2022-2023 Lincoln Memorial University DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine (LMU-DCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi! Any current OMS1 or OMS2 on here that would be willing to answer a few questions about studying material for exams?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi - I scheduled a tour and I was wondering what people typically wear on the campus tours? Is there a certain dress code? Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
If I have an interview next Friday the 14th when should I expect to hear back?

I have a few questions for anybody who might know. What is the cap for seats in Knoxville and Harrogate and does anybody know how many people have been admitted already? Also, is March 10th, 17th and April 14th the last of the interview dates?
I don’t know if it’s different this cycle but my class started with slightly over 200 in Knox.

Hi! Any current OMS1 or OMS2 on here that would be willing to answer a few questions about studying material for exams?

I’m a current first year if you want to message me any questions. I might take a little bit to get back to you though because of exams and such.

Sure! Anyone can PM me about any questions, I dont readily read the thread so tag me if you have a specific question related to previous posts etc.

Also just to give hope to any out there (As a current OMS1 at knox) I wasnt accepted off the waitlist until May 27th. Its painful to wait, ik, but keep your head up as much as possible!!

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So what happens during the two group interviews we aren’t in?

So what happens during the two group interviews we aren’t in?
If you mean the remaining scheduled interviews left, I think there are still actively accepting students. Although, the majority of students at this point get waitlisted, there are still acceptances being extended. It is quite a game! Don’t loose hope…they could see something special in you…

If you mean the remaining scheduled interviews left, I think there are still actively accepting students. Although, the majority of students at this point get waitlisted, there are still acceptances being extended. It is quite a game! Don’t loose hope…they could see something special in you…
Oh sorry not quite. On interview day i guess there’s 3 group interview sessions (1,2,3) and I think we only are assigned one group so I didn’t know what we do for the other hour we aren’t in?

Oh sorry for the misunderstanding! Basically, you will be in a virtual platform discussing school topics with different faculty members and students. Once your time for interview comes, they will move you to another room with the interviewers. After you are done you return back to the discussion section!

Oh sorry for the misunderstanding! Basically, you will be in a virtual platform discussing school topics with different faculty members and students. Once your time for interview comes, they will move you to another room with the interviewers. After you are done you return back to the discussion section!
Ok that makes sense! Thanks :)

Interviewed 1/20, accepted 2/7 & placed at Harrogate campus, switched to Knoxville 4/11.

Withdrawing my A! I hope it goes to one of you. Best of luck future doctors :')

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted off the waitlist via phone call a few hours, waitlisted end of February.

Reactions: 9 users
Will a letter of intent greatly help us in getting off the waitlist? How important is it to do? If every applicant sends one in I’m wondering the value in it.

Will a letter of intent greatly help us in getting off the waitlist? How important is it to do? If every applicant sends one in I’m wondering the value in it.
It’s probably a mixed bag of it helps and it doesn’t do much. Like if you’re relatively high on their WL, it’ll probably help, but if you’re near bottom on their current WL, it probably won’t change much. End conclusion: if you got something significant to say or update, then sure, but if not, it probably won’t help.

It’s probably a mixed bag of it helps and it doesn’t do much. Like if you’re relatively high on their WL, it’ll probably help, but if you’re near bottom on their current WL, it probably won’t change much. End conclusion: if you got something significant to say or update, then sure, but if not, it probably won’t help.
That makes sense. I doubt mine would make any difference. I don’t have any major changes to my application since being put on the waitlist.

I was accepted a couple months ago and I am touring both campuses this Saturday. I was wondering if people normally bring guests on the tour? My mom wants to go but I'm not sure if that's appropriate or not

I was accepted a couple months ago and I am touring both campuses this Saturday. I was wondering if people normally bring guests on the tour? My mom wants to go but I'm not sure if that's appropriate or not
On my tour basically everyone had 1-4 guests

Yes, guests are welcome to attend.

Just had my interview yesterday! Definitely left knowing this is where I will attend if I get accepted! Does anyone know if there are any post-interview steps to take? I thought they mentioned they would send a form right after interviews to rank campuses, but I haven't received anything yet

Just had my interview yesterday! Definitely left knowing this is where I will attend if I get accepted! Does anyone know if there are any post-interview steps to take? I thought they mentioned they would send a form right after interviews to rank campuses, but I haven't received anything yet
You’ll get Harrogate regardless of what you rank, but you can later email to be placed on the Knoxville waitlist if you so choose. You could send thank-you letters if you haven’t done so already

Reactions: 1 users
You’ll get Harrogate regardless of what you rank, but you can later email to be placed on the Knoxville waitlist if you so choose. You could send thank-you letters if you haven’t done so already
Thanks for the info! Already sent thank-you letters, and Harrogate would my preferred choice anyway, so that's perfect!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi, just some questions for current students or anyone that could answer...
- Is DCOM p/f?
-Do they have mandatory attendance?
-How supported do you feel by the school? Do you feel like they are setting you up for success?
- How is it living in Harrogate?
- Anything you would change?

