2021-2022 UNC, Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got the “still under consideration” email. My heart is still recovering from the panic
Yay! Is this for people who have already interviewed or waiting for an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the “still under consideration” email. My heart is still recovering from the panic
Hahaha I had the same reaction this morning. I’m taking it to mean that they’re not going to look at my app until next year

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys! Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. I was wondering if there is a Groupme for accepted students.

Is anyone who interviewed or got accepted comfortable telling their stats and clinical experience? I am planning to apply next year and am wondering how many clinical hours/experiences, GPA, MCAT for successful applicants.

Is anyone who interviewed or got accepted comfortable telling their stats and clinical experience? I am planning to apply next year and am wondering how many clinical hours/experiences, GPA, MCAT successful applicants had.
Anything within 3.3-4.0 GPA, 505-520 MCAT, 250-500 clinical hours is probably competitive, but if you lack in one area you will need to compensate hard in other areas. the most important thing after you've checkmarked stats/ECs is how you construct your application, your narrative, and your interview preparation. My gf/I were both accepted with very different applications/stats. A wide range of people will get accepted, and UNC does do a pretty good job being holistic despite the fact that they are a top public institution with a high median GPA/MCAT.

I had a 3.6ish/526ish/probaly 500 clinical hours. Normal narrative focusing on teaching/education. Decent ECs. I got rejected my first cycle due to crappy interview skills and only got in the second cycle because I was fortunate to have people who helped grill me on interview skills. The interview is so crucial and will make or break you.

My GF had a 3.6ish/505ish/probably 1000 clinical hours + a great narrative. Great ECs. ORM. Got accepted first time around.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know about whether UNC awards any scholarship money on the basis of merit, and if so, what proportion of the class will see that kind of financial assistance?

11/5 and 11/8 interview peeps keep an eye on those portals 👀

Last year, some decisions came out 1/12, so, hopefully next week?
That'd be nice! I think that would likely mean deicisions would come out on 1/11 given what has been previously discussed (meeting on Monday, release decisions on Tuesday).

Reactions: 1 user
This is a question for current students. Did you guys get a welcome package in Orientation week? If so what is included in the welcome package?

This is a question for current students. Did you guys get a welcome package in Orientation week? If so what is included in the welcome package?
Welcome package like what? They assign you a locker at orientation and put your iPad (which is included in your school fees) and a couple other things in there. My year we got t shirts for our college and a fuzzy blanket. Current MS1s got a water bottle, a college mask, a box of gloves. But I'm not sure if this is what you mean by welcome package.

Also wondering this! If there is, how do we join??
For all of those asking about a FB group or groupme for accepted students, they usually start one in March when all the acceptances have been sent out.

Welcome package like what? They assign you a locker at orientation and put your iPad (which is included in your school fees) and a couple other things in there. My year we got t shirts for our college and a fuzzy blanket. Current MS1s got a water bottle, a college mask, a box of gloves. But I'm not sure if this is what you mean by welcome package.
Yes that’s exactly what I meant. Thank you 😊

Do you think portals will be changing today??😬😬😬

Not today, they often change Tuesday morning based on previous posts
Every time I refresh my portal I feel like I lose a year off my life 😅

• Sad
Reactions: 12 users
Hi, I received an email about financial aid offers going out in April (I filled out my FAFSA before the holidays to get It over with). Is that accurate? I guess I’m having troubling figuring out how to narrow down my school choices when I still don’t know how I’m paying lol

Has anyone received a post-II rejection? Curious if they’re waiting for a mass slaughter or if I have a chance on the WL.

The interviews from earlier this month should start hearing back next week earliest, so maybe there will be updates around then?
Interviewed back in November
Was wondering if they released any decisions in the past week as it doesn't look like anyone get accepted since they went on break.

Interviewed back in November
Was wondering if they released any decisions in the past week as it doesn't look like anyone get accepted since they went on break.
That’s my understanding too

I interviewed 12/6… still no word, but I’m not terribly surprised. Looks like I won’t hear back for another couple of weeks.

Interviewed the very first day, back in September, still nothing. Assuming it'll be an R :(

• Care
Interviewed the very first day, back in September, still nothing. Assuming it'll be an R :(
IS and interviewed 9/24. No word yet, though I felt like the interview went really well. Ive heard that some applicants from last year interviewed in September and weren’t accepted till March

Did anyone get any updates?
Interviewed in October, got an email right before winter break that my application was still under review by the committee. It doesn't seem like there's been any news from the committee since they opened back up after winter break. Maybe they're just behind, or maybe they're planning a big batch of decisions sometime soon. I definitely don't think it's a closed case for anyone yet, last year there were tons of acceptances in Feb and March, all the way up until they opened the WL.

Reactions: 5 users
Interviewed in October, got an email right before winter break that my application was still under review by the committee. It doesn't seem like there's been any news from the committee since they opened back up after winter break. Maybe they're just behind, or maybe they're planning a big batch of decisions sometime soon. I definitely don't think it's a closed case for anyone yet, last year there were tons of acceptances in Feb and March, all the way up until they opened the WL.
+1

Hang in there y'all! Until you get the R, you absolutely still have a shot. I know this page makes it seem like a lot of people got answers already, but a lot of people (even those who interviewed early) won't get answers until March and that's totally normal. The waiting is the most difficult part of this whole process, but you will all make it through this, I promise. And for those of you interviewing later in the cycle, you are not just interviewing for a waitlist spot. If you're a great applicant in February, you can still get in. This is not over, so keep hanging on!

Reactions: 2 users
let’s be honest i’ll invariably refresh the portal 20 times next Tuesday regardless of the answer, but do all the “decided” messages come up at the same time?

I don't think anyone can really answer that question other than admissions, unfortunately. Since it's electronic it would seem like everyone should get updated at the same time, but even then it's not always the case.

Hang in there y'all! Until you get the R, you absolutely still have a shot. I know this page makes it seem like a lot of people got answers already, but a lot of people (even those who interviewed early) won't get answers until March and that's totally normal. The waiting is the most difficult part of this whole process, but you will all make it through this, I promise. And for those of you interviewing later in the cycle, you are not just interviewing for a waitlist spot. If you're a great applicant in February, you can still get in. This is not over, so keep hanging on!
Thank you for posting this! I interviewed this month and was worried about my chances until reading this

I actually heard about a guy in one cycle who got interviewed and got the rejection notice. He got a call a day before classes started and they said if you can make it here tomorrow, you can have a seat in the med school class. Obviously not the most ideal situation but stranger things have happened.