2021-2022 Kaiser (Tyson)

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Whoops, accidentally posted to last year’s page…

Can someone please clarify the state of the controversy regarding KPSOM’s firing of Dr. Khoury. The most recent info I could find was an article in Forbes (2/21) but it didn’t outline any new information, or include info from the letter the school released in 1/21 where they cite covid violations and inaccuracies in her credentials.

I’m not seeing anything that doesn’t point to her firing due to complaints lodge about the 8/28 class she taught.

This isn’t something anyone can ignore. I’m looking for more information to understand the whole story before deciding whether to move forward with KPSOM.

Anyone have an update, or a source that shows an actual substantive response from the school as to why they fired her after suspending her due to complaints pertaining to her lecture/discussion?
Email the admissions office, please let us know how they respond
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The educational research emails kill me every time. Especially when it's a Wednesday and I interviewed recently.
Dude, these emails really tainted my view of the school. Like, not even getting bitter or anything that I haven’t heard back, just stop sending me these spam emails about your research, when you know the only email I want to see is an II or an R lol. Like, are you really so desperate for study participants that you have to pester your applicants? Just a bit tacky and annoying imo.
 
Dude, these emails really tainted my view of the school. Like, not even getting bitter or anything that I haven’t heard back, just stop sending me these spam emails about your research, when you know the only email I want to see is an II or an R lol. Like, are you really so desperate for study participants that you have to pester your applicants? Just a bit tacky and annoying imo.
Unsubscribe, should be at bottom of email. Unless you want more of the stupid email
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's not right. I submitted MD/PhD in October and received an II. Note that Kaiser/Caltech is not yet MSTP since they are new.
I think that if you’re just regular MD, you needed to have submitted in July/early August to have a shot at this school. I’m not sure exactly what’s going on, but the vast majority of regular MD applicants at Kaiser that are getting IIs submitted their app in July. Same thing is happening at UC Irvine as well. Most regular MDs that got IIs submitted in July (only 1 reported II was complete 8/5, just this past week too), whereas MD/PhD applicants are getting interviews despite submitting in August and September. My guess is that since there are more MD applicants than MD/PhD, it takes a lot longer to sift through the apps so they go a lot slower.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Today at the interview, the current student who was in our breakout room said that Kaiser really does consider all applicants, even those who interview in March, and that we shouldn't think we don't have a shot just because we got the II later. She didn't outright say that she was speaking from personal experience, but seemed pretty adamant about it (maybe there are people in current class who interviewed later in cycle??).

Either way, gave me hope!!
 
Does Kaiser accept LOI pre-decision/post-interview or for waitlisted people post-interview? Couldn’t find any info on this.
 
Do you think there will be some acceptances going out today? I interviewed mid-Jan and have not heard anything back yet.
 
Do you think there will be some acceptances going out today? I interviewed mid-Jan and have not heard anything back yet.
Seems like the couple released acceptances reported on SDN have been Wednesday around 10am-12noon PST. There was also one reported on a Thursday morning!

Kaiser's timeline on the secondary app portal says that "Final decisions released on a rolling basis" ends on 03/20. It's possible that there might not be acceptances going out today and that mass decisions (A/WL/R) will be released next week.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad