2021-2022 West Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got the waitlist email, figured with OOS

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Waitlisted, OOS no ties

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Asking for a friend without SDN:
What is the waitlist movement like at WVU and chances of acceptance off the waitlist? They are 512, 3.95, OOS but really close to the region (2 hours and a half away)

Asking for a friend without SDN:
What is the waitlist movement like at WVU and chances of acceptance off the waitlist? They are 512, 3.95, OOS but really close to the region (2 hours and a half away)
I've only glanced over past threads and have been on WL since October so not an expert. Hopefully, a MS from WVU can chime in.

Seemed like WL movement started to pick up in April with the majority of movement in May and tapering off into June. Apparently there's movement prior to April as well but not as heavy. Looks like a lot of users who got off the WL stayed in touch w the school through updates or LOI throughout the cycle so your friend should think about sending one of those soon (update rn and LOI closer to March/April?). Also seemed like the majority who got WL->A reported ties to the state in some capacity although it's hard to judge what that actually means as it differs based on the individual.

Chances for us OOS'ers with 0 ties to state (no family in WV, no past residence in WV, didn't attend undergrad in WV), our chances look slim to none but I think WVU is a school where high-quality LOIs and continued interest to the school and state can go a long way.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an II! OOS. The email said somebody canceled so thank you to whoever did that!

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Is the post II acceptance rate for OOS really 12-14%? So little hope for OOS and out of region :confused:

Question: so if the interview is 25 mins long and there are two interviewers, do they interrogate you at the same time or one after the next

Question: so if the interview is 25 mins long and there are two interviewers, do they interrogate you at the same time or one after the next
They take turns asking questions. It feels like a conversation between 3 people.

Members don't see this ad :)
WL. Oos no ties. Is it actually a soft R? Do they ever give R post interview? It seems everyone except those accepted is put on WL

Just got the acceptance for MD/PhD! I absolutely cannot believe it. This was my top choice program and seemed like a pipe dream when I first started applying!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Did anyone get the campus preference email after today’s interview? I didn’t get it and I thought she would send it right after the interview

For people getting off of the interview waitlist, when did you guys receive the email stating you were on the pre-II waitlist? Trying to see if i still have chance of an interview here.

For people getting off of the interview waitlist, when did you guys receive the email stating you were on the pre-II waitlist? Trying to see if i still have chance of an interview here.
I was placed on pre-II waitlist in October and got off of it in January

As someone who religiously watched this thread and scoured last year's for updates and to weigh my chances, here's my own contribution for what it's worth to folks in current or future cycles:

IS, non-trad, 3.19 undergrad sGPA and 3.62c, 506 MCAT. WVU was my top choice and that was *very* obvious in my application. It was also the only place I applied this cycle. I couldn't apply early decision (RIP undergrad sGPA) but I submitted as early as I could and submitted amcas 5/27. Took a while for a transcript to be received and my app processed on 7/20. Got the WVU secondary immediately and submitted 7/23, II 8/11. Unless you're absolutely terrible it seems pretty guaranteed WVU will interview all IS applicants.

At that point earliest interview dates were in October. Interviewed on Thursday 10/21 and was told decisions would be distributed the following wednesday, 10/27. That was true and I got an email to check the applicant portal, where I saw the letter about being waitlisted. Bummer!

Throughout this process I knew the only weak point on my app was my sGPA. To get ahead of it, I started an SPM at the same time I was applying (started May 2021) and talked about it in my essays. GPA came up almost first thing in my interview and I talked about it there, too. When I got WL, I emailed adcoms to ask for feedback (wouldn't have done this if WVU wasn't my top choice) and to verbally reinforce that WVU was the only place I wanted to be. They confirmed it was basically my low GPA that put me on the WL and told me to check back in when my fall SPM grades were posted.

Final grades posted 12/17 (friday) and I got straight As :) Called adcoms and left a message about it on 12/20 (monday), mentioning I would sed a formal update letter/letter of intent via the applicant portal later that week. They were working from home most days due to covid, and when they were back in the office wednesday morning (12/22) I got an email confirming receipt of my voicemail. Later that day (12/22) I got a phone call to let me know I was accepted!

My general advice is pretty obvious, but knowing my weak points on the app and addressing them was clearly what got me the A. Only thing I wish I would have done differently would have been to try to DIY post-bac vs. formal SPM. SPM had some required courses that didn't count towards sGPA and it would have been better to just take what I needed, especially since I was/am working full time. FWIW, since I was conveniently accepted between semesters, I did drop my SPM with the blessing of the SOM adcoms.

Good luck, y'all! Holler if I can answer any Qs.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Pre-II R just now. Was placed on hold in august.

• Care
pre-II R yesterday. I was previously on hold.

• Care
When is a good time to send an update letter/LOI? I was WL'd in October and want to reaffirm my interest.

When is a good time to send an update letter/LOI? I was WL'd in October and want to reaffirm my interest.
Soon after Feb 22. The “Choose your medical school” tool goes live then, and people should start being proactive about withdrawing if they have multiple acceptances.

OOS minor ties, WL just now. interviewed 2/17. not surprised

• Care
Finally got the Pre-II R after being on "Hold for Interview" since August. It's been fun, good luck to everyone!

• Care
Pre-II R just now. Was on hold before that. Good luck everyone!

• Care
Just got the A off the waitlist today... OOS (strong ties)

• Love
They said they don't have a ranked waitlist at the info session...exactly how true is this? There has to be some sort of internal ranked waitlist based off stats

They said they don't have a ranked waitlist at the info session...exactly how true is this? There has to be some sort of internal ranked waitlist based off stats
I think there is. Unless every WL got a call from the Dean asking them if they wanted to stay on the WL “as they are one of the strongest candidates” last week.

• Wow
Spoke with admissions awhile back...it seems like there is a low, mid, and high priority label attached to each waitlisted applicant, so it's more of a tiered ranking system.

Accepted off the WL today! IS, best of luck to you all <3

• Love
  • Wow
Spoke with admissions awhile back...it seems like there is a low, mid, and high priority label attached to each waitlisted applicant, so it's more of a tiered ranking system.
I just reached out and she said there isn't a ranking... which one is it lmao

• Haha
I just reached out and she said there isn't a ranking... which one is it lmao

There definitely is some sort of internal waitlist rank. There’s no way they are just picking out of a hat for a small number of seats

There definitely is some sort of internal waitlist rank. There’s no way they are just picking out of a hat for a small number of seats
yea i think so too. I think telling applicants there isnt one, protects them in case they find themselves needing to "violate" the order and choose an applicant from a different tier.

Long-time lurker of this thread. Finally deciding to make an account to help manifest an A from WVU.

OOS, interviewed and waitlisted back in November. Best wishes to everyone! :)

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users