2022-2023 Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where/when did you guys hear about this? And can you give me more info about it please
They’ve sent me emails about it and you can RSVP on the portal

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all! Anyone know about how many students they send to the INOVA campus for their whole training? Is this a lot harder to access if you’re accepted late?

Hey all! Anyone know about how many students they send to the INOVA campus for their whole training? Is this a lot harder to access if you’re accepted late?
I think about a quarter of the class spends all of their clinical years at INOVA - the class is split into four colleges, and Pinn College is the one that goes to INOVA. That said, I’m pretty sure they mentioned that most if not all students spend some time at INOVA for certain rotations. IDK about the accepted late/harder to get into question!

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone else complete all the computer security training? Do we have to finish this before accessing the financial aid stuff?

Does UVA ever give post-ii R’s? I feel like my interview went well, but I’m ORM/OOS and I don’t know how I even got an interview at this school in the first place 😅 I’m really excited about UVA and I’d go in a heartbeat if I got the A, but just trying to get an idea of realistic expectations. It seemed like everyone in my interview group was from an Ivy League and I went to a state school… my app is good and my LM is 76, but my MCAT is around their first quartile according to MSAR. They never asked why I wanted to go to UVA either, so I feel like I wasn’t even able to convey how passionate I am about the school and their curriculum :/ but keeping my fingers crossed for this Friday!!
I’m pretty sure they accept around 78% of applicants post interview, and if you don’t get accepted, you get waitlisted. I don’t think they reject people post interview. I got accepted and I’m also ORM/OOS, I went to a state school, my LM is 76.3, and my MCAT is 50th percentile of accepted students. They also didn’t specifically ask me “why UVA?” in my interview. I think you have a good shot of getting accepted and I’m rooting for you!

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you, this made my evening!! And congrats!! My wifi cut out at the beginning of my first interview and I had to do most of it over the phone, so I’ve definitely been feeling a little nervous about that hiccup lol it seemed to go well otherwise, but you never know 😅

Also, did you send thank you notes to your interviewers, and if so, did you just upload them as docs through the portal? I had the email of one of my interviewers but I wanted to send one to the other person and wasn’t sure how to make sure they got it 😂
I didn’t sent thank you notes because my interviewers didn’t give me their emails. If/when I commit to UVA, I will send an email to one of my interviewers to let him know though since he specifically said he hopes I go there and I really enjoyed our convo!

A!! Interviewed 2/28! First acceptance after 11 interviews, so I am sooo relieved right now. I must be bad at interviewing, but funnily enough, I thought UVA was my worst interview 😅

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Anyone know if they’ll have another option for accepted students to visit besides March 17 and 18? I’m out of town those days :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Waiting for my pre-II rejection at this point lol. When do those come out…?

My first A today!!! I'm so grateful and excited. I was worried I was doomed to end up in WL purgatory with every school that interviewed me. Plus, I like UVA's culture a whole lot, so extremely happy. :love:👩‍⚕️

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
Alternate list 😭 so crushed … but congrats to everyone who got the A yesterday!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Dumb question but figured I’d ask anyway… does anyone happen to know what WL movement looks like and approximately how many people they put on their WL? This school is my top choice and would love to end up going here 😭
I’m not sure about WL movement but I would definitely send a LOI to tell them they’re you’re #1 choice and why!

Depends on year. A couple of years ago, there was no movement. Last year, very few spots. This school extends a lot of post-II acceptances.

Hi everyone! Pre-II R :( Submitted and was complete July 27th, 2022. Secondary received 07/12th. CASPer 4th Quartile. Application update sent Oct 25 2022 - had some important additions.

Canadian student from Toronto , 3.98 GPA, 515 MCAT, Strong ECs (in terms of employment and volunteering in my opinion but: three hospices over the past 4 years in Ontario, >60 hours shadowing (Emergency medicine mostly, Surgeries in OR), working over a year in a hospital inpatient surgery as a PA, PT during undergrad). Rock climbing as a hobby for a while, competitive soccer player, spent a good amount of time on my essays/descriptions focusing on Dr. Grays suggestions (I thought).

As a Canadian rn my American schools cycle is going: 15/16 Pre II Rs, one soft R (Tulane). Got some love from Ontario schools (2 IIs!) so maybe I am just not meant to go to the US for an MD. That's it for me for American schools this cycle.

No research though which may have done it but oh well. Congrats to all the candidates who received interviews, acceptances and my fellow Rs out there! Good luck to you all!

Finally got my Pre-II rejection today. IS, LM 68, complete 7/28. Honestly feeing relief that I can stop checking my email lol. Good luck everyone!

Just got an out of state acceptance! Interviewed on 3/7.

Reactions: 5 users
Hi! Does anyone know how generous UVA has been in the past with need-based and merit-based $ for out of state URM (hispanic bilingual male)? this is my #1 choice but not sure i can afford it. i got a 516 so not sure i qualify for merit? this was a reach for me and i got in.

