You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2021-2022 Minnesota, Twin Cities
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Pre-II rejection, submitted in mid-July. But dang, email was sent at 7:40 AM on a Saturday
our sleep schedules work hard but Adcoms work harderPre-II rejection, submitted in mid-July. But dang, email was sent at 7:40 AM on a Saturday
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
will say though that I'm OOS but I'm extremely passionate about primary care and have family in minnesota
greenteaapple
Full Member
What Excel sheet is this referring to? I'm itching to look up other schools now lolYou sure you want to know? The excel sheet for 2021 said 27%. It was even worse the year before.
Anybody know the amount of applications this year compared to last year? Last year was insane I heard, hoping its cooled down quite a bit.
I'm guessing they are referring to this spreadsheet.What Excel sheet is this referring to? I'm itching to look up other schools now lol
I would do tomorrow! It's rolling admissions, so the sooner you interview the better your chance.I got an interview invite!!!! The available dates are TOMORROW or December 14th. Which one do I do????
Wow tomorrow?? Someone must have cancelled, mines on December 7thI got an interview invite!!!! The available dates are TOMORROW or December 14th. Which one do I do????
tomatosrus
New Member
Has anyone heard of post II decisions this past week (9/23)? It seems like they got back to the first batch and then took a pause.
On the portal they're saying a 10-12 week wait time unfortunately, i'm guessing sooner rather than later for the 9/23 batch though.Has anyone heard of post II decisions this past week (9/23)? It seems like they got back to the first batch and then took a pause.
D
deleted1009115
I strongly suspect more calls will be going out tomorrow or Friday.
During my interview (9/23), adcoms said that they will get back to us with a decision between 6-8 weeks. Anybody else heard the same thing? I am kinda confused about the conflicting info that's on the application portal that says 10-12 weeks... The wait is killing me lol.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted1009115
Last year they told me 6-8 weeks at my interview and it took almost 14 weeks. It sucked lol.During my interview (9/23), adcoms said that they will get back to us with a decision between 6-8 weeks. Anybody else heard the same thing? I am kinda confused about the conflicting info that's on the application portal that says 10-12 weeks... The wait is killing me lol.
Congrats!! You're a rock star!!Just got the call!!! I guess I'm gonna be a doctor!!!
IS, GPA 3.7X, MCAT 51X, completed in July, interviewed on 9/23
Congratulations!Just got the call!!! I guess I'm gonna be a doctor!!!
IS, GPA 3.7X, MCAT 51X, completed in July, interviewed on 9/23
Scooter817
Full Member
Just got the call! My first acceptance after 3 cycles! 😁
CONGRATS my future classmate/colleague!!Just got the call! My first acceptance after 3 cycles! 😁
hammerlindjo
Full Member
CONGRATULATIONS!!! YOU DESERVE IT!!Just got the call! My first acceptance after 3 cycles! 😁
When did you interview??
Scooter817
Full Member
I interviewed 9/21!CONGRATULATIONS!!! YOU DESERVE IT!!
When did you interview??
Took the last SJT exam in Oct, will it be considered to be offered an II?
I also wish to update the admission because I recently moved to MN with family and got a new clinical job. I guess I can only hope for the II then update?
I also wish to update the admission because I recently moved to MN with family and got a new clinical job. I guess I can only hope for the II then update?
The SJT isn't really a factor but the moving to MN is a big factor. You can only update them after an II that you moved here. I would take the chance and email admissions to tell them that and maybe they can do something with that information.Took the last SJT exam in Oct, will it be considered to be offered an II?
I also wish to update the admission because I recently moved to MN with family and got a new clinical job. I guess I can only hope for the II then update?
Nothing like a Sunday night rejection
Submitted Secondary 7/31
Submitted Secondary 7/31
GarysArcanine
New Member
Anyone who got the call last week receive any emails or any other form of confirmation? They said they would reach out with more info in the next few days but I still haven't heard anything.
Scooter817
Full Member
I haven't received anything yetAnyone who got the call last week receive any emails or any other form of confirmation? They said they would reach out with more info in the next few days but I still haven't heard anything.
I guess all three of us are in the same boat. I got the call last week but did not receive anything yet either.I haven't received anything yet
I wonder if this means anything...?
Hey lovely applicants! Good luck to those of you still waiting to hear and congratulations to those of you accepted! Reminder that most communal living situation applications are on a rolling basis so apply as soon as you get in to live with other med students. Info here for NSN: Apply Now! | Nu Sigma Nu, University of Minnesota
Other communal living situations include Phi Chi and Phi Rho!
