2021-2022 UNC, Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got this too. Can’t tell if we’ve already been accepted into the excel program or if they’re just telling us about it?
Same. I think they're just telling us about the program.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I also got the MED EXCEL email today, would love to hear if anybody knows anything more about it. Is this sent out with every rejection and my chance of getting in is similar to my application? Or are only certain people invited?

I also got the MED EXCEL email today, would love to hear if anybody knows anything more about it. Is this sent out with every rejection and my chance of getting in is similar to my application? Or are only certain people invited?
I feel like if this many people are saying they got the email on the forum then my guess would be a lot of people got this email but I’m also wondering the same!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I can't say for sure who they sent that email to, but I can almost guarantee they're just telling you about the program, not accepting y'all. It's brand new and takes less than 10 students per year right now.

Reactions: 1 users
They just sent out the classic “oops, we didn’t mean to send that to so many people” email. Get it together, UNC.

Did you also get a second invite right before the error message? I’m so confused
Yep I also got the second invite right before the error. I reregistered, and then that registration was canceled. So that second invite was also mistake. Man what a rollercoaster.

Did anyone get a ~real~ invite to the info session after the email saying they'd sent it to the big group by mistake? Congrats in advance to anyone who did!

Does anyone have any advice on how to look for leases in the area?
if you’re looking to rent a house, try chapelhillrent.com ! as for apartments apartments.com is helpful :) dm me if u have more questions

Last edited:
Any updates on this MED EXCEL program? Did they already have the interest meeting today?

Any updates on this MED EXCEL program? Did they already have the interest meeting today?
My friend who looked into this last cycle (that was the first year) said it was a conditional acceptance for the next cycle; and was mostly for URM. She got an A in Feb last year, but chose to go to Duke, but that's what MED EXCEL is- a conditional acceptance for Fall 2023, if you get in (unless they changed something)!

Does UNC accept letter of intents or update letters post interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone when their last interview date is?
I don't remember the exact dates but they were interviewing all through February and I believe there were one or two dates in march when they asked us to help back in the fall.

For those that were accepted, was there any sort of time frame that could be gathered from when you interviewed and you got the call for the A?

Interviewed 10/4, accepted 11/10.

when are scholarship applications due? and when are financial aid offers sent out?

does UNC tend to only award aid based on need or will they also look at merit?

Last edited:
Social Media Facebook GIF by Scorpion Dagger

All of us on Tuesdays in the portal 😂 we’re gonna crash the thing

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
What's the earliest turn around between interview and a decision? They say 2 weeks during interviews but has anyone actually heard back within a month?

I don’t think portals will be changing today. I heard from last year that they will start making decisions again in Feb. ):

Would you mind sharing stats
If the implication is that stats are what carried this person to a relatively early interview/quick acceptance, I don't think that's neccessarily true. It's pretty likely the person does have median/above median stats for UNC, but such a quick acceptance after an interview indicates that this person has a strong narrative or is a strong interviewer. My first app cycle I had high stats and interviewed mid/late october, but had a weak interview and wasn't accepted. That's all to say, for a school with a relatively high median gpa/mcat, UNC is pretty holistic and people with a wide range of stats get accepted pretty early

Just got the A call today around 1 EST. Ironically no changes to the portal so far.

Reactions: 6 users
Received an Acceptance call at 1:30 EST today. No portal updates yet.

Reactions: 7 users
Received the A call today at around 12! OOS and interviewed 11/8

Reactions: 3 users
Just got the call a few minutes ago :) IS, interviewed in November 29th. SHOOKETH.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
Have anyone's portals changed that have gotten calls?

I received two 919 calls, 1 of which left a voice mail stating they were from UNC and to call back.

I interviewed on 9/13

Interviewed 11/12 just got the A! My call was from my interviewer who had a 704 (Charlotte) number!

Reactions: 2 users
Bold of you to make that assumption, no need to spin up negativity out of a simple inquiry
Lol you read UNC taking a holistic approach instead of basing it all on your GPA and test scores as negative? What they said is actually true, that's what's awesome about UNC. They don't just take the best testers, they take the best people. I love it here for exactly that reason. My classmates, teachers, preceptors, everyone here is amazing, as incredibly kind as they are smart. They didn't all have the best GPAs or test scores, they all had different experiences before medical school, but they're great people and they were accepted because of it. So don't get hung up on what accepted students' numbers were, because that was *one* factor that got them an interview, but it wasn't what got them in.

Reactions: 2 users
Lol you read UNC taking a holistic approach instead of basing it all on your GPA and test scores as negative? What they said is actually true, that's what's awesome about UNC. They don't just take the best testers, they take the best people. I love it here for exactly that reason. My classmates, teachers, preceptors, everyone here is amazing, as incredibly kind as they are smart. They didn't all have the best GPAs or test scores, they all had different experiences before medical school, but they're great people and they were accepted because of it. So don't get hung up on what accepted students' numbers were, because that was *one* factor that got them an interview, but it wasn't what got them in.
I think this is why so many people get upset with the process at UNC because I don't believe it is stream lined, like other schools, so it can take longer to hear back. Those who are applying to medical school are very competitive and we want to compare ourselves to each other to try to justify a scenario in our heads.

I am happy to tell you my stats: IS, MCAT 505, GPA 3.89, and third time applying (wait-listed the previous 2 cycles).

If you got an interview you don't have to worry about the stats, you already stood out! Good luck y'all!

Sooooooo I had my phone on airplane mode for a lot of the day and have no idea if I missed a phone call (do you see phone calls that would happen during airplane mode?). I logged on this evening and it says "decided." Could this be an R, or should I tentatively be excited?

Sooooooo I had my phone on airplane mode for a lot of the day and have no idea if I missed a phone call (do you see phone calls that would happen during airplane mode?). I logged on this evening and it says "decided." Could this be an R, or should I tentatively be excited?
I’d definitely check your VM and missed calls and try to call back any number you don’t recognize and missed!!

So its assumption or do we have a pretty good track record that calls go out on Tuesdays?
My understanding (from reading this forum and all of last years forum) is that the committee seems to meet on Mondays, and calls often go out Tuesdays. Sometimes portals are updated from “Awaiting Decision” to “Decided” and sometimes they aren’t until after the call. Last cycle, it seemed like if they made a bigger batch of decisions on a particular Monday, some calls would go out Wednesday as well. Your faculty interviewer should call you with admission offer, and they’re busy, so Tuesday isn’t a hard a fast rule it seems.

My understanding (from reading this forum and all of last years forum) is that the committee seems to meet on Mondays, and calls often go out Tuesdays. Sometimes portals are updated from “Awaiting Decision” to “Decided” and sometimes they aren’t until after the call. Last cycle, it seemed like if they made a bigger batch of decisions on a particular Monday, some calls would go out Wednesday as well. Your faculty interviewer should call you with admission offer, and they’re busy, so Tuesday isn’t a hard a fast rule it seems.
Yes and they typically cover 1-2 new interview dates per week. This week was some 11/8 and then some of 11/12. This is on top of considering applicants who have gone through an initial review

Yes and they typically cover 1-2 new interview dates per week. This week was some 11/8 and then some of 11/12. This is on top of considering applicants who have gone through an initial review
Anyone know how many interview dates there have been after 11/12?

Anyone know how many interview dates there have been after 11/12?
Mine was 11/29 and I heard back on Tuesday. I am not sure how many more interview dates were after mine though.