You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2021-2022 Minnesota, Twin Cities
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Complete date?Just got an R. Good luck to everyone else.
July 30Complete date?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
lol yeah I was top quartile for Casper but bottom quartile for SJT ¯\_(ツ)_/¯I got it back and just barely made it in the top quartile. However my Casper score was in the bottom quartile. These tests are a joke imo and I don't think its gonna hurt you.
Did people who got rejected have SJT scores?
Your SJT score is just another positive on your app, so it will help you a little bit. But it doesn't make or break your app.Mannnn, I got a 504 MCAT but a 92nd percentile SJT. I wish the SJT counted lol, it would help out the very average MCAT I got. Darn.
Countrychkn
Full Member
Is this in addition to the other secondary prompts posted earlier?Posting the MSTP secondary prompts here
Please list University of Minnesota faculty members (maximum of 12) you would be interested in potentially working with for your PhD studies in our program. A list of names is sufficient, and they do not need to be in any rank order.
What area(s) of research are you interested in pursuing during your PhD training? (200 Characters)
What factors influenced your decision to apply to the University of Minnesota MSTP? (300 Characters)
Briefly describe any impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on your preparation for MD-PhD training. (500 characters)
The University of Minnesota MSTP is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, equitable, and just climate that fosters the success and well-being of students and faculty from all backgrounds and experiences. We pledge to continuously educate ourselves, examine our biases, and work to combat systemic racism and injustice. As a student in our program, how do you plan to contribute to our initiatives (Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion) in justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion? (700 Characters)
No just these ones if I remember correctlyIs this in addition to the other secondary prompts posted earlier?
Just wanted to add that I am literally from Duluth and received skeptical looks for wanting to go there, because I am not from a “rural” MN town. I was waitlisted and not in the “high priority waitlist”It won't necessarily hurt, but if you can't express your explicit interest in rural/Native American medicine and, more specifically, family med/primary care, then there's pretty much no chance that you'll get in.
They hammer those topics pretty heavily and both interviewers asked me about it last year. You'll even get some skeptical looks if you are from the Twin Cities area and otherwise don't have much experience with rural life. I have a friend that got a post-II R a couple years ago and she was told that this was an issue with her application (she grew up in an upscale suburb in the Twin Cities).
Duluth being mission-oriented is no joke, and they really look for people that are actually dedicated to their mission.
I was wondering if anyone can confirm how long it took them to receive an invitation to complete the secondary application? I responded to the campus preference question over a week ago and am just getting a little antsy.
I received campus selection email and completed campus selection on 7/6 and got Twin Cities secondary on 7/21. Good luck!I was wondering if anyone can confirm how long it took them to receive an invitation to complete the secondary application? I responded to the campus preference question over a week ago and am just getting a little antsy.
As long as you got a 499 MCAT and a 3.0 GPA they will send you a secondaryI was wondering if anyone can confirm how long it took them to receive an invitation to complete the secondary application? I responded to the campus preference question over a week ago and am just getting a little antsy.
I received campus selection email and completed campus selection on 7/6 and got Twin Cities secondary on 7/21. Good luck!
Thank you!!
As long as you got a 499 MCAT and a 3.0 GPA they will send you a secondary
Thank you!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted1017120
The info is on their website.Does UMN allow updates? There's no place for it in the portal/Dashboard so I'm making the assumption that they don't?
If you get an II to the Twin Cities, they will tell you how you can submit updates, which you can only do prior to your interview.
Application Process
Ah okay. That's rough. I have a lot of stuff to share that I've been doing over the past two months. It sucks that I can't share unless I'm being interviewed. Just gotta wait and hope that I get the opportunity. Thanks for the info!The info is on their website.
If you get an II to the Twin Cities, they will tell you how you can submit updates, which you can only do prior to your interview.
