2021-2022 Miami

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry if I missed this but I took three quarters of ochem, can one of those quarters fulfill the second biochem class required?
off topic but I love your katara pfp she encapsulates how I am feeling rn so well lol

Members don't see this ad.

Yo what did you guys put for what have you done during COVID-19 to prepare you to be better physicians? I didn't do any volunteering and only worked in a warehouse :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know why it says "Do not enter lab courses in this prerequisites section"? What if the lab is separate for a class? How are they supposed to know we did the lab if they say they require a lab?
Did you figure out how to navigate this? I am in a similar situation and was wondering if anyone contacted the school yet?

Would it look tacky to talk about sports & fine arts in the 1st optional prompt? Both are very important to me and have been touched on in my primary application, D-1 athlete for one of my most meaningful and violinist for a normal activity. So far I've written further into my music background and think I could talk about sports more in the hobbies section, lmk what you guys think.
I actually did something similar to you but the opposite (talked about sports in the first optional then some music/arts and other stuff in the hobbies). I'm by no means D1 level or a musician though, but sports and music were both touched on in my primary as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Did you figure out how to navigate this? I am in a similar situation and was wondering if anyone contacted the school yet?
They do have access to your transcripts, so I did not include lab courses (which were separate courses). Also there is not enough spots to put labs

Anyone know how they take the Casper exam into consideration when reviewing applications? Like is there a certain percentile cutoff you need to hit or anything like that?

Anyone know how they take the Casper exam into consideration when reviewing applications? Like is there a certain percentile cutoff you need to hit or anything like that?
Per the UM admissions "Thank you for your interest in the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. A low CASPer score may not exclude you from an interview, but with 11,000 applicants it will not help. "

I have a ton of research experience and like a lot I can write about each activity. It says "briefly" but then it's 500 word maximum, so how brief are people doing? I'm struggling with this one.

Per the UM admissions "Thank you for your interest in the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. A low CASPer score may not exclude you from an interview, but with 11,000 applicants it will not help. "
wellllll I might just not apply here then lol

I have a ton of research experience and like a lot I can write about each activity. It says "briefly" but then it's 500 word maximum, so how brief are people doing? I'm struggling with this one.
The way I approached it was to give a 150-250 word recap that highlights the most compelling/interesting bits without getting too technical. Agree its weird but if you look at past threads I would not worry about not using all 500 words.

Is Snapshot and Duet required? From the secondary it does not seem like it but I do not want them to expire if I need them.

The way I approached it was to give a 150-250 word recap that highlights the most compelling/interesting bits without getting too technical. Agree its weird but if you look at past threads I would not worry about not using all 500 words.
so 100ish words per research experience like if I have 4?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is Snapshot and Duet required? From the secondary it does not seem like it but I do not want them to expire if I need them.

It can’t hurt. Some school requirements can fluctuate even throughout the same admissions cycle

I took my Casper last week. Is it even worth submitting my secondary before the score comes back?

SO I just saw that they require either 1 semester OR two quarters of biochemistry. However, I have only taken 1 quarter of biochem but it was for 2.70 semester hours. This was also the only biochem class actually offered for undergrads at my university so I am not exactly sure how else I was supposed to fill it. Am I totally screwed or is it still worth applying?
Did you ever find out whether or not you could substitute a quarter of ochem for the second quarter of biochem?

Hello! Does anyone know where I can find a list of student organizations at Miami Miller? I can't access the Student Organizations tab on their website because their security certificate expired for the page apparently.

Hello! Does anyone know where I can find a list of student organizations at Miami Miller? I can't access the Student Organizations tab on their website because their security certificate expired for the page apparently.
I got past it by clicking on the button that says something along the lines of "tell me the details" and then "visit site anyway"

Let me know if that doesn't work.

Update- they emailed me and said that their tech team is trying to fix the Letter of Rec issue. Seems to be universal

Update- they emailed me and said that their tech team is trying to fix the Letter of Rec issue. Seems to be universal
heads up for everyone because it seems to happen every year. make sure your LOR and picture are checked off in the portal. Someone late last cycle hadnt noticed that the LORs werent marked off and their application wasnt looked at until I gave them the appropriate contact and they ended up fixing it. They ended up getting the interview and acceptd but it def could have been avoided

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure if this has already been answered, but any advice on what to do if your experiences for #3 and #4 have overlap? For example, I was a volunteer at a hospital, so this could count as both a clinical experience (#3) and a volunteering experience (#4).

Not sure if this has already been answered, but any advice on what to do if your experiences for #3 and #4 have overlap? For example, I was a volunteer at a hospital, so this could count as both a clinical experience (#3) and a volunteering experience (#4).

I didn't include my clinical volunteering under the volunteering section. I figured if they've read about it once in the secondary they get the picture lol

but doesn’t only one of them say to describe? I was going to put them on both, and only describe for the clinical one

The secondary document attached says that each time you are asked to include a chronological list, you also need to include a brief description

Wow I completely missed that. Will that affect me lol

Wow I completely missed that. Will that affect me lol
Honestly I am not sweating it too much. Most of the information is in my primary application anyway.

I do still think that is weird that they didn't emphasize adding the description for the second question.

Last edited:
Honestly I am not sweating it too much. Most of the information is in my primary information anyway.

I do still think that is weird that they didn't emphasize adding the description for the second question.
yeah I thought it was strange that they specifically asked for a description in the first but said to list it in the second. I included one activity that wasn’t in my primary because I didn’t do it for too long and it wasn’t that significant :/ oh well

Secondary submitted 7/19. They don't send a complete confirmation, do they? I saw all green checkmarks. No way to check if Casper is in either it looks like.

Secondary submitted 7/19. They don't send a complete confirmation, do they? I saw all green checkmarks. No way to check if Casper is in either it looks like.
The only confirmation I got was right after I pressed submit. I see all the green checkmarks too and it says application complete so I think we're good!

are u guys using all 500 words for each essay lmao that seems like too much (like almost a page for each essay!!!)

are u guys using all 500 words for each essay lmao that seems like too much (like almost a page for each essay!!!)
no. only use as many words as necessary to get your point across/answer the question

Status in portal now says app has been reviewed and interview invites will be sent between August and March based on the evaluation score from the adcom.