2021-2022 Stanford

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Secondary received. I applied with an MCAT score but the status says not received. Anyone having the same problem?
Same with me, I took the exam last year lol

Members don't see this ad.

For MSTP folks, here are the supplemental questions as seen from this previous application cycle:
  • Describe your most significant research experience. Include the rationale, results, and conclusions, and the role you played in each of these components. ("Be very specific, including the dates and amount of time you were engaged. Include a complete citation..." 2500 characters)
  • Describe in a short paragraph your educational and family background. (600 characters)
  • Describe your reasons for pursuing medical scientist training in relation to your long-term career goals. Why are you applying to a combined degree program rather than graduate or medical school only? (800 characters including spaces)
  • Describe your current lab affiliation and the weekly time commitment required. (800 characters)
  • Describe any other research experiences you think would be relevant to the MSTP MD-PhD Admissions Committee decision. (800 characters)
  • Describe any patient-related, teaching, and service-oriented activities relevant to the MSTP MD-PhD Admissions Committee decision. (800 characters)
  • Describe any other aspect of your background you think would be relevant to the MSTP MD-PhD Admissions Committee decision. (800 characters)
Are these current for MSTP?

This is patently untrue. FUD warning
That's what my school's fellowship office told us and when the Knight-Hennessy representatives came to my school to give a presentation they said that they "strongly encourage" that you go through your school's fellowship office.

Members don't see this ad :)
What if your school does not have a fellowship support office?
I'm not 100% sure since my information came from a presentation that the Knight-Hennessy representatives ran in conjunction with my school's fellowship office so the topic of alternatives didn't come up, but I would imagine that a career services office or the dean of your program could provide a similar service.

I'm not 100% sure since my information came from a presentation that the Knight-Hennessy representatives ran in conjunction with my school's fellowship office so the topic of alternatives didn't come up, but I would imagine that a career services office or the dean of your program could provide a similar service.
Or not. My school also has one. The office is very highly attuned to helping people compete for extremely competitive prizes like KH, and also steering people away who clearly don't have a shot. It is VERY different from what staff in a premed advising office or career services office does, and we all know how hit or miss the advice they dish out is anyway.

I would imagine that unless a school has decided to prioritize and fund a dedicated fellowship office, that is there no viable alternative -- certainly not the career services office. Sure, the KH folks "strongly encourage" you to go through a fellowship office if it exists, the same way med schools "strongly enourage" us to go through a premed committee if one exists. It makes their review a little easier, and it helps you put together a better application, but it is by no means required, especially if you don't have access to such an office.

Reactions: 1 users
Just for a reference, my undergrad is a similar tiered undergrad to Stanford, I just checked our website and it explicitly says they do not endorse for KH. People have gotten KH in the past. Meanwhile, for things like Rhodes, you are required to get an endorsement from the school. So my guess is the endorsement isn't that big a deal.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else have “external file reviewers” from the Stanford School of Medicine view your LinkedIn profiles? Couldn’t find any info about their roles or what this is indicative of

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
I treated it as "what did you learn from the negatives of COVID (abt yourself / abt what it means to be a doctor / abt US or global public health)" instead of "list how it hindered your application"
I literally haven't been able to write anything for the last hour...everything I write seems unsubstantial and jumbled. And I volunteered in a covid lab too sigh

I literally haven't been able to write anything for the last hour...everything I write seems unsubstantial and jumbled. And I volunteered in a covid lab too sigh
Oops, I have directly done Covid 19 work and treated it as a how has covid impacted you essay......

Oops, I have directly done Covid 19 work and treated it as a how has covid impacted you essay......
Honestly just remembered I did volunteer COVID screening for a while and have not mentioned it a single time... these apps got me blocking out everything thats not diversity or a challenge lol

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Honestly just remembered I did volunteer COVID screening for a while and have not mentioned it a single time... these apps got me blocking out everything thats not diversity or a challenge lol
the things we forget on the application is just fodder for interviews.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
For those of you who have to fill out your ORCID ID, did you update your profile with everything?

Also, if one of my publications is in press, should I still add it as a peer-reviewed publication?

For those of you who have to fill out your ORCID ID, did you update your profile with everything?

Also, if one of my publications is in press, should I still add it as a peer-reviewed publication?
Like my ORCID profile? No mine is basically empty minus the "works" section.

Members don't see this ad :)

in review doesn't count; in press (accepted for publication) counts.

Stanford MD/PhD is (in)famous for the speed of their rejections/mercy

Stanford MD/PhD is (in)famous for the speed of their rejections/mercy
Faster the MSTP rejection, faster in the MD only pool.

Any idea if checking the KH box changes the timing of their review?

Faster the MSTP rejection, faster in the MD only pool.

Any idea if checking the KH box changes the timing of their review?
Only my anecdote of a mid-Dec II in the past. The website implies they are independent but also coordinate with your grad program admissions to some extent. This makes sense with most grad programs that have apps due in Dec/Jan, but MD throws a wrench into it given how early the process begins. Virtual interviews may also change how KH/MD operates

I also did not receive an MD/PhD rejection until that point either, for more context

I also did not receive an MD/PhD rejection until that point either, for more context
Ah, that makes sense. But you were still considered for an interview. I am more worried that I will not get rejected post-secondary until later because I checked the KH box.

