2021-2022 Minnesota, Twin Cities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Posting the MSTP secondary prompts here

Please list University of Minnesota faculty members (maximum of 12) you would be interested in potentially working with for your PhD studies in our program. A list of names is sufficient, and they do not need to be in any rank order.

What area(s) of research are you interested in pursuing during your PhD training? (200 Characters)

What factors influenced your decision to apply to the University of Minnesota MSTP? (300 Characters)

Briefly describe any impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on your preparation for MD-PhD training. (500 characters)

The University of Minnesota MSTP is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, equitable, and just climate that fosters the success and well-being of students and faculty from all backgrounds and experiences. We pledge to continuously educate ourselves, examine our biases, and work to combat systemic racism and injustice. As a student in our program, how do you plan to contribute to our initiatives (Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion) in justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion? (700 Characters)

Members don't see this ad.

I have never taken a course with a W next to it meaning (Writing Intensive); however, I have taken English 1 and 2, but I don't remember if I had to write a 10-page paper for those classes since I took them senior year of high school.

Does anyone know how anal they are about this requirement?

I have never taken a course with a W next to it meaning (Writing Intensive); however, I have taken English 1 and 2, but I don't remember if I had to write a 10-page paper for those classes since I took them senior year of high school.

Members don't see this ad :)

My college didn’t have classes that were designated as writing intensive either. You have to submit the syllabus for a class that required a 10 page paper. The class I used had a range for the required paper (e.g. 8-12), so I also had to submit the actual paper that I wrote. They seemed pretty strict about the writing requirement.

My college didn’t have classes that were designated as writing intensive either. You have to submit the syllabus for a class that required a 10 page paper. The class I used had a range for the required paper (e.g. 8-12), so I also had to submit the actual paper that I wrote. They seemed pretty strict about the writing requirement.
Yikes, I didn't save any of those syllabi and they don't mark on our transcripts. Our school requires that all humanities courses be writing-intensive though, I wonder if they'll accept that

Heya, incoming MS1 here. Can confirm they won’t accept English 1/2, even if designated writing intensive or if it had a 10 page paper. Has to be upper level. They’re pretty serious about it, like GalaxyBrain I had to submit a 10 page paper from my class as proof (though they didn’t make me give the syllabus as well). If you didn’t save college papers/syllabi, try reaching out to old professors, they may have them. And if you haven’t taken an upper level humanities/SS course that fulfills the requirement, I would plan to this spring, I haven’t heard of many exceptions to this rule being granted.

Reactions: 1 user
Heya, incoming MS1 here. Can confirm they won’t accept English 1/2, even if designated writing intensive or if it had a 10 page paper. Has to be upper level. They’re pretty serious about it, like GalaxyBrain I had to submit a 10 page paper from my class as proof (though they didn’t make me give the syllabus as well). If you didn’t save college papers/syllabi, try reaching out to old professors, they may have them. And if you haven’t taken an upper level humanities/SS course that fulfills the requirement, I would plan to this spring, I haven’t heard of many exceptions to this rule being granted.
I screwed up and listed my 1000 level class because I didn't see the "upper" in the description. I reached out to them to inform them that I did fulfill the requirement though. Hopefully it works out :p

I screwed up and listed my 1000 level class because I didn't see the "upper" in the description. I reached out to them to inform them that I did fulfill the requirement though. Hopefully it works out :p
I just looked and realized I did the same:cryi: did they respond to your email? I think I'll have to reach out too.

I just looked and realized I did the same:cryi: did they respond to your email? I think I'll have to reach out too.
Welcome to the club. Yes they replied to my first email, but I think I made the mistake of replying on a Friday afternoon which buried my email through the weekend, so I haven't heard back since. I don't think i'm going to send another message because then i'm gonna seem neurotic...

Also their application should have the heading (upper level) like it does for the science section rather than in the description.

Also their application should have the heading (upper level) like it does for the science section rather than in the description.
Ahh I see. I emailed earlier today and will see what they say. And I definitely agree. It's so easy to skip over that "upper division" part in the description :/

"Please note, that if you enter a course manually, it will likely appear as "unverified" on your application. Also, when using the drop-down course option, some information will not transfer from your AMCAS application. Both of these are not issues of concern, as Admissions staff will verify your coursework at a later date if there are questions about prerequisite fulfillment."
Should I select the drop-down from AMCAS or enter them manually? They require the grade etc, and is not transfered from AMCAS. They said it is ok both ways but does anyone one which one works better?

Does anyone know when they usually start sending out II?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahh I see. I emailed earlier today and will see what they say. And I definitely agree. It's so easy to skip over that "upper division" part in the description :/
They got back to me and said "Prerequisites will be reviewed post interview and pre-matriculation. Should there be any discrepancies after reviewing applicant transcripts, we will reach out to applicants directly for more information."

So it shouldn't effect getting an interview.

They got back to me and said "Prerequisites will be reviewed post interview and pre-matriculation. Should there be any discrepancies after reviewing applicant transcripts, we will reach out to applicants directly for more information."

So it shouldn't effect getting an interview.
Thanks! I appreciate you letting me know.

Hey, for anyone concerned about the Humanities/Social Sciences prerequisite, they removed the "writing intensive" part of the requirement.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey, for anyone concerned about the Humanities/Social Sciences prerequisite, they removed the "writing intensive" part of the requirement.
Wow- I looked just yesterday and I believe it said writing intensive! I'm glad they changed it - I've never had to write 10 pages for a class:rofl:

Wow- I looked just yesterday and I believe it said writing intensive! I'm glad they changed it - I've never had to write 10 pages for a class:rofl:
It did! I looked a couple of days ago because I inputted the wrong class into that part of the secondary and it said writing intensive. I'm glad they changed it!