- Is DCOM p/f?
-How supported do you feel by the school? Do you feel like they are setting you up for success?
Not a current student but DCOM is graded, that's certain

- Is DCOM p/f?
First year DO. DCOM is almost entirely graded with some exceptions. There will only be a handful of mandatory attendance lectures but labs are of course mandatory. I feel very supported by the school there is an absolutely treasure trove of student support for classes. The professors will regularly post their office hours and are more than happy to help anyone with some even giving out their personal contact information. I don’t have personal experience with how LMU handles mental health but from the amount of emails and messages I receive offering services I think it is good.

I live in Knoxville so can’t say for Harrogate but I have heard that it’s much cheaper but can be difficult to find off campus housing because of how little there is in the surrounding area. Though finding housing is probably still much easier than finding housing in Knoxville. I have heard that it’s pretty common for Harrogate students to live in Middlesboro, Kentucky where there are actual apartments, stores, and they can apply for Medicaid (TN never expanded Medicaid).

Since I’m only a first year I will only speak on what I’ve experienced. For me there is very little I would change I’m really happy with the professors and the courses. One change I would make is for the semesters to be more equally balanced. The fall semester, at least in my opinion, wasn’t too heavy in studying and courses. Compared to the spring semester where it feels more like two trimesters squished together with how many different courses and exams there are. For example in the fall there would be an exam roughly every two weeks. Whereas about a month into the spring semester we started having exams every single week with how many lectures and content we had. That lasted for a month until spring break and now we have started new courses altogether. It’s entirely doable but it still added a lot of stress and anxiety that I feel wouldn’t have happened if the spring semester was better planned out.

- Is DCOM p/f?
Second year here. To answer your questions in order:
  • DCOM courses are graded, with the exception of FMHC, which is medical ethics, policies, and biostats, which are P/F
  • As of this year, our patient care courses are all mandatory attendance. They track it via quizzes and scanning in during the lecture.
  • Overall, I feel supported. My advisor is super nice, and my cohort is mostly supportive of each other and not of the gunner type. Lots of study guides and tutoring sessions available to all students, as well as mental health and a student health clinic (at least in Harrogate).
  • Living in Harrogate is alright. It's a very short drive (~5 minutes) to campus from any of the Harrogate/Cumberland Gap residences, and a couple minutes more from Middlesboro unless the tunnel gets closed temporarily for transporting trucks containing flammable stuff. Lots of outdoorsy activities if you are into that. Grocery stores are close enough, but there's not much in the way of nightlife (although you'll probably not have much time to do that anyway).
  • I found it really bizarre that they moved White Coat ceremony from the beginning of first year to the end of second year. It was something that started during COVID and they kept around. There are some weeks during the semesters where they stack a bunch of courses, so your breaks might not be actual breaks. I wish they made all the lectures optional attendance again. I am not a fan in the change of course directors for their OMM courses - though it's probably to help with making the courses more similar to how boards will test.
To add on what another student said above, the courses will be increasingly difficult as the semesters progress. First semester is an intro to medical school - lots of labs to take your time, but content-wise not too bad. Second semester will be more like what the rest of pre-clinicals will be. Third semester will be the hardest, and your final semester will be easier only because the sciences end earlier and you get time to prep for boards.

Does anyone know about how many people LMU typically puts on their waitlist?

Hundreds from what last year seemed like. Typically accept 50-70 off the WL
That's what I figured. I wonder how many people they actually get through on the waitlist factoring in the people in between that decline sometimes when they are called to get off the waitlist.

I'm in a strange predicament, and I was hoping to get someone's opinion. So I interviewed last week, but just yesterday I received an email directly from LMU Financial Aid saying they are requesting additional documents for my aid review. I haven't been accepted yet, but I don't know why they would want to fool with extra paperwork if I haven't been accepted. Additionally, it said I have to log into MyLMU account to upload the documents, but I don't even have a MyLMU because I'm not currently an accepted student. Ahh now my brain is going non-stop 😩

I'm in a strange predicament, and I was hoping to get someone's opinion. So I interviewed last week, but just yesterday I received an email directly from LMU Financial Aid saying they are requesting additional documents for my aid review. I haven't been accepted yet, but I don't know why they would want to fool with extra paperwork if I haven't been accepted. Additionally, it said I have to log into MyLMU account to upload the documents, but I don't even have a MyLMU because I'm not currently an accepted student. Ahh now my brain is going non-stop 😩
I also interviewed last week and didn’t get anything like that. Wouldn’t hurt to call them I think.

Reactions: 1 users