2022-2023 Cooper (Rowan)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @walnutfloor for sharing the questions!

2022-2023 Cooper Medical School of Rowan University Secondary Essay Prompts (questions 3 and 4 have changed since last year)
1. Please write a personal mission statement for yourself as a student at CMSRU. How will CMSRU help you fulfill your mission?

2. Please describe your anticipated educational, employment, volunteer or other activities between completing your AMCAS application and matriculating to medical school.

3. Tell us about something that makes you a unique applicant to CMSRU.

4. Medical school involves hard work and can be stressful at times. Tell us about activities that you use to help maintain a work-life balance and respond to stress.

Additional essay for PC3 Primary Care 3 year track:

For applicants with a serious interest in the PC3 track: please write a short statement that describes your desire to become either a primary care Internist or a primary care Pediatrician and the qualities that make you an excellent choice for the PC3 track and for residency at Cooper. (1000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
OOS received @wysdoc

1. Please write a personal mission statement for yourself as a student at CMSRU. How will CMSRU help you fulfill your mission? (1500 characters)

2. Please describe your anticipated educational, employment, volunteer or other activities between completing your AMCAS application and matriculating to medical school. (1500 characters)

3. Tell us about something that makes you a unique applicant to CMSRU. (1500 characters)

4. Medical school involves hard work and can be stressful at times. Tell us about activities that you use to help maintain a work-life balance and respond to stress. (1500 characters)

Edit to include character counts!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
@wysdoc

There is an additional essay required if you're interested in the PC3 Primary Care 3 year track:

For applicants with a serious interest in the PC3 track: please write a short statement that describes your desire to become either a primary care Internist or a primary care Pediatrician and the qualities that make you an excellent choice for the PC3 track and for residency at Cooper. (1000 characters)

Hello, I’m a rising M2! Please feel free to ask questions here or in my DMs :)

Hello, I’m a rising M2! Please feel free to ask questions here or in my DMs :)

Hello! Do you know if the school sends out secondaries later than usual? Probably just being neurotic but I haven't heard anything from them

Hello! Do you know if the school sends out secondaries later than usual? Probably just being neurotic but I haven't heard anything from them
Secondaries have been sending out

So from what I know, they don’t send out secondaries later than usual. But they also don’t send secondaries to everyone.

Reactions: 2 users
Those who have received secondaries could you let us know when you were verified? I am OOS and have not received one yet :,(

Members don't see this ad :)
So from what I know, they don’t send out secondaries later than usual. But they also don’t send secondaries to everyone.

Oooo thank you. That's super surprising considering the cash grab

Those who have received secondaries could you let us know when you were verified? I am OOS and have not received one yet :,(
Verified yesterday, received OOS secondary a few minutes after

Interview invite (early decision) received! First date available 8/26

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
II today 2:59 PM EST

RD

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else still waiting on a secondary?

Hey, anyone know if you submit after 2 weeks are you basically discarded to them?

Hey, anyone know if you submit after 2 weeks are you basically discarded to them?
No. I’m a rising M2 at Cooper and when I applied, I submitted after two weeks. But of course, it’s always better to submit ASAP because interview spots fill up.

If you don't hear anything at the secondary stage at this point, is it worth reaching out to the adcom or better to assume you got pre-screened? I haven't been pre-screened from any other program, and I added Cooper to the list in July (was verified in late June).

If you don't hear anything at the secondary stage at this point, is it worth reaching out to the adcom or better to assume you got pre-screened? I haven't been pre-screened from any other program, and I added Cooper to the list in July (was verified in late June).
Was also wondering this

Was also wondering this
If you are OOS, they may have pre-screened you. It also takes time to send secondaries and they could come in within the next couple weeks.

Reactions: 4 users
Current M3 at CMSRU - happy to answer any questions here or via private message. Don't worry about not getting a secondary yet; they screen very carefully so it could take some time for you to get one.

