2021-2022 Lincoln Memorial University DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine (LMU-DCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can someone post the link to the group me again? So excited!

Members don't see this ad.

For accepted students, did LMU send you merchandise from UPS?

For accepted students, did LMU send you merchandise from UPS?
I got like a little banner to post on social media with that says I was accepted, and a Christmas card but nothing else besides that

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I got like a little banner to post on social media with that says I was accepted, and a Christmas card but nothing else besides that
Okay! We got that too. A random package is being sent to us from UPS & I thought I saw someone say they got a t shirt & mug from LMU so I thought maybe it was that.

Thanks!

Okay! We got that too. A random package is being sent to us from UPS & I thought I saw someone say they got a t shirt & mug from LMU so I thought maybe it was that.

Thanks!
Oh did you get an email saying that?

Just an email saying UPS is shipping my husband something from TN- we live in OK so we thought maybe it was something from LMU? Maybe it’s also a mistake or spam..?

Hey! Can someone please link the GroupMe for accepted students the GroupMe link above wouldn’t work for me. Thank you!!

Just an email saying UPS is shipping my husband something from TN- we live in OK so we thought maybe it was something from LMU? Maybe it’s also a mistake or spam..?
Did you guys pay the deposit already? That might me why I haven’t received that email, I’m still between LMU and another school

Hi everyone, any applicants with interviews or acceptances for LMU with a sub 500 MCAT?

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone, any applicants with interviews or acceptances for LMU with a sub 500 MCAT?
496 club here ✋🏼

Husband was an otherwise excellent applicant with strong upward trend in the last 4 years.3.89 sgpa

Wishing you all the best!

I read somewhere that LMU's post interview acceptance rate is around 80 percent do not how true this is though.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know about how many people interview and how many get accepted at LMUDCOM. Thanks!

The Group Me Link is broken for those of us to join that have been accepted. Can someone please try to fix it and send it out again? Thanks!!

Going through old LMU posts I see a lot of negatives about the school are there any third or fourth years that can address this because I can not tell if it is simply talk or a larger issue. Thanks in advance!

Going through old LMU posts I see a lot of negatives about the school are there any third or fourth years that can address this because I can not tell if it is simply talk or a larger issue. Thanks in advance!
I second this request! Trying to decide between LMU and another DO school :)

Why should you avoid LMU?

The school is primarily interested in government dollars. They do not teach up to modern day standards.
1) Rolling door of professors
2) Poor/not well known clinical rotations
3) Loss of clinical rotations
4) Overemphasize the osteopathic tenets and are into some weird, almost black magic like stuff that has nothing to do with modern science
5) High attrition rate (due to failures or people just withdrawing due to not liking the program)
6) Hidden cases of title 9 sexual assault of students
7) Defending a pastor's son with the ability of not being able to do harm
8) Consistently incorrect keyed questions
9) "Choose best answer" questions highly subjective and have nothing to do with STEP or COMLEX
10) Nepotism: the children of doctors, professors or post-grads who essentially paid their way into their DO program are rampant at LMU
11) Erroneous information in curriculum that may harm patient safety
12) Curriculum in flux
13) Hybrid/zoom only education to keep the program going during covid - potential cheating
14) Lack of labs - instead everything is downloadable, yet again, to probably cut down on costs incurred by the school to maximize profits
15) Dismissal or withdrawal of not one, but two deans in a year (one in association for supporting a black lives matters movement)
16) "Not-for-profit" school that increases tuition intra-year
17) Reduced library hours - not useful for medical students who need 24 hour library access
18) Alumni professors who did not pass clinical examinations/boards on first go-around
19) Owner of school is a business man who owns pseudo slave labor in the Caribbean, a med-tech company and built a statue of himself
20) Their law program tried to sue the law board due to not being in compliance for meeting educational standards of the bar

GLTA

Last edited:
  • Dislike

The school is primarily interested in government dollars. They do not teach up to modern day standards.
4) Overemphasize the osteopathic tenets and are into some weird, almost black magic like stuff that has nothing to do with modern science
5) High attrition rate (due to failures or people just withdrawing due to not liking the program)
10) Nepotism: the children of doctors, professors or post-grads who essentially paid their way into their DO program are rampant at LMU
12) Curriculum in flux
13) Hybrid/zoom only education to keep the program going during covid - potential cheating
14) Lack of labs - instead everything is downloadable, yet again, to probably cut down on costs incurred by the school to maximize profits
15) Dismissal or withdrawal of not one, but two deans in a year (one in association for supporting a black lives matters movement)
17) Reduced library hours - not useful for medical students who need 24 hour library access
18) Alumni professors who did not pass clinical examinations/boards on first go-around
19) Owner of school is a business man who owns pseudo slave labor in the Caribbean, a med-tech company and built a statue of himself
20) Their law program tried to sue the law board due to not being in compliance for meeting educational standards of the bar

GLTA
Okay wow...could you please elaborate on numbers 2, 6, 11, 14, and 15?

