2021-2022 Minnesota, Twin Cities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pre-II rejection, complete 7/27 OOS but from Wisconsin (born in MN, LOTS of ties to the state). shoutout to MN for rejecting me exactly one month after WI rejected me. I love the midwest 🥰

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Pre-II rejection, submitted in mid-July. But dang, email was sent at 7:40 AM on a Saturday

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
will say though that I'm OOS but I'm extremely passionate about primary care and have family in minnesota

Anybody know the amount of applications this year compared to last year? Last year was insane I heard, hoping its cooled down quite a bit.

Reactions: 1 user
I got an interview invite!!!! The available dates are TOMORROW or December 14th. Which one do I do????

• Wow
I got an interview invite!!!! The available dates are TOMORROW or December 14th. Which one do I do????
I would do tomorrow! It's rolling admissions, so the sooner you interview the better your chance.

Reactions: 3 users
II! OOS but very strong ties to school and state. Complete mid-late July. Earliest date was tomorrow(!) but it had already filled up :(

Wow tomorrow?? Someone must have cancelled, mines on December 7th

Has anyone heard of post II decisions this past week (9/23)? It seems like they got back to the first batch and then took a pause.

Has anyone heard of post II decisions this past week (9/23)? It seems like they got back to the first batch and then took a pause.
On the portal they're saying a 10-12 week wait time unfortunately, i'm guessing sooner rather than later for the 9/23 batch though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I strongly suspect more calls will be going out tomorrow or Friday.

During my interview (9/23), adcoms said that they will get back to us with a decision between 6-8 weeks. Anybody else heard the same thing? I am kinda confused about the conflicting info that's on the application portal that says 10-12 weeks... The wait is killing me lol.

During my interview (9/23), adcoms said that they will get back to us with a decision between 6-8 weeks. Anybody else heard the same thing? I am kinda confused about the conflicting info that's on the application portal that says 10-12 weeks... The wait is killing me lol.
Last year they told me 6-8 weeks at my interview and it took almost 14 weeks. It sucked lol.

• Wow
Just got the call!!! I guess I'm gonna be a doctor!!!
IS, GPA 3.7X, MCAT 51X, completed in July, interviewed on 9/23

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Just got the call! My first acceptance after 3 cycles! 😁

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Took the last SJT exam in Oct, will it be considered to be offered an II?

I also wish to update the admission because I recently moved to MN with family and got a new clinical job. I guess I can only hope for the II then update?

Took the last SJT exam in Oct, will it be considered to be offered an II?

I also wish to update the admission because I recently moved to MN with family and got a new clinical job. I guess I can only hope for the II then update?
The SJT isn't really a factor but the moving to MN is a big factor. You can only update them after an II that you moved here. I would take the chance and email admissions to tell them that and maybe they can do something with that information.

Nothing like a Sunday night rejection
Submitted Secondary 7/31

• Care
Anyone who got the call last week receive any emails or any other form of confirmation? They said they would reach out with more info in the next few days but I still haven't heard anything.

Anyone who got the call last week receive any emails or any other form of confirmation? They said they would reach out with more info in the next few days but I still haven't heard anything.
I haven't received anything yet

Hey lovely applicants! Good luck to those of you still waiting to hear and congratulations to those of you accepted! Reminder that most communal living situation applications are on a rolling basis so apply as soon as you get in to live with other med students. Info here for NSN: Apply Now! | Nu Sigma Nu, University of Minnesota

Other communal living situations include Phi Chi and Phi Rho!

Welcome to our school future docs!

Reactions: 3 users
I guess all three of us are in the same boat. I got the call last week but did not receive anything yet either.
I wonder if this means anything...?
fwiw i got a call on Friday (11/19) and found an acceptance email in my (gmail) spam folder late last night (11/23)

fwiw i got a call on Friday (11/19) and found an acceptance email in my (gmail) spam folder late last night (11/23)
Yup, I received the acceptance email last night as well :)

• Love
Those that were interviewed already, how would you rate the stressfulness of the interview and MMI? Also, for the MMI on the document they sent, it says "Candidates will review all of the station questions/scenarios during the Interview Day welcome presentation." They tell you the questions and scenarios before you even start? This seems weird... won't people start looking stuff up? Also, it says each station is 8 min, is there like 2 min to read the prompt and take notes before each one?

Lastly, did you find taking a lot of time talking was better or save some "ammo" and talking points for follow-up questions?

Thank you all!

Those that were interviewed already, how would you rate the stressfulness of the interview and MMI? Also, for the MMI on the document they sent, it says "Candidates will review all of the station questions/scenarios during the Interview Day welcome presentation." They tell you the questions and scenarios before you even start? This seems weird... won't people start looking stuff up? Also, it says each station is 8 min, is there like 2 min to read the prompt and take notes before each one?

Lastly, did you find taking a lot of time talking was better or save some "ammo" and talking points for follow-up questions?

Thank you all!
I'm also wondering with the 6 minutes you're given to respond on what happens if you finish early. Do you get to chat with the interviewer, do they ask follow up questions, is there awkward silence lol? First time doing an MMI too.

Last edited:

Thank you all!
I interviewed last year, so they may have switched it up a little bit, but my interview was not stressful at all! I actually had fun with the MMI. This year, the stations are staffed by standardized patients instead of a mix of faculty and students (but that could be more or less stressful depending on how you look at it).