Ah, that makes sense. But you were still considered for an interview. I am more worried that I will not get rejected post-secondary until later because I checked the KH box.
Maybe, and maybe that is also what happened in my case. It's impossible to say and thus not worth worrying about. If you think KH is beneficial to your training, choose it. If not, don't choose it. Don't do it for the money, especially if MSTP is your goal since that's funded

Maybe, and maybe that is also what happened in my case. It's impossible to say and thus not worth worrying about. If you think KH is beneficial to your training, choose it. If not, don't choose it. Don't do it for the money, especially if MSTP is your goal since that's funded
Oh yes, certainly. KH adds no additional funding but the training opportunity is phenomenal. I just want the opportunity to still be considered MD only due to Berg and PSTP

I don't understand why checking that box would make a difference? If you are going to be rejected for MSTP, you are still considered for MD-only, so why would applying for KH impact the timing of a MSTP decision?

I don't understand why checking that box would make a difference? If you are going to be rejected, you are still considered for MD-only, so why would checking the KH impact the timing of a MSTP decision?
I think the concern is timing of the MD decision. If you're considered late, does it hurt you. January interview is still in time for the first round of January acceptances, but it may or may not hurt you

I think the concern is timing of the MD decision. If you're considered late, does it hurt you. January interview is still in time for the first round of January acceptances, but it may or may not hurt you
I thought people were only talking about MSTP rejections, which are the only ones that have gone out so far.

I thought people were only talking about MSTP rejections, which are the only ones that have gone out so far.
Exactly. If KH review delays the MSTP rejection, then integration into the MD only pool occurs later, thus less chances/like applying later.

Exactly. If KH review delays the MSTP rejection, then integration into the MD only pool occurs later, thus less chances/like applying later.
I understand that, but I don't understand why KH review would impact MSTP review, since you could easily be rejected for MSTP and still be accepted for MD-only and, potentially, KH.

I understand that, but I don't understand why KH review would impact MSTP review, since you could easily be rejected for MSTP and still be accepted for MD-only and, potentially, KH.
Since the processes are independent, if you indicate you will be applying to KH then they may delay review until KH has the opportunity to review.

All I have left to say about it is that uncertainty is the spice of life, and you better learn to love spice if you're going into medicine/academia

Since the processes are independent, if you indicate you will be applying to KH then they may delay review until KH has the opportunity to review.
I hear you, but I actually think it's the other way around. Yes, the reviews are independent, but you cannot be accepted to KH if you are not accepted to the school first, so why would KH waste time performing a review on someone who has not already been accepted (even if that decision has not been communicated to the applicant)?

I'm not sure of the answer, but does anyone know if anyone who had ever been invited to interview for KH was subsequently rejected for admission to the school, in addition to being rejected for KH? I always thought a KH interview meant you were admitted to the school.

All I have left to say about it is that uncertainty is the spice of life, and you better learn to love spice if you're going into medicine/academia
My spice tolerance peaks at salt.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if you select MD-physician scientist training program if you get considered for MD only if you don't get it? I know this is true for MD PhD So I was curious

Am I going crazy or was the "transcript status" tab under the status tab in the portal not visible until today?

Am I going crazy or was the "transcript status" tab under the status tab in the portal not visible until today?
Definitely new, I guarantee that was not there when I submitted... Wonder if it's there for all applicants??

Definitely new, I guarantee that was not there when I submitted... Wonder if it's there for all applicants??
I also just saw this, I see the name of my transcripts but a blank box underneath "Status" -- do you also have a blank here, or is there something wrong w/my transcripts LOL

My guess is everyone has it. I was only complete here a week ago and I have it. Doubt there's any meaning behind it other than updating the portal.

I also just saw this, I see the name of my transcripts but a blank box underneath "Status" -- do you also have a blank here, or is there something wrong w/my transcripts LOL
Yep, mine is also blank under status. Probably trying to connect our transcripts over from AAMC now that we've completed our app.

Hi all,

Aside from peer-reviewed journal articles, do I include published conference abstracts in the "Do you have peer-reviewed publications resulting from scholarly endeavors?" section? It is already added to my ORCID.

Thanks!

have people without publications gotten into Stanford in the past? asking for a friend :)

Hi all,

Aside from peer-reviewed journal articles, do I include published conference abstracts in the "Do you have peer-reviewed publications resulting from scholarly endeavors?" section? It is already added to my ORCID.

Thanks!
No, you do not. You only include peer reviewed publications in the peer reviewed publications section.

have people without publications gotten into Stanford in the past? asking for a friend :)
I'm sure there are people every year, past, present and future. I'm equally certain they have other awesome things going on that more than make up for it. :)

That is actually really low compared to what I would have thought.

I agree. However, it's relatively rare for an undergrad to get a reputable peer-reviewed pub. This 53% statistic might be one of the highest in the nation.

Also keep in mind that Stanford also has other missions, including promoting URMs, low-SES students, etc., so research is great, but not the "be all and end all" as people seem to think.