2021-2022 CA University of Science and Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed 2/4 and received WL right now

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I think a current student further up in the threads mentioned some students hearing back later in the cycle and to not give up hope, but I tend to agree that there isn't any reason for the school to tie us up and say absolutely nothing. I think what upsets me the most is that this profession is held on the principles of accountability, yet there are a few schools that still choose to exercise silence towards some of their applicants for months on end, only to reject them in the end without any explanation or opportunity for discussion on how to improve. At least with schools like Yale and Duke, if you get interviewed early, you KNOW all their decisions won't be coming out until February regardless of when you interviewed. They are extremely transparent about that, but that's not the case here.

It really isn't that hard to put in place a system that puts students on hold and notifies them of this. It at least lets the student know that "hey, we looked at your app, the committee discussed, but we just aren't sure yet." To accept or waitlist others from later interview dates and leave the earlier ones without any regard for direction just makes no sense.
What is the incentive for them to do any of that though? They know they can call up any one of us in this thread the day before classes start and we would be there.

Reactions: 1 user
What is the incentive for them to do any of that though? They know they can call up any one of us in this thread the day before classes start and we would be there.
my best guess is they want to keep their options open. At some point, they have to stop interviewing. When that happens, they only have the pool of those interviewed without decisions to consider and pull from if they exhaust their waitlist. This, of course, is just all speculation…

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
my best guess is they want to keep their options open. At some point, they have to stop interviewing. When that happens, they only have the pool of those interviewed without decisions to consider and pull from if they exhaust their waitlist. This, of course, is just all speculation…
I was referring to the incentive to communicate with us and let us know the status of our apps as described in the post I was responding to

I was referring to the incentive to communicate with us and let us know the status of our apps as described in the post I was responding to

that’s just the professional thing to do. they understand that the application cycle is very long, and to leave applicants with absolutely nothing post-interview is just unprofessional when you consider the fact that we all took time out of our lives to interview with them. I know CUSM isn’t the only school to ghost applicants like this, but there are plenty of schools that do inform applicants in a much more timely manner.

that’s just the professional thing to do. they understand that the application cycle is very long, and to leave applicants with absolutely nothing post-interview is just unprofessional when you consider the fact that we all took time out of our lives to interview with them. I know CUSM isn’t the only school to ghost applicants like this, but there are plenty of schools that do inform applicants in a much more timely manner.
It is unprofessional to do, I agree. But still. What's the incentive when they know they can grab any one of us they want at any time lol they don't care and they don't need to care. And we will all forgive them for it if they gave us that call.

Has the window for 2/4 interviewees to hear back for acceptances/waitlists passed? I haven't heard back. :(

definitely is a common practice, ghosted by 3 schools now (including cusm) all of which I'd attend if I was accepted 5 minutes before the first lecture. sucks since folks need to make decisions and free up spots for other students.

Has the window for 2/4 interviewees to hear back for acceptances/waitlists passed? I haven't heard back. :(
I wouldn't give up hope yet. The 5-week mark for your date is tomorrow so just keep your fingers crossed!!

• Care
Has anyone even been hearing back by 3 weeks lately? Feel like it’s been pushed to basically 4.5/5

Waitlisted 30 min ago! Interviewed 2/4. Good luck everyone else! :)

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
definitely is a common practice, ghosted by 3 schools now (including cusm) all of which I'd attend if I was accepted 5 minutes before the first lecture. sucks since folks need to make decisions and free up spots for other students.
They all know we would drop everything to attend their school haha, no incentive for them to change.

Is their class full? I got WL'ed for my 2/18 interview yesterday. They said in the email: "waitlisted applicants are individuals we would like to see in the class had there been more seats available to accommodate them..."

For those who got waitlisted in November does it say the same thing in your decision letter?

Is their class full? I got WL'ed for my 2/18 interview yesterday. They said in the email: "waitlisted applicants are individuals we would like to see in the class had there been more seats available to accommodate them..."

For those who got waitlisted in November does it say the same thing in your decision letter?
Wondering the same thing

Same thing, WL'd in Nov

Hey y'all I'm a current M1 at CUSM.

I applied in 2 cycles before being accepted anywhere and I understand how incredibly stressful it is.
I just wanted to come on and say I interviewed late April, was waitlisted in mid May and was accepted June 2nd to CUSM (after being accepted to a couple other schools; it totally shifted my life plans lol). The CUSM app cycle runs really late, so if you're not hearing back for awhile don't worry too much about it. As deadlines come and people who were accepted to multiple schools drop their acceptances, spots open up so things will move a lot more in the next few months.

GL to you all!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
For all accepted students, do we have a groupme chat or Facebook group created?

