How much do you think we need to write for the 3000 character ones? I had prewrote these and previous years only needed 100 words. Do you guys think that 1500 ch + would be sufficient?
I would assume that is fine. They probably only made them longer so that applicants who needed more room to explain certain things had enough space to do so. If you feel like you have a complete response, I say go for it!

Reactions: 1 user
I would assume that is fine. They probably only made them longer so that applicants who needed more room to explain certain things had enough space to do so. If you feel like you have a complete response, I say go for it!
Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad :)
MSTP OOS secondary recieved. Prompts appear to be the same combination of background questions the MD secondary has + a question about your previous research experience

This is probably a silly question, but what's the difference between the "provide Race" and "provide Ethnicity" questions? I identify as Filipino-American, so do I put that for both?
I wrote Asian for Race and Chinese American for Ethnicity!

Reactions: 2 users
"If you answered, "yes" to the above question, please explain your activites during the time off. If your answer was, "no," please write “NA” in the box below."

"Activites"

Nice.

2021-22 secondary prompt @wysdoc

If you answer any of the questions below as “yes”, please explain in up to 3000 characters:
  1. I have taken time off from school between high school and college.
  2. I have taken time off from school during my undergraduate years.
  3. I have taken at least a year off from school since college graduation, including this year that I am applying.
  4. I have taken and received credit for online science core courses (e.g. chemistry, biology, organic chemistry, physics and mathematics) that were taken prior to the Covid Pandemic (earlier than Spring 2020)
  5. I have applied previously to medical school.
  6. I have submitted an AMCAS application to Einstein previously.
  7. I am/was a graduate student in the Sue Golding Division of Albert Einstein College of Medicine.
  8. I was accepted to medical school previously but did not attend.
  9. I was previously enrolled in medical school.
  10. I can attest that I have fulfilled the Albert Einstein College of Medicine COMPETENCIES (http://www.einstein.yu.edu/educatio...pplication-procedure/course-requirements.aspx) for admission. If you answered, "no" to the above question, please explain. For example, if you plan to take pre-medical course work in the coming summer, fall, or spring, please list the courses and tell us when and where you will be taking them. If your answer was, "yes," please write “NA” in the box below. (3000 characters)
  11. I will have a Baccalaureate Degree by the time I matriculate into medical school.
  12. I am presently holding a deferral from another medical / graduate / professional school.
  13. I have received a grade of "F" during my college/graduate school years.
  14. I have received a grade of "D" during my college/graduate school years.
  15. I have received a grade of "W" during my college/graduate school years.
  16. I have received a grade of "I" during my college/graduate school years.
  17. As an undergraduate, I transferred from one college to another.
  18. I have been the recipient of a warning notice for a non-academic issue that did NOT result in a disciplinary action.
  19. I have been subject to a disciplinary action and/or administrative action, expunged or not, while an undergraduate or graduate student.
  20. I currently have disciplinary charges pending.
  21. I have been prohibited or suspended from practicing in a professional capacity because of alleged misconduct.
  22. Please tell us the year Parent/Guardian received their highest academic degree, the name of that degree and the name of the school. If high school or less, please write "high school or less."
  23. If you were employed during the academic year, other than during winter and summer breaks, please write the number of hours you worked per week, and tell us what you did and why you were employed.
  24. Please provide your Race as you indicated it on your AMCAS application
  25. Please provide your Ethnicity as you indicated it on your AMCAS application
  26. If you indicated, above, that you will have, "Two individual letters (up to 5 are allowed)," please provide the names, titles and institution of your letter writers; please use a separate line for each. Please note that one letter must be from your major and your second letter from a science faculty member (two science letters from two different faculty members in the same department is acceptable). If this does not apply to you, please write “NA” in the box below.
  27. If you are a Post-Baccalaureate student (not a Master’s Degree student), please indicate whether a letter or statement of “Good Standing” been included in your letter packet? If “yes,” please indicate the name, title and school from which the letter has been submitted. If “no,” please indicate when such a letter or statement will be uploaded to the AMCAS Letter Writer. If this does not apply to you, please write “NA.”
  28. Did you take your last science course more than 5 years ago?
  29. If you have an Undergraduate Pre-Professional Advisory Committee at your college or university, and have chosen NOT to request a letter from that Committee, please tell us why not.
  30. Have you worked in basic or clinical research at Einstein/Montefiore?
  31. Have you participated in an Einstein/Montefiore Pipeline Program during high school, college or after?
  32. If you answered "yes" that you have worked with us here at Einstein/Montefiore, will a letter from an Einstein/Montefiore faculty member be included in your evaluations? Please tell us the name, title and department of the letter writer.
  33. Multiple questions on Family connections to the school
  34. Anything else you would like to share with us? (4000 characters)

Be warned that you cannot save your secondary progress (as in, fill some out then come back to it). You need to submit it in one go.

Learned that one the hard way…unless I’m just an idiot.

