2021-2022 Johns Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II Just now! literally can't believe it.
Congrats! when were you complete? And mind sharing stats?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all! Is there a way to tell in AMCAS Gateway if your letters of rec have been received?

Reactions: 1 user
JHU II this morning!
Submitted July 12
78 LM
94 WARS
URM

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
sooo I thought I submitted my secondary application on July 12 and check each portal every week so I can confirm everything has been complete for a while now, but i JUST got an email from them saying “Secondary Application Complete and will now be sent to the admissions committee for review”. Feeling a little disheartened as I thought I had submitted plenty early and if they truly didn’t get everything until today I am now just in the “on time” pile. This is one of my dream schools. Do I do anything? Did this happen to anyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
sooo I thought I submitted my secondary application on July 12 and check each portal every week so I can confirm everything has been complete for a while now, but i JUST got an email from them saying “Secondary Application Complete and will now be sent to the admissions committee for review”. Feeling a little disheartened as I thought I had submitted plenty early and if they truly didn’t get everything until today I am now just in the “on time” pile. This is one of my dream schools. Do I do anything? Did this happen to anyone else?
This happened to me today as well. Not sure what happened but I don't think there is much we can to about it at this point

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an II at 2pm via email! OOS, LM 76.2, complete 7/13

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
II today!!! I'm SHOCKED and so pleased! OOS ORM LM~72/73 (gpa < 3.8, mcat 516+)

Last edited:
  • Love
Just submitted my secondary today! I made the mistake of not fixing the resolution on my image that I uploaded properly. It was a square, but much larger than 3x3 (inches?). I thought I would be able to check before it was set in stone, but now I can't delete the photo. Does anyone think this will this be a problem? The file size was 1.5mb and is appearing very large when I open the photo that is on the secondary portal.

:(

Just submitted my secondary today! I made the mistake of not fixing the resolution on my image that I uploaded properly. It was a square, but much larger than 3x3 (inches?). I thought I would be able to check before it was set in stone, but now I can't delete the photo. Does anyone think this will this be a problem? The file size was 1.5mb and is appearing very large when I open the photo that is on the secondary portal.

:(
Just my personal opinion, but I feel like the size of the photo is the least important part of all considering the secondary application :)

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to everyone that has gotten an II so far! I just wanted to share the format of how interviews will work this year :)

So it will actually follow the same format as pre-pandemic years, it will just be virtual.
You will get an info session from someone in admin likely before any interviewing starts. Then everyone will be held in a "fish bowl". This is hosted by fourth years and is the time for you to ask all the questions. Things like "what to do in Baltimore", "what daily life as a Hopkins med student is like", etc. The fish bowl is not part of the interview and those M4s hosting it will not have a formal say. However, I would advise you not to be rude or anything as they can give red flags to AdCom. (Tbh that goes for any interview anywhere, please be nice and polite lol)

While in this fish bowl, they will start picking out interviewees to attend their interviews. And you will wait in the fish bowl until you are called :)

There is ONE ~45 min interview with faculty/staff and ONE ~30-45min interview with an M4 on the admissions committee. It is important to keep in mind that the M4 interviewing you has just as much say in your decision as the faculty/staff interviewers. These are M4s that applied to be on AdCom and were voted on by their class.

Traditionally, we also held a faculty lunch (before interviewing) where you could meet other faculty in a less formal atmosphere. I'm not sure how that's going to work now that it is virtual. We also gave a campus tour before the interviews started. I would assume this year they will show a video tour instead.

I'm happy to answer any other questions about interviews! I hope this helps and good luck to everyone interviewing :D

• Love
Congrats to everyone that has gotten an II so far! I just wanted to share the format of how interviews will work this year :)

So it will actually follow the same format as pre-pandemic years, it will just be virtual.
You will get an info session from someone in admin likely before any interviewing starts. Then everyone will be held in a "fish bowl". This is hosted by fourth years and is the time for you to ask all the questions. Things like "what to do in Baltimore", "what daily life as a Hopkins med student is like", etc. The fish bowl is not part of the interview and those M4s hosting it will not have a formal say. However, I would advise you not to be rude or anything as they can give red flags to AdCom. (Tbh that goes for any interview anywhere, please be nice and polite lol)

While in this fish bowl, they will start picking out interviewees to attend their interviews. And you will wait in the fish bowl until you are called :)

There is ONE ~45 min interview with faculty/staff and ONE ~30-45min interview with an M4 on the admissions committee. It is important to keep in mind that the M4 interviewing you has just as much say in your decision as the faculty/staff interviewers. These are M4s that applied to be on AdCom and were voted on by their class.

