2021-2022 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM-Jonesboro)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just a random question, if people were completed around the same time you were completed but you didn’t receive an ii, but they did, are you done with that school and they won’t accept you?
No, you can receive an interview later.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
II from OOS. Secondary submitted late June, but completed 8/3 😁 Mid 60 LizzyM score…

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Where do yall think I stand in terms of getting an Interview from this school?
IS, 3.4 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA, 504 MCAT
Submitted secondary beginning of July

Just a random question, if people were completed around the same time you were completed but you didn’t receive an ii, but they did, are you done with that school and they won’t accept you?
Nope! Various people will get II and acceptances at various times.

Do you get complete emails from NYITCOM? I never did but submitted my secondary in July.

Do you get complete emails from NYITCOM? I never did but submitted my secondary in July.
They never sent complete, only that your secondary was received or that it was confirming that your secondary was sent...something like that

I got a complete email. “NYITCOM- Supplemental application now complete” was the title of the email

Just got an II email! 3.5 505 OOS

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be emailing as well as they suggested that we have 5 days to book these interviews. Seems like they only had one week scheduled so far

Mine says that too! I might email admissions
I emailed admissions but I would recommend that you guys should too. That way there is more than one and they realize the problem.

got excited cuz i saw an email from NYITCOM and it was just an email about their podcast 💀

Reactions: 6 users
What does the pre-interview session look like? Do we need to have webcams on? Do we wear suits or business attire like we would for the interview?
Same I will be attending one this coming Tuesday.

What does the pre-interview session look like? Do we need to have webcams on? Do we wear suits or business attire like we would for the interview?
Did you guys get an email for the session? I've been signed up for an interview on 9/10 since a few weeks ago and still haven't heard anything about the pre-interview session

Did you guys get an email for the session? I've been signed up for an interview on 9/10 since a few weeks ago and still haven't heard anything about the pre-interview session
It says it at the bottom of your confirmation email when you sign up for interview!

It says it at the bottom of your confirmation email when you sign up for interview!
Wow, don't know how I missed that one. How bad would it be if I went to the session after my interview? I have no idea how I'm going to work this into my work schedule

Wow, don't know how I missed that one. How bad would it be if I went to the session after my interview? I have no idea how I'm going to work this into my work schedule
It’s not mandatory. It’s optional.

It’s not mandatory. It’s optional.
Would you not go though? Curious how others feel? I only know so much about them from researching them and there website. I definitely want to know more about them and their culture.

Would you not go though? Curious how others feel? I only know so much about them from researching them and there website. I definitely want to know more about them and their culture.
I would assume they would be understanding if you aren’t able to make it to a session before your scheduled interview. The best advice I have to offer is if circumstances would prevent you from attending then send them an email and explain to them. Chances are they would be accommodating.

Any thoughts on what to wear for tomorrow's information session?

Anyone have a interview tomorrow or this week?

I'm planning to dress how I would with the actual interview. I just imagine it as being kind of like how they would expect you to dress in-person before going into the actual interview
Is yours tommorrow?
Yes!

I was told to dress business casual, so a button-down will work without the tie and jacket.

I'm planning to dress how I would with the actual interview. I just imagine it as being kind of like how they would expect you to dress in-person before going into the actual interview

Yes!
Good luck! Please let us know how it goes on here!!

The interview was really chill! It was about 20 minutes. Mine was with a faculty member and probably closed file, since my questions weren't really specific about my app. Like in previous threads have mentioned, really know how to answer why osteopathic medicine and why NYIT and what is your biggest accomplishment. Also remember to smile!!! You all got this!!!!! : )

Reactions: 7 users
The interview was really chill! It was about 20 minutes. Mine was with a faculty member and probably closed file, since my questions weren't really specific about my app. Like in previous threads have mentioned, really know how to answer why osteopathic medicine and why NYIT and what is your biggest accomplishment. Also remember to smile!!! You all got this!!!!! : )
thanks for the update!

Reactions: 2 users
What other questions were you asked like tell me about yourself or why medicine? You weren't asked about anything regarding your application such as activities or PS?
I submitted them on the interview feedback survey! I wasn't asked anything regarding my activities or PS.

II OOS (8/30) scheduled for first available 9/20. Completed secondary app 8/23.

Stats: 496 MCAT, 3.44 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA, non-trad undergrad-military background.

It’s an info session really. Decent shirt and you’ll be fine. He specifically said it has no weight on your application at all. But the info is beneficial.

Hello, current OMS-1 here. If you have any questions feel free to send me a message. I might respond late because of classes and everything, but I'll be on the lookout. Believe me, I was in the same boat as you guys last year neurotically checking SDN forums for all my school applications so I know how you feel.

