2021-2022 Emory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't see any info on their website about what they count as social sciences but I included psychology, sociology, anthropology, etc.
Hmm MSAR has a separate category for psychology in "behavioral sciences" though. Looks like I'll finally put my AP history tests from 6 years ago to use lol.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe in the past they have just screened for >500 MCAT and >123 subsections
just got secondary OOS. i applied on a limb last year with a 501 MCAT (laughable i know i was dumb dumb 😂😂) and >123 subs and didn't get a secondary. obvi applying with a much higher MCAT this year lol but just some more info.

How are you guys answering: "Briefly describe your health-related experiences. Be sure to include important experiences that are in your AMCAS application, as well as any recent experiences." Should we just list everything and give a small description, 200 words isn't a lot

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I found an answer for what types of classes you can use for the social sciences requirement:

"Lastly, you will need to complete at least 18 hours of coursework in the Humanities and Social Sciences.

Examples of courses that meet this requirement include:

• Anthropology
  • Art/Art Appreciation/Art History
  • Black Studies/African American Studies
  • Classical Studies
  • Economics
  • Foreign Languages
  • History
  • Journalism
  • Literature
  • Music/Music Appreciation
  • Philosophy
  • Political Science
  • Psychology
  • Religion
  • Sociology
  • Theater/Film Studies
  • Women’s Studies"

Reactions: 4 users
How are you guys tackling the role of a physician question?

How are you guys tackling the role of a physician question?
I think you can take it as either how impactful doctors can be in the communities you serve or just picking a few key qualities that a doctor should have and why

How are you guys answering: "Briefly describe your health-related experiences. Be sure to include important experiences that are in your AMCAS application, as well as any recent experiences." Should we just list everything and give a small description, 200 words isn't a lot
Currently my description is a bit over than 100 words. I just wrote a sentence for my volunteer positions since those are more variable depending on your hospital, clinic, whatever. I think they know what a scribing and shadowing entails so I didn't really "describe" them much.

Does “Composition I” aka English 1101 count as a humanities credit?
I was an engineering major so I tbh may not have 18 credits

English is included in humanities. Use your AP English, History, etc. credits as well. Emory accepts AP.

Members don't see this ad :)
Look at the list up above for more ideas

if you are only applying MD are you answering the first two questions anyway??

for the health related experience question should we be including research or just limit it to clinical experiences?

For the "entire curriculum plan", did you guys just list out your planned/enrolled classes for the coming year?

Reactions: 1 users
for the health related experience question should we be including research or just limit it to clinical experiences?
I did but emphasized the clinical aspects of my research

For the question – If you have any updates or new information to report since you have submitted your AMCAS primary application, please briefly describe below – can I speak about an activity/experience that I could not include in my primary app because of space? Or are they looking more for "status updates" to your profile (e.g., I recently got my paper accepted to a journal and it is currently in press)

When you all are entering your courses in the course requirements section, are you just listing courses like (example) ENGL 123 and BIO 456 as just 123 and 456 in their respective sections? I know that the instructions say to just list the course number, but quite a few of my courses in different disciplines have the same course number (for example, CHEM 104, PHYSICS 104, and ANTHRO 104) so it feels wrong to me. Thanks for any clarifications!

When you all are entering your courses in the course requirements section, are you just listing courses like (example) ENGL 123 and BIO 456 as just 123 and 456 in their respective sections? I know that the instructions say to just list the course number, but quite a few of my courses in different disciplines have the same course number (for example, CHEM 104, PHYSICS 104, and ANTHRO 104) so it feels wrong to me. Thanks for any clarifications!
ENGL 123 and BIO 456 is the right way to go about it. I think they just don't want applicants to write out the full course name (Introduction to English Literature)

ENGL 123 and BIO 456 is the right way to go about it. I think they just don't want applicants to write out the full course name (Introduction to English Literature)
This makes a lot more sense to me than just using the number associated with the course. Thank you!

I'm torn on which third LOR to send and would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

One option is from a surgeon and mentor in my desired field who I have shadowed for three years; I know this letter is really good.

The other option is from a clinic that I currently work at where I run the vaccine clinic; I asked my boss and a provider to co-sign it, but everyone got excited about it and jumped on it - CEO, COO, CMO, providers, etc. I have no idea how they ended up putting the final product together.