Application Process
med.umn.edu
how worried should i be for the SJT, twin cities is the only school that I'm applying to that requires the SJT and I already submitted my secondary. If i don't do well, how bad would it be towards my application value. Taking the exam on the 17th
From their SJT email they sent on 8/4how worried should i be for the SJT, twin cities is the only school that I'm applying to that requires the SJT and I already submitted my secondary. If i don't do well, how bad would it be towards my application value. Taking the exam on the 17th
“Though we are not requiring the SJT and we are not utilizing test scores in the evaluation of candidates, we are encouraging you to take the exam so we can continue to better understand this examination's importance to holistic review. We believe in the expansion of the current application contents (AMCAS application, supplemental questions, letters of recommendation, etc.) utilized in the evaluation process and strongly believe the SJT will provide us with the necessary information to strengthen the holistic review process.”
D
deleted1017120
As Worker_Bee_4952 noted, the SJT isn't required for UMN - TC (I think only one school in the country actually requires it). UMN has mentioned this several times on their website and in emails.how worried should i be for the SJT, twin cities is the only school that I'm applying to that requires the SJT and I already submitted my secondary. If i don't do well, how bad would it be towards my application value. Taking the exam on the 17th
They want people to take it because they're using them as a test sample to justify implementing it as a required test in the future.
D
deleted1017120
No kidding. Both MN campuses seem really late this year.Anxiously waiting for an II
I'm pretty sure I got both my II's by this time last year.
I thought I saw somewhere on their website that they are inviting people to interview starting in August. Now it says II will be sent out in early Sept. It seems like they are following last year's timelineNo kidding. Both MN campuses seem really late this year.
I'm pretty sure I got both my II's by this time last year.
D
deleted1017120
I know that Duluth was much faster than this last year.I thought I saw somewhere on their website that they are inviting people to interview starting in August. Now it says II will be sent out in early Sept. It seems like they are following last year's timeline
I got my II at the end of August and interviewed around Sept 13th last year.
Twin Cities was notably slower (my interview was Oct 8th), so they might not actually be late compared to last year, but I was told that last year was slow compared to the years prior.
I heard that they changed how they review the apps for interviews this year. That might be why the timeline is different this year? idkI know that Duluth was much faster than this last year.
I got my II at the end of August and interviewed around Sept 13th last year.
Twin Cities was notably slower (my interview was Oct 8th), so they might not actually be late compared to last year, but I was told that last year was slow compared to the years prior.
On the admission website, it says there is a review before they forward it to be further reviewed for an II.
In last year's thread, it seems like II came around 9/10.I know that Duluth was much faster than this last year.
I got my II at the end of August and interviewed around Sept 13th last year.
Twin Cities was notably slower (my interview was Oct 8th), so they might not actually be late compared to last year, but I was told that last year was slow compared to the years prioIn
minnesotavikings84
New Member
Shoot, I thought it was going to be this week for sure!
Just got rejected ❤️
Still haven't received a secondary?
I got the "University of Minnesota Medical School - Campus Selection" email on 8/4 and responded to it the same day. I also got the "University of Minnesota Medical School-Twin Cities - Verified Application" email the same day. I've been waiting for a secondary since. Nothing in spam, I check regularly.
I have a 505 MCAT & 3.92 GPA, graduated from a US accredited college. I shouldn't have flagged anything in their screened secondaries.
Should I email admissions? It's been a month now.
I got the "University of Minnesota Medical School - Campus Selection" email on 8/4 and responded to it the same day. I also got the "University of Minnesota Medical School-Twin Cities - Verified Application" email the same day. I've been waiting for a secondary since. Nothing in spam, I check regularly.
I have a 505 MCAT & 3.92 GPA, graduated from a US accredited college. I shouldn't have flagged anything in their screened secondaries.
Should I email admissions? It's been a month now.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted1009115
I would at least wait out the holiday weekend and see if it comes on Tuesday. They do this initial screen manually, and things typically take longer at UMN as the cycle progresses because of the volume of applications. Try not to worry too much, you will get a secondary!Still haven't received a secondary?
I got the "University of Minnesota Medical School - Campus Selection" email on 8/4 and responded to it the same day. I also got the "University of Minnesota Medical School-Twin Cities - Verified Application" email the same day. I've been waiting for a secondary since. Nothing in spam, I check regularly.
I have a 505 MCAT & 3.92 GPA, graduated from a US accredited college. I shouldn't have flagged anything in their screened secondaries.