If you guys want some idea as to the curriculum here, at least for the first semester, I can give some details.
  • All of our lectures are prerecorded so there are no in-person lectures. This actually saves you a lot of time since you can watch all of them at double speed. Of course, one downside is that you can't directly ask the professors if you have a question about the lectures, but since the professors don't have to spend time lecturing they have lots of office hours for you to hop into.
  • Labs are held on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays so your Mondays and Fridays are usually free. There are mandatory meetings sometimes on those days but the school will let you know in advance through the online semester calendar. The class is split into 4 lab groups of about 30 people and each group has its assigned lab times posted on the class calendar.
  • The anatomy lab consists of only prosections. It definitely saves you time compared to dissections, but you have to come prepared by doing the prelab work to get the most out of your time.
  • In the OMM lab, you practice the techniques that are assigned to the class for the week and in the DPR lab, you practice clinical skills such as taking patient histories and physical exams.
  • In each block, there are two exams: the pre-comp and the comp. The pre-comp counts for 10% of your block grade and is split into anatomy and lecture portions, and both are taken the Monday of the week before the comp. The comp contains all material from the pre-comp plus the lectures assigned during pre-comp week. The comp is the big one and it counts for 90% of your block grade and it is also split into anatomy and lecture portions, each on separate days. During comp week, there is also an OMM practical. If by chance you fail the practical, you get a redo the following week.
  • To pass the semester, you have to achieve an average of 70% in anatomy and 70% in lectures across all four blocks, and a minimum of 50% on each comp exam. Of course, you also have to pass all of the OMM practicals.
I hope all of this helps and good luck with the rest of the cycle!

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Hello, current OMS-1 here. If you have any questions feel free to send me a message. I might respond late because of classes and everything, but I'll be on the lookout. Believe me, I was in the same boat as you guys last year neurotically checking SDN forums for all my school applications so I know how you feel.

If you guys want some idea as to the curriculum here, at least for the first semester, I can give some details.
  • All of our lectures are prerecorded so there are no in-person lectures. This actually saves you a lot of time since you can watch all of them at double speed. Of course, one downside is that you can't directly ask the professors if you have a question about the lectures, but since the professors don't have to spend time lecturing they have lots of office hours for you to hop into.
  • Labs are held on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays so your Mondays and Fridays are usually free. There are mandatory meetings sometimes on those days but the school will let you know in advance through the online semester calendar. The class is split into 4 lab groups of about 30 people and each group has its assigned lab times posted on the class calendar.
  • The anatomy lab consists of only prosections. It definitely saves you time compared to dissections, but you have to come prepared by doing the prelab work to get the most out of your time.
  • In the OMM lab, you practice the techniques that are assigned to the class for the week and in the DPR lab, you practice clinical skills such as taking patient histories and physical exams.
  • In each block, there are two exams: the pre-comp and the comp. The pre-comp counts for 10% of your semester grade and is split into anatomy and lecture portions, and both are taken the Monday of the week before the comp. The comp contains all material from the pre-comp plus the lectures assigned during pre-comp week. The comp is the big one and it counts for 90% of your semester grade and it is also split into anatomy and lecture portions, each on separate days. During comp week, there is also an OMM practical. If by chance you fail the practical, you get a redo the following week.
  • To pass the semester, you have to achieve an average of 70% in anatomy, 70% in lectures, and a minimum of 50% on each comp exam. Of course, you also have to pass all of the OMM practicals.
I hope all of this helps and good luck with the rest of the cycle!
Thank you so much for sharing this!

My previous post outlined some facts, but now let me give you some of my opinions on the school. Again, I'm just one person, but I feel most of my classmates would agree with my statements.
  • The anatomy department runs like a well-oiled machine. The professors are both personable and knowledgeable and are eager to help you learn.
  • The OMM department is... meh. The only reason I say that is because there's sometimes conflicting information between the textbooks and the lectures which then have to be clarified during lab. Even then, the professors sometimes disagree and have to ask the department head to elaborate.
  • In regards to the general administration, half you'll love and half you'll tolerate. You'll find out sooner rather than later who falls into what category. This is probably par for the course for any medical school, however.
  • The student body, however, is very supportive of everyone, takes responsibility, and likes to get things done right. The student organizations plan some fantastic events that everyone can enjoy and learn from. I feel the admissions department has a good insight into what kinds of students they want to bring into the school.

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know how long NYIT takes to tell us their decision after Interviews?

Does anyone know how long NYIT takes to tell us their decision after Interviews?
I was told the committee meets at undisclosed times frequently but there wouldn’t be any decisions until October at the earliest. Looking at previous forums from last cycle the first round of A’s were given on the 9th of October.

Reactions: 3 users
I was told the committee meets at undisclosed times frequently but there wouldn’t be any decisions until October at the earliest. Looking at previous forums from last cycle the first round of A’s were given on the 9th of October.
Oh okay. Did they start interviews the same time last year?

Anyone else thought that thank you email was a R email lol

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
not the podcast email again instead of a decision....🙂🙃

• Haha
Does this school interview a ton of candidates or is the post-interview acceptance rate pretty high? Has anyone heard anything or know anything from previous cycles? Especially with the earlier interview dates.
Most important questions right now