I applied in 2 cycles before being accepted anywhere and I understand how incredibly stressful it is.
I just wanted to come on and say I was waitlisted in May and accepted June 2nd to CUSM (after being accepted to a couple other schools; it totally shifted my life plans lol). The CUSM app cycle runs really late, so if you're not hearing back for awhile don't worry too much about it. As deadlines come and people who were accepted to multiple schools drop their acceptances, spots open up so things will move a lot more in the next few months.

GL to you all!

when did you interview last year?

Updated my original post, thanks for asking thats a good detail to include! Late April, the last day they had available for interviews.

ahhh. okay. i’m not sure if there’s hope for those of us who interviewed early in the cycle to hear back about WL/A’s that late … seems like if they like applicants they WL / A them pretty close to their interview date

Updated my original post, thanks for asking thats a good detail to include! Late April, the last day they had available for interviews.

forgot to ask, do you mind sharing your stats? are you from IE?

I'm excited to see the match list! I wonder when it'll be released

Reactions: 4 users
They are highlighting a couple matches on their insta page if any one is interested. Also, Is the commit to enroll for CUSM scheduled for May 1st this year? I think it was the date for a previous year IIRC

• Love
They also posted a livestream of match day on their facebook page where they go through many matches (I don't think everybody participated though) but it gives a good idea of where people ended up. I'm not experienced enough to know if the matches I saw are good though.

They also posted a livestream of match day on their facebook page where they go through many matches (I don't think everybody participated though) but it gives a good idea of where people ended up. I'm not experienced enough to know if the matches I saw are good though.
I'm excited to see the match list! I wonder when it'll be released

We matched pretty well I think. Over 40 matched in CA with many going to UCI, UCR and UCLA programs with some in SD at Kaiser and UCSD and one at Stanford. Even matched ENT at USC, Ortho at Pitt, Neuro at UWash and an integrated vascular at UNC chapel hill. A few prestigious programs in NY as well.

Most people matched into IM, Psyc and EM. Then we had a couple PM&R and DR, 1 ENT, 3 Ortho, 1 vascular, 1 urology, 1 ophtho, 1 gas.

Thats all I got from the top of my head but overall a pretty decent start to a school's match I'd say, especially if you want to stay in CA.

EDIT: Didn't see it but they posted some info as well:

Reactions: 7 users
Has anyone had any luck getting in touch with an actual human being at the admissions office? Goes straight to voice-mail every time. I was waitlisted in November and I was hoping to see if I could find out where I'm at on the WL. Also to see if they accept letters of intent. Left a voice-mail so hopefully they get back to me.

Has anyone had any luck getting in touch with an actual human being at the admissions office? Goes straight to voice-mail every time. I was waitlisted in November and I was hoping to see if I could find out where I'm at on the WL. Also to see if they accept letters of intent. Left a voice-mail so hopefully they get back to me.

They don’t accept LOIs or update letters. It says that on the website.

i emailed like 2 weeks ago and no response

Anyone from 3/4 heard anything yet? I know it's still early but I'm stressed LOL

• Care
Reactions: 2 users

I just wanted to come on and say I interviewed late April, was waitlisted in mid May and was accepted June 2nd to CUSM (after being accepted to a couple other schools; it totally shifted my life plans lol). The CUSM app cycle runs really late, so if you're not hearing back for awhile don't worry too much about it. As deadlines come and people who were accepted to multiple schools drop their acceptances, spots open up so things will move a lot more in the next few months.

GL to you all!
Do you have any insight on how much waitlist movement there is?

seeing everyone from march interviews talking about anticipation over their results when you’re a january interviewee who’s been ghosted
3324A58F-70D9-48CE-AAB4-B615AD14FC76.jpeg

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
I just got the acceptance email off the waitlist!! I interviewed 12/17 and put on the waitlist 1/21

Im so excited!! I spent my entire life in the IE and get to stay!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 13 users
I just got the acceptance email off the waitlist!! I interviewed 12/17 and put on the waitlist 1/21

Congratulations!!! Do you mind sharing stats? I was waitlisted back in November and hope to get that email as well! This is interesting because I thought we would have to wait until may 15th to see if we would get off the waitlist, according to their website

Congrats!

Did you send anything after being waitlisted?

Congratulations!!! Do you mind sharing stats? I was waitlisted back in November and hope to get that email as well! This is interesting because I thought we would have to wait until may 15th to see if we would get off the waitlist, according to their website
I thought the exact same thing because that is what I saw on last year's thread as well. LM 68, IE resident, ORM.

I tried to send a letter of intent and even wrote out the entire thing. But I decided to ask instead of annoying them with my LOI and they said they didn't accept any updates or LOI

Last edited:
Is there an admitted students group? If not anyone want to get one going? :D I'd love to meet y'all