Should I email admissions? It's been a month now.
Pelicancan
Full Member
One way to think about admissions timelines is to remember that admissions is heavily involved in matriculation and orientation for incoming students. Even though applications are being processed, admin is VERY busy through July/August. The first years only started classes a week or 2 ago so admin is probably just now starting to ramp up for next years cycle.
Are you OOS? I responded to the campus selection email on 8/19 and got the secondary 8/24. I am IS.Still haven't received a secondary?
I got the "University of Minnesota Medical School - Campus Selection" email on 8/4 and responded to it the same day. I also got the "University of Minnesota Medical School-Twin Cities - Verified Application" email the same day. I've been waiting for a secondary since. Nothing in spam, I check regularly.
I have a 505 MCAT & 3.92 GPA, graduated from a US accredited college. I shouldn't have flagged anything in their screened secondaries.
Should I email admissions? It's been a month now.
Yes, people who send it in october last year got in.Not realizing it would take time to get a secondary after campus selection, I did campus selection on 8/13 and didn't get a secondary from Twin Cities until today (9/7). Is it still worth applying?
Absolutely! I am OOS and just received my secondary from Twin Cities yesterday (verified back in July, added MN in August). They want it within two weeks so pre-write and be ready. Good luck!Not realizing it would take time to get a secondary after campus selection, I did campus selection on 8/13 and didn't get a secondary from Twin Cities until today (9/7). Is it still worth applying?
Anemic_Vampire
Full Member
II! IS reapplicant
II just now, IS
Nice! When were you both complete? And stats?II! IS reapplicant
D
deleted1101558
Does anyone know if they typically send II's to IS applicants first?
Hi, all, I just got an interview invite for 9/16, 22, or 23. I'm an in state nontraditional applicant with an above average MCAT and prerequisite courses completed at U of MN with A range GPA. Currently volunteering and scribing, contributing to literature review/research through a clinic. My primary/secondary application was completed July 19th.
Anemic_Vampire
Full Member
Complete 7/15. LM 73Nice! When were you both complete? And stats?
7/9 LM 70Nice! When were you both complete? And stats?
Last edited:
It would certainly seem that way. I mean it is a state school so it would make sense if they prioritized in state applications for review and II first and then proceeded to review OOS.Does anyone know if they typically send II's to IS applicants first?
On the other hand, Wisconsin is sending IIs to OOS apps firstIt would certainly seem that way. I mean it is a state school so it would make sense if they prioritized in state applications for review and II first and then proceeded to review OOS.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted1017120
That's probably because of state law.On the other hand, Wisconsin is sending IIs to OOS apps first
They have a particular way that they have to verify residency status due to the law in Wisconsin, which pushes them to process early OOS applications first.
Just got a pre-II Rejection 🙁, OOS
I'm IS, complete 8/1, and LM 72. I have not heard anything from them. Do we know with certainty that UMN will send either II or R at each step in the process, or do they sometimes hold applications and re-review later in the cycle? I know it's early, but I'm getting slightly anxious.
D
deleted1009115
Last year they went largely chronologically. As you can see above, the folks who got IIs were complete a few weeks before you, so you will probably have to wait at least a few weeks to hear back, bearing in mind that the review process slows down as the cycle goes on. It also seems like rejections are typically (but not always) sent out more quickly than IIs, so no news is good news right now.I'm IS, complete 8/1, and LM 72. I have not heard anything from them. Do we know with certainty that UMN will send either II or R at each step in the process, or do they sometimes hold applications and re-review later in the cycle? I know it's early, but I'm getting slightly anxious.
I know this process is extremely tough, but try not to be anxious quite yet. It is very early and they likely have not reviewed your app yet.
I am IS LM 70, and was complete 7/14 and heard back on 9/7. They probably haven't looked at your app yet if you haven't heard.I'm IS, complete 8/1, and LM 72. I have not heard anything from them. Do we know with certainty that UMN will send either II or R at each step in the process, or do they sometimes hold applications and re-review later in the cycle? I know it's early, but I'm getting slightly anxious.