Welcome to our school future docs!
Other communal living situations include Phi Chi and Phi Rho!
Welcome to our school future docs!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can we take notes during the MMI?
D
deleted1101558
Yes!Can we take notes during the MMI?
fwiw i got a call on Friday (11/19) and found an acceptance email in my (gmail) spam folder late last night (11/23)I guess all three of us are in the same boat. I got the call last week but did not receive anything yet either.
I wonder if this means anything...?
Yup, I received the acceptance email last night as well 🙂fwiw i got a call on Friday (11/19) and found an acceptance email in my (gmail) spam folder late last night (11/23)
Those that were interviewed already, how would you rate the stressfulness of the interview and MMI? Also, for the MMI on the document they sent, it says "Candidates will review all of the station questions/scenarios during the Interview Day welcome presentation." They tell you the questions and scenarios before you even start? This seems weird... won't people start looking stuff up? Also, it says each station is 8 min, is there like 2 min to read the prompt and take notes before each one?
Lastly, did you find taking a lot of time talking was better or save some "ammo" and talking points for follow-up questions?
Thank you all!
Lastly, did you find taking a lot of time talking was better or save some "ammo" and talking points for follow-up questions?
Thank you all!
I'm also wondering with the 6 minutes you're given to respond on what happens if you finish early. Do you get to chat with the interviewer, do they ask follow up questions, is there awkward silence lol? First time doing an MMI too.Those that were interviewed already, how would you rate the stressfulness of the interview and MMI? Also, for the MMI on the document they sent, it says "Candidates will review all of the station questions/scenarios during the Interview Day welcome presentation." They tell you the questions and scenarios before you even start? This seems weird... won't people start looking stuff up? Also, it says each station is 8 min, is there like 2 min to read the prompt and take notes before each one?
Lastly, did you find taking a lot of time talking was better or save some "ammo" and talking points for follow-up questions?
Thank you all!
Last edited:
D
deleted1009115
I interviewed last year, so they may have switched it up a little bit, but my interview was not stressful at all! I actually had fun with the MMI. This year, the stations are staffed by standardized patients instead of a mix of faculty and students (but that could be more or less stressful depending on how you look at it).Those that were interviewed already, how would you rate the stressfulness of the interview and MMI? Also, for the MMI on the document they sent, it says "Candidates will review all of the station questions/scenarios during the Interview Day welcome presentation." They tell you the questions and scenarios before you even start? This seems weird... won't people start looking stuff up? Also, it says each station is 8 min, is there like 2 min to read the prompt and take notes before each one?
Lastly, did you find taking a lot of time talking was better or save some "ammo" and talking points for follow-up questions?
Thank you all!
The presentation is at the beginning of the interview and they put all of the prompts on the screen for ~10 min. You can take a picture of the screen. You could theoretically start looking stuff up, but I honestly doubt it would help based on the nature of the questions. This is your time to take notes and plan out answers. There is also 4 minutes or so between stations to continue thinking about upcoming questions.
At the beginning of each station, the interviewer will read which prompt they have. You can either start talking right away (since you’ve already had some prep time) or ask for a minute to gather your thoughts. It worked best for me to say everything I was thinking in ~5 or so minutes, and then respond to follow up questions in the last few minutes. Almost every station was very conversational!
That is very helpful! Thank you!I interviewed last year, so they may have switched it up a little bit, but my interview was not stressful at all! I actually had fun with the MMI. This year, the stations are staffed by standardized patients instead of a mix of faculty and students (but that could be more or less stressful depending on how you look at it).
The presentation is at the beginning of the interview and they put all of the prompts on the screen for ~10 min. You can take a picture of the screen. You could theoretically start looking stuff up, but I honestly doubt it would help based on the nature of the questions. This is your time to take notes and plan out answers. There is also 4 minutes or so between stations to continue thinking about upcoming questions.
At the beginning of each station, the interviewer will read which prompt they have. You can either start talking right away (since you’ve already had some prep time) or ask for a minute to gather your thoughts. It worked best for me to say everything I was thinking in ~5 or so minutes, and then respond to follow up questions in the last few minutes. Almost every station was very conversational!
hammerlindjo
Full Member
I interviewed in October. It was an incredibly relaxed and comfortable environment. Stressfulness level = 2.Those that were interviewed already, how would you rate the stressfulness of the interview and MMI? Also, for the MMI on the document they sent, it says "Candidates will review all of the station questions/scenarios during the Interview Day welcome presentation." They tell you the questions and scenarios before you even start? This seems weird... won't people start looking stuff up? Also, it says each station is 8 min, is there like 2 min to read the prompt and take notes before each one?
