2021-2022 UNC, Chapel Hill

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
At this rate, my god UNC is goin break the cellphone grid next Tuesday with acceptance calls lol.
Either that or they've accepted the majority of the class by now.
Judging by the few numbers of posts compared to last year's thread, I am worried more acceptances have been sent than we think. Maybe users that know many who interviewed outside of SDN could comment on this.
 
Judging by the few numbers of posts compared to last year's thread, I am worried more acceptances have been sent than we think. Maybe users that know many who interviewed outside of SDN could comment on this.
then again, interviews concluded on feb 1 last year while they supposedly extended through feb this year—maybe that's the reason why the timeline has been delayed this year, bc they waited until they met everyone before making final decisions? idk
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Me reasoning through all the different possible scenarios
Animated GIF

BTW I express myself in GIFs
 
For rotations, what is our chances of getting our desired campus?
Normally the odds are pretty good, but the last couple years have been weird. C/o 2023, who just finished their rotations, had a lot of people interested in urban medicine and our Charlotte campus had just closed so a lot of people put Raleigh as their first choice and didn't get it. But we have a new Charlotte campus now. C/o 2024 who are starting rotations rn did their entire first year virtually because of COVID and since they didn't get to really have the Chapel Hill experience starting out, they all wanted to stay here for 3rd year, which unfortunately couldn't happen, so a lot of them didn't get their first choice either. Prior to these weird COVID years, they used to say more than 90% got their first or second choice (and more than 80% were first choice), but obviously these last couple years have thrown them off. If you have a strong reason to be at a specific campus (kids, caring for a sick relative, stuff like that) they do take it into account and are great about getting that for you.
 
Hey upcoming applicants! If you have any questions about UNC, I am currently a third year student, so I am happy to answer. I'll check posts on here and I can answer one-on-one messages as well, but it might take me a couple days.
We're looking forward to meet y'all and find our next class of amazing medical students!
hello i am applying for the upcoming cycle. i see that UNC has lower stats for there in-states applicants, have you seen them take people with a 3.2 and a 500 MCAT just want to know where I stand. also is it really important to have an MD LOR?
 
Is it possible those who were technically accepted on Tuesday but maybe missed/did not receive a call where notified today?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks! Also, are Chapel Hill and Raleigh considered separate campuses?
Yes and no. There's a small group of students who do all of their rotations there (same with Greensboro) but central campus students can be assigned there for individual rotations as well.
 
Got the A this morning. Interviewed on 1/24. Missed the call earlier this week and thought it was spam bc I couldnt call back. Portal updated, got 3 emails at 10 am, and got recalled at 3 pm. I'm in awe. Happy to answer any questions for future/current applicants, although I feel like I easily could've not gotten accepted so who knows if it's good info. Some people ask stats and my numbers aren't stellar and I feel I was saved by EC's so here:

3.55 cGPA, in state applicant, 510 MCAT on second try. Organic chem research + paper, social frat, SGA, D1 track and then old coached my high school, children's home volunteering, 5 year medical scribe in ED with one concurrent year in ENT. They focused on those last two in interviews and asked I explain my research.
Should we be worried if people from our interview days received acceptances last week? I’m a 1/24 interviewer as well and starting to really stress!
 
Should we be worried if people from our interview days received acceptances last week? I’m a 1/24 interviewer as well and starting to really stress!
I don't think so. There are still two more interview groups so I know they're still accepting. It seems like no one in this thread got in under one month after interviewing so I gave myself a month before I started really thinking about it and checking here. There is still time!!
 
I don't think so. There are still two more interview groups so I know they're still accepting. It seems like no one in this thread got in under one month after interviewing so I gave myself a month before I started really thinking about it and checking here. There is still time!!
Your encouragement is a welcomed post!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't think so. There are still two more interview groups so I know they're still accepting. It seems like no one in this thread got in under one month after interviewing so I gave myself a month before I started really thinking about it and checking here. There is still time!!
when you say there's two more interview groups do you mean two more groups of applicants that still have to interview? or do you mean that there are two more groups who haven't heard back yet
 
hello i am applying for the upcoming cycle. i see that UNC has lower stats for there in-states applicants, have you seen them take people with a 3.2 and a 500 MCAT just want to know where I stand. also is it really important to have an MD LOR?
UNC i believe does not only look at those two factors when determining if a candidate is qualified to attend, they look at several different factors. If you have a lower GPA and MCAT, then other factors should make you stand out as a candidate, such as clinical hours or having a personal story that shows your passion towards the medical field. The GPA and MCAT scores do determine if you get an interview for many institutions. Many apply to a graduate program to boost their gpa if their undergrad gpa isnt "competitive". This is just my two sense on the matter though! Hope it helps and happy to answer any other questions.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad