2022-2023 Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A today! interviewed 11/2--the turnaround time is insane!!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Folks,

Does anyone here have tips on how I should prepare for my interview at UVA?

Reactions: 1 user
Is there a reason that this state school's stats are so much higher than most, if not all, other state schools? Is that mostly a result of them being super selective with their OOS applicants or is it also that much harder for IS applicants?

OOS A received. I'm sitting on the bus and fighting tears.

I'm so, so happy for everyone else who got their As this morning. You'll all be astounding doctors. Congratulations.
I didn't apply here so I missed this, but have seen your posts in some of the TX school threads. Big-time congratulations and I wish you the best on your journey!!!

Guess we shouldn’t expect decisions anytime soon
I believe they meet every Friday and release decisions the next week. At least that's what the website says and we've seen people with pretty quick turnaround on this thread.

OOS A at 11am, turnaround time really is super fast, I interviewed earlier this week 😯

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to all As! Has anyone gotten an II recently?

Doesn’t look like any II in November, do we think they are done sending any?

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS II today! never expected to get an II from this school!

Reactions: 4 users
I just had my interview today, great experience! Does anyone know if we are able to send thank you notes to our interviewers?

OOS first A! Honestly staring at my phone in disbelief right now

Reactions: 4 users
How soon before the interview did people get assigned a virtual host student? Also any comments on what the interview was like would be appreciated!

How soon before the interview did people get assigned a virtual host student? Also any comments on what the interview was like would be appreciated!
Virtual host student: I got the interview invite on 10/20 and received a separate email about student hosting from an SNMA rep on the same day. The hosting email had a few questions to pair us with a host and asked us to respond with our answers at least 2 weeks before the interview day. I completely forgot about the hosting email until I rediscovered it 2 days before my interview. I responded to the email, and a student was able to meet with me the following evening (the day before my interview). I'm so grateful she had the time to talk on such short notice so, and I feel like talking to her made me a lot more comfortable before the interview! I would 100% recommend responding to the hosting email ASAP so you can speak to a current student before your interview! My virtual host answered all my questions and gave me great insight into the interview/how to prepare.

Interview: 2 traditional open-file interviews (30-35 min each)
Both of my interviewers were very kind and easy to talk to!!! They made me feel very comfortable and relaxed even though I was nervous. They asked some basic/common questions (tell me about yourself, why medicine, why UVA). They have our primary and secondary applications, so be prepared to talk about anything listed there. I did not feel like they were trying to trick me or find holes in my application; instead, they seemed genuinely interested in learning more about some unique experiences. Have a few specific stories from clinical & non-clinical experiences you can talk about relating to a challenge you faced, maybe a mentor situation that inspired you, and a situation working in a group. Also, be prepared to explain how those experiences affected you or impacted your motive to be a Dr.

Overall, it was a very enjoyable experience that helped me fall in love with the school even more! You're going to do great!!

• Love
Virtual host student: I got the interview invite on 10/20 and received a separate email about student hosting from an SNMA rep on the same day. The hosting email had a few questions to pair us with a host and asked us to respond with our answers at least 2 weeks before the interview day. I completely forgot about the hosting email until I rediscovered it 2 days before my interview. I responded to the email, and a student was able to meet with me the following evening (the day before my interview). I'm so grateful she had the time to talk on such short notice so, and I feel like talking to her made me a lot more comfortable before the interview! I would 100% recommend responding to the hosting email ASAP so you can speak to a current student before your interview! My virtual host answered all my questions and gave me great insight into the interview/how to prepare.

Both of my interviewers were very kind and easy to talk to!!! They made me feel very comfortable and relaxed even though I was nervous. They asked some basic/common questions (tell me about yourself, why medicine, why UVA). They have our primary and secondary applications, so be prepared to talk about anything listed there. I did not feel like they were trying to trick me or find holes in my application; instead, they seemed genuinely interested in learning more about some unique experiences. Have a few specific stories from clinical & non-clinical experiences you can talk about relating to a challenge you faced, maybe a mentor situation that inspired you, and a situation working in a group. Also, be prepared to explain how those experiences affected you or impacted your motive to be a Dr.

Overall, it was a very enjoyable experience that helped me fall in love with the school even more! You're going to do great!!
Thanks for sharing! I did the same thing where I forgot about the hosting email until a week before my interview hahah. I emailed the virtual host email a week before and although I never get a reply from them, I was fortunate enough to still be able to meet with some students before my interview day. +1 on your recommendation of speaking to current students before your interview!

Also, it's interesting to see how different our interviews were. My UVA interviews were both relaxed, but both were super quick (~20 min each). I never even got the "why UVA" question which really threw me off. Still a good experience but left both interviews feeling like there was so much more I wanted to say. I haven't heard anyone else share a similar experience so I thought I'd share.

Goodluck to everyone who's interviewing!!

Thank you so much for sharing this goldmine of info with us! I followed the instructions for a student host on the interview portal (not thru SNMA) but never heard back. I just emailed them again. I am nervous for this interview since UVA is my top choice but you've made me feel better!

OOS II today! Is it worth trying given that it is an rolling school?

• Haha
OOS II today! Is it worth trying given that it is an rolling school?
“Rolling” in terms of medical school admissions doesn’t paint the whole picture. If you consider UVA’s admissions process “rolling” then so is nearly every medical school. In reality, your admission depends on far more factors than your submission or interview date. Plus, they’ve already invited you to interview. Most schools just send out less interview invites as the seats are filled. It doesn’t necessarily mean that the post-interview acceptance rate decreases throughout the cycle.

Does anyone know if UVA is pro or anti update letters? I can't find anything in their portal one way or the other

Does anyone know if UVA is pro or anti update letters? I can't find anything in their portal one way or the other
The portal has the upload document section so I uploaded my update document there 🤷‍♂️

OOS A right around 11 am ET today!

• Love
II IS LM 74.5. There are interview dates available for mid to end of Jan 🙂

Reactions: 5 users
So, based on what I've read from the thread, many of the people that interviewed seemed to have gotten an A right?

Reactions: 1 users