2021-2022 Kaiser (Tyson)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @RunningMSN for sharing the secondary prompts!

2021-2022 Kaiser Permanente (Tyson) Secondary Essay Prompts:

1. During your career as a physician, you will potentially encounter many obstacles and be required to overcome many challenges. Resilience is a prerequisite for success in medical school and beyond. Describe your experience with a situation that had an unfavorable outcome. How did you react, and how might you have responded differently? What did you learn about yourself? (250 words)

2. Kaiser Permanente is nationally recognized for its achievements in the realm of equity, inclusion, and diversity. How will you contribute to the diversity of the Kaiser Permanente Bernard J. Tyson School of Medicine? (250 words)

3. Lifelong learning is an essential process for continued professional development in physicians that includes reflection and being open and responsive to constructive feedback. Tell us about an area of intellectual exploration you are passionate about and have sustained over time. What means have you used to explore this area? (250 words)

4. Please describe how you have been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic (Optional): (unlimited)

MD/PhD:
1. Please list publications and papers submitted. Include one or two sentences describing your role on each publication.
(unlimited)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that Kaiser only takes CA residents? Would it be useless to apply here if you're from the South? Trying to narrow down my list.

I read somewhere that Kaiser only takes CA residents? Would it be useless to apply here if you're from the South? Trying to narrow down my list.

25 CA and 25 OOS
According to MSAR

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! :) I wonder if those are neighboring states but I guess I'll give it a shot
16 states, including CA

like 8 states from east coast, 4 midwest, 4 west coast

Thanks! :) I wonder if those are neighboring states but I guess I'll give it a shot
I feel like every CA private school ends up being mostly Californians because there are so many of them and not enough protected in-state spots at the public schools. It doesn't mean they have a bias, but its a large part of their applicant pool and also those people are more likely to accept a spot/wait on the waitlist longer.

Reactions: 1 users
1. During your career as a physician, you will potentially encounter many obstacles and be required to overcome many challenges. Resilience is a prerequisite for success in medical school and beyond. Describe your experience with a situation that had an unfavorable outcome. How did you react, and how might you have responded differently? What did you learn about yourself? (250 words)

2. Kaiser Permanente is nationally recognized for its achievements in the realm of equity, inclusion, and diversity. How will you contribute to the diversity of the Kaiser Permanente Bernard J. Tyson School of Medicine? (250 words)

3. Lifelong learning is an essential process for continued professional development in physicians that includes reflection and being open and responsive to constructive feedback. Tell us about an area of intellectual exploration you are passionate about and have sustained over time. What means have you used to explore this area? (250 words)

4. Please describe how you have been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic (Optional): (unlimited)

MD/PhD:
1. Please list publications and papers submitted. Include one or two sentences describing your role on each publication. (unlimited)

@wysdoc

I'm a reapplicant here - I updated my email address via AMCAS months ago and so far every school except Kaiser has emailed me at my updated email address. I received my secondary for Kaiser at the address I used for last year's application. Should I reach out to them to update my email address? I don't know if there's anything else I can do since AMCAS has my old email address.

MD/PhD:
1. Please list publications and papers submitted. Include one or two sentences describing your role on each publication. (unlimited)
+1

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a reapplicant here - I updated my email address via AMCAS months ago and so far every school except Kaiser has emailed me at my updated email address. I received my secondary for Kaiser at the address I used for last year's application. Should I reach out to them to update my email address? I don't know if there's anything else I can do since AMCAS has my old email address.
same...it's not a huge deal for me but it is annoying, since i scrubbed my old email entirely from my amcas account

I tried looking on the secondary portal to see if we could update contact info there but I couldn't find anything. If it's going to be a detriment to your application, maybe email admissions about getting that changed.

same...it's not a huge deal for me but it is annoying, since i scrubbed my old email entirely from my amcas account

I tried looking on the secondary portal to see if we could update contact info there but I couldn't find anything. If it's going to be a detriment to your application, maybe email admissions about getting that changed.
Thanks! It shouldn't be a huge issue, it's just annoying to go back and forth and I'm a little worried that I may miss correspondence from them if it's using a different email address from all of my other applications. Good luck on your reapplication!

