2021-2022 Minnesota, Twin Cities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone. I Interviewed today and sent an update to the email they told us. I also sent a follow up email to that email to make sure they received it and got no response. I just wanted to make sure to those that sent an update if you received some type of confirmation or not?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. I Interviewed today and sent an update to the email they told us. I also sent a follow up email to that email to make sure they received it and got no response. I just wanted to make sure to those that sent an update if you received some type of confirmation or not?
I received confirmation of my emailed update 2 days later.

Reactions: 1 user
I received confirmation of my emailed update 2 days later.
I sent the email a few weeks ago and followed up yesterday and nothing. What do you think I should do? I do not want to be annoying lol

Members don't see this ad :)
By the way, I got accepted with an SJT score of 1! (despite getting a top quartile casper score) Don't worry about that aspect of your application in the slightest. I hope they use my data point as a reason to not require it in the future :lol:

• Haha
Have they been consistent about giving post II decisions in 6-8 weeks this cycle?

Have they been consistent about giving post II decisions in 6-8 weeks this cycle?
I believe the estimated wait time is 8-10 weeks right now. Last round of As went out to people who had been waiting 8 weeks or just over.

I'm at just under 8 weeks since my interview and I haven't heard anything yet.

I wouldn't expect anything before the 8 week mark. They might even stretch it out to 10-12 weeks.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all! Quick question on the MMI, the interview information states it is 8 minutes per station however I am curious if this is a total of 8 minutes with the interviewer or if that is 2 minutes of prep and 6 minutes with the interviewer. I understand if this would be included in the NDA and cannot be answered, either way appreciate the help!
There is time allotted at the beginning of the MMI and between stations for you to see the prompts and prepare responses. At the beginning of each station, the interviewer tells you which prompt they have. It’s up to you how you want to allocate the time—you can ask for a minute to collect your thoughts or you can start speaking right away.

There is time allotted at the beginning of the MMI and between stations for you to see the prompts and prepare responses. At the beginning of each station, the interviewer tells you which prompt they have. It’s up to you how you want to allocate the time—you can ask for a minute to collect your thoughts or you can start speaking right away.
Are all MMI stations graded? This time there were 6 MMI stations rather than the 9 I was expecting. Is one station (your lowest score) still dropped like previously or all they all graded?

Are all MMI stations graded? This time there were 6 MMI stations rather than the 9 I was expecting. Is one station (your lowest score) still dropped like previously or all they all graded?
Oh, they cut down to 6 prompts? That's news to me. I am not sure if they grade all of them or if one is dropped--sorry! Are you sure that they previously dropped your lowest station?

Oh, they cut down to 6 prompts? That's news to me. I am not sure if they grade all of them or if one is dropped--sorry! Are you sure that they previously dropped your lowest station?
This was the old way they did it and it mentions there's a "free" station and a "rest station" so out of 8 (excluding the rest station) they evaluate 7. Now that there's 6 i'm not sure how it works. Here's the old way: https://www.med.umn.edu/sites/med.umn.edu/files/ms-tc-admissions-mmi-presentation.pdf

Last edited:
I asked and looks like everything is graded, nothing dropped!

Wait List, interviewed early October. 3.8x 52x IS. Definitely my top school so hoping the waitlist movement is a little better than last year.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
Wait List, interviewed early October. 3.8x 52x IS. Definitely my top school so hoping the waitlist movement is a little better than last year.
Waitlisted with those stats, I'm sorry. this is so scary

I
I'm sorry to hear that... what date did you interview? i also interviewed in oct. so i am anxiously waiting.....

Does anyone know if all pre-II R emails are the same? That is, are they written up differently based on the applicant or just a standard email regardless of the applicant’s “background?”

Does anyone know if all pre-II R emails are the same? That is, are they written up differently based on the applicant or just a standard email regardless of the applicant’s “background?”
They're mostly the same but with a few sentences changed.

Hey there, unfortunately, I was a recipient of a pre-II rejection letter last year. True to the Midwest, it was a lovely and incredibly kind letter. However, to the best of my knowledge, it was the same letter for everyone. I hope not, but if it was the receipt of your very own rejection letter that prompted this post, I highly recommend requesting a meeting with admissions to go over your application and identify areas for improvement if you plan to reapply. I did this and it was very helpful. I think they are quite open to this, particularly for in-state students, which judging by your user name, I am guessing you are. That, or a glutton for punishment :) best of luck with the remainder of this cycle!

Reactions: 1 users
Just wanted to put it out there that they are having current students make acceptance calls, so there won’t be a predictable phone number/area code like there was last year!
Thanks for letting us know! I have a quick question: I interviewed on 11/04, when do you think I'll hear anything? Are they closer to being at the 10-12 week wait time?

Thanks for letting us know! I have a quick question: I interviewed on 11/04, when do you think I'll hear anything? Are they closer to being at the 10-12 week wait time?
I think they are still in the 8-10 week range. I wouldn’t expect to hear anything until after the holidays at least, but I will update if I get any more specific info.

I think they are still in the 8-10 week range. I wouldn’t expect to hear anything until after the holidays at least, but I will update if I get any more specific info.
I just want to say it is so incredibly kind of you to take the time to make these updates, especially during the midst of finals! Thank you so much!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
You've been a great help! Thank you so much!

• Care
Hi all! I received an II on Thursday morning. I submitted my secondary 8/4 and am an IS nontraditional applicant. Interview dates were all for late January. Truly had given up hope that the U of MN would get back to me, so I am elated, stunned, and unbelievably grateful. I received a pre-II rejection last year, which hit hard. I want to encourage all of those folks who are reading this to keep trying. Be persistent. Believe in yourself. Believe in your ability to improve healthcare and contribute to other humans in a manner that alleviates their suffering. If you’re needing a little extra inspiration, watch 14 Peaks on Netflix. It revived me and I hope it will inspire all of you during this especially challenging process.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone know if the interview is open or closed file? I understand it's MMI format, just curious how well they'll know my application.

Does anyone know if the interview is open or closed file? I understand it's MMI format, just curious how well they'll know my application.
By nature MMIs are traditionally closed file. The mini interview is also closed file.

Pre-II Rejection for MSTP. I really loved their program so heart = broken

• Care
Any predictions for the next batch of calls…?

Any predictions for the next batch of calls…?
Probably either tomorrow or after the New Year.

I would be surprised if the school was doing anything the week of Christmas.

Do people know when most post ii rejections get sent. If we interviewed >8 weeks ago, is it unlikely to get flat rejected at this point

Has anyone past 8/4 submission gotten an II, I submitted 8/12 and haven't heard anything nor heard anything about anyone hearing back about interviews after then

Has anyone past 8/4 submission gotten an II, I submitted 8/12 and haven't heard anything nor heard anything about anyone hearing back about interviews after then
I was complete on 8/10 and received an II early November and interviewed in early December.

I interviewed 10/5, and still haven't heard. Sorry for not having better news but I think it might be awhile, since I'm currently at the 11 week mark.

I just got the A for their MD-PhD Program this morning!!🤩 Are there any admitted student groups for UMN?

• Love
Just wanted to let everyone know that I got waitlisted last night. Interviewed about early October. IS. I'm really disappointed, to say the least. The top school for me.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Just got an email saying I'd receive my decision closer to 10-12 weeks post-interview. My interview was exactly 10 weeks ago today. Good meme.

Reactions: 5 users
Waitlisted and interviewed early October (IS). Feeling so disappointed in myself. Hopefully there's movement this year.

• Care