Reactions: 4 users
Be warned that you cannot save your secondary progress (as in, fill some out then come back to it). You need to submit it in one go.

Learned that one the hard way…unless I’m just an idiot.
you can actually just click “submit & pay”, not enter card details, hit the back button and it’s saved (learned that randomly today lol)

you can actually just click “submit & pay”, not enter card details, hit the back button and it’s saved (learned that randomly today lol)
Well…wish I had known this before rage quitting. :cryi:

How strict are they with have 1 letter in your major department? I'm bio and only have 1 in physical sciences...

Anyone know a good acronym for this school lol I don't really want to type out Albert Einstein College of Medicine every time since it looks a bit funny? Would AECM work?

Anyone know a good acronym for this school lol I don't really want to type out Albert Einstein College of Medicine every time since it looks a bit funny? Would AECM work?
I have been running into the same problem... ended up using 'Einstein' most of the time. This is what the med students I talked to called it.

Reactions: 3 users
"I have been subject to a disciplinary action and/or administrative action, expunged or not, while an undergraduate or graduate student."

Can I copy what I said in my AMCAS app? I don't know how I am supposed to rewrite a paragraph about an underage drinking Institutional Action that took place in freshmen year. I also don't have anything more to say; and if I did, it would be fluffy bs which I'm sure Adcoms can see through.

"I have been subject to a disciplinary action and/or administrative action, expunged or not, while an undergraduate or graduate student."

Can I copy what I said in my AMCAS app? I don't know how I am supposed to rewrite a paragraph about an underage drinking Institutional Action that took place in freshmen year. I also don't have anything more to say; and if I did, it would be fluffy bs which I'm sure Adcoms can see through.
Im gonna say just use the same explanation. Nobody really gives a **** about an IA especially for drinking as long as you own up to it

This is what it says regarding interviews and admissions after submitting the secondary for anyone who cares

• Well, you’ve made it to the end! Again, congratulations, and thank you for completing the Supplemental Application for the Regular M.D. Program at Albert Einstein College of Medicine. If you have also remitted the application fee, submitted your photo, completed your MCATS and seen to it that all your evaluations have been received, your application will be reviewed within eight weeks. Please be patient and contact the Admissions Office only if you think there is a problem with the receipt of some or all of your materials. Interviews will be conducted via Zoom beginning in September and extend through the end of April. Applicants are notified of their intermediate or final disposition beginning February 1.

I emailed the admissions office on Tuesday asking about the "one letter must be from your major" requirement, but I still haven't heard back yet. Has anyone else done the same thing and gotten a response?

I emailed the admissions office on Tuesday asking about the "one letter must be from your major" requirement, but I still haven't heard back yet. Has anyone else done the same thing and gotten a response?

Same, haven't heard anything back and they aren't answering the phone either.

• Sad
For the transfer question, I am a little confused about what to write. Should I just mention that I transferred from one school to another? Or do they just want me to say that I transferred?

For this question: If you were employed during the academic year, other than during winter and summer breaks, please write the number of hours you worked per week, and tell us what you did and why you were employed. (3000)

Do they mean during any academic year of undergrad or this academic year (2020-2021)? They have a question about gap year activities so I'm not sure what they're referring to here

For this question: If you were employed during the academic year, other than during winter and summer breaks, please write the number of hours you worked per week, and tell us what you did and why you were employed. (3000)

Do they mean during any academic year of undergrad or this academic year (2020-2021)? They have a question about gap year activities so I'm not sure what they're referring to here
I read that as, if you were employed at any point while also attending college full time, please write about it here. So it could be any academic year, but it would not be during any gap year. They're looking for whether people had financially-driven commitments other than class.

I would have written this as any academic year of undergrad

Anyone else getting an "error" message when trying to submit?

How are you all using the "anything else" question? Do you think we should consider it to be essentially mandatory since there aren't many other actual essay questions or would it be ok to leave it blank?

Should I use it as a "why Einstein" essay?

• Hmm
I submitted my Primary app to Einstein on July 1 but still haven't gotten the secondary app info. I assume I'm panicking for no reason over this right?

How are you all using the "anything else" question? Do you think we should consider it to be essentially mandatory since there aren't many other actual essay questions or would it be ok to leave it blank?

Should I use it as a "why Einstein" essay?
I used it as a combination of diversity, why Einstein, and COVID.

Does anyone know if Einstein sends a complete email after submitting?

Huh strange - I didn't get one, but I've got the "Well, you've made it to the end!" message on the portal

How long after submitting did you get the email?
I also have yet to receive a complete email. Submitted my secondary on 7/1.

Got an "Application Complete" emaiil. There's a delay to get this since if you read the other emails, such as "Spplemental app complete" they send you, they say they manually verify that LORs meet letterhead requirement before sending application complete email.

Does academic probation count for this?

sent my primary to them today and received secondary about an hr later