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
A little confused about the letter of rec requirement. For non committee letters website states: "Three to six individual letters submitted by three professionals familiar with your academic performance and personal attributes" I'm not sure why they add the 'three professionals" part...does this mean they want 3 letters?

A little confused about the letter of rec requirement. For non committee letters website states: "Three to six individual letters submitted by three professionals familiar with your academic performance and personal attributes" I'm not sure why they add the 'three professionals" part...does this mean they want 3 letters?
I interpret that as of the 3-6 letters submitted, at least 3 letters should be from professors.

I interpret that as of the 3-6 letters submitted, at least 3 letters should be from professors.
I don't think that it needs to be from professors, I think professionals can also include physicians and/or employers

I don't think that it needs to be from professors, I think professionals can also include physicians and/or employers
The “academic performance” bit is what led me to think professors. But at this point it may be best to just email admissions and ask for a real answer

Dang I just found out about the lawsuit they received, for being racist to a professor there and firing her. Then they talk about being equal to all on their website. Idk

Just got marked complete, is everyone else still "awaiting review" as their status?

Mine says that too, I've been complete since July 4
Yo how do you get the
" MD 2021-2022: TX ORM | LM ~ 73.5 | WARS A Level | Last updated on: July 20
TMDSAS = Complete: 11 | II: 0 | Prematch: 0 | Match: ____ | Pre 2° R: maybe Dell
AMCAS = 1°: 12 | 2°: 11 | II: 0 | A: 0 | WL: 0 | Post-II R: 0 | Pre-II R: 0 | Pre 2° R: maybe UCSF" underneath your comments?

Yo how do you get the
" MD 2021-2022: TX ORM | LM ~ 73.5 | WARS A Level | Last updated on: July 20
TMDSAS = Complete: 11 | II: 0 | Prematch: 0 | Match: ____ | Pre 2° R: maybe Dell
AMCAS = 1°: 12 | 2°: 11 | II: 0 | A: 0 | WL: 0 | Post-II R: 0 | Pre-II R: 0 | Pre 2° R: maybe UCSF" underneath your comments?
click on profile name in top right, click signature, add your tracker

Pre-COVID cycles Kaiser had already given out some II's by now and MSAR says they'll be doing II's in july - so could be coming soon!

the portal login page says: "This website will undergo system maintenance on Wednesday, July 21, 2021 from 5:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. PST." maybe that means IIs are coming soon!

• Hmm
the portal login page says: "This website will undergo system maintenance on Wednesday, July 21, 2021 from 5:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. PST." maybe that means IIs are coming soon!
Manifesting IIs on Thursday!

submitted mine weeks ago, not marked complete cus i assigned a letter that i haven't received yet. i've been hounding my prof for the letter to no response, does anyone know how to "unassign it" or delete it so I can hve the app marked complete

submitted mine weeks ago, not marked complete cus i assigned a letter that i haven't received yet. i've been hounding my prof for the letter to no response, does anyone know how to "unassign it" or delete it so I can hve the app marked complete
You can go to your amcas and then indicate the letter as no longer being sent. You can’t I unassign it unfortunately

What are the consequences of marking the letter as no longer being sent, if you dont me me asking?

What are the consequences of marking the letter as no longer being sent, if you dont me me asking?
I’m not sure there is a “consequence” per se. From what I’ve seen, people just interpret it as the letter is no longer being sent. There could be a million reasons why a letter doesn’t get sent, but each school will probably interpret it differently. Not sure if that helps though.

it does thank you! Might end up just doing that, dont wanna keep delaying kaiser reviewing my app cus its my first choice

It is true that Kaiser has primarily outpatient clerkships/rotations?

just submitted. i hope they pick me but they probably wont.

Anyone know how long it takes for the letter status to change to complete? It says they received all the letters but no checkmark