Lastly, did you find taking a lot of time talking was better or save some "ammo" and talking points for follow-up questions?
Thank you all!
Yes, they give you all the MMI prompts at the welcome presentation. They actually gave them in a shared file, so I just kept that window up throughout the remainder of the interview. There's really nothing to "look up" because there are no right or wrong answers to the questions. They want to see how you handle difficult situations, how you treat other people, etc.
On average I probably used 4ish minutes to give my initial response, and then the interviewers had follow up questions. I was worried about the awkward silence thing too, but at 1 station we finished our discussion with about 45s left and the interviewer just said it was ok to mute and turn off my camera while we wait for the next station, and then they did the same. I think using the whole time to give your initial response would be too much. Leave a little time for the follow-up questions. The more variety they get to hear from you the better off you are.
med applicant 123
Full Member
I was complete late august, IS, LM 75 and haven’t heard a peep from UMN. Has anyone submitted an update letter for here? Do you just email it to the admissions email? I don’t see a spot in the application portal
tomatosrus
New Member
It seems like they only accept update letters from those who have an II. They send instructions via email about 3 days prior to the interview date regarding how to send an update. Hopefully, you will hear soon!I was complete late august, IS, LM 75 and haven’t heard a peep from UMN. Has anyone submitted an update letter for here? Do you just email it to the admissions email? I don’t see a spot in the application portal
tomatosrus
New Member
Any future predictions? Waiting is hard. Any speculation/guess/rumor welcome as well lol. Also thanks for taking the time to write responses, they are quite helpfulI strongly suspect more calls will be going out tomorrow or Friday.
MediHopeful
Full Member
Hey all, congrats to those who have received IIs/been accepted! Currently waiting on II, I am IS, strong ties, non-trad. I completed secondary app on 09/21, within 2 weeks of receiving the invite, but haven't received an II yet. Does anyone have any idea as to why I haven't heard anything after ~10 weeks, and whether there's hope to believe I will get an II this go around? Does anyone know how many spots are left too? Thank you!
D
deleted1009115
They usually get into the groove of calling every other week, but things do get a little off around the holidays so it’s tough to predict!Any future predictions? Waiting is hard. Any speculation/guess/rumor welcome as well lol. Also thanks for taking the time to write responses, they are quite helpful
Waiting is usually a good sign for UMN, because they frequently send out Rs and WLs more quickly than As, but I know it totally sucks. Hang in there!!
D
deleted1009115
You submitted quite late and they most likely haven’t reviewed your app yet. There is definitely still hope for receiving an II. I’m not sure exactly how many spots are left, but the last time someone reported an II here they were still scheduling in December and there are 11 more interview dates in January and February.Hey all, congrats to those who have received IIs/been accepted! Currently waiting on II, I am IS, strong ties, non-trad. I completed secondary app on 09/21, within 2 weeks of receiving the invite, but haven't received an II yet. Does anyone have any idea as to why I haven't heard anything after ~10 weeks, and whether there's hope to believe I will get an II this go around? Does anyone know how many spots are left too? Thank you!
Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
MediHopeful
Full Member
Thank you so much, I appreciate your response!You submitted quite late and they most likely haven’t reviewed your app yet. There is definitely still hope for receiving an II. I’m not sure exactly how many spots are left, but the last time someone reported an II here they were still scheduling in December and there are 11 interview more dates in January and February.
iced_coffee_brunette_
Full Member
Submitted end of July within two weeks of receiving the secondary, IS, stats at and above their avg, on gap year 2 with good experiences. Haven't heard anything. My friends and colleagues have all already been interviewed and it's really hitting me hard now. Anyone else in the same boat 😢
bananamacaroon
Full Member
I am in the same boat as you! <3 hoping for the best for both of us!Submitted end of July within two weeks of receiving the secondary, IS, stats at and above their avg, on gap year 2 with good experiences. Haven't heard anything. My friends and colleagues have all already been interviewed and it's really hitting me hard now. Anyone else in the same boat 😢
II just now! IS, complete early august
johndoe2022
New Member
What phone number did the call come from?