Current M3 at CMSRU - happy to answer any questions here or via private message. Don't worry about not getting a secondary yet; they screen very carefully so it could take some time for you to get one.
I asked another person this but does submitting over the 2 week deadline really hurt? I messed up and submitted it late, I only found out about CMSRU recently and I found that they have so many programs I am interested in. Would love to learn more about the Center for Humanism, Professionalism, Medical Ethics, and Law if you care to share! Does that play a role in your curriculum and if so how? Also any main things you like/dislike about the school?

I asked another person this but does submitting over the 2 week deadline really hurt? I messed up and submitted it late, I only found out about CMSRU recently and I found that they have so many programs I am interested in. Would love to learn more about the Center for Humanism, Professionalism, Medical Ethics, and Law if you care to share! Does that play a role in your curriculum and if so how? Also any main things you like/dislike about the school?

I'm not sure there's an official 2 week deadline. On SDN they tell you 2 weeks as a general rule of thumb. Obviously the sooner you can do it the better but if you're a good mission fit then it *almost* doesn't matter when you submit.

When you're shopping around for medical schools you look for the unique things e.g. like the center you mentioned that make the school special but once you get to medical school (and this is just my perspective), it's really all about the clinical (and preclinical) education. So one school can have a nice XYZ center and another school can have a nice ABC center but ultimately 90-95% of your time will be preoccupied by clinical education. But ya you can get involved with it if you want - I'm not very familiar with it. They do host a number of lectures in the Scholar's Workshop curriculum.

Main things I like and dislike: It's a very collaborative school. I wouldn't be able to pass without the help of my friends, classmates, and class overall. Upperclassmen have made school specific resources that are passed down which is really nice. No glaring negatives - just that it's still a "communiversity" clinical center so it's in this continual transition to getting bigger and better. The number of research opportunities etc are fewer / you have to make your own. But Cooper is really stepping up their game by poaching/hiring (and retaining) big name faculty from around the northeast. It's getting better every year.

OOS II at 10 am, 73 LM 75 WARS

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
OOS, added Cooper to my list last night and received secondary early morning today

Does anybody have any interview insight/tips for CMSRU? Do they do MMI? All I know is it's completely virtual and there's a large group interaction followed by your individual 30 minute interview.

I'm interviewing 8/26—is anybody else on here also?

Does anybody have any interview insight/tips for CMSRU? Do they do MMI? All I know is it's completely virtual and there's a large group interaction followed by your individual 30 minute interview.

I'm interviewing 8/26—is anybody else on here also?

No MMI! It’s individual interviews

I'm a relatively high mcat, low gpa applicant (plus high SMP). Does anyone know if they have a GPA screen?

Just got the call from Dr. Kocher!! Got the A (early decision)!!! So freakin excited!

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Verified primary 07/17 and still havent gotten secondary. Anyone else in the same boat?

Last edited:
Has anyone with a late July/early Aug completion date received II?

Hi all, I am pretty late to the application cycle. I realized I should have taken the AAMC Preview earlier on, but was not expecting on applying. Now that I submitted my primary, I went to schedule the Preview exam and the next available date is for Oct 12. What should I do? I know it's recommended, not required, but I still want to complete it as I feel like it would probably look bad if I don't. I guess just schedule and take for Oct 12??? Won't they read my application before seeing the preview score though.,..? I'm so lost and stressing out now

Hi all, I am pretty late to the application cycle. I realized I should have taken the AAMC Preview earlier on, but was not expecting on applying. Now that I submitted my primary, I went to schedule the Preview exam and the next available date is for Oct 12. What should I do? I know it's recommended, not required, but I still want to complete it as I feel like it would probably look bad if I don't. I guess just schedule and take for Oct 12??? Won't they read my application before seeing the preview score though.,..? I'm so lost and stressing out now
I received an II this week and I did not do Preview so my assumption is that it doesn’t look “bad” if you don’t do it. If your secondaires are submitted already they’re likely going to review your app before you take Preview or before they receive the scores. So if you feel like taking it then go ahead but I wouldn’t stress over it