The presentation is at the beginning of the interview and they put all of the prompts on the screen for ~10 min. You can take a picture of the screen. You could theoretically start looking stuff up, but I honestly doubt it would help based on the nature of the questions. This is your time to take notes and plan out answers. There is also 4 minutes or so between stations to continue thinking about upcoming questions.

At the beginning of each station, the interviewer will read which prompt they have. You can either start talking right away (since you’ve already had some prep time) or ask for a minute to gather your thoughts. It worked best for me to say everything I was thinking in ~5 or so minutes, and then respond to follow up questions in the last few minutes. Almost every station was very conversational!

I interviewed last year, so they may have switched it up a little bit, but my interview was not stressful at all! I actually had fun with the MMI. This year, the stations are staffed by standardized patients instead of a mix of faculty and students (but that could be more or less stressful depending on how you look at it).

The presentation is at the beginning of the interview and they put all of the prompts on the screen for ~10 min. You can take a picture of the screen. You could theoretically start looking stuff up, but I honestly doubt it would help based on the nature of the questions. This is your time to take notes and plan out answers. There is also 4 minutes or so between stations to continue thinking about upcoming questions.

At the beginning of each station, the interviewer will read which prompt they have. You can either start talking right away (since you’ve already had some prep time) or ask for a minute to gather your thoughts. It worked best for me to say everything I was thinking in ~5 or so minutes, and then respond to follow up questions in the last few minutes. Almost every station was very conversational!
That is very helpful! Thank you!

Thank you all!
I interviewed in October. It was an incredibly relaxed and comfortable environment. Stressfulness level = 2.

Yes, they give you all the MMI prompts at the welcome presentation. They actually gave them in a shared file, so I just kept that window up throughout the remainder of the interview. There's really nothing to "look up" because there are no right or wrong answers to the questions. They want to see how you handle difficult situations, how you treat other people, etc.

On average I probably used 4ish minutes to give my initial response, and then the interviewers had follow up questions. I was worried about the awkward silence thing too, but at 1 station we finished our discussion with about 45s left and the interviewer just said it was ok to mute and turn off my camera while we wait for the next station, and then they did the same. I think using the whole time to give your initial response would be too much. Leave a little time for the follow-up questions. The more variety they get to hear from you the better off you are.

I was complete late august, IS, LM 75 and haven’t heard a peep from UMN. Has anyone submitted an update letter for here? Do you just email it to the admissions email? I don’t see a spot in the application portal

I was complete late august, IS, LM 75 and haven’t heard a peep from UMN. Has anyone submitted an update letter for here? Do you just email it to the admissions email? I don’t see a spot in the application portal
It seems like they only accept update letters from those who have an II. They send instructions via email about 3 days prior to the interview date regarding how to send an update. Hopefully, you will hear soon!

I strongly suspect more calls will be going out tomorrow or Friday.
Any future predictions? Waiting is hard. Any speculation/guess/rumor welcome as well lol. Also thanks for taking the time to write responses, they are quite helpful

Hey all, congrats to those who have received IIs/been accepted! Currently waiting on II, I am IS, strong ties, non-trad. I completed secondary app on 09/21, within 2 weeks of receiving the invite, but haven't received an II yet. Does anyone have any idea as to why I haven't heard anything after ~10 weeks, and whether there's hope to believe I will get an II this go around? Does anyone know how many spots are left too? Thank you!

Any future predictions? Waiting is hard. Any speculation/guess/rumor welcome as well lol. Also thanks for taking the time to write responses, they are quite helpful
They usually get into the groove of calling every other week, but things do get a little off around the holidays so it’s tough to predict!

Waiting is usually a good sign for UMN, because they frequently send out Rs and WLs more quickly than As, but I know it totally sucks. Hang in there!!

Hey all, congrats to those who have received IIs/been accepted! Currently waiting on II, I am IS, strong ties, non-trad. I completed secondary app on 09/21, within 2 weeks of receiving the invite, but haven't received an II yet. Does anyone have any idea as to why I haven't heard anything after ~10 weeks, and whether there's hope to believe I will get an II this go around? Does anyone know how many spots are left too? Thank you!
You submitted quite late and they most likely haven’t reviewed your app yet. There is definitely still hope for receiving an II. I’m not sure exactly how many spots are left, but the last time someone reported an II here they were still scheduling in December and there are 11 more interview dates in January and February.

Last edited by a moderator:
You submitted quite late and they most likely haven’t reviewed your app yet. There is definitely still hope for receiving an II. I’m not sure exactly how many spots are left, but the last time someone reported an II here they were still scheduling in December and there are 11 interview more dates in January and February.
Thank you so much, I appreciate your response!

Submitted end of July within two weeks of receiving the secondary, IS, stats at and above their avg, on gap year 2 with good experiences. Haven't heard anything. My friends and colleagues have all already been interviewed and it's really hitting me hard now. Anyone else in the same boat :cryi:

• Care
Submitted end of July within two weeks of receiving the secondary, IS, stats at and above their avg, on gap year 2 with good experiences. Haven't heard anything. My friends and colleagues have all already been interviewed and it's really hitting me hard now. Anyone else in the same boat :cryi:
I am in the same boat as you! <3 hoping for the best for both of us!