2022-2023 Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those who interviewed in September/Early october that are worrying about no acceptance yet: I just checked last year's thread and there were students who got accepted in late December and early January who had interviewed in September. One of them had a 4.0 and 518 MCAT, one of them had a 3.7 and 511 MCAT...one was even IS with a 4.0 and 523 MCAT...so the timing of the A's truly seems random. Hang in there.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
does anyone know about when they start to announce both merit and need-based scholarships/grants? (if they haven’t started announcing merit scholarships yet) I’m guessing spring for the ones determined by FAFSA, but I know the merit ones aren’t influenced by parental income!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Got the A email today at 2:30! In-state, 511 MCAT, 4.0 GPA. Interviewed 11/4

Reactions: 6 users
does anyone know about when they start to announce both merit and need-based scholarships/grants? (if they haven’t started announcing merit scholarships yet) I’m guessing spring for the ones determined by FAFSA, but I know the merit ones aren’t influenced by parental income!
I’m not sure about the timeline for need-based scholarships, but I received a merit scholarship a few hours after the acceptance. Any others have a similar experience?

Anyone here interview on rural interest day (10/14)? Have you heard back?

Reactions: 1 users
Did some more digging on old threads; not sure of the validity of this, but someone said the adcom picks 25 applications at random to review each week. There is apparently a 2 week span when your app can't be picked, and this would make sense as to why many apps seem to get reviewed anywhere from 3-7 weeks, as that would be a normal random distribution. It would also explain why there is a slight chronological order to acceptances but nothing consistent at all--some people who interview in early September hear back in January.

Again, no confirmation on the validity of this.

Members don't see this ad :)
what are my chances here of getting accepted here w a 511 mcat? Im out of state and already had the interview but feeling discouraged because it seems like they only accept high mcat people for OOS

what are my chances here of getting accepted here w a 511 mcat? Im out of state and already had the interview but feeling discouraged because it seems like they only accept high mcat people for OOS
I'm accepted with a lower MCAT, so keep your head up!

• Care
Anybody know if updates/letters of interest are excepted post-interview? Thanks :)

Anybody know if updates/letters of interest are excepted post-interview? Thanks :)
Letters of interest aren’t accepted to Iowa. If you have a dip in bad grades, time off, or a new activity that’s meaningful you can make an update!

Are they releasing decisions today?

• Hmm
I’m surprised theres been no other decisions in this thread today

Accepted via email around 12 PM PST! OOS, ORM, LizzyM 72, WARS 81. Interview 10/26 (roughly)

I thought they do rolling admissions? why is it that people who interviewed in September and people who interviewed in November are getting offers on the same day?

I thought they do rolling admissions? why is it that people who interviewed in September and people who interviewed in November are getting offers on the same day?
Rolling admissions doesn't necessarily mean they review people in chronological order. Rolling just means decisions are sent out regularly during the review phase as opposed to all in one or few batches.

Rolling admissions doesn't necessarily mean they review people in chronological order. Rolling just means decisions are sent out regularly during the review phase as opposed to all in one or few batches.
Things such as a high MCAT/high GPA, good interview, and or diversity and clinical and volunteer experiences I think can get your app reviewed quicker.

Correct! Also, a big chunk (I've heard over half) of total admissions are accepted in the Final Pool in March.

Over half wow! That's reassuring.
I know that anywhere from 15-40+ students are accepted from the IS waitlist in recent years, and that around 30-50+ tend to make it from the OOS waitlist in recent years. That doesn't even include those that are accepted automatically from the final pool without being waitlisted. So if we take a middle amount from both of those ranges, 25 IS and 40 OOS, that's 65 seats accepted from the waitlist, not including those accepted from the final pool without being waitlisted.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed late October and haven’t heard anything. Should I just expect to wait until March at this point?

Fingers crossed for some decisions today

Reactions: 5 users
Do we know if ADCOM meets during finals week?
They do. My guess is that they accepted people yesterday who aren't SDN users; there is a chance they pushed the meeting to today though. Good luck everyone!