I'm torn on which third LOR to send and would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

One option is from a surgeon and mentor in my desired field who I have shadowed for three years; I know this letter is really good.

The other option is from a clinic that I currently work at where I run the vaccine clinic; I asked my boss and a provider to co-sign it, but everyone got excited about it and jumped on it - CEO, COO, CMO, providers, etc. I have no idea how they ended up putting the final product together.
Mentor/shadowing letters do not receive a lot of weight, since their observations of you involve a passive activity, which consequently has limited value to an adcom. This is not a close call. A letter from a clinic you run will be much more powerful.

Does this imply to choose faculty whose labs we would want to work in?

Refer to the websites below to identify FIVE current Emory faculty you would like to meet if you are selected for an interview. It is important that you include the following information for each of the faculty you select:
  • Full name and department
  • How does their research relate to your interests and goals as a physician-scientist
  • If applicable, let us know if you have worked in their lab or if they have written a letter of recommendation for you (2000 words)

Whoa the 18 credit hours of social sciences...? Does psychology apply here?
Can we list one course in multiple categories? Ex. writing intensive course on religion can be under English + Humanities? And if I add AP credits, do I mark "Yes" that I meet requirements if I do not meet it without the AP credits?

Last edited:
Does this imply to choose faculty whose labs we would want to work in?

Refer to the websites below to identify FIVE current Emory faculty you would like to meet if you are selected for an interview. It is important that you include the following information for each of the faculty you select:
  • Full name and department
  • How does their research relate to your interests and goals as a physician-scientist
  • If applicable, let us know if you have worked in their lab or if they have written a letter of recommendation for you (2000 words)
Where are you seeing this? I’m not seeing it in my emails from Emory or in the secondary on the website.

I’ve been hearing OHSU has a strong emphasis on underserved, rural, and primary care. Does that mean that an interest in global surgery for underserved populations would be looked down upon?

I’ve been hearing OHSU has a strong emphasis on underserved, rural, and primary care. Does that mean that an interest in global surgery for underserved populations would be looked down upon?
Sir, this is an Emory thread.

• Haha
Reactions: 16 users
all of our brains are fried its all good. :)

Does anyone know if you are applying to MD/MPH, will that question be reviewed when considering just MD admission? I want to reuse content from that question in another one but don't want to repeat myself....

• Hmm
Does anyone know if you are applying to MD/MPH, will that question be reviewed when considering just MD admission? I want to reuse content from that question in another one but don't want to repeat myself....
I have been wondering the same thing! Do MD adcoms read the MD/MPH essay or is it only read by Rollins?

Welp, they responded to my email days after I submitted reusing content.... oh well, cest la vie. This this is the email I just got back from admissions for those of you still wondering (pls have a giggle at their spelling) :

Thankyou for writing and foe your interest in Emory. Yes. Your entire application (including your response to the MD/MPH prompt) will be reviewed by the MD Admissions Committee.

Office of Admissions

Emory School of Medicine

I found an answer for what types of classes you can use for the social sciences requirement:

"Lastly, you will need to complete at least 18 hours of coursework in the Humanities and Social Sciences.

Examples of courses that meet this requirement include:

• Anthropology
  • Art/Art Appreciation/Art History
  • Black Studies/African American Studies
  • Classical Studies
  • Economics
  • Foreign Languages
  • History
  • Journalism
  • Literature
  • Music/Music Appreciation
  • Philosophy
  • Political Science
  • Psychology
  • Religion
  • Sociology
  • Theater/Film Studies
  • Women’s Studies"

Does anyone know if we can use pass/fail classes to complete the humanities and social science coursework?

Does anyone know if we can use pass/fail classes to complete the humanities and social science coursework?
Wait I just saw this lol nvm

In this time of uncertainty, our Admissions Committee assures you that unforeseen academic circumstances will be understood in the context of the current situation. We will accept pass/fail courses, as well as online courses, toward the following course requirements.

Is the last question a "anything else" type of question? Do y'all think I could use my diversity essay for that one?

• Hmm
Only after submitting did I see in big red letters on the coursework page: "ENTER COURSE NUMBERS ONLY." I was so used to putting both numbers and names that I completely glazed over that. There goes $120...

Only after submitting did I see in big red letters on the coursework page: "ENTER COURSE NUMBERS ONLY." I was so used to putting both numbers and names that I completely glazed over that. There goes $120...
don't stress it!!!!!