Traditionally, we also held a faculty lunch (before interviewing) where you could meet other faculty in a less formal atmosphere. I'm not sure how that's going to work now that it is virtual. We also gave a campus tour before the interviews started. I would assume this year they will show a video tour instead.

I'm happy to answer any other questions about interviews! I hope this helps and good luck to everyone interviewing :D
Thanks for all this info! Do interview invites go out in chronological order from Complete Date? When should we expect another wave to go out/will I be left hanging until the end of the cycle?

Thanks for all this info! Do interview invites go out in chronological order from Complete Date? When should we expect another wave to go out/will I be left hanging until the end of the cycle?
Yes and no. Of course, the earlier you get your secondaries in the better, as they will be reviewing you sooner. However, with each wave of IIs they review all the apps they have and decide. So you could have submitted in Aug and get an II in December or Jan, just like you can submit in Aug and get one in Sept.
Like most T10s they send out IIs in waves. I'm not sure exactly how much time is in between each wave. (Especially now with COVID things may be different than the past). However, if you're interested you could look at the 2020 app forum and look for how much time passed between II waves :)

Sorry I don't have a more definite answer :/

• Care
Yes and no. Of course, the earlier you get your secondaries in the better, as they will be reviewing you sooner. However, with each wave of IIs they review all the apps they have and decide. So you could have submitted in Aug and get an II in December or Jan, just like you can submit in Aug and get one in Sept.
Like most T10s they send out IIs in waves. I'm not sure exactly how much time is in between each wave. (Especially now with COVID things may be different than the past). However, if you're interested you could look at the 2020 app forum and look for how much time passed between II waves :)

Thanks! That's super helpful:)

This was the best explanation of the app process I have seen of the schools that send apps out in waves! This is why it is better to get your app in early because you will then be considered in the first and/or second wave. If you get it in later, you may miss the cutoff for certain waves or chances to get an II early. AND the later in the cycle, the more apps your application will be compared to in each wave. This is also why it feels like your chances go down with each wave and in some respects it does, but there is still a chance and that is what matters! This explains so much.

Johns Hopkins does send out apps in waves . usually a week apart. It is worth noting that they do spread apart their interview invites through the week (they do not favor a particular day unlike what a lot of people think). They tend to take one week off every month.

• Love

Just to clarify: The optional virtual hang out a few days before your interview is *not* the same thing as the "fish bowl". The fish bowl happens ON your interview days at noon. Depending on how your interviews are scheduled, you can have interviews before the fish bowl, after, or both! :D

wow II just now!! Complete 7/5, OOS no ties

• Love
Anyone know if it would be too late to submit a secondary here…looking for a last minute hail mary

Do folx know whether Hopkins is receptive to post-interview thank you letters, and if so, where to send them? Thanks!

II today!! LM 83, ORM, OOS, complete 7/23

is it still early here? sad i have no II here, late sept completeion

is it still early here? sad i have no II here, late sept completeion
From the looks of things, they probably are still sifting through July/August so it might be a while

II just now!!! Complete 7/8! I'm literally shaking I was not expecting this

• Love
Got a II on 10/6! I was so excited I literally cried lol
Completed/marked all received on 7/7.
OOS, ORM, LM 83

• Love
How do I send updates here?
You don't.

"If there was an error on your application or you need any changes made, please contact the AAMC at 202-828-0600. The JHUSOM Office of Admissions does not accept updates to your AMCAS application or for the secondary application."

• Sad
sent primary last week, sending secondary as soon as they email it to me.

F*ck it, Im throwing a hail mary boys & girls.

Fingers crossed for an II here since my friend got one last week (ORM, LM 84, no ties). We've had identical IIs so far, a week or so apart.

Fingers crossed for an II here since my friend got one last week (ORM, LM 84, no ties). We've had identical IIs so far, a week or so apart.
do they release on certain days or is there not a predictable day of the week?