2022-2023 Kaiser Permanente (Tyson)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you @flyon_littlewing9587 for sharing the questions!

2022-2023 Kaiser Permanente (Tyson) Secondary Essay Prompts

1) During your career as a physician, you will potentially encounter obstacles, and be required to overcome challenges. Please describe your experience with a situation that had an unfavorable outcome, including your reaction, how you might have responded differently, and what you learned about yourself. (250 words)

2) Kaiser Permanente is committed to advancing equity, inclusion, and diversity for all. How will you contribute to the diversity of the Kaiser Permanente Bernard J. Tyson School of Medicine? (250 words)

3) Lifelong learning is an essential process for continued professional development. This includes reflection and being open and responsive to constructive feedback. Please tell us about an area of intellectual exploration you’re passionate about, and your approach to exploring this area. (250 words)

4) (Optional) Please describe how you have been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic (no word limit given)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
Kaiser Permanente Bernard J. Tyson School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just posted a new podcast episode with the admissions counselor at KP SOM. Find it at All Access: Med School Admissions. 👊

Reactions: 9 users
According to info session, Kaiser will do in-person interview this year.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Received notification of app submission 5:02 am PST. IS.

Last edited:
secondary received. Prompts below:

1) During your career as a physician, you will potentially encounter obstacles, and be required to overcome challenges. Please describe your experience with a situation that had an unfavorable outcome, including your reaction, how you might have responded differently, and what you learned about yourself.

2)Kaiser Permanente is committed to advancing equity, inclusion, and diversity for all. How will you contribute to the diversity of the Kaiser Permanente Bernard J. Tyson School of Medicine?

3)Lifelong learning is an essential process for continued professional development. This includes reflection and being open and responsive to constructive feedback. Please tell us about an area of intellectual exploration you’re passionate about, and your approach to exploring this area.

4)Please describe how you have been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic (Optional):

essays 1-3 have limit of 250 words

essay 4 has no limit

secondary received. Prompts below:

1) During your career as a physician, you will potentially encounter obstacles, and be required to overcome challenges. Please describe your experience with a situation that had an unfavorable outcome, including your reaction, how you might have responded differently, and what you learned about yourself.

2)Kaiser Permanente is committed to advancing equity, inclusion, and diversity for all. How will you contribute to the diversity of the Kaiser Permanente Bernard J. Tyson School of Medicine?

3)Lifelong learning is an essential process for continued professional development. This includes reflection and being open and responsive to constructive feedback. Please tell us about an area of intellectual exploration you’re passionate about, and your approach to exploring this area.

4)Please describe how you have been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic (Optional):

essays 1-3 have limit of 250 words

essay 4 has no limit
@wysdoc

Anyone know the rec letter requirements? I can't seem to find it on their website

Is secondary received. Definitely one of my top choices.

Members don't see this ad :)
IS applicant here, non-trad, URM, GPA barely above a 3.0 with 509 MCAT

Secondary received on 06/29 and submitted today lol

Def one of my top choices, good luck to everyone in the app process

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary received today. IS applicant. Non-trad. Does anyone know if Kaiser screens primaries?

Last edited:
Sorry y'all! I would literally cry if I got an II.

So does anyone know.. are primaries screened???

TBH I'm taking all the info in this with a grain of salt. I read last year that it was reported a similar AAMC doc that USC started sending interview invites on 7/12 but there wasn't any reports of II's until mid august for USC. Could also be sampling bias.
This was directly provided by the med schools though, but I totally agree that it could be inaccurate because things change etc and not everything goes as planned, even for the med schools. Still kinda hoping IIs go out this week haha

This was directly provided by the med schools though, but I totally agree that it could be inaccurate because things change etc and not everything goes as planned, even for the med schools. Still kinda hoping IIs go out this week haha

Cautious optimism 🥲

I believe I heard IIs would come out next month for Kaiser. I am a reapplicant and met with an adcom person to review my app and I believe I remember them saying that.

no secondary and I was verified on thursday. Anyone else not get a secondary

Scheduled maintenance on the site Monday from 11-3. Wonder if that means they’re prepping to sent out IIs

Reactions: 1 users
Scheduled maintenance on the site Monday from 11-3. Wonder if that means they’re prepping to sent out IIs
Upon submission, my thing says that it is "Awaiting Review." Does you all of yours say "Your application is now complete and awaiting review" as well or something else, such as "Under Review?" I'd like to know so I can know if I am even in the running for a potential interview tomorrow.

Upon submission, my thing says that it is "Awaiting Review." Does you all of yours say "Your application is now complete and awaiting review" as well or something else, such as "Under Review?" I'd like to know so I can know if I am even in the running for a potential interview tomorrow.
Mine also says awaiting review and I submitted 7/5

Mine says “your application is now complete and awaiting review”. Submitted 6/30

I was verified about 3 weeks ago and still haven’t received secondary. Is this normal for Kaiser? Only school I haven’t received a secondary from pretty much

3) Lifelong learning is an essential process for continued professional development. This includes reflection and being open and responsive to constructive feedback. Please tell us about an area of intellectual exploration you’re passionate about, and your approach to exploring this area. (250 words)
What are people's thoughts on the part about being open and responsive to feedback? That seems totally unrelated to the actual question about intellectual exploration. Is it something we should try to loop in to the answer somehow?

What are people's thoughts on the part about being open and responsive to feedback? That seems totally unrelated to the actual question about intellectual exploration. Is it something we should try to loop in to the answer somehow?
I wouldn't say it's totally unrelated- obviously feedback is a part of learning. I talked about a mentor I had and looped it in that way.

I talked about history and how I have historically explored my interest in it. I didn't really talk about constructive feedback. I think it definitely depends on what you choose to talk about and how constructive feedback might be incorporated

I talked about history and how I have historically explored my interest in it. I didn't really talk about constructive feedback. I think it definitely depends on what you choose to talk about and how constructive feedback might be incorporated
I agree with this.

You want to focus on LEARNING so I would do that. Feedback is something that should be included as part of something. For instance when I talked about cooking I talked about how I got feedback from people on my recipes. Talk about response to feedback, just as a part of the essay. Should be a quick little part. Learning things involves gaining feedback to improve.