2021-2022 Sam Houston State University - College of Osteopathic Medicine (SHSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you, @mjmad, for sharing the secondary essay prompts.

2021-2022 SHSU-COM Secondary Essay Prompts (either 800 or 500 characters, as below)

1. What do you like or dislike most about the area you are from (your hometown or where you graduated high school)? (800 characters)

2. Describe a moment when you failed to accomplish a task or let yourself down. How did this experience change you? (800 characters)

3. What do you consider the most important thing you have done to date? (500 characters)

4. What do you consider the role of physicians in medically underserved Texas communities? (800 characters)

5. Sam Houston State University's Motto is "The Measure of a Life is its Service." What does this mean to you and how do you embody this idea?
(800 characters)

6. Please share anything you would like to mention to the SHSU-COM Admissions Committee about yourself to strengthen your application. (500 characters)

7. As a DO physician, how would you plan to incorporate the tenets of osteopathic medicine into your future practice? (800 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
How OOS friendly is this school?
Their inaugural class matriculated 73 Texans and 2 OOS students.
The mission of the school to admit students who plan to settle in the east Texas region to practice has a lot to do with this, but I am not aware of a ceiling for number of OOS students at this school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone received secondaries yet?

Secondary essays, most are 800 characters

What do you like or dislike most about the area you are from (your hometown or where you graduated high school)?

Describe a moment when you failed to accomplish a task or let yourself down. How did this experience change you?

What do you consider the most important thing you have done to date?
(500 characters)

What do you consider the role of physicians in medically underserved Texas communities?

Sam Houston State University's Motto is "The Measure of a Life is its Service." What does this mean to you and how do you embody this idea?

Please share anything you would like to mention to the SHSU-COM Admissions Committee about yourself to strengthen your application. (500 characters)

As a DO physician, how would you plan to incorporate the tenets of osteopathic medicine into your future practice?

Last edited:
They're sending out interviews already? Anyone else get one

II! So excited for this blessing!!:)
Hi @Dr. GoldenRule - Did you mean you got a secondary application?

On SDN we usually use " II " to mean an Interview Invitation, you'll get everyone jealous or excited if it was really an interview this early :)
Welcome to SDN!

Hi @Dr. GoldenRule - Did you mean you got a secondary application?

On SDN we usually use " II " to mean an Interview Invitation, you'll get everyone jealous or excited if it was really an interview this early :)
Welcome to SDN!
No- I received an interview. Interviews are already being sent out for Sam Houston! :) I sent my secondary in and was complete about 2 weeks ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone get anymore interview invites this week yet?

Does anyone know if there are any planned increases in student enrollment as years go by like other new schools for example University of Houston? I've looked on their website and haven't found any information on that so I'm assuming 75 students is SHSU-COM's master plan. If anyone knows any different please let us know.

No- I received an interview. Interviews are already being sent out for Sam Houston! :) I sent my secondary in and was complete about 2 weeks ago.
Congrats man! Did you have Caspar in? And, what dates did they have available? Wishing you the best of luck this cycle.

Congrats man! Did you have Caspar in? And, what dates did they have available? Wishing you the best of luck this cycle.
Thank you! Yes- My Casper is completed and my score/quartile has already been sent to schools. Interview dates are starting this month and are on Fridays. Blessings to you as well. 😊

Thank you! Yes- My Casper is completed and my score/quartile has already been sent to schools. Interview dates are starting this month and are on Fridays. Blessings to you as well. 😊
Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Me too!!!! Interview omg!!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Awesome guys! Got the email yesterday saying my app is complete since Caspar just got delivered, so hoping I get one soon.:)

Reactions: 1 users
friend just said (he/her) didnt feel supported. this is one person's experience best to talk to current students!!!

"What do you consider the most important thing you have done to date?"

One of my friends who is also applying told me that this question is looking for something you’ve done that had an impact on OTHERS. I interpreted the question as being the most important thing that I did to better myself. Can anyone answer which way they answered this question? Thanks!

Got an interview today! Dates are 16th and 30th

Reactions: 2 users
"What do you consider the most important thing you have done to date?"

One of my friends who is also applying told me that this question is looking for something you’ve done that had an impact on OTHERS. I interpreted the question as being the most important thing that I did to better myself. Can anyone answer which way they answered this question? Thanks!
I think it could be either! I personally wrote about how, being first-gen, I was really proud of myself for even getting to this point of the application cycle despite all the 'hurdles' I had to overcome. I received a II so it must have not been TOO bad of an answer haha.

Is this school on aacomas? I couldn't find it there.

For those that had interviews today how did it go, what was it like? Im curious about the group activity

Do they not send secondaries without an MCAT score?

II today IS!!

Congrats everyone! Should I start to get worried? 508 MCAT, 3.5 sGPA IS
It's way too early for any of us to worry about not getting a II yet. Now if December comes around and no interview invites then I'd definitely be getting ready for next year's app cycle. The ones who get invited at the last minute are few and far between in general imo. I much rather start preparing again than hoping for long shots. But take it easy right now--Tons of interview invites left!! Yeah, it's nerve racking but we're all fine right now.