You’re better off asking about specific things that matter to you. You’ll always get a few people on here who hate everything out of the school, usually after a particularly bad personal experience. Several people on the last two years’ threads gave pretty candid pro/cons.

You’re better off asking about specific things that matter to you. You’ll always get a few people on here who hate everything out of the school, usually after a particularly bad personal experience. Several people on the last two years’ threads gave pretty candid pro/cons.
The physiology professor had to "retire" (probably forcefully let go) after half the class was failing. This was a reoccurring event, not a singular one-year problem. The biochem professor also verbally assaults students!

Last edited:

12) Curriculum in flux

GLTA
2nd year knox here.
1. Pretty common for med schools
2. Basically the school mission, but there are sites in major cities like Knoxville, Memphis, Louisville
3. Can't speak to it, yea wish we had our own hospital, enough spots for everyone though
4. I mean it's an osteopathic school and it's really not overdone
5. Yes but they are accepting people with lower stats giving them a chance
6. None that I've heard
10. None that I've heard
11. Nothing that mattered
12. I mean not really, everything is based off of comlex/usmle
13. Everyone has been doing this?
14. Completely false
15. Sure
16. Not that I've experienced
17. Open 24/7 at least in Knox
18. Don't know about that. Don't think I've had any of those
19. Rich dude
20. Don't know

If you're coming here, you know that it requires doing well and going above and beyond to get a more competitive specialty. Have many PGY1 contacts who have been able to do so.

The physiology professor had to "retire" (probably forcefully let go) after half the class was failing. This was a reoccurring event, not a singular one-year problem. The biochem professor also verbally assaults students!
Probably true. Never heard of a recurring situation or a biochem professor verbally assaulting people in the 1.5 years I've been here

Can we also get a pros/cons list for Knoxville v. Harrogate?

Common sense tells me there's lots more to do in Knoxville related to activities, food, coffeeshops, etc.

I've heard with Harrogate is small-town, but perhaps better for medical school sense of community and building relationships with professors for residency matching? Also do y'all do any research at either campus?

Any current medical students at LMU want to chime in?

Common sense tells me there's lots more to do in Knoxville related to activities, food, coffeeshops, etc.

I've heard with Harrogate is small-town, but perhaps better for medical school sense of community and building relationships with professors for residency matching? Also do y'all do any research at either campus?

I chose Knoxville because I wanted a city/suburban area. Campus is only 15 min from downtown. Wouldn't change my decision.

Professors go back and forth between campuses so no problem there. Doing research right now simply by being proactive and sending emails.

I'll copy this over from what people said on the last couple year's thread:

Harrogate Pros:
-cheap housing (talking $250/month for a room, $750/month for a house)
-easy commute
-very low CoL
-campus is 2 miles from the KY state, a lot of people live in KY especially if you're looking for Medicaid or good public benefits
-more student support from main campus (gym, pool, on-site counseling, student health center, on-campus housing option, etc.) though Knoxville does have dedicated support staff on their campus as well
-tons of local/state/national parks, trails, hiking, camping, lake, outdoors and scenery
-more study space on campus
-Chik-fil-a and Starbucks on campus

Harrogate Cons:
-can be pretty much summed up with "rural," meaning car required, may have to travel for specific stores and chains, takes an extra day for packages to get there, etc.
-finding housing is sometimes difficult, even though it's plentiful and cheap, because most people look for big complexes and corporate housing when most of the housing is privately owned and rented via Facebook groups and word of mouth. Most people don't want to come here to tour (which you absolutely should do if you're renting from a private owner).
-less resources for families but they do have a spouses group for DCOM students (not sure how active it is or if there is one at Knox). Most spouses that want to work are able to find a job, but income is low in the area, it may not be in their field or it may come with a lengthy commute, and if you have young children, the cost of childcare is typically not be worth it.
-you may have to compete with the undergraduates and other professional schools (PA) for study space on campus
-cell service in Harrogate leaves something to be desired, something to check when you tour.