Does anyone know when they usually start sending out II?
Last year it was the second week of September, with interviews starting in October. But this year they said they want to start interviewing in August I think.

Last year it was the second week of September, with interviews starting in October. But this year they said they want to start interviewing in August I think.
Awesome. Thanks for the info. I saw on their website that they want to start interviewing in August so just wondering when we might get the invite.

Just saw that I received an email from admissions, then I realized that it was just an email asking me to register for the SJT.

The false hope ends up being so disappointing.

Just saw that I received an email from admissions, then I realized that it was just an email asking me to register for the SJT.

The false hope ends up being so disappointing.
I saw that email and a flutter of hope stirred in my heart. Then I opened the email. :/

Haven't gotten a secondary yet. Do they screen?
They screen for:
  1. A minimum MCAT score of 499.
  2. Residency Status - Applicants must be US citizens, hold a permanent resident visa, or be a Minnesota resident with DACA designation.
  3. All prerequisite courses must be completed at an accredited US or Canadian institution before matriculating into the class.

Did you guys get this follow up email an hour later?

"Just a short time ago you received an email from me encouraging you to take the SJT. If you have already taken it this cycle or last PLEASE IGNORE my message. We have received your score-no need to confirm its receipt."

They screen for:
  1. A minimum MCAT score of 499.
  2. Residency Status - Applicants must be US citizens, hold a permanent resident visa, or be a Minnesota resident with DACA designation.
  3. All prerequisite courses must be completed at an accredited US or Canadian institution before matriculating into the class.
Thanks for letting me know. I know someone who got in last cycle with a 490 mcat.

The MCAT requirement was waived last cycle.

I was told by Duluth admissions that neither UMN campus even looked at MCAT scores.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got an R, 3.7/519 OOS but with ties to MN. Really sad about this one actually, as this is actually the closest school to my hometown in WI :/ complete 7/9

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
I just got an R, 3.7/519 OOS but with ties to MN. Really sad about this one actually, as this is actually the closest school to my hometown in WI :/ complete 7/9
Wow sorry man. You can request feedback on your app. Those are really good stats though you'll get in somewhere.

Wow sorry man. You can request feedback on your app. Those are really good stats though you'll get in somewhere.
Thank you, and I hope so.. I’m just bummed after getting two R’s yesterday as my first news from any schools. It’s making me paranoid that there is a red flag somewhere that I’m unaware of, but I’m probably just being neurotic.
To request feedback, do you know if I just email the admissions email and ask?

Thank you, and I hope so.. I’m just bummed after getting two R’s yesterday as my first news from any schools. It’s making me paranoid that there is a red flag somewhere that I’m unaware of, but I’m probably just being neurotic.
To request feedback, do you know if I just email the admissions email and ask?
UMN-TC doesn't provide feedback "appointments" per their website. My understanding is that they also don't provide any further feedback via email beyond what is already in your R email, but I'm not 100% positive.

how much of a factor does the SJT play? I bombed that stuff lol

According to the school they don't use it in admissions decisions, although they leave the caveat that if they find that it improves their ability to judge applicants that they may use it "in the future".

I am going to surmise that given there is no reciprocity with WI as there is undergrad they are yield protecting and assuming you will get in and go to UW- Madison.

oh no this makes me nervous. UMN-TC is also the closest school to my N WI hometown, and my stats are a bit lower than yours.

Primary sent 7/23 and still haven’t seen a secondary. Any ideas? GPA > 3.8, MCAT > 510. OOS with significant ties.

Primary sent 7/23 and still haven’t seen a secondary. Any ideas? GPA > 3.8, MCAT > 510. OOS with significant ties.
I was submitted with primary 7/1 and did not receive my secondary until 7/21, it takes them awhile to review everything

I was complete 7/9 and received my secondary 8/4. You are well within their cutoffs, you should get it soon!

I was complete 7/9 and received my secondary 8/4. You are well within their cutoffs, you should get it soon!
I wonder if its different timelines for out of state people. I am in state and got my secondary a day or two after being verified.

II received 8/12 for MSTP, submitted secondary 7/24

Congrats! Are you in state and mind sharing stats? I submitted secondary on 7/22 ...hope i'm on the interview list :/
Thanks! I'm OOS (although it doesn't matter for MSTP) and am happy to message you stats. :)

Just got my SJT score back and it was much worse than I was expecting... Can someone reassure me that they're not using it to evaluate apps this cycle? My understanding is that they'll look at it after they decide on you to see if they want to require it in future cycles.

Just got my SJT score back and it was much worse than I was expecting... Can someone reassure me that they're not using it to evaluate apps this cycle? My understanding is that they'll look at it after they decide on you to see if they want to require it in future cycles.
Per their website:
"To further enhance our holistic review process during the 2022 application cycle, we are strongly encouraging applicants to complete an online situational judgment test (SJT), administered by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC), to assess the pre-professional competencies that our admissions committee believes are essential for success at our medical school. If scores are ultimately shown to enhance our holistic process, we may consider them as one part of our admission decisions."

Per their website:
"To further enhance our holistic review process during the 2022 application cycle, we are strongly encouraging applicants to complete an online situational judgment test (SJT), administered by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC), to assess the pre-professional competencies that our admissions committee believes are essential for success at our medical school. If scores are ultimately shown to enhance our holistic process, we may consider them as one part of our admission decisions."
This is almost identical to the statement they had last year.

I wouldn't be too concerned about them using the score this year, especially since they made it optional and have repeatedly assured people that it doesn't hurt you to not take it.

I got it back and just barely made it in the top quartile. However my Casper score was in the bottom quartile. These tests are a joke imo and I don't think its gonna hurt you.