Last edited:
Hi @pinchybug , I'm in the same boat. What is the "maximum" of 35K? is that need-based financial aid or merit? I haven't received my financial package yet but hoping to get it soon. did you already get it? i really want to go to UVA but not sure I can afford it. how would I know if i qualify or will receive for their maximum of 35K?

Hi @pinchybug, got it. Thank you for letting me know. Now I'm wondering what my strategy should be. Should i just be happy w the 18K I got? or does it make sense to ask if there is any way to get more than the 18K I got ( since we know the max is 35K, I'm not sure if that 18K is firm or negotiable)? I can also wait until I get more acceptances that are hopefully lower tuition, like maybe an in state one. and then ask them? what do you think?

Hi @pinchybug, got it. Thank you for letting me know. Now I'm wondering what my strategy should be. Should i just be happy w the 18K I got? or does it make sense to ask if there is any way to get more than the 18K I got ( since we know the max is 35K, I'm not sure if that 18K is firm or negotiable)? I can also wait until I get more acceptances that are hopefully lower tuition, like maybe an in state one. and then ask them? what do you think?
Is the 18k you got a merit scholarship or your need-based financial aid? I think it wouldn’t hurt to email them and say you have a bigger aid offer at another school and want to know if they could match it

Does anyone know what the dress code is for Saturday for the March visit? I know Friday is business casual but I cannot find the dress code for Saturday

the admitted students fb page has a post on this, I think basically business casual all weekend is good, except for the night events with students which can be casual
Ah ok thanks!!! See y’all there :)

Does anyone know what kind of merit scholarships UVA gives out? Also if anyone gets offered one pls post here since they send decisions out for everyone who gets one at the same time but idk if they’ll tell us if we don’t get offered one

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know what kind of merit scholarships UVA gives out? Also if anyone gets offered one pls post here since they send decisions out for everyone who gets one at the same time but idk if they’ll tell us if we don’t get offered one
Also wondering this^

echoing this - has anyone received a merit scholarship yet? does UVA give generous merit aid? what types of stats qualify for merit aid?

So per a phone call w/ financial aid and their website, the admissions office does offer their own, incredibly limited, merit scholarships. The financial aid office only offers need based aid. They (fin aid or admissions) will not officially match offers, but I was told by fin aid if you have a full ride somewhere else, or would require more financial assistance to email admissions directly with information.

Assuming any merit scholarships are full tuition but it’s completely possible they’re only partial. I personally have no idea what characteristics they’re looking for so my apologies on not being helpful on that end!

Re: merit scholarships, I looked over the last couple of years and they were given out on April 6-7, just FYI for anyone wondering.

I have no idea what criteria they use to distribute them.

Re: merit scholarships, I looked over the last couple of years and they were given out on April 6-7, just FYI for anyone wondering.

I have no idea what criteria they use to distribute them.
Did anyone mention how much they got?

So per a phone call w/ financial aid and their website, the admissions office does offer their own, incredibly limited, merit scholarships. The financial aid office only offers need based aid. They (fin aid or admissions) will not officially match offers, but I was told by fin aid if you have a full ride somewhere else, or would require more financial assistance to email admissions directly with information.

Assuming any merit scholarships are full tuition but it’s completely possible they’re only partial. I personally have no idea what characteristics they’re looking for so my apologies on not being helpful on that end!
Adding on that I emailed the adcom to tell them about another scholarship offer I have and they said “Scholarship funding is quite limited only going to a small number of students, and the award amounts are modest.” They also said decisions will be released “very soon”

Did anyone mention how much they got?
Not that I saw. I think in the financial aid meeting on my interview day, the woman running the session said that she can't remember anyone ever getting a full tuition merit scholarship. Something along those lines.

Last edited:
Look like I’ll be staying in Charlottesville for 4 years 🫡

I got assigned Inova. Did y’all put Inova as your preference or either?

It’s actually pretty odd they spend so much time selling us on INOVA on our interview day + post interview meetings like second looks. It would make more sense to talk about them equally since 3/4 of the class is staying in Charlottesville or some of the branch hospitals for rotations. From what I could tell, plenty of accepted students would want to go to INOVA without any convincing anyway.

What is the benefit of INOVA over Charlottesville? Needing to move again seems like an inconvenience to me

Person dependent! For me I like cville and don’t mind 1.5 years there, but I’d much rather live near a major city with a more diverse patient population. I’m majorly moved by working with diverse underserved populations so for me the choice was clear. That’s not to say UVA’s patient pop isn’t diverse, but compared to NoVA the difference is drastic.

This def isn’t a knock on UVA’s hospital system, I can see why someone would want to stay. I just don’t understand why there was such a large emphasis on INOVA. Some MS1s were saying they wanted to go and couldn’t so I don’t think there’s an issue getting people to go. But idk

Reactions: 2 users