Knoxville Pros:
-city life, more social/structured things to do, closer proximity to more stores and restaurants
-decent public transit but haven't experienced it for myself
-more opportunities and options for families and children, especially if spouses are well-established in a career or work in a niche field
-housing is easier to locate, but see con for more expensive
-building is exclusively for DCOM/professional students, no competing with undergrads

Knoxville Cons:
-housing is more expensive; if you're using the school's budget, you usually need a roommate or to cut down in other areas of your budget.
-traffic
-TN doesn't have medicaid, most students aren't eligible for public assistance and the school doesn’t provide insurance, so expect to pay for private if you need it
-no physical resources from main campus. Discounted gym membership is available but no on-site gym, no on-site cafeteria. Counseling is available, but usually you skype in with Harrogate's counselors.
-less study space, increasing class size

The same: Lectures are streamed live to both campuses, comparable labs and lab spaces, you can do research at both campuses, you can travel to the other campus to do research.

The biggest differences are in lifestyle. Lots of people in Harrogate are from more urban areas and they do fine, realizing either a) they like or don't mind rural living, or b) they would rather live in a bigger town or city but realize that this a very short period of life and then they can go live wherever they want. If you hype it up to be the worst case scenario and decide that you're going to hate it, you probably will. But to be honest, going to Knoxville for preclinicals is probably not going to save you from that, because most rotation/clinical sites are rural areas. The school is not shy that they're preparing you to work in that type of environment. Most residency programs that the school has relationships with: rural and underserved. That's their mission. If you're going to absolutely hate living somewhere rural for a year or two or four, reconsider going to DCOM at all, because there's a good chance of that happening.

probably forcefully let go
Lol, admitting you don’t know if what you’re saying is true in the same sentence as you make the claim. Bold and reassuring.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
For the interview do you have to stay on the zoom call for all of the groups or just your group?

I've been complete since 09/17/2021. Anyone complete around that time still waiting to hear back about an II?

I've been complete since 09/17/2021. Anyone complete around that time still waiting to hear back about an II?
i've been complete in aug. I've seen people complete like in dec get an II so tbh idk how this school reviews applications. I sent an update letter too and seems like it didn't change anything.

Darn, hopefully we will hear something good soon. Could you share the email address you sent the update letter to? I am wanting to send one as well. Thanks!
i've been complete in aug. I've seen people complete like in dec get an II so tbh idk how this school reviews applications. I sent an update letter too and seems like it didn't change anything.

The tile 9 thing was settled when they fired the professor in question.

Accepted! Is there a GroupMe or similar chat for accepted students?

I'm OOS, 509 MCAT, 3.88 GPA, complete on 10/12, II on 12/8 and accepted 1/13 by phone call.

This is my first acceptance so I'm very excited. Hoping to get into the Knoxville campus. Good luck to everyone else applying

Reactions: 4 users

7) Defending a pastor's son with the ability of not being able to do harm
8) Consistently incorrect keyed questions
9) "Choose best answer" questions highly subjective and have nothing to do with STEP or COMLEX
12) Curriculum in flux

GLTA
So….if it’s as bad as you claim it to be, should one consider foreign med school instead? i.e. Mexico… Caribbean…

So….if it’s as bad as you claim it to be, should one consider foreign med school instead? i.e. Mexico… Caribbean…
I personally wouldn’t. Unless having MD behind your name is priority. I’m with a lot of Carib students on rotation and I would hate to go through the loan process. a lot of the schools don’t qualify for FAFSA so students have to take out personal loans/have co-signers etc. you pay for your own insurance. The only benefit is they don’t have a deadline to take their board exams, so they can have a ton of dedicated time and start rotations whenever. I’ve also heard there are only 7 states they can practice in (not sure how true it is).

anyone complete since September who hasn't heard back?

Accepted! Is there a GroupMe or similar chat for accepted students?

I'm OOS, 509 MCAT, 3.88 GPA, complete on 10/12, II on 12/8 and accepted 1/13 by phone call.

This is my first acceptance so I'm very excited. Hoping to get into the Knoxville campus. Good luck to everyone else applying
Here’s the GroupMe link GroupMe

Hi!

Can anyone answer a dew questions for me?

What are the exams like at LMU? Multiple choice, timed etc? Also how often are exams? TIA!

Hi!

Can anyone answer a dew questions for me?

What are the exams like at LMU? Multiple choice, timed etc? Also how often are exams? TIA!
They’re multiple choice and timed. Time varies based off how many questions are on the exam- it’s the same amount given per question on comlex. Usually you have an exam every 2 weeks. They separate science from non science- so could be closer together if it falls at a time where you’re tested in the non sciences. Usually those exams are once a month.

are they still sending II? Is the class full?

- complete early Aug and silence :( Did send update letter but nothing.